• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

MGM Table Service

truppcma

Earning My Ears
I am rethinking our TS ADR for MGM. I chose to eat at Hollywood and Vine, because of the fact that they have a buffet. We have two kids, 6 and 4, and I wanted them to have a few meals where they could choose from a variety of foods, and not be stuck with two choices from a kids menu at every meal. (we are on the DDP)
Anyway, I haven't read too many good reviews about this place, and it also seems to be lacking any "fun" atmosphere. I thought about trying Mama Melrose's instead, but haven't read too much good about it either. And again, then the kids are stuck with the limited menu again. I just figured they were going to get sick of their options quite soon, and thought a few buffets would help.
Any thoughts?

If you are, you can choose between MM, H&V, or BD (which takes 2 TS credits/person on DP). We've always done H&V, because of the ease and number of choices. It is not as bad as many of these reviews have made it seem. I liked it better when there were characters, but it you are doing FDP, this is the best variety. We are trying MM this year, for a bit of a change. I wouldn't consider any of these places "fun", though. If you are not looking for a FDP choice, I might consider eating outside of MGM (like at B&C, or even try an early/late meal atTeppanyaki or a character meal at Epcot). We have done this in the past, and it is a bit of jumping around, but worth it not to have to eat at MGM if you don't like the choices.

I've eaten at H&V and the food was okay. I can't say my family is interested in going back any time soon, but only because yes, the theming is a little more subdued than other locations. Probably the best buffet on property is Chef Mickey's over in the Contemporary. The characters are awesome, the food is good and you can see the monorail cutting through the lobby.

As for MGM, our favorite TS restaurant is 50's prime-time cafe (and their PB&J milk shakes are surprisingly wonderful)!

No, we are not doing the Fantasmic show. I was also considering 50s Prime Time, but figured that we would get more of a kick out of the theming than our kids would. Might do Sci-Fi for lunch.
Thanks for the input, I think we'll stick with H & V, primarily again for the choice of food options for the kids. We are doing two character breakfasts, as well as dinner at Whispering Canyon, so I guess they should get enough fun themes at other times.
We do not have park hopper tickets, so I made ADRs at the park that we would be at that day.

Looks like you've decided to stay with H&V, but I would strongly encourage you to switch to 50's. We did both in June. I won't go back to H&V, but this trip we are going to 50's twice. The food was WONDERFUL (potroast and meatloaf is what we had), and the atmosphere was FUN FUN FUN!

I like H&V, as do my (very picky) kids. We are not doing it this trip, but that's just because we've already been there twice in our past 3 trips, and we're trying to mix it up. We are doing Mama Melrose's, as DH loves it there.

I didn't love 50's, but it really all depends on who you get for a server, I think. The food is good though!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter