Mele Kalikimaka WDW Adventure 2015-COMPLETED

Sorry for hijacking your report but-Oh man, your shots of Aulani are amazing too! I just love the Waimea ones as well. Didnt Jimmy Stewart own some of Parker Ranch at one point? Last time we were on Big Island we went to Waimea for Village Burger twice, that place is amazing...and of course we took the kids to the incredible playground by the school. Our kids are older teens but we have been taking them there since they were little and it is always a favorite stop.
The last pic of Everest is such an interesting juxtaposition of tropic vegetation and snow capped peaks. Only other place you might see that is looking back from Hapuna beach waters at Mauna Kea in the winter, eh Brah? LOL, ok, I will stop with all the Hawaii talk...

Sorry for hijacking your report but-Oh man, your shots of Aulani are amazing too! I just love the Waimea ones as well. Didnt Jimmy Stewart own some of Parker Ranch at one point? Last time we were on Big Island we went to Waimea for Village Burger twice, that place is amazing...and of course we took the kids to the incredible playground by the school. Our kids are older teens but we have been taking them there since they were little and it is always a favorite stop.
The last pic of Everest is such an interesting juxtaposition of tropic vegetation and snow capped peaks. Only other place you might see that is looking back from Hapuna beach waters at Mauna Kea in the winter, eh Brah? LOL, ok, I will stop with all the Hawaii talk...

No apologies necessary alohamom! Waimea is always a favorite topic of mine. Do you usually go straight to the Big Island for vacation or do you spend a few days on Oahu? Not sure about Jimmy Stewart owning some land in Waimea, but I wouldn't be surprised. The Parker Ranch estate has had financial issues over the years and they've been selling off parcels to cover debt and taxes. The subdivision where we bought was all open pasture 20 years ago. I remember riding a horse out there, never thinking that I would one day own a house on the very ground I was riding.

Did you know Village Burgers was voted in the Top 20 Burger joints in the USA? I usually order the Kobe with Avocado, fries, and a chocolate shake. The shake is overpriced, but man, it is ono! Have you tried Paniolo Cafe (great breakfast...the pancakes are awesome, and their fried rice is great). If you like handmade pizzas, check out Pau (in the same complex as Merriman's).

Didn't think about the similarity between Mauna Kea and Expedition Everest, but you are so right! We can see the top of Mauna Kea from our backyard, and it's surreal at times when the sun is shining and the snowcapped mountain is visible in the distance. I've booked a tour to the top of Mauna Kea in March to try and shoot sunset as well as the night sky. The last couple of times I've had major headaches due to the high altitude, so wish me luck!

Back to AK, after entering the park, the first thing I did was look for DiVine. I had seen photos of her in some of the Disney photography forums. I don't recall her even existing back in 2004, so this was all new to me. As luck would have it, DiVine seems to appear 45 minutes to an hour after the park opens and she is usually near the beginning of the walkway to Africa. I encountered her on two separate occasions, so the photos are of 2 different actresses portraying this whimsical muse!

DiVine @ Disney's Animal Kingdom Shoot Two 06 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

DiVine @ Disney's Animal Kingdom Shoot Two 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

DiVine @ Disney's Animal Kingdom Shoot One 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

DiVine @ Disney's Animal Kingdom Shoot One 14 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

DiVine @ Disney's Animal Kingdom Shoot One 15 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

I spent a good 10-15 minutes taking photos of DiVine, so we had to make our way quickly to Expedition Everest for our fast pass. While I love the little to no wait in line for rides, not being able to enjoy and study the queue details put in by the Imagineers is a bummer! I would almost prefer to wait in line (as long as it's not overly long) so I can take a few photos and soak in the immersive atmosphere. It always helps to build up the anticipation and mood of the actual ride. Expedition Everest did not disappoint from a thrill ride stand point, but the fact that Disney is unable to get the Yeti working full-time was big let down. The silhouetted shadow reminds me of Ursula's appearance in The Little Mermaid dark ride. Underwhelming finale for a massive build up. With all the hikes in park passes/tickets, there's no reason this should be happening.

Disney's Animal Kingdom 12 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Expedition Everest @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Expedition Everest Cave Art by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Animal Kingdom 10 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Last edited:

Expedition Everest did not disappoint from a thrill ride stand point, but the fact that Disney is unable to get the Yeti working full-time a big let down. The silhouetted shadow reminds me of Ursula's appearance in The Little Mermaid dark ride. Underwhelming finale for a massive build up. With all the hikes in park passes/tickets, there's no reason this should be happening.

Yeah ...don't bring up the Yeti! Talk about a sore subject -I mean the CEO gets a 10M bonus, but you don't have the money to make a key part of an E-ticket attraction work?

No apologies necessary alohamom! Waimea is always a favorite topic of mine. Do you usually go straight to the Big Island for vacation or do you spend a few days on Oahu? Not sure about Jimmy Stewart owning some land in Waimea, but I wouldn't be surprised. The Parker Ranch estate has had financial issues over the years and they've been selling off parcels to cover debt and taxes. The subdivision where we bought was all open pasture 20 years ago. I remember riding a horse out there, never thinking that I would one day own a house on the very ground I was riding.

Did you know Village Burgers was voted in the Top 20 Burger joints in the USA? I usually order the Kobe with Avocado, fries, and a chocolate shake. The shake is overpriced, but man, it is ono! Have you tried Paniolo Cafe (great breakfast...the pancakes are awesome, and their fried rice is great). If you like handmade pizzas, check out Pau (in the same complex as Merriman's).

Didn't think about the similarity between Mauna Kea and Expedition Everest, but you are so right! We can see the top of Mauna Kea from our backyard, and it's surreal at times when the sun is shining and the snowcapped mountain is visible in the distance. I've booked a tour to the top of Mauna Kea in March to try and shoot sunset as well as the night sky. The last couple of times I've had major headaches due to the high altitude, so wish me luck!

We mix it up depending on which island we were at last but this summer we are doing only Oahu for 2 weeks. We debated BI but we had such a great time on Oahu last vacation we all voted to go back and do everything we missed.
Mmmmm, now I want to try the Kobe burger!!! Guess I will have to wait till next time. We have not been to Paniolo Cafe but I will put it along with Pau on the list of "must try" places for next time too.
Mauna Kea at night is right at the top of my bucket list so I am totally jealous. I love BI at night for the stars, they feel soooo close.

Your shots of DiVine are fantastic. We had a funny experience with her-we didnt know she existed and were wondering why this group of people were looking at the bushes but then my daughter noticed her and it was an incredible moment of realization.

Last edited:

Yeah ...don't bring up the Yeti! Talk about a sore subject -I mean the CEO gets a 10M bonus, but you don't have the money to make a key part of an E-ticket attraction work?

How long has the Yeti been like this? Is it a constant problem that works and then doesnt work or has it just stopped working and has not been repaired?

How long has the Yeti been like this? Is it a constant problem that works and then doesnt work or has it just stopped working and has not been repaired?

I'd say it broke down maybe one year after it opened(??) -it's never been repaired although I believe they made some enhancements to make it seem functional by using strobes. Apparently, the design could not support the Yeti which weighs tons with its movements over the track -Causing some structural flaws that couldn't be repaired.

I remember reading that whenever Joe Rohde visits AK, the workers make sure the Yeti is up and running in full operation mode. I'll have to visit the next time Joe is there....hah!

We mix it up depending on which island we were at last but this summer we are doing only Oahu for 2 weeks. We debated BI but we had such a great time on Oahu last vacation we all voted to go back and do everything we missed.
Mmmmm, now I want to try the Kobe burger!!! Guess I will have to wait till next time. We have not been to Paniolo Cafe but I will put it along with Pau on the list of "must try" places for next time too.
Mauna Kea at night is right at the top of my bucket list so I am totally jealous. I love BI at night for the stars, they feel soooo close.

Your shots of DiVine are fantastic. We had a funny experience with her-we didnt know she existed and were wondering why this group of people were looking at the bushes but then my daughter noticed her and it was an incredible moment of realization.

WOW! Are you planning to stay at Aulani for the entire two weeks? When the resort first opened, Disney was offering kamaina (local) rates starting at $550.00 per room. I thought that was crazy, but hey, it's a matter of perspective, I guess. I ended up booking two nights at the Grand Californian this July for over $600.00 a night!!!

I'm sure you and your family have been out to the North Shore? Have you tried Kua 'Aina Burgers? I actually prefer them over Village Burgers, and the sandwiches are a little cheaper. Again, my go to is the Avocado Burger (medium rare). The fries are incredible too. They cut their own and leave a bit of the potato skin on.

Agreed about the stars at night on BI! Too much city light on Oahu to have that same view (although the North Shore is not too bad on a clear night). I'm thinking of heading up to Volcano if the lava is flowing. Not sure my body can handle, but I'm willing to try...LOL!

Same thing happened to me while photographing DiVine. So many people walked by looking at the crowds, wondering what we were watching. The way she blends into the environment is so cool!

Enjoying your report and photos!!

Did you say hello to Tom and Sarah Bricker that night at the MK?? I don't think I would have been able to stop myself...they're Disney fan royalty, LOL!!

I learned to shoot manual a million years ago when I was on the middle school yearbook staff, and since then I haven't touched more than a point-and-shoot until this year!

I got a nice beginner nikon DSLR for Christmas that I'm getting reacquainted with, and I cannot wait to attempt some night shots on our next WDW trip. I may play around a little in Disneyland in June, for practice. It'll be a huge change of pace for me, since 90% of my vacation photos over the last two years have been on the fly cell phone pics: most of which are crap, with a few accidental gems and even fewer carefully constructed shots thrown in.

Animal Kingdom is a favorite of our family, too. It's really something special.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing about the rest of your adventures!!

Enjoying your report and photos!!

Did you say hello to Tom and Sarah Bricker that night at the MK?? I don't think I would have been able to stop myself...they're Disney fan royalty, LOL!!

I learned to shoot manual a million years ago when I was on the middle school yearbook staff, and since then I haven't touched more than a point-and-shoot until this year!

I got a nice beginner nikon DSLR for Christmas that I'm getting reacquainted with, and I cannot wait to attempt some night shots on our next WDW trip. I may play around a little in Disneyland in June, for practice. It'll be a huge change of pace for me, since 90% of my vacation photos over the last two years have been on the fly cell phone pics: most of which are crap, with a few accidental gems and even fewer carefully constructed shots thrown in.

Animal Kingdom is a favorite of our family, too. It's really something special.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing about the rest of your adventures!!

Glad you are enjoying the report xls! This is my first go around, so it's very clunky compared to others.

I was going to write about this later when I get to the MVMCP portion, but since you asked, yes...we did meet Tom and Sarah Bricker. I wanted to shoot the Christmas parade dead on, so I staked out a place in front of the Main Street Christmas tree a couple of hours early. We did this mainly due to Tom's recommendations on his website. About a half hour before the parade, the area really filled up, so luckily I had my tripod set up. My wife Sue hung out more towards the back against the tree base as she wasn't taking pictures. I glanced to my right, and lo and behold, I spot Tom towards the end of the curb. I kept looking and wondering if I should go up and introduce myself. I asked Sue what she thought, and she shook her head and said "No, he'll think you're a stalker!" But being the goofball that I am, I ended up introducing myself. Tom actually remembered my name from the number of emails I sent him asking photography advice (poor guy). After exchanging pleasantries, I asked him if he wanted to join me at my spot, but Tom respectfully declined. I saw Sarah from the corner of my eye, but didn't say anything at first (which was rather rude, come to think of it). Somehow Sue ended up standing next to Sarah, so I introduced both of us to her. Sue, as mentioned earlier, is not a big Disney parks fan...she comes along to accommodate my craziness...God bless her! She and Sarah started talking, and both being mid-westerners, hit it off. My wife later told me that Sarah is super sweet and was impressed with her graciousness. About a few minutes before the start of the parade, Tom came up and asked me if he could sit down next to my tripod. Did he even need to ask...LOL? Tom and I talked about lenses, shooting modes, and his reasoning for shooting sitting down. Tom is actually pretty shy and reserved...very different from his blog persona. Both the Brickers were a joy to meet and it was one of the highlights of my trip. I later told Sue that Tom was a major reason why I upgraded my camera gear prior to our trip, and she just laughed and said "So he's responsible for all of this!"

Welcome back to the world of DSLR shooting! Can I ask what Nikon camera you're using? I'm a Nikon shooter myself from back in the days of film. One of the reasons I started shooting manual was my lack of decent night shots of the parks. I wanted to capture the lighting and that necessitated getting off of auto mode. I'll be heading to Disneyland in July, so looking forward to capturing Sleeping Beauty's castle, as well as Carsland!

After exiting Expedition, we did a bit of shopping in the area. Thanks to my constant photo taking obsession, I rarely had a chance to shop, let alone buy anything. I did find a pull over long sleeved jacket with some cool Expedition Everest patches. It cost around $60.00 and already has a small hole on one of the sleeves...LOL! I asked Sue if she could sew it, and she said to throw it out...YIKES!

Our stomachs began growling as much as the Bengal tigers there, so we began hunting down food. Sue found a cart that sold teri-beef sliders. It was the size of a small doughnut and cost five bucks, but it was amazingly tasty. We went right back and ordered another along with some type of noodles. The noodles, unfortunately, were rather tasteless. Or maybe the slider just spoiled my palette with its awesomeness....

Sliders & Noodles @ Disney's Animal Kingdom by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Cast Member Serves Up Refreshments @ Disney's Animal Kingdom by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Snack Bus @ DIsney's Animal Kingdom by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

We then headed slowly back to the park entrance, checking out the various stores and Christmas decorations that adorned the windows and doors.

Disney's Animal Kingdom 27 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Animal Kingdom 15 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Animal Kingdom 14 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

WOW! Are you planning to stay at Aulani for the entire two weeks? When the resort first opened, Disney was offering kamaina (local) rates starting at $550.00 per room. I thought that was crazy, but hey, it's a matter of perspective, I guess. I ended up booking two nights at the Grand Californian this July for over $600.00 a night!!!

I'm sure you and your family have been out to the North Shore? Have you tried Kua 'Aina Burgers? I actually prefer them over Village Burgers, and the sandwiches are a little cheaper. Again, my go to is the Avocado Burger (medium rare). The fries are incredible too. They cut their own and leave a bit of the potato skin on.

We are staying for a week at Aulani on rented DVC points which makes it much more affordable and parking is included so even better. I know the price is similar to what a moderate to higher end hotel in Waikiki would cost. We are at the Marriott Ko Olina for 5 nights before that and the kids are bugging for the first two nights in Waikiki because they love the action. We did head up to the North Shore last time but really want to spend more time up there this time. Thanks for the Kua 'Aina Burgers tip, I had read there is a location in Kapolei too so I have that on my list with the hopes that it is as good as Village Burger, glad to know you think so.

We are staying for a week at Aulani on rented DVC points which makes it much more affordable and parking is included so even better. I know the price is similar to what a moderate to higher end hotel in Waikiki would cost. We are at the Marriott Ko Olina for 5 nights before that and the kids are bugging for the first two nights in Waikiki because they love the action. We did head up to the North Shore last time but really want to spend more time up there this time. Thanks for the Kua 'Aina Burgers tip, I had read there is a location in Kapolei too so I have that on my list with the hopes that it is as good as Village Burger, glad to know you think so.

Fantastic that you're using DVC points for a better deal. I think Aulani charges around $22.00 a day for parking, so good that you have it included in your stay. Ko Olina is also a great hotel so you'll have a fantastic vacation. Too funny about your kids wanting to stay in Waikiki for a couple of nights. The locals avoid that area like the plague, but it does have a lot going on in terms of night life. If you ever have a chance, you might want to consider staying at the Turtle Bay Resort out on the North Shore. Pretty much the best beaches there, besides the one in Kailua. Look into The Kahala too. It's about a 10 minute drive from Waikiki, but a lot less hectic. Great beach access too and not as crowded as the Waikiki beaches (although the rooms are pricey...probably on the level of Aulani stay).

I looked at the Kahala but it is almost 400/night and for that price I would probably just tack on some more time at Aulani instead. I was thinking about Turtle Bay too, and I looked at the new MArriott Courtyard up by Poly Cultural Center. I have yet to book anything for those 2 nights, kinda hoping for a summer sale to come up...

We started slowly making out way back to the park entrance, even though we had barely scratched the surface of AK. Our plan was to check out Kidani Village and the Animal Kingdom main resort since we were in the general vicinity. Although we had snacked on sliders, lunch at Sanaa was also on the agenda.

Sue and I did manage to do two meet and greets before leaving the park. The first was with Pocahontas. My wife jokingly told me she'd allow me to take photos with a hot Indian princess...LOL! As an added bonus Ratcliffe showed up just as were finished up with the main character!

Pocahontas Meet & Greet @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pocahontas Meet & Greet @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Pocahontas Meet & Greet @ Disney's Animal Kingdom 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Governor Ratcliffe @ Pocahontas Meet & Greet 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Our next stop was the clubhouse of Dug and Russell! Let me tell you, UP is probably my favorite Pixar film (along with Monster Inc). The 1st 10 minutes of that animated gem has more emotional impact than most movies have in their entire 2 hour run. We're dog lovers so Dug immediately won our hearts. And Russell..LOL...a lot of young Japanese boys in Hawaii are exactly like him! I swear...I grew up with kids like Russell! He was my avatar on My Disney Experiences, so getting a chance to have a picture with him was too much fun!

Dug's Collar Kiosk @ Disney's Animal Kingdom by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Dug, Sue, Len, & Russell by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

On the way to the buses, we admired the decorations on the Christmas tree. As I've said before, the decorations at AK turned out to be my favorite.

Disney's Animal Kingdom Christmas Tree Detail 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Our 1st stop was Kidani Village. Not totally sure if this resort area is strictly for DVC members, but if it is, I would seriously look into purchasing after market points to stay here. This was the most relaxing and least crowded hotel on Disney property that we had visited. Part of it could be due to the time...a little after lunch...placing most of the guests at the parks. The lobby is much smaller and more intimate than the bigger Jambo House lobby at the main hotel. The overall ambience really put us in a relaxed mode which allowed us to take our time soaking in the atmosphere.

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village Lobby by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village Lobby 03 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge Kidani Village Lobby 02 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

Christmas Tree Detail @ Disney's Animal Kingdom Kidani Village 01 by Juneau Biscuits, on Flickr

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter