Merging DVC reservations?

EdmondD

DIS Veteran
We are renting DVC points at the Beach Club. We have a seven-day reservation and then a one-day reservation, back-to-back. Can I assume that we won't be required to actually check out and check back in and they'll just let us stay in the same room?

Thanks!

No, you cannot assume that. You will have to check out and check back in, and may have to move.

I do not believe DVC reservations made by two different owners can be merged, if these are separate rentals. If one is cash and one is points they definitely cannot be merged.

One of my friends rented points last year and had to pack up after a 6 night stay and head across the other side of OKW for one night. Rented from 2 different people.

We did this once and did not have to change rooms. Maybe it depends how busy they are.

Thanks, everybody. Perhaps I should have pointed out (pun intended) that it's the same owner, but one is points and one is cash. Sounds like we may or may not get lucky.

Thanks, everybody. Perhaps I should have pointed out (pun intended) that it's the same owner, but one is points and one is cash. Sounds like we may or may not get lucky.
Cannot merge a points and cash reservation.

You'll need to talk to the desk at check-in. You will have to check out and back in. Be prepared to switch rooms. Depending on room type, need for the lock-off unit can play a role.

Cannot merge a points and cash reservation. You'll need to talk to the desk at check-in. You will have to check out and back in. Be prepared to switch rooms. Depending on room type, need for the lock-off unit can play a role.

Got it. It's a studio, btw. I'm wondering if they'll be able to let me know at check in (so we can mentally prepare) or if I won't know until like, the day before.

Got it. It's a studio, btw. I'm wondering if they'll be able to let me know at check in (so we can mentally prepare) or if I won't know until like, the day before.
They may not be able to say until the day before.

I would talk at check-in, and no matter what they say, also go to the desk the day before checkout.

Same owner but one is cash? I don't get it.

At checkin let them know if the second reservation. Maybe remind them during the stay. From experience, it can't hurt to start packing things up early so it's not a mad rush the last day, so be somewhat packed the last day of the first when you go to the desk very early to ask what will happen.

This all assumes the exact same type of room was booked.

We rented from two owners at Animal Kingdom and were able to stay in the same room. However, we did have to go down a physically check out and check in again, even though it was the same room. However, this was apparently a very slow season because our DVC Studio was ready at 6:15AM when we arrived at the Animal Kingdom Lodge - Kidani Village. From my understanding, that is not typically the case.

You'll need to talk to the desk at check-in. You will have to check out and back in. Be prepared to switch rooms. Depending on room type, need for the lock-off unit can play a role.
FWIW, I've heard a DVC member cash reservation booked through MS (the type with the 25% discount if available) can merge with a points reservation.
But generally the much more common DVC points and CRO reservation does not merge.

Same owner but one is cash? I don't get it. This all assumes the exact same type of room was booked.

Well, he had enough points for the seven nights in the one reservation, but not enough for an eighth night, so that he did as cash. And yes, it's the same type of room. I'll keep my fingers crossed. As they say, hope for the best but prepare for the worst. (And even the worst isn't so terrible in this case.)

FWIW, I've heard a DVC member cash reservation booked through MS (the type with the 25% discount if available) can merge with a points reservation.
But generally the much more common DVC points and CRO reservation does not merge.
Not true. Two totally separate reservations. Same as two reservations made with two different sets of points (even with one owner). BUT, the cash reservation through DVC will be treated like a points reservation for housekeeping etc. However, for one night, the guest won't experience any differences.

Technically, the owner of the points must be staying in the villa that is booked on a member discount. I hope you don't have a problem.

Last edited:
I have done this on 3 different occasions over the years, and have not been required to check out and check back in on any of these occasions. Just be sure that you have the exact same room category booked, and be sure that you let Disney know ahead of time about the 2 reservations, and mention again on check in. The most we have had to do is go to the desk on the day the second reservation began and provide our credit card again to be scanned to attach to the 2nd reservation for room charging privileges.

They do not guarantee that you will not have to switch rooms, but they do their best to allow you to say in the same room.

They cannot be merged, but they do not necessarily require that you check out and check back in. Last summer, I booked a reservation 5 night with points, and then booked the same room/villa category with a cash reservation for the following 2 nights. I spoke with them at check in about this, and was not required to check out/check in when the 1st reservation ended.

I have done this on 3 different occasions over the years, and have not been required to check out and check back in on any of these occasions. Just be sure that you have the exact same room category booked, and be sure that you let Disney know ahead of time about the 2 reservations, and mention again on check in. The most we have had to do is go to the desk on the day the second reservation began and provide our credit card again to be scanned to attach to the 2nd reservation for room charging privileges.

They do not guarantee that you will not have to switch rooms, but they do their best to allow you to say in the same room.
That is checking out and checking in again. You go to the front desk and they get your credit card. Back when they issued room key cards, they issued you new key cards.

That is checking out and checking in again. You go to the front desk and they get your credit card. Back when they issued room key cards, they issued you new key cards.

I guess this is a matter of semantics. We went to the front desk with our credit card at our convenience. This did not have to be done prior to the 11am check out time, and we did not have to switch rooms or remove anything from our room in the gap time between 11am check out and 4 pm check in. That is why I do not consider it "checking out/in"

I guess this is a matter of semantics. We went to the front desk with our credit card at our convenience. This did not have to be done prior to the 11am check out time, and we did not have to switch rooms or remove anything from our room in the gap time between 11am check out and 4 pm check in. That is why I do not consider it "checking out/in"

Semantics to you. Checking in/checking out to Disney and most hotels.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter