Mickey's Backyard BBQ & Poly Luau

GEM

Mommy to Paul - 1lb 7oz wonder
Just wondering if anybody has done either of these recently. We are thinking of trying on or the other on our trip in December, since we have never done them. We like to try to find new things to do on each trip. I noticed on Deb Willis' site that they are running the Backyard BBQ on December 17th, which is my birthday. We thought it might be fun to do that followed by a carriage ride. The BBQ sounds like a lot of fun to me, but it seems to get really mixed reviews.

Or maybe we should try the luau instead? Any opinions? Which one would you pick for a birthday? Does either one do anything special for birthdays? It will just be me and DH, but we are really big kids at heart when it comes to Disney.

We have done both and had a great time at both!!:)

I am surprised to see that the BBQ is scheduled for Dec??!!
This is usually a "seasonal" thing. And usually only runs through Oct.
I would call WDW-dining just to be sure.:)

The Luau is a bit more for adults compared to the BBQ, even though my 11yo DD loved it.

The Luau is more of a sit and watch show, they do have a couple times when the audience can participate. But mostly sit and watch.

The BBQ....was a HOOT!! we were up dancing most of the time after we ate.
They are both all you can eat: Luau is family style, BBQ is buffet.

If I had to choose again......I would probably go with the BBQ.:)

Thanks so much for your opinions. I called WDW and they said that the BBQ is scheduled through November, and for several extra dates in December - including December 17th. It sounds like a fun birthday to me.

We just did the BBQ last weekend and it was great! They asked if anyone was celebrating a birthday and if so to put your name on a list they had up front. Then later in the program they announced them all including ages! So beware what you write down, I guess!;)

The food was plentiful and very hearty. The characters had a meet and greet at first and then later some dancing. We actuallly left before the dancing got started in order to catch the Campfire movie. I highly recommend it!

Any other questions regarding the BBQ, just ask! We did the Luau many years ago and altho' the show was good the food was not, IMO.:(

Thanks so much for the information! I just called and made our reservations for my birthday on December 17th! I can't wait! This will be our 10th trip to WDW and we are still finding so many new things to do on each trip!

We did the luau once, a few years ago, and that was enough.

The show is entertaining enough, if you like flame throwers and hula girls ( :bounce: ) but the food was sub-par. Roasted chicken and rice, as I recall. And drinks with little umbrellas in 'em. :rolleyes:

Some people, though, love it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter