Mom but Where's the Son?! Girls Weekend! Updated 9/6 - Le Cellier, Galactic Desserts & Homecoming!

GoofySon'sMom

DIS Veteran
After the most recent, awesome Mom & Son trip in May, I decided to take DS's GF (Julia) for a quick weekend trip to WDW in mid July. Our goal to see the new stuff that premiered after DS and I left - primarily, the new Frozen Ride and the new Soarin'. Plus DS and I really didn't get to see much of the Tree of Life Show in AK. We had a whirlwind two days in the Parks and managed to accomplish all we hoped and then some.

But of course, we are here for the food!

We land late Thursday night and with no checked luggage were on the ME to AllStar Music in no time! We were both pretty hungry so it hurried to the Food Court before it closed.

Julia chose the spaghetti Bolognese

This was surprisingly tasty. We didn't expect much and were quite pleased.

I had the biggest slice of pepperoni pizza ever ...

This was typical WDW food court pizza. Nothing special but not bad. It hit the spot.

Both of our entrees came with salads ...

This salad was awesome! Neither of us expected much, lettuce and maybe a tomato piece or two. But as you can see, we were pleasantly surprised with some other veggies and a nice tangy dressing.

All in all a solid late night snack!

Friday morning we were up early to get to EPCOT as close to rope drop as we could to get in line for Soarin'! We arrived about 9:15 and quick walked our way over. Posted time was 30 minutes but it really ended up being about 20. And it was AH-MAY-ZING! Oh my gosh, we loved it. I had read some not so great reviews so we were very, very happy.

Decided to have a quick breakfast at Sunshine Seasons. This was the first time that I have had anything other than a sweet treat or some fruit at SS. So sad they are no longer serving breakfast! We loved our meal! We decided to share the French Toast bread pudding (with a side of bacon)

And the breakfast panini sandwich

The French toast doesn't look like much in the picture but it was fantastic. Moist and maple-y without having to add extra syrup. The panini was equally good and the breakfast potatoes a very nice surprise. Well seasoned and flavorful.

Between Soarin' and our really great breakfast, we decided to change our Saturday morning plan and come back for the very same experience! We enjoyed everything just as much the second time around!

We had lunch at an old favorite that was a bit of a disappointment for DS and I in May - Via Napoli.

The menu -

We shared the Insalata de Ceci

and the Mozzarella Caprese

The stuff on the salad is bacon which was very good. Nice and salty contrast to the vinegary dressing. The Caprese was good - I felt the tomatoes could have been fresher but overall it was fine.

Based on Kari's (kastoney) rave reviews of the Carciofi Pizza, we decided to split one. This pizza is white pizza, artichoke, fontina, mozzarella and truffle oil. Kari recommended adding arugula but I forgot when our order was taken so we saved some of the salad greens to top the pizza. The result?

OMG - was this ever fantastic. The dressing on the greens offset the richness of the cheeses. The truffle oil wasn't too strong. The artichokes were the perfect accompaniment. THANK YOU, Kari for pushing me to try this one. Truly an awesome pizza.

We split the pizza so that we would have room for dessert and there is only one dessert for us at VN - the Zeppole di Caterina. Ricotta fritters, served with whipped cream and chocolate sauce

Every time I have these I am amazed at how light and airy the zeppoles are. And the chocolate sauce is not real sweet so it melds perfectly.

Via Napoli definitely redeemed itself for me with this meal. I am not sure if DH and I will be able to fit it in for our October trip because of all the F&W events I have planned but I do consider this restaurant a must do most trips.

Last edited:
Wow! So much yummy food in such a short time! How great is it that you have such a great relationship with Julia! I hope for the same with my boys' partners one day. :)

Wow! So much yummy food in such a short time! How great is it that you have such a great relationship with Julia! I hope for the same with my boys' partners one day. :)

I am very thankful that we do get along so well. I definitely look at their relationship like I have gained her, not that I have lost him!

Everything looks so good so far! I too am bummed about no more breakfast at SS, we used to love eating there. As for VN I really have to try that Carciofi pizza!

Sorry for the delay! We had planned to spend the afternoon/evening snacking around the World Showcase. But it was hot - surface of the sun hot! So about 4:00 I got on my phone to see what was available in the AC for a spontaneous dinner. I was surprised that a 4:30 popped up at Le Cellier. Poutine? Yes, please. We made the reservation so close to the time that we were not even in the computer, I had to show them the confirmation number!

The menu -

The rolls and pretzel bread sticks

And the star of the show .... The poutine!

This is truly the food of the Gods. The red wine sauce is perfect. The cheese curds have the right amount of salt. The fries were hot and crisp. It is very hard for me to not make an ADR in October for DH and I to just have the poutine. Too many F&W events to make it happen. Definitely the next trip!

We also shared the famous Cheddar Cheese soup ...

It may be sacrilege but I like this soup ... I just don't love it. I want to dip a couple of bites of the pretzel bread into it and then I am done. Julia, however, loves it as much as DS loves the mushroom soup at Artist Point. She was a happy girl.

Our intent when we walked in was to share these two things and call it a meal. Then we sat down and came to our senses. We shared:

The mushroom filet! This is my half. They did not cut it for us, we cut it ourselves which was fine. I am so happy they have gone back to the mushroom risotto. I truly believe this could be my favorite bit of food on WDW property. I love our perfectly the flavors blend. The steak was tender and perfect.

A very nice spur of the moment meal!

We did have a few snacks after Via Napoli ...

The caramel corn came home for DS. He devoured the bag before we even finished showing him everything else that we bought!

We shared the caramel and the brownie the next afternoon in the room.

We did buy these and I am still regretting it ...

Soft Oreos! Saw these in the Japan pavilion. I am normally an Oreo purist and have not really enjoyed any of the new flavors they keep coming out with but this is something I would try!

That night we were heading to the thing we wanted to do most on this quick trip - DHS for the updated Star Wars fireworks! I booked us the Dessert Party because we didn't want to have to spend two hours holding a good spot!

Neither of us were really hungry but I took pics of most of the food ...

We both had some of the tomato and mozzarella and the watermelon skewers. The desserts really didn't 'wow' us. We did enjoy the Nutella quick freeze dessert

We may have enjoyed the 'everything sweet' bread pudding if we were hungrier

Coffee and tea

Very sweet alcoholic drinks

This is now held inside the Star Wars building. It was much better than in May when the threat of rain moved it from outdoors to inside the Mickey's Clubhouse building but not a nice as the Frozen party from the previous summer. That said, it was very cool to be led by the Storm Troopers to our reserved front and center viewing area! I booked this again for DH and I in October mostly for the viewing area. I know that we will have a few snacks and probably a drink but we won't eat near enough to 'break even'. It's worth it for the viewing area!

On Saturday we had the same morning of heading to EPCOT as early as we could get ourselves there for a ride on Soarin followed by the same Sunshine Seasons breakfast.

We then headed to the MK for a few quick rides and to see the new Castle show (LOVED IT way more than I even expected to).

We then tookd the boat to the Poly to catch a cab to Disney Springs for lunch at Art Smith's Homecoming!

Iced tea with extra lemon!

Loved that the waitress actually brought out EXTRA lemon!

The desserts!

We shared a bunch of appetizers .... First the Chicken & Dumpling Soup

Yes, as hot as it was outside, we had to try this. And all I can say is O - M- G! This is the thing I have dreamt about since returning home. I cannot wait to get back in October to have this again. I threatened DH that we may eat there 2 or 3 times just for this soup. The dumplings were the slippery kind that I love. The chicken super tender. The broth very flavorful. Perfection.

The pimento cheese fritters

Also very good. I am not a huge pimento cheese fan (not sure why). The flavor wasn't really pronounced. These were light and fluffy and the red pepper jelly dip went perfectly.

Fried green tomatoes and deviled eggs ...

The fried green tomatoes had ham which I have never add before. These were very good. We were fighting over the last bites.

The deviled eggs, not so much. We ate one and left the rest. I don't know that they were necessarily 'bad' but in comparison to everything else which was super well flavored, they were flat. Just not worth the calories or space in our stomach! I may give them another try in the future.

We shared the chopped pork BBQ plate ...

Close up of the mac & cheese ...

Another O - M - G! for the mac & cheese. It came out super hot and bubbly and had a really nice combination of cheeses. I was pretty full and didn't each mush of the pork to save room for the mac & cheese but the couple of bites I had were good. The BBQ sauce was a bit sweeter than I normally like but not so much so that it ruined the meal for me.

As much as we loved the pizza at VN and the poutine and filet at Le Cellier, I think this was my favorite meal. Just good down home comfort food. I cannot wait to go back in October. Despite my 'threat' to DH, I only have one ADR but that seriously could change on the fly when we are there!

Oh my goodness! That meal at Homecoming looks amazing! Thanks for putting that on my radar. :) I am super impressed with how much you and Julia managed to squeeze in to a short weekend, very inspiring!

Oh my goodness! That meal at Homecoming looks amazing! Thanks for putting that on my radar. :) I am super impressed with how much you and Julia managed to squeeze in to a short weekend, very inspiring!

So were we! Especially with the heat that weekend! We were on a mission! LOL We had a great time.

Homecoming is awesome! Great addition to Disney Springs!

I keep wanting to return to Le Cellier but then I read less than stellar reviews. Now I see your review and-I'm confused lol! I love their cheddar cheese soup and the mushroom filet is exactly what I'd order. However I remember the tables being super close together? DH hates that :( He was real unhappy at San Angel last trip but luckily the table next to us stayed empty until we were ready to leave.

Art Smith's looks so good, I'm a sucker for fried green tomatoes! Like you I've never seen them with ham.

The tables at Le Cellier are very close together. We ended up talking to the couple next to us. There are times that I really enjoy that and other times that I want no part of it. Definitely depends on my mood!

Hi Vicki!!!!!!! How awesome to get a girls weekend! I'm surprised DS let you get away with that one.:P

So glad you loved the VN pizza. I always have to take a deep breath when someone tries something I recommended cause its always that moment of will they or won't they love it! But of course with the Carciofi there is really no other option than love.

Speaking of love, that poutine sounds incredible. I've considered doing lunch there, just so we can have poutine and the soup but have yet to bite the bullet. Gonna have to change that!

I can't get over how good your Homecoming meal was. To be honest, it wasn't even on my radar but after your raving I can't wait to try it. I'm a sucker for a fried green tomato and pimento cheese so this would be right up my ally!

Can't wait for more.

Well you girls really packed it in. VN looks excellent and you are really making me want to book the SW DP for this week. The star of the review is Art Smith's Homecoming. I really need to plan a trip just to dine at Disney Springs, everything looks incredible. Thank you for sharing.

Hi Vicki!!!!!!! How awesome to get a girls weekend! I'm surprised DS let you get away with that one.:P

So glad you loved the VN pizza. I always have to take a deep breath when someone tries something I recommended cause its always that moment of will they or won't they love it! But of course with the Carciofi there is really no other option than love.

Speaking of love, that poutine sounds incredible. I've considered doing lunch there, just so we can have poutine and the soup but have yet to bite the bullet. Gonna have to change that!

I can't get over how good your Homecoming meal was. To be honest, it wasn't even on my radar but after your raving I can't wait to try it. I'm a sucker for a fried green tomato and pimento cheese so this would be right up my ally!

Can't wait for more.

DS was not a happy camper, that's for sure! We loved that pizza! I feel the same way when I rave about something. I am confident in the poutine though. Give it a try!

I have read some so so reviews of Homecoming so I am not sure if we got lucky. Looking forward to trying it again!

Well you girls really packed it in. VN looks excellent and you are really making me want to book the SW DP for this week. The star of the review is Art Smith's Homecoming. I really need to plan a trip just to dine at Disney Springs, everything looks incredible. Thank you for sharing.

We did. We only had a weekend to do it all! LOL DH and I are planning a few trips to Disney Springs (less than a month now!). Most of our 12 days will be either in EPCOT for DS. So many restaurants to try!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter