musical comedy -- the most glorious words in the English language

Briar Rose 7457

Proud of my Princesses
my evening began with a cocktail party at a lovely restaurant at the South Street Seaport. since the weather was cooperating, the restaurant opened up the outside deck. we dined on shrimp cocktail and prime rib under the Brooklyn Bridge.

left the party just before dessert. outside, on the pier, there was a music festival -- latino music, looked like lots of fun. made my way through the crowd and headed for the subway.

took the train to Times Square and headed for the Ford Theater. met up with my sisters, my younger dd and two of my dd's friends. we had tickets for 42nd Street. my sisters, dd and I saw this show when it first opened two years ago, but we got bargain tickets to see it again. last time we sat in the orchestra, this time the balcony. you get a very different persepctive on the choreography up there -- you can actually see the formations. and Tom Wopat as Julian Marsh -- I last saw him in Annie Get Your Gun.

after the show we walked through Times Square. I love all the signs in Ttimes Square, how the whole street is lit up by the ads. you have the MTV store at MTV's studio, the ABC t.v. screen and news zippers over the Good Morning America studio, Reuters has a screen and a zipper. Mr. Peanut is 2 stories tall. and on top of One Times Square the Cup of Noodles ad really gives off steam.

as we walked through the huge crowd, we saw street vendors selling fake Rolexes and coach bags, artists selling their drawings and photos of New York. in front of the Toys R Us store (I love the life sized models of Harry Potter, Hermoine and Hagrid --all made from legos-- which are in the store window) we found a vendor selling I Love NY t-shirts -- $2 for a kids' shirt, $3 for an adult size. my sister bought t shirts for all three kids. next we saw an artist who paints your name. she takes poster board and writes your name, using images such as dolphins, flowers, butterflies, etc. to form the letters. each of the girls had this done. the kids bought floats from Mr. Softee and the adults grabbed pretzels from a street vendor.

we walked back to the parking garage and joked with the attendant -- there was a limo parked in the garage and we told him it was our car.

we hit a lot of traffic at the Midtwon Tunnel, so it took a long time to leave the city and begin the drive home. it was very late when I got home last night, but it was certainly a delightful evening.

What a great time! I felt like I was there with you Robin, thanks for a mini-tour of an evening in NYC!
CC

I love reading your descriptions of NYC, BR. I've never been there and you make me want to visit.

I feel like I was there too! Sounds like you had a wonderful evening.

I LOVE NY. My first visit ever was last Sept. for our anniversary without the kids. We were about to see Chicago, but then I decided to skip it b/c it was getting dark and there was still more I wanted to see.

We visited the WTC site, then walked over to a beautiful building that led us out to the bay? People were jogging, riding bikes, taking boat tours, etc. Don't know what this place is known as.

It was entirely too short, just 2 days there. We walked down to Central Park and there was some sort of street event with tons of merchants, etc..

There was SO much I wanted to see and didn't have time to, you made me realize how anxious I am to get back there :)

Edited to add: When we visited the TRU, Christopher Meloni from Law & Order CSI or SVU was just 2 ft in front of me walking behind his little girl. He's very handsome!

I think you were at the World Financial Center/Battery Park City. lots of those building took damage on 9/11 but they've been restored. you have a great view of the Hudson and the Bay.

sounds like you had a great trip, come back soon and enjoy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter