Mele Kalikimaka WDW Adventure 2015-COMPLETED

One thing that always catches my eye are the soda vending machines throughout WDW. Disney's attention to detail is legendary and these coin gobblers prove that point perfectly. Check out the graphics on this machine at Fort Wilderness:

The Cabins @ Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort Cold Beverage Dispenser by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

I took a couple of more, but I wish I had been more serious about photographing all the different designs throughout the parks.

After the sleigh ride, we picked up some grub from the Trail's End restaurant which was mediocre at best. The cast member at the register was a bit gruff taking our orders, so that didn't help. Back at the cabin, we ate our late dinner and unwound by watching...the Disney channel..LOL! While I would never stay here again (due to the cost and there being only two of us), I have to say the cabin room was fantastic! Tons of room, kitchen, living room, and that rustic touch that is dear to my heart!

The Cabins @ Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort Interior 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Cabins @ Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort Interior 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Cabins @ Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort Interior 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

In the morning, we did our obligatory exterior photos and passed on breakfast, wanting to save our appetites for Epcot!

Check Out Morning @ The Cabins @ Disney's Fort Wilderness Resort by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Heading out to Epcot as the sun slowly rose to color the morning sky in hues of orange and yellow, we began our hike through wooded mountains and deep, blue lakes...anxious to make our way to safety and comfort. Okay, not really, we hopped onto a bus like a million other guests and daydreamed about coffee and a pastry.

Epcot! My wife's favorite park (although surprisingly, Hollywood Studios gave it a run for its money), and quite possibly, mine too. Buyer beware, we spent almost zero time in the Lands, and pretty much hung out in World Showcase. Nothing against the other areas, but we love everything about WS and the assorted countries. Time is again the culprit, not enough of it. The first thing we did was head straight to Starbucks for our fix of caffeine and to also pick up one of the park exclusive mugs. We already have two Butter Beer and two Cabana Bay Resort mugs, so hey, gotta add to our illogical cup collection. Although I must admit, the purchasing of the four Starbucks mugs was my idea. Sue is great, a total non-collector. Me? I've had collector issues since I was a child. My Olszewski Disneyland collection is a small testament to my craziness...

Olszewski Disneyland Main Street Collection 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Olszewski Disneyland Main Street Collection 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

And for the record, and because I like posting pics, here is the Epcot mug...

Epcot Coffee Mug from Starbucks "You Are Here" Collection by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Last edited:
Our fast passes for the day included Test Track, Spaceship Earth, and a Meet Disney Pals Character Spot thingamagigee. I guess you can guess the last one wasn't a big fave of mine. Nothing against Mickey and pals, but not a real big fan of those characters (I do have a soft spot for Donald Duck, but you hardly ever seen the dude around). Turns out that the photo op (here and at the other parks) with Mickey ends up being one of the best things we did...LOL! The process is handled smoothly by CMs and I really dug the studio backgrounds.

Sue & Len @ Epcot's Spaceship Earth 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Thumper & Flower in Disney's Epcot Gardens 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Sue, Mickey, & Len @ Epcot Character Spot 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Sue, Minnie, & Len @ Epcot Character Spot 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Test Track was fun as always! Although I do miss the crash test dummies scene, I can see why the "Design Your Car" queue would be real popular with the young crowd.

I love Spaceship Earth and was looking forward to photographing those dark interior scenes. Have to say, the ride is looking a bit aged and is in need of some updates. I don't want them messing with the overall educational emphasis, but I imagine it's a snoozer for a lot of the younger crowds....haha!

Spaceship Earth @ Disney's Epcot 00 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Spaceship Earth @ Disney's Epcot 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Spaceship Earth @ Disney's Epcot 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Spaceship Earth @ Disney's Epcot 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Spaceship Earth @ Disney's Epcot 09 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Spaceship Earth @ Disney's Epcot 08 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Last edited:

During our visits to the parks over the years, Sue always gets a kick out of trying on hats. Now, she hasn't ever actually purchased one (and probably never will), but for that one brief moment in the shop, my wife is the Mad Hatter supreme! I'm actually quite reluctant to try on hats nowadays since someone told me about the high possibility of catching head lice. In Hawaii, we call these little buggers "ukus". I told Sue that story and she's thinking about bringing a shower cap to Disneyland in July...LOL! I told her if she's gutsy enough to put the cap on in shop, I'll buy her a dozen hats! Being that WDW is massive, Sue found quite a bit of head wear to model on her head. I even created a special Flickr album called "The Mad Suehatter".
We're already planning what stores to hit in Anaheim so we can add pics to her album collection. These particular Star Wars hats were found at one of the shops near the beginning of World Showcase...

The Mad SueHatter 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

This one with the Chewbacca hat reminds me of Peg Bundy...hah!

The Mad SueHatter 09 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Mad SueHatter 08 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Mad SueHatter 11 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Mad SueHatter 13 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Who says you can't have some FREE fun at Disney...LOL! Of course, lice treatment can be expensive, so scratch my prior comment.

I wanted to head to good old USA to watch The American Adventure and listen to the Voices of Liberty perform holiday carols. That building always takes my breath away when entering and regret not using my fish eye lens to take some shots, but that was about par for the course. Once the audience had settled in, Voices of Liberty gave an amazing performance that brought tears to my eyes. Okay, maybe I'm being melodramatic, but their singing was sensational.

The Voices of Liberty @ EPCOT's World Showcase 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Voices of Liberty @ EPCOT's World Showcase 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Voices of Liberty @ EPCOT's World Showcase 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Voices of Liberty @ EPCOT's World Showcase 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Voices of Liberty @ EPCOT's World Showcase 07 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Voices of Liberty @ EPCOT's World Showcase 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Voices of Liberty @ EPCOT's World Showcase 08 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The American Adventure Stage @ Epcot by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Once the performance finished, everyone made their way into the theater for "The American Adventure". The inside of the theater falls in line with the rest of the building...just breathtaking! I think I might be more fascinated with the statues representing the qualities of what made America great. The show itself is both informative and visually amazing, but I wonder how much longer these types of attractions will continue to reside at Disney parks. Shows like this, Lincoln, and Carousel of Progress are becoming increasingly archaic and uninteresting to today's generation raised up on video games, blockbuster movies, and the internet. Smart phones seem to get more attention in the few minutes before the start of the show than the attraction itself. Change is inevitable, and Walt Disney embraced this fact of life, but I wonder if he would have been a little sad at the passing of these type of shows.

Show Entrance @ Epcot's The American Adventure by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The American Adventure Theater @ Epcot by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The American Adventure Theater @ Epcot 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The American Adventure @ EPCOT's World Showcase 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Revolutionary Soldiers @ Epcot's The American Adventure by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The American Adventure @ EPCOT's World Showcase 08 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The American Adventure @ EPCOT's World Showcase 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The American Adventure @ EPCOT's World Showcase 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The American Adventure @ EPCOT's World Showcase 09 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

I really regret not taking photos of all the Spirit statues. I also should have included the bases with the corresponding descriptions. Another bone headed mistake that came back to bite me!

Spirit of Individualism @ Epcot's The American Adventure by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Spirit of Heritage @ Epcot's The American Adventure by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Spirit of Independence @ Epcot's The American Adventure by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The American Adventure Theater @ Epco2 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Last edited:
After the American Adventure, we made our way to the Land pavilion to do the "Living with the Land" boat ride. You know how there's always one scene from a ride that stays with you for years and years? An image that somehow embedded into your very psyche? For me, it's that farm scene with the golden sunrise bathing the land in hues of golden yellow. If I could live in one scene from a ride, this would be it (although the boat scene at the end of Splash Mountain is a close second). Looking back at that statement, my love of Disney maybe getting serious... :laugh:

Living with the Land @ EPCOT 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Living with the Land @ EPCOT 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Living with the Land Farmhouse Sunrise @ EPCOT 02
by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

We headed back to World Showcase where we found ourselves 90% of the time while in Epcot. Even with that, I wasn't able to visit half the countries represented there. We stopped off first at Mexico where Sue wanted to try a Mango Margarita. While the brain freeze was painful, my wife said the drink was delicious and told me to give it a try. Now, alcohol isn't my thing and the strongest thing you'll see me drinking is a diet Coke. But in the spirit of togetherness, I took a sip...and WOW! The margarita tasted like a slurp on steroids. I ended up drinking half the glass and we had to go back and get another. If I end up becoming an alcoholic, let it be known that it started at Epcot.

Epcot's Mexico Pavillion 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Epcot's Mexico Pavillion Interior 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Faces of EPCOT-Mexico 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Sue gives the Thumbs Up for the Mango Margarita from Epcot's Mexico Pavillion by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

From there we shuffled over to Norway...pretty much my favorite country along with Germany We shared a Troll Horn at Kringla Bakeri and sat a while to take in the ambience. Sue wanted to check out the shops, so I had a chance to check out the various troll merchandise. In Hawaii, the troll equivalent is menehune....a little man that runs around possessing magical powers. Sort of like a leprechaun from Ireland or Yoda from Dagobah (just testing to see if anyone is reading this stuff...LOL).

Viking Statue @ Epcot's Norway 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Viking Statue @ Epcot's Norway 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Faces of EPCOT-Karoline of Norway 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Faces of EPCOT-Lars-Erik of Norway by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Sue & Len @ Epcot's Norway 02 by
Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Fjording @ Epcot's Norway 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Fjording @ Epcot's Norway 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Fjording @ Epcot's Norway 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Troll Statue at The Fjording @ Epcot's Norway 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Troll Statue at The Fjording @ Epcot's Norway 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

There was a special room dedicated to (surprise) Frozen which included various costumes, props, and cultural artifacts. Sue found a pretty cool Viking helmet so she did the Mad Suehatter thing. She may even have some Viking blood, so I'm hoping she'll bake me some Troll Horns one day...

Frozen Display @ Epcot's Norway 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Frozen Display @ Epcot's Norway 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Mad SueHatter 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

From Norway, it was a hop, skip, and a jump to Germany. I love this pavilion which I think has the best looking courtyard ever. The colors and architectural design never fails to catch my eye.

Epcot's German Pavillion 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Epcot's German Pavillion 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Faces of EPCOT-Vanessa of Germany by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Karamell-Kuche @ Epcot's Germany Pavillion 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

It was off to Japan in the late afternoon for dinner at Tokyo Dining. I had never eaten at this pavilion on my two prior trips just because I can get a great Japanese meal right in my own backyard. However Kelly and Colleen had good things to say about this restaurant, so we chose it for our Candlelight Processional dinner package. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised how good the food tasted. I apologize for the smart phone pictures of food, but my mind (and stomach) seem to shift into automatic 'grind" mode once the entrees arrive. Sue always has to remind me to take some pics of the meals, and wanting to get it out of the way, I default to the ease of my Samsung Galaxy Note! I ordered the steak combo with shrimp tempura while my wife went with steak and sushi. I'm getting hunger pangs just typing this...

Sue & Len @ Epcot's Japan Pavillion 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Dinner @ Epcot's Tokyo Dining 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Dinner @ Epcot's Tokyo Dining 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

After a sumptuous dinner, we had about an hour and a half before the start of the Candlelight Processional. We were told by our server to get there 45 minutes before the start of the show to ensure a good seat. I decided to check it out earlier while the others were having dessert. I saw this massively long line that was already passed Morocco and some guests in line confirmed it was for the show. I had wrongly assumed there was a separate line/entrance for dinner package guests so I didn't jump into that human chain link. By the time the others joined me, I was told the line was indeed for both regular viewers and dinner package guests. It seems the only thing the dining option guarantees is a seat in the auditorium. It could be the a chair out in Timbucktoo, but Disney would still considers its obligation fulfilled. Basically, you're better off eating early and getting in line 2-3 hours prior to showtime. That pretty much threw me off my game as I realized we weren't going to get a prime viewing area. By the time we got in, we were forced to sit at the far right of the stage behind a pillar. Of all the dining packages, and we did a bunch, this was the one major disappointment and a complete bust.

Neil Patrick Harris was the host and he did an excellent job. The choir was outstanding and props goes to the stage lighting and overall presentation. I tried to get some decent shots, but the angle and blocked views made it tough. I'm sure I would have enjoyed the show more if not for that whole dining fiasco, but as it is, I probably wouldn't do Candlelight again.

Candlelight Processional with host Neil Patrick Harris 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Candlelight Processional with host Neil Patrick Harris 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Candlelight Processional with host Neil Patrick Harris 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Candlelight Processional w: host Neil Patrick Harris 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Candlelight Processional w: host Neil Patrick Harris 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

After the show ended, we spent a little more time visiting the various countries. Sue decided to head back earlier to check into Coronado Springs (our 3rd hotel). I wanted to stay after park closing to photograph the pavilions, but it began to drizzle making it hard to shoot. Feeling bad that I let Sue go back by herself, I packed up my gear and tried to find her (which was a lost cause). Here are the few night shots I got before leaving...

Epcot Across the River @ Dusk by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Spaceship Earth Across the Bay @ Disney's Epcot 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Spaceship Earth Across the Bay @ Disney's Epcot by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

United Kingdom Pavillion @ Disney's Epcot 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

France @ Disney's Epcot 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

France Pavillion @ Disney's Epcot 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Fountains of Nations @ Disney's Epcot Innoventions Plaza 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Joining in to say that I am just completely blown away by your WDW pictures!! Wow wow and wow! They are absolutely stunning!
I am enjoying hearing about your trip...I especially enjoyed the pictures of American Adventure. That and Carousel of Progress are two of my very favorite attractions!!
Also, that's very good information to know about the Candlelight Processional package. I was thinking of purchasing this for our trip in Dec and may just forgo that and queue up early for it.

Can't wait to read more and see more of your beautiful pictures!

Joining in to say that I am just completely blown away by your WDW pictures!! Wow wow and wow! They are absolutely stunning!
I am enjoying hearing about your trip...I especially enjoyed the pictures of American Adventure. That and Carousel of Progress are two of my very favorite attractions!!
Also, that's very good information to know about the Candlelight Processional package. I was thinking of purchasing this for our trip in Dec and may just forgo that and queue up early for it.

Can't wait to read more and see more of your beautiful pictures!

Thank you so much @HomeSweetDisney for your kind words! I'll have some photos from Carousel of Progress further along in this already too long TR.
I would do as you, forget the dining package and just steel yourself for a long wait in line. Use the money saved to buy snacks to munch on while waiting!

Coronado Springs maybe the most visually interesting of the moderate level Disney resorts. The artistic design and colors of this Southwestern themed hotel shows strong influences from both Spanish and Aztec sources. While it is labeled as a convention site, we found the place to be rather relaxing (although finding the laundry room at midnight can be a challenge). And hey, I dare you to challenge my assessment of Panchito's as the coolest resort gift shop in all of WDW! The Pepper Mill food court will not disappoint, although the Riverside Mill Food Court at Port Orleans is making it look a little dowdy. We had originally planned a two night stay here, but I had switched the first day to the Cabins at Fort Wilderness. A bad move in hindsight as we were upgraded to a junior suite due to lack of standard rooms. We had a living room, two bathrooms, and a spacious master bedroom (at half the cost of the cabin).

Coronado's lobby is one of the nicest, and the smaller size never works against the sheer splendor of the place. The Christmas decorations were nicely tied into the resort theming, giving the hotel a very classy and understated feel.

Disney's Coronado Springs Lobby 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Coronado Springs Lobby 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Coronado Springs Lobby 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Lobby @ DIsney's Coronado Springs 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Lobby @ DIsney's Coronado Springs 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Panchito's Gifts & Sundries @ Disney's Coronado Springs 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Panchito's Gifts & Sundries @ Disney's Coronado Springs 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Panchito's Gifts & Sundries @ Disney's Coronado Springs 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

John @ Disney's Coronado Springs by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Maya Grill @ DIsney's Coronado Springs 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Maya Grill @ DIsney's Coronado Springs 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pepper Market Entrance @ Disney's Coronado Springs by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Coronado Springs Junior Suite 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Lobby Entrance @ DIsney's Coronado Springs 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

View Across the Lake @ Disney's Coronado Springs by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thursday morning was earmarked for Disney Springs. Our schedule was tight, and the parks were screaming for more attention, but our group wanted to at least check out the newly developed shopping area. First off, I had no issues with the prior Disney Downtown, but I think Springs fits in to the much better thematically with a more organic backstory. Springs seems a natural outgrowth of places like Main Street in MK with its more rural trappings. This might have been a place that Walt Disney would have come to as a little boy. Downtown Disney was a glitzy neon collection of urban shops set in the heart of the modern world. It really stuck out like a sore thumb.

Due to time constraints, we weren't able to dine at Raglan Road. It was either there or T-Rex, and dinosaurs edged out the Irish pub. I know T-Rex is run by the same group that owns Rainforest Cafe so I kept my expectations to a minimum (no offense to Rainforest fans, but after a day at Disney parks, the animatronics and theming there feels underwhelming). My initial reaction upon entering the restaurant was.....YABBA, DABBA, DOO! From the moment I was facing a huge tyrannosaurus to gasping at a huge starfish like creature at the bar, I knew this was going to be epic. Whether you're eating in an ice cavern or hobnobbing next to a baby triceratops, T-Rex will blow you away. We're talking Disney levels when it comes to lighting, color, sound, and visual impact. I wouldn't be surprised at all if some Imagineers were involved in the development of this eating establishment. The food wasn't bad either and the portions were more than generous. But it's the show here that will stay with you, not the brontoburger and raptor fries.

Being a big Indiana Jones fan, there was never a doubt Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar would be high on our "things to see" list. The place is surprisingly small, but the intimate location really works to bolster the story telling aspect. If Jock (Indy's pilot at the beginning of Raiders) was really to have opened a bar, it makes sense that it would be smaller and a bit more cozy. A place where Jock could serve drinks, display his collected treasures, and regal customers with tales of high adventure and daring do. The Imagineers did an amazing job here, paying attention to all the little details and nuances that helps sell the tale. You half expect Indy to walk through the doors followed by a bunch of no good henchmen.

A big surprise was Erin McKenna's Bakery - a little hole in the wall that could easily be overlooked. Sue wanted to check it out and ended up buying me a chocolate cake doughnut. And man, what a doughnut...soft, moist, with some of the best chocolate frosting to pass these lips of mine. We actually went back a few days later in the evening to pick up a couple more, but the bakery was long sold out by that time. Do your stomach a favor, head to McKenna's early in the day for a good selection of really delicious treats!

Disney Springs Wall Plaque by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pluto, Goofy, Mickey, & Donald Happy Holidays @ Disney Springs by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney Springs Holiday Sign by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney Springs-Sue & Sleigh by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Christmas Stuff Galore @ Disney Springs by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

T-Rex Restaurant @ Disney Spring 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

T-Rex Restaurant @ Disney Spring 17 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

T-Rex Restaurant @ Disney Spring 19 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

T-Rex Restaurant @ Disney Spring 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

T-Rex Restaurant @ Disney Spring 08 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

T-Rex Restaurant @ Disney Spring 09 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

T-Rex Restaurant @ Disney Spring 21 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

T-Rex Restaurant @ Disney Spring 07 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

T-Rex Restaurant @ Disney Spring 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

T-Rex Restaurant @ Disney Spring 18 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

From Disney Springs, we were able to catch a boat to our next resort destination...Port Orleans Riverside! We were booked there for three nights, much to the relief of Sue (and me for that matter...the genius who booked 5 different resorts for the trip). Oddly enough, because we had more time at Port Orleans, I ended up not shooting a lot of photos. I guess when you're under the gun time wise, you end up being more productive. We both enjoyed out stay here with its southern styled mansions to the waters of the Sassagoula River. This resort has a well deserved reputation as being a laid back and relaxing place to stay. We booked the Royal rooms, which other then those cool lights on the bed headboards, didn't seem much different from a standard suite. The resort is spread out, but the walks never seem to be an issue because Disney did such a great job of creating a tranquil and beautiful setting.

We got to try out the Riverside Mill Food Court one evening and I gave the pasta station a try. Although it was bit too salty for my taste, I would definitely go back and try another dish. The place is huge with cavernous ceilings and a rustic feel from the dominant use of dark woods. I tried to find the French Quarters on one particular morning, but ended up back at Riverside... :laugh:! Must have been too much pasta the night before...

Sassagoula Stemboat Co. @ Disney's Port Orleans Riverside by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Riverside Mill Docks @ Disney's Port Orlean by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

A Cloudy Morning @ Disney's Port Orleans Riverside by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Royal Guest Room @ Disney's Port Orleans Riverside 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pasta Station @ The Riverside Mill Food Court, Disney's Port Orleans Riverside by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

2016-01-30_10-20-52 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Friday was earmarked as a full day and night at Disney's Hollywood Studios! Although this park receives its fair share of criticisms, I must say Sue and I really enjoyed our time there. Without a doubt, HS has two of the best themed restaurants in all of WDW, as well two of the best hard ticket event (I'll cover the specifics as we move further into this TR).

Disney's Hollywood Studios Archway by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Sue & Len @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Walt Disney Dedication Statue @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Since the park is not as crowded on any given day as MK, I found the pace to be a bit more relaxing and laid back. I found myself looking in the shops more, soaking in the atmosphere, and just having a good time. We started off the morning at the Great Movie Ride. I have fond memories of this attraction, and was happy to hear Turner Classics pick up the sponsor option. Hopefully this will give it a few more years of life, although I admit the attraction is really beginning to show its age. Besides some much needed refurbishments, late 70's movies Alien and Raiders (mega popular when the ride was built) call attention to the ride's history capping by the early 80's. It would be unrealistic to expect Disney to constantly update movie scenes, but would the addition of movies representing the last four decades be out of the question?

The Great Movie Ride Entrance @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Great Movie Ride @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Great Movie Ride Entrance @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Great Movie Ride Entrance @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Great Movie Ride Entrance @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Busby Berkeley's Footlight Parade In The Great Movie Ride @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Singing In the Rain @ The Great Movie Ride by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Casablanca in The Great Movie Ride @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

John Wayne In The Great Movie Ride @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Wizard of OZ @ The Great Movie Ride 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

The Wizard of OZ @ The Great Movie Ride 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Mary Poppins in The Great Movie Ride @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Raiders of the Lost Ark in The Great Movie Ride @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

It's fitting that Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of the last scenes in the Great Movie Ride as our next FP was for the Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular. I saw this back in 2004 and the show still holds up incredibly well today. The stunts, set, props, and actors are all first rate. Audience participation in these type of shows can be hit or miss, but the volunteers here really seemed to be having a grand old time. Live shows like Indy need to balance spectacle and action with a straightforward and clear narrative. It could be why I can watch this show (Waterworld at Universal Japan is another) multiple times and walk away from others (Eighth Voyage of Sinbad) after one viewing.

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 04 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 15 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 05 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 10 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 25 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 23 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 07 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 20 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 18 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 09 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular 19 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

We met up with our friends a little before noon to check into 50's Prime Time Cafe for lunch. Prime Time, along with Sci-Fi Dine-In, represent Disney at its best in terms of immersive theming. I love everything about Prime Time, from the rather simple concept (dining at your mom's house) to some of the best cast member performances (for us it was 'Cousin' James from England). I'm not a big participant type person, but this is one place I can easily play along with premise.

Before we headed into the restaurant, we had a bit of time so we took advantage of a photopass opportunity and did a rare group shot together. I wish I had remembered the photographer's name, but the guy was amazing. Very personable and he knew how to handle a camera too! He did multiple shots and took his time giving us a great assortment of pics!

Kelly, Colleen, Jesse, Erin, Len & Sue @ Disney's Hollywood Studios 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Even waiting inside 50's Prime Time is a blast. I don't mind the wait inside the queue as it gives me the chance to soak in the minute details and the spot on decor.

50's Prime Time Cafe Service Counter @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

50's Prime Time Cafe Cast Member Danielle & Joan @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

50's Prime Time Cafe Waiting Area @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

50's Prime Time Cafe Bar Area 02 @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

50's Prime Time Cafe Dining Area Detail @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

50's Prime Time Cafe Disneyland on TV @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

50's Prime Time Cafe Christmas Tree Detail @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

50's Prime Time Cafe TV Detail @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

50's Prime Time Cafe Dining Area @ Disney's Hollywood Studios by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Our server Cousin James kept busting me for having my elbows not the table. I didn't finish my green beans (which i absolutely loathe, but Prime Time always seems to serve me) that I had to take my dishes to the kitchen! It wasn't as bad as 2004, when my server brought me my dessert of green string beans with whipped cream...UGH!

Colleen, Kelly, Jesse, Erin, & Cousin James @ 50's Prime Time Cafe by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Here's a flashback to Sue and I back in 2004:

Sue & Len pose for 50's Prime Time Cafe 2004 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

And here is my infamous String Bean Delight....

Len shows off his Green Bean Dessert @ 50's Prime Time Cafe 2004 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Sue and I sticked to our plan of sharing entrees and split the mixed plate of fried chicken, meat loaf, and pot roast. Winner, winner, chicken dinner!

Fried Chicken, Meat Loaf, & Pot Roast @ Disney's 50's Prime Time Cafe by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!