• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Mickeys Mainsail on Disney wish

Christensen

Earning My Ears
I’ve heard Mickeys Mainsail is unbearably crowded and runs out of merch fast. When does it first open? What day/time is the best to go?

Last edited:
I know on the other ships they usually opened while I was seated during my main dining time. I would excuse myself from the table the first night and run to the store if there was anything I wanted to make sure I wanted to get. I wished they could open earlier so not to interfere with dinner but they have to wait until they are out of port before they open the stores.

I’ve heard Mickeys Mainsail is unbearably crowded and runs out of merch fast. When does it first open? What day/time is the best to go?
Shops can’t open until they set sail and are in international waters. Thus closed while docked at ports.

We did not have that experience on the Wish in February and we had a full ship. Maybe we just picked the right times to go?

Don't go between dinner and show (or show and dinner depending on which seating you have) and don't go on the last day. If you have a sea day, earlier in the day is better. Evenings are just miserable. It was so hot in here and so narrow, it's hard to navigate through the shop.

I actually found that they were pretty well stocked on the 4/28 cruise. I tried to go between the show and dinner, which was a terrible idea as everyone had the same thought and it was super packed. I didn't have issues with not finding sizes, etc. I went back on day 3 (which was supposed to be Castaway Cay, but instead was a sea day due to mechanical issues). I actually really liked that we had a sea day because it was more time the shops were open (especially since they ended up being closed pretty much all day on day 2 since we were stuck in port). Crowds were very minimal that day, and even though it was the last full day of the cruise I had no issues with sizes.

Dory's shop up on 11 (?) outside Marceline Market did have inventory issues, though. I grabbed the white DCL rash guard spirit jersey earlier on day 3, then realized I needed to exchange the size. I went back between the show and dinner; the shop was empty, but the cast member told me they were low on sizes of that (luckily they had what I wanted to exchange to).

If there's something you reallllly want, I'd say fight the crowds and go as soon as you can (probably between the show/dinner on the first night), just for peace of mind that you have it. Yes it was crowded when I did that but it wasn't too awful. If you just want to look around, then waiting until night 2 or 3 would probably work.

In my experience, they aren't stocking at the start of each new sailing so it might not even matter if you go right away. For example, we were on the 4/21 and I was there right when they opened on day one. There were several shirts that were low on inventory and missing sizes. I had a similar experience on the Dream and Fantasy last year so I don't think this is unique to the Wish.

The biggest thing is on any DCL cruise the merch is very limited and they only keep so much on hand at a time. So your best bet for the biggest selection of sizes and such is to shop right away. But that may mean its pretty crowded.

Mickey's Mainsail on the Wish feels very narrow compared to the main merch stores on the Magic and the Dream. That's what made it feel more crowded to me. Honestly, I didn't spend much time in there and didn't buy anything either, so... YMMV.

Mickey's Mainsail on the Wish feels very narrow compared to the main merch stores on the Magic and the Dream. That's what made it feel more crowded to me. Honestly, I didn't spend much time in there and didn't buy anything either, so... YMMV.
Yes, it is very narrow (very long and narrow).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter