More hotel booking changes

OldSchoolReasons

DIS Veteran
Not sure if this is common knowledge but I've just seen that from April next year Tokyo Disney Hotels can only be booked six months out with a vacation package, then online at 5 months out and then over the phone at 4 months out.

http://s.disneyhotels.jp/manage/info/new_reserve_en/

I'm beginning to get so frustrated - it feels like they keep moving the goal posts and I'm super concerned I won't be able to get the hotels I want.

The link you listed shows the changes apply to all Disney hotels. I wonder what is behind all those changes!
Also wonder if it makes it easier to book the hotels besides Ambassador.

Yep, it is all of them. We are arriving April 10th and have just barely (within days) been pushed back time and again as they went into effect. It has been really frustrating... I finally lucked out earlier this month with a tiny window where we were able to book hotel only with a master card (which now may have been changed to only those issued in Japan as well).

I do wonder what is behind the changes, but then the reviews on TripAdvisor are really surprising... there are a lot of non-Japanese posting how unhappy they were with the way the hotel is run and lambasting them for it not being like US hotels. They complain about the bed configuration, the food, the service not bending over backwards to accommodate special requests, not having enough staff speaking perfect english... point out they were not allowed to take pajamas home (do people really try to take everything that is not nailed down?) My tin foil hat makes me wonder if it has played a small part because I can't think of a more logical reason why you would block off everyone outside of Japan being able to book...

I do wonder what is behind the changes, but then the reviews on TripAdvisor are really surprising... there are a lot of non-Japanese posting how unhappy they were with the way the hotel is run and lambasting them for it not being like US hotels. They complain about the bed configuration, the food, the service not bending over backwards to accommodate special requests, not having enough staff speaking perfect english... point out they were not allowed to take pajamas home (do people really try to take everything that is not nailed down?) My tin foil hat makes me wonder if it has played a small part because I can't think of a more logical reason why you would block off everyone outside of Japan being able to book...

Oh, wow. I have not read those TripAdvisor reviews, but those complaints sounds so...ridiculous. There is nothing wrong about pointing out the differences, but complaining and giving negative reviews do not make sense... If you want everything to be like in the U.S., you should stay in the U.S. :confused3 But I don't think you can take the robes from the U.S. hotel rooms either!

Yep, it is all of them. We are arriving April 10th and have just barely (within days) been pushed back time and again as they went into effect. It has been really frustrating... I finally lucked out earlier this month with a tiny window where we were able to book hotel only with a master card (which now may have been changed to only those issued in Japan as well).

It's so frustrating, I want a split stay as well so I don't particularly want to be forced to book a package. It definitely feels like they're working hard to discourage overseas bookers.

Fingers crossed for me I guess!

It's so frustrating, I want a split stay as well so I don't particularly want to be forced to book a package. It definitely feels like they're working hard to discourage overseas bookers.

Fingers crossed for me I guess!

Absolutely! For whatever it is worth, while there are no more rooms on the porto paradiso side left at miracosta for our dates there are rooms for the other sections and great availability all over the disneyland hotel. I was able to go back a few days after booking a venice standard and grab a piazza view room on the porto side. We are also switching resorts to the dl hotel for our third night also. Even booking 'late' maybe it will be fine..?

Absolutely! For whatever it is worth, while there are no more rooms on the porto paradiso side left at miracosta for our dates there are rooms for the other sections and great availability all over the disneyland hotel. I was able to go back a few days after booking a venice standard and grab a piazza view room on the porto side. We are also switching resorts to the dl hotel for our third night also. Even booking 'late' maybe it will be fine..?

That does reassure me! I wanted to do half at Miracosta and half in one of the Disneyland hotel character rooms and they always seem to have lots of those.

We booked last week using a mastercard - BUT our first transaction was blocked by mastercard due to fraud concerns so that could be your problem? We tried calling Disney Tokyo to book but they also would only take mastercard if we were outside of japan. It definitely looks like they are not keen on international guests booking into the hotel. We had to apply for a mastercard specifically to book! Due to these changes I'm not sure how we will book a future visit.

I am so annoyed at what Tokyo Disney Resort is doing with their onsite hotels. We have spent a great deal of money at these hotels over the years and these changes are blatantly discouraging international guests. We love staying at the MiraCosta and Tokyo Disneyland Hotel and feel it makes our trip that much more special. If we return to the resort I feel my only option would be one of the offsite hotels and I prefer not to do that. Ah well. I think this is all prejudicial.

I think this is all prejudicial.

I feel at least some of it is also political in nature, but thats a topic for a different board. :D

I must say I don't remember having the hassles with booking things in Japan the last few times I've gone but the last trip was in 2005 which was a long time ago. We just booked tickets to the Ghibli museum and were surprised we HAD to go through JTB - the largest travel agency in Japan. No other way to get them from the US and it was more expensive than the price of the tickets according to the site - face value on the site is ¥1000 but they were $22. We also noticed a difference in availability on some sites if we were trying to book in Japanese vs. English. I have heard that it is nigh impossible to get a reservation at the sushi restaurant made famous by Jiro dreams of sushi - Sukiyabashi Jiro - if you are not Japanese. Some have luck with concierge services at hotels, and others have connections but we quickly gave up the idea since I am not fluent in Japanese so even 'scoring' a reservation would likely not go well or be enjoyable (aside from the sushi... mmmm). I'm a guest in their country and they do a bang up job accommodating me in the end though so I am going to go with the flow and not get too discouraged.

Last edited:
Back in 2002, I only needed to call and give my name to reserve the Miracosta. I was shocked that I didn't even need to give a credit card number, let alone pay a deposit. I'm tentatively planning another trip for 2019 (I've been several tines since 2002, most recently in November 2016) and these changes make me sad.

Thought this would be a good place to post this... I can't find the part on the website that says no foreign VISA anymore? Only no debit cards. Am I missing it?

It seems to have changed again!

"To make a payment or a reservation, you can use the following major credit cards:
JCB (the official card of Tokyo Disneyland and Tokyo DisneySea), VISA, MasterCard, Diners Club Card, Orico and Mitsubishi UFJ Nicos. (Only Orico and Mitsubishi UFJ Nicos cards with the JCB, VISA or MasterCard brand mark will be accepted.)
-- Please be informed that currently we are tightening the security on the use of credit card.
-- Debit card cannot be used."
(Source:https://reserve.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/about/usersguide_01)

"Please note that if you pay with MasterCard, only MasterCard issued in Japan is acceptable."

(Source: https://reserve.tokyodisneyresort.jp/en/help/hotel_02)

Wish they'd make their mind up - at this rate I'm going to end up with more credit cards than Mickey ears.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter