Marriott Grande Vista

crazypom

Mouseketeer
just back from a week stay at MGV May 13-20th. This was our first stay and first switch thru II. Our group included myself, DH, DD11, DS9, DD5, DS3,and DMIL. We had a 2 bdrm corner unit in the cristobal (sp?) building, #5507. We really enjoyed the resort and thought it was beautiful. The unit was beautifully decorated and clean. We had a great view from the patio and enjoyed sitting out in the evening. The kids loved the pool area - we only used the one on our side of the bridge so can't comment on the other. The "lower" pool was quite chilly but the one by the bar was pleasant. Food and drinks at the bar were average but drinks were pricey (good though!). The kids did some of the activities and enjoyed the animal show. The girls really enjoyed the craft time and made back packs and sandals. DS9 enjoyed the arcade. We did eat at the pizza hut twice and thought the pizza was really good. The krispy creme donuts were also a big hit (tip- they go on sale 2 for one about 7:30pm!!) The drive to DW was very easy and took about 10-15 minutes. My husband did try the golf course across the street and enjoyed it. We found all the staff to be friendly and helpful and after our initial refusal for a timeshare tour we were not pestered. We did talk to a couple who did the tour and they said it was very low key.
Overall we thought it was a great place to stay and would definately return. It was a pleasant, short walk across the bridge to the "main area" and would request the newer side again. It was nice to be set back from the main highways.
hope this helps, if you have any questions ask away and I will do my best to answer! :goodvibes

Welcome back Crazypom!!
We'll be going in 3 weeks and I can't wait. Anyhow, I have already requested one of the newer buildings (Ibiza #84) and I am assuming your building (Christobal #85) is pretty close by. My question is what type of view did you have and is the corner unit (2bedroom) more spacious or are they all just about the same? Also, how was the construction??? Thank you so much for that review :goodvibes !!

Hi, cristobal is the next building to ibiza. We had originally requested 79 or 84 to be by the pool but in hindsight were glad we got what we did. It is really noisy at the pool and at night there was often music and kareoke. We had the west corner of the building, 5th floor and it was great. We looked down the little lake, very pretty! We really enjoyed a quiet glass of wine on the patio and I think the noise at the other buildings may not have been as nice. (the kareoke was really bad!!) You could ask for the lake view side vs pool view and that would prob be fine. Construction was at the far end (past 79)and not disruptive in the slightest, most times it didn't even look like they were working. Don't know if corner units are any different. PM me with your e-mail and I can scan you a map!! It was a great resort and we would definately go back!

Diamondgrl said:
Welcome back Crazypom!!
We'll be going in 3 weeks and I can't wait. Anyhow, I have already requested one of the newer buildings (Ibiza #84) and I am assuming your building (Christobal #85) is pretty close by. My question is what type of view did you have and is the corner unit (2bedroom) more spacious or are they all just about the same? Also, how was the construction??? Thank you so much for that review :goodvibes !!

Diamondgrl: We just returned from MGV last Saturday and stayed in Building 84 (however I think that's the "Alicante" building). For our money, we had the greatest room location in the entire resort, on the lakeside corner of the top (6th) floor with a wraparound balcony that overlooked the pool and the lake. I have posted a link to some of my pictures of the resort on the other "Marriott Grande Vista" thread on this page.

As for the noise, you will definitely hear some in that building. The pool area tends to get rowdy in the afternoon with music/karaoke, etc., and the pools are open until 11:00 p.m. and there's always a bit of shouting/splashing to be heard. We actually prefer some of this -- makes me feel like I'm on vacation when I hear people enjoying themselves, and we travel with a "white noise" machine so our children can get to sleep.

Whatever you choose, I think you'll enjoy it. The resort is perfect.

crazypom said:
Hi, cristobal is the next building to ibiza. We had originally requested 79 or 84 to be by the pool but in hindsight were glad we got what we did. It is really noisy at the pool and at night there was often music and kareoke. We had the west corner of the building, 5th floor and it was great. We looked down the little lake, very pretty! We really enjoyed a quiet glass of wine on the patio and I think the noise at the other buildings may not have been as nice. (the kareoke was really bad!!) You could ask for the lake view side vs pool view and that would prob be fine. Construction was at the far end (past 79)and not disruptive in the slightest, most times it didn't even look like they were working. Don't know if corner units are any different. PM me with your e-mail and I can scan you a map!! It was a great resort and we would definately go back!

Hi Crazypom! :wave2: Thank you for your great review! I am also thinking of staying at the MGV next year, so I have a few questions. :teeth: Did you request to stay in the newer buildings during your check-in or did you call them a few weeks or days before your arrival? I was thinking of requesting the building next to the Copa Loca pool area, but I'm having second thoughts since I read about the loud music and karaoke at the bar and grill. What time does the bar and grill close? Was it hard to find parking at night?

Also, may I also have a scan of the resort map? I'll send you a PM of my e-mail if it's ok with you. Thanks!

Hi, I actually faxed in a request to be in 79/84 but when we checked in they were "full". As mentioned, it worked out best for our family as I think the noise would have kept the little kids up. I really don't think they pay much attention to the faxes/phone calls as when I mentioned I had faxed the girl at the front desk didn't seem to know anything about it.
No trouble with parking, although I don't think it was a super busy time. The resort/pools certainly didn't seem over-crowded. Not sure what time the bar/grill closed.
yes, you can PM me and I will scan you a map.
hope that helps, :goodvibes

Thanks for that map crazypom! And rejaboko, I kinda think I wouldn't mind the splashing and karaoke as well. So maybe that area would be good for us as well. Was the Alicante building newer or renovated?? I was advised on another board to call in your request and then about a week before arriving, fax them your request again and also mention to them that you are a disboard member (or any other type of member) and that you will be giving a review of there resort. I'm not too comfortable with that latter part because it kinda seems like you are threatening them that if you don't get a good building, then you will give them a bad review? So I'm not to sure, but from reading these reviews, I think I'll be o.k. with just about any of the buildings. Thanks again for all the good advice!!

Diamondgrl said:
Thanks for that map crazypom! And rejaboko, I kinda think I wouldn't mind the splashing and karaoke as well. So maybe that area would be good for us as well. Was the Alicante building newer or renovated?? I was advised on another board to call in your request and then about a week before arriving, fax them your request again and also mention to them that you are a disboard member (or any other type of member) and that you will be giving a review of there resort. I'm not too comfortable with that latter part because it kinda seems like you are threatening them that if you don't get a good building, then you will give them a bad review? So I'm not to sure, but from reading these reviews, I think I'll be o.k. with just about any of the buildings. Thanks again for all the good advice!!

Diamongrl: The Alicante building is about 2 years old. The furniture/fixtures showed no signs of wear, and everything worked except we had a minor problem with the remote control on the TV in the living area -- for some reason it didn't want to let us control the volume in DVD mode.

I would agree with the advice you were given about selecting rooms. It is my understanding that they assign the rooms on the weekend before arrival. They assign rooms in order of preference: Marriott Grand Vista owners first, then MVCI members, then Marriott rewards members, etc. I wouldn't hesitate to mention your DISboards status as well.

You may very well be happy with just about any of the buildings, although I would remind you that the resort is awfully big, and some of the buildings are quite far away from the main pools and activity areas. I've seen families walking toward the pool areas with their floaties/noodles/towels, etc., and it's quite a hike for the little ones from the outlying buildings.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter