(More) Alcohol Coming to MK

I cannot stand to walk through World Showcase after sundown. The entire walk through the countries reeks of alcohol....it is like a bar or brewery. I have no issues with people drinking if that is how they like to spend their vacation time, but I personally do not like the smell and behavior that comes with it (not all guests drink to get drunk, of course).

We just spent New Year's Eve walking around World Showcase. The drinks were certainly flowing, but we did not smell any alcohol and it was packed. :crowded:

I feel like I should confess - Hi I'm LumosQ and I've been drunk in the Magic Kingdom. A few times, actually, after a nice dinner at V&A, with the wine pairings, then toddled off to the Magic Kingdom afterwards for a lovely end to the evening. Or a few post dinner cocktails at Sams / one of the many other lovely bars at the hotels before heading back in. FWIW, I've never vomited in a bush / on a ride / been rude afterwards. Haven't seen anyone else do this either and can't imagine we are the only people who like a drink back at the hotel before returning to the park.

Maybe its because I'm European, but really, whats the big deal? A drink with dinner does not mean you're going to be going to be channeling your frat party past. And lets face it, we have all seen the parents yelling at kids that probably could do with a glass of wine to mellow out a little :duck:DAK, HS, even the *other* parks all serve booze and I've never had an issue seeing inappropriate behaviour. We only had an issue with rude / loud people at DAK once but it was 9am so unless they got a start at the hotel it was personality driven, not the fallout of imbibing a few watered down cocktails.

This is not going to impact your trip. We go to Disneyland Paris a lot, where you can have a drink with your "quick" service meal (when you finally get through the line - goodness do I wish their culinary team would visit WDW for a little advice on the speed of service) or in the sit down restaurants, and have never seen anything that would be a concern (apart from sober people who push and pull during parade time - truly the worst place to watch the parades :(). It will all be fine, honest! Walt would have moved with the times too.

I feel like I should confess - Hi I'm LumosQ and I've been drunk in the Magic Kingdom. A few times, actually, after a nice dinner at V&A, with the wine pairings, then toddled off to the Magic Kingdom afterwards for a lovely end to the evening. Or a few post dinner cocktails at Sams / one of the many other lovely bars at the hotels before heading back in. FWIW, I've never vomited in a bush / on a ride / been rude afterwards. Haven't seen anyone else do this either and can't imagine we are the only people who like a drink back at the hotel before returning to the park.

Maybe its because I'm European, but really, whats the big deal? A drink with dinner does not mean you're going to be going to be channeling your frat party past. And lets face it, we have all seen the parents yelling at kids that probably could do with a glass of wine to mellow out a little :duck:DAK, HS, even the *other* parks all serve booze and I've never had an issue seeing inappropriate behaviour. We only had an issue with rude / loud people at DAK once but it was 9am so unless they got a start at the hotel it was personality driven, not the fallout of imbibing a few watered down cocktails.

This is not going to impact your trip. We go to Disneyland Paris a lot, where you can have a drink with your "quick" service meal (when you finally get through the line - goodness do I wish their culinary team would visit WDW for a little advice on the speed of service) or in the sit down restaurants, and have never seen anything that would be a concern (apart from sober people who push and pull during parade time - truly the worst place to watch the parades :(). It will all be fine, honest! Walt would have moved with the times too.

I agree with everything you said! Especially the part about Walt changing with the times. Heck, after his death, the Disney company almost collapsed from the folks in charge not wanting to change a single thing from the way Walt envisioned it. Then of course, Michael Eisner came in and kicked butt, took names, and in his "take no prisoners" style, started the company back on the road to success.

I totally fell in love with the things I experienced our first trip there in the mid 80's. Some of them sadly are gone (sniff sniff, I'll always miss the Alien!), but you can't stay locked in the past.

Disney is a corporation with a worldwide audience.... While it's hard to see the favorites go or witness changes Walt never even thought of, sometimes they have to to make way for new and modern attractions and attitudes. Nothing can stay the same forever and survive.

The beer selections are pretty disappointing so far. Just Stella and Blue Moon at Skipper Canteen and Sam Adams and Angry Orchard at LTT. I don't know that I'll even bother.

I'm another that's been drunk in the MK (after Trader Sam's, drinking around the world at Epcot, etc.) without being a vomiting nuisance.

Thanks for the confession ...

...and all the cool people agree with you. ;)

How one could not be hammered after the pairing at V&A's is beyond me...it's enough to take down a water buffalo

The beer selections are pretty disappointing so far. Just Stella and Blue Moon at Skipper Canteen and Sam Adams and Angry Orchard at LTT. I don't know that I'll even bother.

I'm another that's been drunk in the MK (after Trader Sam's, drinking around the world at Epcot, etc.) without being a vomiting nuisance.

That is disappointing - after having added a decent selection at Animal Kingdom I was hoping for better

That is disappointing - after having added a decent selection at Animal Kingdom I was hoping for better

Disney has used more "walmart ordering" principles for years...they save on bulk.

Hasn't anyone noticed that every menu has the same 5 entrees and 3 desserts? With some filler to "throw off the scent"?

Long and short...you're gonna get whatever supplier will give it to them en masse the cheapest. It's not gonna be a craft brewers paradise.

Disney has used more "walmart ordering" principles for years...they save on bulk.

Hasn't anyone noticed that every menu has the same 5 entrees and 3 desserts? With some filler to "throw off the scent"?

Long and short...you're gonna get whatever supplier will give it to them en masse the cheapest. It's not gonna be a craft brewers paradise.

Here is the beer list at the Nomad Lounge in Animal Kingdom - while the list does include Bud Light the other options are much more elevated/exotic/different. While I wasn't expecting an amazing rotating tap list like at my local beer pub, I was hoping for something better than Blue Moon and Stella

IMG_6585-1-900x1200.jpg

Here is the beer list at the Nomad Lounge in Animal Kingdom - while the list does include Bud Light the other options are much more elevated/exotic/different. While I wasn't expecting an amazing rotating tap list like at my local beer pub, I was hoping for something better than Blue Moon and Stella

IMG_6585-1-900x1200.jpg

You know better than that...magic kingdom food is all about serving low quality product at high cost...

You know better than that...magic kingdom food is all about serving low quality product at high cost...

... on the strict assumption that nobody EVER goes to Universal and samples the completely unique food and beverage items at Harry Potter lands and Springfield USA ... and the menus are never published online. .. and nobody ever blogs about them ... and that the legacy of pixie dust lasts forever and competition based on quality, uniqueness etc. is just not possible.

At least, according to Burbank's favorite spreadsheet weinies.

For the most part fully agree, but skippers canteen has some different options so thinking one or two "exotic" beers I don't think is crazy. Heck, they could have had the Xingu and the Tusker that they have at Tiffins and just ordered those in bigger bulk and fit the theme well

For the most part fully agree, but skippers canteen has some different options so thinking one or two "exotic" beers I don't think is crazy. Heck, they could have had the Xingu and the Tusker that they have at Tiffins and just ordered those in bigger bulk and fit the theme well
I like skippers...though only being there once pre-beer

The problem? It wasn't crowded and the menu isn't gonna hold...so they'll have to dump it for the same bland menu.

Wdw diners never had much of a "palette"

They're different. Each entree has a different name among the restaurants.

I'm sure it's inevitable that there will be kiosks added to MK. I'm not sure when they were added but there are a kiosks at DHS that sell liquor and I do not remember seeing them there a year ago (one is by Indiana Jones). I'm sure within a year or so they will be adding them to the MK, it's just a matter of time really.

I'm pretty sure the Brown Derby dining patio area with outdoor bar was added a few years back. It's not a typical beer kiosk, but you can order drinks even if you're not dining in the patio area. DH & I will grab a drink (they're served in plastic cups) and walk around DHS or while we wait for dinner inside at Brown Derby.

They likely don't know how well things will sell yet, so you don't rotate in the smaller batch beer in to the location, until you know it will actually sell. I assume it was bottle beer only at this point in the MK, no draft?

They likely don't know how well things will sell yet, so you don't rotate in the smaller batch beer in to the location, until you know it will actually sell. I assume it was bottle beer only at this point in the MK, no draft?

One thing they do well: market research.

They know.

Magic kingdom has the worst collection of food and beverage of any Disney park on the planet...it's not like they "don't know"

Thanks for the chuckle to ring in my new year

My horse is pony sized at best, and MK and the Disney parks are made for ALL, not just kids. Lord you need to take it down a notch. Just because a couple sit down restaraunts are serving alcohol you've turned it into a Vegas style nude sports bar. You're funny.

You're reasoning about " most people don't do this " is spot on. And MOST will not take 3 buddies, huddle up in a corner in a MK eatery and get sloppy. Over exaggerate much?

No problem, glad you enjoyed it.

Yes that's right, I need to take it down a notch. In your last post you're ranting about how you're 50 and deserve drinks everywhere, and tons of people bring their kids into bars, so by that logic you can drink at theme parks.

My point, which you clearly missed, is that this could lead to beer carts, which would be a problem. Maybe it won't, just hope Disney draws the line somewhere.

You're right, most will not take 3 buddies and get sloppy in a corner at MK, but it doesn't take MOST, it just takes 1 group to ruin it.

You didn't feel the need to drink on parental duty, and yet, that's what's going to happen at MK now.
Taking a hard stand against kids in hotel lounges at Disney Resorts, which according to you also happens all over the world, but fully encouraging this.
Which is it? or should MK have a bar for only the over 50 crew allowed?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter