• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Must I use the Disney Visa to get the discount?

Aryn

DIS Veteran
I am going to Disneyland in 12 days (yay!) and I want to buy a Disney Dooney Wallet. I have a killer deal on Disney gift cards with the Amex deal so I would like to pay primarily with the Gift cards and just put a couple bucks on the Chase Disney to get the 10% extra off. Is that something I can do? I just can't remember.
Thanks!

You have to use the credit card. I was hoping to pay $100 in cash toward my Dooney last time and then put the difference on the card and was told if I wanted to do it that way, I would not get the 10% off. So, I just ended up putting the whole the on the card to get the discount.

I believe one discount. I do not think you can combine discounts.
Yup! No stacking discounts but IIRC the Disney Visa requires a minimum $50 purchase for the discount to kick in while the AP discount is automatically applied to all eligible purchases regardless of the price.

Yup! No stacking discounts but IIRC the Disney Visa requires a minimum $50 purchase for the discount to kick in while the AP discount is automatically applied to all eligible purchases regardless of the price.

Yep no stacking and for Visa card purchases it all has to be on the card to receive it and it is over $50. No one item has to be $50 but the combined total has to be $50. We use the AP discount because it it is usually 20% on Disney Merchandise. The credit card has the limit because if it's not at least that then they don't collect enough revenue from the transaction to make the discount worth it from their side. Standard fee for CC is 3% but large sellers like Disney get a discount closer to 2% and there is a swipe fee of around 20 cents per charge. So a small vendor that accepts a Visa or Mastercard is paying 3% of the purchase plus 20 cents to accept the card.

This is why so many gas stations offer the cash discount. At $3 a gallon that's 9 cents plus the 20 cent swipe fee or 11 cents a gallon on a 10 gallon sale.

Just tried this at Disneyland in early July...the Castmember said it probably wouldn't work (10% Disney Visa discount but paying with a gift card) but he was willing to try. It didn't work.

I'm not sure that the $50 min applies any more (although that's not an issue for your Dooney). At the Disney Store by me they told me it recently changed to not have the minimum, and I have successfully done it on smaller purchases there.

I'm not sure that the $50 min applies any more (although that's not an issue for your Dooney). At the Disney Store by me they told me it recently changed to not have the minimum, and I have successfully done it on smaller purchases there.

There's two separate 10% discounts now, one for Disney stores and one for Disney Parks. The Disney Parks still needs $50 but the Disney stores it's off any amount. https://disneyrewards.com/shopping-perks/
(If you go into the Disney Vacations section it lists the 10% off $50+ select merchandise discount)

There's two separate 10% discounts now, one for Disney stores and one for Disney Parks. The Disney Parks still needs $50 but the Disney stores it's off any amount. https://disneyrewards.com/shopping-perks/
(If you go into the Disney Vacations section it lists the 10% off $50+ select merchandise discount)

Interesting... I'm not sure why they're making the distinction, but there it is right there on the discount page. Come to think of it, though, I haven't used the discount in park in a long time (AP and/or DVC instead).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter