More Low Crowds for our last "trip" to WDW *FINISHED*

It's actually happening........

I'm not going to turn this into a boring moving report but we just hit that pivotal moment where the containers to load up and send our stuff down to Orlando just happened. That whole excited, nervous and "what did we just do" feeling has started. It just got real :)

We actually start moving in on 4/4, starting a drive down with some things we can't do in moving crates on 4/2. We did a heavy amount of purging as charity pickup, garbage and recycling is quick and/or free here but will not be when we make it down. Personally with what we didn't keep, i'm kicking myself for how much I was storing just in case we needed it. It was just in the way for many many years and didn't need to be.

moving-crates.jpg

We went with upack after some raves about them on both price and quality from co-workers that have been relocating all over the place. Basically a company started by one of the largest freight companies to cut out the expense of having someone else bring your things to them to ship long distance. You only pay for what you use so we have a bunch of extra cubes just in case. They don't even charge you until they pick it back up to see what you did use. They also helped us arrange some trained moving labor for orlando since we need help unloading and don't know anyone in the area yet. At first I was doing the semi trailer but the city not wanting to issue a permit with a sudden snow storm coming got in the way there so we had to switch to the cubes. In hind sight, this was better as 2 cubes are about the same parking needs as 1 full sized car and will be more new neighbor friendly at our destination.

That's it for my moving part of this "trip". Wish us luck! If anyone really cares to know more details, private convo me and I'll be more than happy to talk more.

Congratulations on getting to this point and best of luck with the rest of the move. What an adventure and I am sure it will be full of some mixed emotions but overall be a great experience!

Congrats! How exciting. I know what you mean about getting in a rut by living in the same place for almost 40 years. I would love to move just for that reason alone, but can't talk my hubby into it :-(

Hope you post a status report when you get settled down there. It is nice to see how it goes and your thoughts on the area.

We have officially been here for 1 week now. Still have some new house things going on but overall, we're settled in nicely and I'm back to work as of today.

Moving notes:
- upack was amazing and the relocubes fit well for the few hours.
- I got to see some very florida things in the first couple days including the small alligator that lives in the nearby lake. It's interesting to watch people walk small dogs within about 15-20 feet of a sunning alligator.
- all those lizards and things you see at your disney resort are really interesting when you have your garage door opened.. Still chasing a few back out :)

Overall we're really comfortable here and came down with the right attitude. We moved, we aren't starting a lifelong vacation in orlando. I think that is an important note if anyone is considering a move here. If you come down expecting to feel like disney all the time, it's not going to be the same and the transition may be a lot harder. As soon as we had a functional house with tv, internet, a way to cook and somewhere to sleep it quickly felt like home...

I did have some fun moments since I didn't want to waste a week of vacation time not enjoying the trip...

- We got down really fast. We didn't hit any traffic and I think that was because of the gps we used (tomtom). It was excellent at diverting us from what originally showed up as 5-7 hours of delays. I really like that brand if your in the market and I used the mobile phone app version which is reasonable.
- We booked a last second stay at saratoga springs for the first 2 nights down here. Didn't plan on doing that but when we had almost a full day of not needing to be anywhere, we decided disney would be a great place. It's also reasonable distance to the house so made a good place to sleep. I didn't want to spend that type of money but value and moderates were completely full with no rooms. With AP discount it high but not out of the question.
- Yesterday we did our first spontaneous trip to WDW. I wanted a day off for the last day before work and it was great to get there in 20 minutes, enjoy the park and get home just as fast. We didnt' close the place down but was in MK from fantasy parade until close..

I don't like the changes to fastpass. Booking exactly what you want ahead of trip they look like great changes. Not only booking but seeing what is avaliable is much easiler. Where I hate it is there was nothing left and they turned off getting any. I've successfully found fastpasses for even the hardest rides over the course of a day in the past and that is just gone. Also it seemed to have a mental impact on people who had never crowded rides suddenly with long lines. I think the mentality was lets find the shortest line and not lets wait the extra 15 minutes for a ride we care about. Some rides did eventually get to normal evening length but this system change just made a huge mess and in my opinion even longer lines and bigger crowds, including the unpopular rides and attractions.

That's about it.. we're really loving it so far and happy we came down here..

Very glad to hear the move went well and you are getting settled. That is very good advice/thought you have about not moving down there thinking it was a permanent Disney vacation ... that said, being able to shoot over to Walt Disney World for a few hours "on a whim" still sounds pretty cool!

Interesting thoughts about the new Fastpass changes. In theory I really like all the changes they made but sounds like in practice it is making getting on "attractive" rides that much harder. We are still a bit out from when we can book FP+ for our upcoming trip so hoping this doesn't make it too much of a negative experience

Interesting thoughts about the new Fastpass changes. In theory I really like all the changes they made but sounds like in practice it is making getting on "attractive" rides that much harder. We are still a bit out from when we can book FP+ for our upcoming trip so hoping this doesn't make it too much of a negative experience

I think your experience will be much better than in the past for those before you arrive passes. I think people getting extras while in the park is a thing of the past unless you get them really early. It's only been 1 day so it might have been the excitement of it. You could tell there was a lot of people there yesterday that knew it changed.

I have been getting a lot of private messages asking more about living down here and the move. I was avoiding posting anything because I just got here and there is problem tens of thousands of people who can tell a better story of what it's like to make the move more. Since there does appear to be a lot ofinterest and a lot of people considering doing it also I figured maybe this was a good spot to just give a first month here update... I'll do this in sections for the questions that commonly come up..

Why the move?

It's really about my daughter. Her lifelong struggle with anxiety still has the next hurdle of working with anxiety. It was really a eureka moment of hers on a trip in 2014 where it just hit her that "you can work at disney". I started to ramp up trips to disney and central florida to really explore if this was a possible way to help her with this next challenge or just a fad.. We also wanted to check out central florida for non-disney and what is the weather really like at all different times of the years.. After a few trips, her interest just getting larger and working with her doctors it just made sense to give it a try.. by the end of 2015 we had a good idea what cost of living was, the areas we were interested in, a very large list of pros for moving and just 2 cons which were minor and not show stoppers..

My appreciation of disney is more of my creative side and my love for behind the scenes.. I don't really have the same emotional attachment many have except for how it calmed and made my daughter happy to be there. We had a big discussion of which Disney we wanted to be near to line her up for what might be a longer lived career and not just the next person to work in the park. For what she likes and would strive with, it's actually down here in florida and not any of the other locations disney has offices in.

NYC vs Florida.

it's no secret, NYC is stooopid expensive. However with stoopid expensive comes salaries to match. I didn't change jobs and I just took a week off and moved down here. All the pros of florida being nowhere near the price of nyc, differences in taxes (no state income tax) and I didn't need a job and my pay is exactly the same as when I was in nyc. I actually found a new way to save money at disney, just move here and keep your same job. more money ends up in my pocket, life costs less and we're closer to things we like to do for fun, including disney. The best part, I still have my entire vacation budget available so I can still afford the same cost trips just new destinations. Oh and work has an amazing remote policy and they will time to time want me in nyc at their cost plus I can take some other trips (2 per year) for no reason except I want to work from the office here and there. free work trips to nyc, live in florida, it cant' get much better than this..

There is a lot of exclusive to nyc things. I have 40+ years of how to be a new yorker and life just isnt' the same down here. In some ways it's better and in other ways it's very different. nyc has about 50 different ubers you can call, including bikes, ice cream trucks, food delivery, package messenger. You can even buy stuff for a discount and they deliver it. They pick up my charity stuff, etc etc etc etc... Everyone delivers, including fast food and if you've never been to nyc, everything isn't that far and you don't need to drive.. That might be the biggest thing, I need a car now... It's not better or worse, it's just new and different.. I took that into account when deciding if I wanted to be here and there is enough of what I like to do outside of theme parks here that I'm enjoying it so far and just starting to branch out..

Where to live?

I posted a link earlier in this thread about this question I asked on the orlando forums here. It gave a lot of great insight into communities, where I might be overlooking and things. My list of rather small.. I work from home, I need a room that I can work at any time no matter what is happening in the house so I need an office or a room to call an office. We need 2 bedrooms and we prefer open floor plans. They just work better for us. We prefer a standalone house but would take a town home or condo if we loved it.

One of the hardest things to adjust to with working at home is how to separate work and life.. It's really easy to get caught up in what's happening around the home, it's really easy for others to not understand how your working from home, it's really easy to forget to stop working and most of all, it's really easy to never leave the house and become depressed and trapped.. A very big must have for me is what I had in nyc. I needed to be able to leave the house for work type breaks. Coffee or breakfast in the morning, lunch in the afternoon. I wanted it walking distance because it's really easy to forget to excerise also. I know I couldn't find nyc in orlando but I searched for neighborhoods with reasonable groupings of things I wanted within walking distance.

I'm not going to get into exactly where I picked but I'm really close to everything I want. I found a nice 4 bedroom with 1 bedroom on the first floor which makes a perfect office. We have a nice open floor plan so we socialize really well when we're both not hiding in a room with a closed door. great places to ride bikes, walk, jog for many miles if I want it. great grouping of coffee, food and some entertainment. I'm really happy and it was the top of the list of where we wanted to rent the first year. Oh year, we decided to rent. We're not from here, we didn't spend much time outside of theme parks when we visit in the park. Most importantly, we don't really know if we're going to like it or like the weather when we're always in it.

Daily life?

This is where things are interesting. You may have heard them talk about food off site on the podcast time to time.. What your not really hearing is there is so many places fighting for any "they left disney" tourist dollars that most meals I can get cheaper by eating out.. not everywhere but we're starting to discover some really amazing places.

We came down here for the right reasons. We didn't come here to vacation for the rest of our lives. I still work every day (and many nights when there is something urgent). We still have daily life.. my daughter is job hunting.. We did change and got out of some ruts.. I'm walking around more (thanks pete, no seriously the progress he made with weight loss by walking has actually helped modivate me to walk around more). Some days, walking around does mean walking around disney :) We're looking at bikes to ride around town more instead of needing a car. We're really close to thigns we need. Since I dont' have a daily commute I'm actually trying to sort out if uber is just better right now. We can always rent a car or truck when we need to do a weekend of errands but 99% of the time, I don't need a car.. my daughter will need a car when she figures out her work situation and I'm prepared to help with that.

Now there is a lot more local things going on that we're really enjoying. Car shows, music festivals, farmers markets. My friends that play in bands have all passed through on tour so I'm still seeing people I know, just when they are in orlando and not nyc.

How has disney changed?

We actually got ready for this on trips prior to coming here. This is one of the reasons I've become more active on this board. Webcasts and podcasts kind of giving a glimpse of what it is to be a local. the trip was filling in other things to do nearby. universal show for that other theme park down the street. We started to apply our version of it to how we were vacationing here and it actually made the place better. We're happy with a couple hours of just being there and doing nothing. We have smaller goals.

Disney is right there and it will be right there tomorrow. We don't have to do everything over a limited vacation. Right now we're concentrating on things we really love and new things coming out. Skippers changing menus, we better get over there to eat.. After hours event? That sounds interesting... Star wars fireworks getting closer to changing, we better go catch them.. Having a bad day? I know a place to forget about the world and listen to other families argue about money instead.. The ability to hear something interesting is happening, changing, about to close, just opened and we can be there in 30 minutes if we want (after work that is).. We can also not go and wait until another day. Most things will still be there.

figure 30 minutes door to door for anywhere on disney property. Universal is about the same, maybe 10 minutes longer depending on traffic.. Oh did I mention universal isn't fair either? we are starting to learn more and explore that place. We've barely been there but plan to change that. We do like it, but we're complete newbs and that unplanned lost puppy. Disney, I can be your vip guide, universal I'm clueless and lost.

the recent single fp+ has really made it easy to get fastpasses. it was a mess the first day or two and I'm waiting to see what it's like when the first 60 day out people arrive having used it but right now it's possible if you keep looking and know when you look to get one for almost every ride. I'm also seeing htem using the red cards to guage fastpass+ wait time. I think the system has been alerted to add in more if the ride is staying reasonable. I even got a 7dmt at 9pm on a thursday once (haven't tried since).

Are you happy you moved? What do you like/dislike?

Very happy. We haven't been here long. It's too soon to say what we like or dislike because we can't tell the difference between dislike or it's not nyc yet. We're starting to meet others and purposely avoiding tourist places when possible to be able to meet people that will still be here in a week. Weather has been amazing although 90s and humidity have started and spring is over......

Hope this is a little glimpse into someone that has recently move here that everyone has asked for.. feel free to ask about anything. I have to check grammar tomorrow since disboards doesn't work starting at 4am and I don't want to start this over tomorrow.

Loved your last trip report so I just caught up with this one. Thanks! I also appreciate your post about moving down to Orlando. We have thought about moving there, but right now is not the right time. Congrats on your move and best wishes!!

Loved your last trip report so I just caught up with this one. Thanks! I also appreciate your post about moving down to Orlando. We have thought about moving there, but right now is not the right time. Congrats on your move and best wishes!!

thank you for the kind words. I was thinking of updating the living here situation as we're approaching 2 months, really settled in and starting to enjoy central florida more.. I've also had some great conversations privately about some choices and how they are working out so maybe I'll find an hour or so later to do that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter