Marriage License from Florida - Name Change? Please help......

MICKEY69

Mouseketeer
We will be applying for a marriage license in Florida and when we return to NJ, I will be changing my name on many different documents(SS card,DL, etc).

Do I need to get multiple copies before I leave Florida?

What happens after we are married in Disney do I need to bring the signed license to the town to process?

I want to make sure that I do everything before I leave Fla.

:earsgirl: :earsboy:

Your officient will file the marriage license after the wedding. You will recieve your official copy in the mail. We had ours within 2 weeks, but I guess it depends on how quickly your officient gets it back to the courthouse and how high their volume is.

We weren't given the option to get more than 1 copy originally. We had to order additional copies after the fact. This was more than a year ago, though, so it may have changed.

Hope this helps!
Lori

I found that one copy has been enough - like Lori said, we weren't allowed to order more than one initially. I think they make sure that the wedding takes place and the initial certificate is notarized properly before they will issue additional copies. When you change your name it is pretty simple, but a bit time consuming. Once you have your official copy of the certificate, visit your local social security office, there is a one page form to fill out and you need to present your current drivers license (with old name is o.k.), and proof of your marriage for the name change. The card will come in the mail within a couple weeks. For your drivers license, I just had to show my marriage license, and surrender my current license with my old name. You will also need to apply for a corrected car title and license plate registration separately if you have a car in your own name. In addition, you will also have to visit your bank in person to make changes to your account. If you want to add your husband's name to your account or vice versa, it is helpful to go together because you will have to sign new signature cards (even if you already have a joint account, my bank made us both sign the new signature cards). Most of the rest of your bills can be done on the phone (like utilities and credit cards). Also, if you are registered to vote, you will probably have to mail in a copy of your marriage certificate to your county clerk to get a new voter's card. All of the places that requested a copy of the license from me just wanted a photo copy, not an original. I did everything at one time, but there is really no huge rush. You will keep finding places that you have to call to make the change (like magazine subscriptions etc.. but eventually it will get done.

Marne
06-16-03

Just had another thought - when I changed my passport, they wanted an original copy (via the mail) which they returned when they send back my modified passport. I did that last though, so I wouldn't have to part with my original right away.

Lori

Thanks for the response I have less than 3 months and want to make sure I get the correct information...............

We just went through this. Since we are arriving on a Saturday and getting married on a Sunday ther clerk's office will be closed. So Friday we drover to Pensacola, FL from New Orleans, LA and went to the court house. The fee was $95.50 (what a rip off) and you can request extra copies at the time you get the license. They are $3 I think. When it is all said and done they will mail you your copies. So when you go to the courthouse just tell them you want extra copies and they will mail them in with the original.

Oh they charge you $2 to "swear" you in. You have to go around a corner (leave clerks view) and then come back saying that you read a "marriage pamphlet". It is a law in Florida. You don't even get to keep the pamphlet.

You can save like $30 if you attend a marriage counseling class... which we did. The problem is it wasn't a "Florida" approved class so we didn't get our discount.

It isn't the money... we had a great trip... took off of work... had great weather... went shopping. It was the fact that most marriage licenses are $15-30.

Hope this helps.

I know in my case I had a few places that wanted Certified Copies of marriage license. I just requested a form to request extra copies at time I applied for marriage license. I think my copies cost me 6.00 for first and 3.00 for each addional copy.

Because of all the running around that is needed to be done and the time that is needed to be taken to take care of the marriage licence I just ordered it online through a company called A wedding for you INC. I paid 180.00 for it but I must admit I didnt need to do anything at all except fill out a paper and fax it to them. This was a BIG time saver for me as well as a huge headache that I would of had to take care of if I did it when I arrived there. The link to their site is http://aweddingforyou.com/forminst.htm
May it will help out other brides to be that just dont have the time and are willing to pay the extra money.

Got married in Vegas this past October. Delayed Honeymoon coming up at WDW. Boy sounds like they make you jump through rings in FL for your license/certificate. I just had to pay $10 for my notirized certificate. It took about 4 weeks to get. We got a unauthorized one the day of the marriage and copies of that have been good enough for some of the less official name changes. I'm about halfway through the process of the name change. I have my new SS# waiting until after my trip for WDW(res are in maiden name) to get new DRivers Licenses then changing the bank info. Already changed at work. That was the easiest part.

I got to get married in a Castle!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter