Make a Wish (and other organizations) - Wish Trippers UNITE! Volume THREE! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok - here is the latest, up to the minute report on Harry Potter. I did check with families today and 2 had opted out of Universal, 1 went to Universal but avoided the Harry Potter and had a great time in the Dr. Suuez (however you spell it) area, however 1 family did go and did get into Harry Potter. They went at night, figuring the crowds would be less and they were. A team member did honor their special card and let them go to the front of line for the new ride - however, by missing the line that goes through the castle (I have heard that it takes 45 minutes of crowds and bumping, but worth it to the "real" Harry Potter affectionados. They did enjoy the ride and were very happy they had done in. They also were allowed to go to the front of the magic wand line and the chocolate line - each of which would have been a 45 minute wait. They did not try the butter beer as the wish child didn't expect to like it. Plus the cost - around $10 seemed high even if it included a souvenir mug. So that is my unofficial and totally unscientific survey. I will be at the pool on Friday and try to talk with some families then. By the way, the restaurant in the area is a fish and chips place.

Katie

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to drop you a line and tell you that I think you and all of your families are amazing and courageous. Because of the things that I have been reading that Disney is doing for you and your family, and the special treatment you are given, I will never ever complain about the cost of my room, the price of my soda or price of a hoodie. If only a miniscule amt. of what I pay goes towards giving your families your trips..it is so worth it to me.

I have a collection of Beanie Babies (probabaly close to 75) that all have tags and have been sitting in my display cabinet, doing nothing but staring at me. I called GTKTW after reading these posts, and since they have not been played with and have the tags, I can donate them. I'm so excited I could cry. I am going to send the box out tomorrow. Apparently, when you get to GTKTW, you get a welcome bag, and in the welcome bag is a stuffed animal of some kind. I am so excited that a Diser or their family member may get one of my beanies..that is where Phillip from GTKTW said the beanies would go..into the welcome bags.

I hope you all enjoy your trips..and if you look inside your welcome bag and find a beanie baby, I hope it is one of mine, and know that it was sent w/lots of love.:hug:

That is so sweet!!!:hug: Thank you so much for your donation from the heart! It means a lot that there are wonderful people like you still left in the world:thumbsup2

Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to drop you a line and tell you that I think you and all of your families are amazing and courageous. Because of the things that I have been reading that Disney is doing for you and your family, and the special treatment you are given, I will never ever complain about the cost of my room, the price of my soda or price of a hoodie. If only a miniscule amt. of what I pay goes towards giving your families your trips..it is so worth it to me.

I have a collection of Beanie Babies (probabaly close to 75) that all have tags and have been sitting in my display cabinet, doing nothing but staring at me. I called GTKTW after reading these posts, and since they have not been played with and have the tags, I can donate them. I'm so excited I could cry. I am going to send the box out tomorrow. Apparently, when you get to GTKTW, you get a welcome bag, and in the welcome bag is a stuffed animal of some kind. I am so excited that a Diser or their family member may get one of my beanies..that is where Phillip from GTKTW said the beanies would go..into the welcome bags.

I hope you all enjoy your trips..and if you look inside your welcome bag and find a beanie baby, I hope it is one of mine, and know that it was sent w/lots of love.:hug:

Wow! That is a great idea! I have tons of those things too! All in plastic bags, tags and all! If you don't mind- I am curious to know how much that will be roughly to ship. PM me if you wouldn't mind sharing that info please! Then I could send a bunch too and they would be supplied with beanies for quite some time! :lmao:

Hello Everyone,

That is so awesome!!!!!!!!

You are so sweet.

One thing...I think...that might be done with them, which would be really cool, too...is if they went on display in the Gingerbread House. They have dolls and such from all over the world - it would be cool to have one of your "babies" there for all of the kids to admire for years to come, too.

What a GREAT idea! :)

Ok - here is the latest, up to the minute report on Harry Potter. I did check with families today and 2 had opted out of Universal, 1 went to Universal but avoided the Harry Potter and had a great time in the Dr. Suuez (however you spell it) area, however 1 family did go and did get into Harry Potter. They went at night, figuring the crowds would be less and they were. A team member did honor their special card and let them go to the front of line for the new ride - however, by missing the line that goes through the castle (I have heard that it takes 45 minutes of crowds and bumping, but worth it to the "real" Harry Potter affectionados. They did enjoy the ride and were very happy they had done in. They also were allowed to go to the front of the magic wand line and the chocolate line - each of which would have been a 45 minute wait. They did not try the butter beer as the wish child didn't expect to like it. Plus the cost - around $10 seemed high even if it included a souvenir mug. So that is my unofficial and totally unscientific survey. I will be at the pool on Friday and try to talk with some families then. By the way, the restaurant in the area is a fish and chips place.

Katie

Katie - You are wonderful!!!!!

What a great report! Keep the info coming!

Katie - I appreciate your help on here so much. You have a great perspective that we just can't have. Your information is invaluable! Thanks for what you do for these families. :hug::hug:

I'm so happy that we finally got our nursing situation set!! We've had a really bad time with staffing our nursing hours for our daughter. Plus, several that we wouldn't want to come with us. But we've got 2 really good nurses that are coming with!!

And one of them, she has a young daughter (age 3), and they were planning a WDW trip for the fall. So she asked if her husband and DD could meet her down there. I said absolutely! We'd have no problem if they met up with us for some of the stuff. I know Kira would enjoy being with another kid. And she said she totally understands she's there to work, but at the same time, Kira's not a difficult case during the day. So she doesn't require much work. And her DH & DD, won't be around all the time, just a little bit. But I don't blame her, this is a great way for them to save some money and enjoy WDW too!

Yay for getting your nurses sorted out. I bet that is a big relief. It sounds like you will all have a good time and have nursing care too.

Hello Everyone,

you are so kind to do this for the families. :love:

Katie

Thank you for the update. This is very appreciated. Do you know how the line is to get into the castle? Or is that the part where the wand is? I have no clue lol so I hope that makes sense;)

My suggestion would be to tell the team member you want to see the memoriabilia in the castle and ask how the line is and how mjuch time it takes and then make your decision remembering that it is going to be dark and crowded inside.

One other thing - I heard that Harry Potter is actually Island's of Adventure. Jaws in the other park.

Katie

One other thing. The magic wand is something you purchase at one of the many shops. Apparantly the wand "chooses you" whatever that means. I am thinking it is in the $15 range. It is very popular and thus the 45 min. line.

Katie

Wow! That is a great idea! I have tons of those things too! All in plastic bags, tags and all! If you don't mind- I am curious to know how much that will be roughly to ship. PM me if you wouldn't mind sharing that info please! Then I could send a bunch too and they would be supplied with beanies for quite some time! :lmao:

I am shipping from NJ, via UPS Ground. Total weight of 76 Beanies is 27 lbs. Total Published Cost is less than $15.00 I am lucky enough to have my work allow my to ship them on their UPS acct. The amt. I am paying (or actually my company is paying) is $7.00 even.:banana: I found a Jack Sparrow action figure that my mom purchased for me (as I love Jack).. and of course, it just was sitting in the box, on my bureau. I threw that in too, as I am hoping a little pirate will play w/Jack.:yay:

One other thing. The magic wand is something you purchase at one of the many shops. Apparantly the wand "chooses you" whatever that means. I am thinking it is in the $15 range. It is very popular and thus the 45 min. line.

Katie

They have a "show" in the wand shop where the wand chooses the wizard. But for now they are letting in groups of around 25 people in and choosing ONE to be the chosen for a wand. My understanding is that this is usually a child, but has also been an adult.

It is possible that they would choose a wish child, I would think, if they are there - but not at all guaranteed - especially if the person doing the choosing has no idea that there is a wish child in the room.

But the ceremony itself is supposed to be pretty cool and VERY cool if you are the one chosen.

Just an FYI for the parents to warn the kids that they may not get picked to participate, but they can still get a wand.

PS - If you have a child that is WAY into Harry Potter and they are the wish child and their wish is to be choosen - tell someone! You could possibly wait a while and see if they could get you in and get them to be the one that is choosen. Not sure at all how it works, but if that is your desire, then go there first during the day so that they might be able to accomodate you.

Hey all!

When I voted for the Pepsi Refresh project this morning, GKTW was down to 11th! :scared1: They were as high as 9th at one point.

Please vote often and pass the word to everyone you know! The contest is until the end of June and you can vote once per day per e-mail account. The top two spots get the $250,000 grant.

The link is in Maroo's signature or google Pepsi Refresh project!

Thanks! I really want to see them get the grant and I know all of our votes will help!

Hey all!

When I voted for the Pepsi Refresh project this morning, GKTW was down to 11th! :scared1: They were as high as 9th at one point.

Please vote often and pass the word to everyone you know! The contest is until the end of June and you can vote once per day per e-mail account. The top two spots get the $250,000 grant.

The link is in Maroo's signature or google Pepsi Refresh project!

Thanks! I really want to see them get the grant and I know all of our votes will help!

Thank you! :)

I have a question... does GKTW ever have any supplies that you can use there? We'll be traveling with a ventilator, so she uses a hundifier at night. Plus all the oxygen, gauze pads, etc... Also, how did MAW schedule your airline tickets? We're going to have 8 people traveling with us, our family of 4, my parents, and our 2 nurses. And with K's vent, we'll need seating for that.

Also, what about transportation at GKTW? Are there shuttles to/from the parks? Do we NEED a rental car?? With having 8 people, plus all the luggage and equipment, that's pushing it. What about our nurses? For example, our night nurse obviously won't be with us during the day. Someone in my PTR thread suggested that the nurses can stay off-site in a regular hotel room. But if we do that, then our night nurse wants to go do something during the day, how would she get around?

I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions, but just getting started! LOL! I just don't know what to expect! I don't know what we need to buy, schedule, plan for, etc...

I have a question... does GKTW ever have any supplies that you can use there?

I would not count on it. They don't have medical staff on duty or anything. There is a Walmart right on the corner very close to Disney that would have some basic supplies.

GKTW does have a basic first aid kit there and did have a thermometer that we used for Lauren (and some Tylenol), but I would not count on much more than the basics at GKTW. The Walmart is a regular size Walmart and I am pretty sure they have a pharmacy. There are also lots of drug stores close by.

I think most parents have had supplies delivered to GKTW by a Medical Company so that you didn't have to travel with everything. I know some things can't be delivered, but anything that can, I would let MAW request for you and it can be delivered to GKTW.

We'll be traveling with a ventilator, so she uses a hundifier at night. Plus all the oxygen, gauze pads, etc... Also, how did MAW schedule your airline tickets?

Our chapter just purchased them for us and let us know our flight numbers, etc.

We're going to have 8 people traveling with us, our family of 4, my parents, and our 2 nurses. And with K's vent, we'll need seating for that.

Also, what about transportation at GKTW? Are there shuttles to/from the parks? Do we NEED a rental car?? With having 8 people, plus all the luggage and equipment, that's pushing it.

They do have shuttles...but from what I have read here, I think most families would prefer renting a car unless they just could not drive. The shuttles are on a very fixed schedule. Some don't leave the resort until late morning and at one point they did not have room for very many wheelchairs. They also only go to specific parks on certain days - so your touring would be very rigid. You are probably going to want flexibility with that many people.

I would ask your MAW chapter to rent you guys a wheelchair accessible van or something similar - hopefully it would have enough room.

What about our nurses? For example, our night nurse obviously won't be with us during the day. Someone in my PTR thread suggested that the nurses can stay off-site in a regular hotel room. But if we do that, then our night nurse wants to go do something during the day, how would she get around?

I think I would rent the nurses a car? Maybe just one between them? So that they can travel during the day - I would not want to be stuck at the hotel.

You can check http://www.mousesavers.com for great deals on rental cars. The best deals come out about 14 days before you will travel. You can always book a rental car, even if you don't end up needing it.

There is also a rental car place right on Disney property...if you decide you need one once you get down there, but I am not sure how good of a deal you could get.

I would think cab fares would add up very quickly and that the best bet would be to rent a car for them.

I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions, but just getting started! LOL! I just don't know what to expect! I don't know what we need to buy, schedule, plan for, etc...

Those are all great questions!

You are definitely going to need to call your chapter...but what I know I put in pink above.

I would call your chapter, though. A lot of the answers are going to have to do with how your chapter handles the extra people. If they are nurses, they may add them to your trip...or they may not? Totally depends on your situation and your particular chapter.

Wow....I can't believe the wish tripper's thread has gotten so big! Thanks to Maroo for keeping it going.

~Elisa

My suggestion would be to tell the team member you want to see the memoriabilia in the castle and ask how the line is and how mjuch time it takes and then make your decision remembering that it is going to be dark and crowded inside.

One other thing - I heard that Harry Potter is actually Island's of Adventure. Jaws in the other park.

Katie

Katie

Thank you Katie. your tips are very much appreciated.

They have a "show" in the wand shop where the wand chooses the wizard. But for now they are letting in groups of around 25 people in and choosing ONE to be the chosen for a wand. My understanding is that this is usually a child, but has also been an adult.

It is possible that they would choose a wish child, I would think, if they are there - but not at all guaranteed - especially if the person doing the choosing has no idea that there is a wish child in the room.

But the ceremony itself is supposed to be pretty cool and VERY cool if you are the one chosen.

Just an FYI for the parents to warn the kids that they may not get picked to participate, but they can still get a wand.

PS - If you have a child that is WAY into Harry Potter and they are the wish child and their wish is to be choosen - tell someone! You could possibly wait a while and see if they could get you in and get them to be the one that is choosen. Not sure at all how it works, but if that is your desire, then go there first during the day so that they might be able to accomodate you.

We will make sure to wear our Wish buttons too. Maybe that will help.

I have a question... does GKTW ever have any supplies that you can use there? We'll be traveling with a ventilator, so she uses a hundifier at night. Plus all the oxygen, gauze pads, etc... Also, how did MAW schedule your airline tickets? We're going to have 8 people traveling with us, our family of 4, my parents, and our 2 nurses. And with K's vent, we'll need seating for that.

Our Wish Organization (MAW) has made sure we have some supplies we need at GKTW. A nebulizer is one of them so we don't have to bring it. I just let her know what we will need and she let me know what they can provide.

Also, what about transportation at GKTW? Are there shuttles to/from the parks? Do we NEED a rental car?? With having 8 people, plus all the luggage and equipment, that's pushing it. What about our nurses? For example, our night nurse obviously won't be with us during the day. Someone in my PTR thread suggested that the nurses can stay off-site in a regular hotel room. But if we do that, then our night nurse wants to go do something during the day, how would she get around?

I am not sure but I have heard GKTW has a shuttle to and from the parks but it is at certain time.

Ask away! This wonderful board has provided us with endless information.;)

Has anyone gone back to Disney after a wish trip? We are considering the Disney Cruise, right now they have "kids sail free" and we could actually afford it! We're just worried that after doing a wish trip, we're spoiled for just a "normal" vacation. If you read our TR you know our wish trip was complicated with the NoroVirus that broke out, which of course my kiddo's caught. We still had so much fun and realized that taking a vacation brought so much joy to us, we really want to do it again, and Disney was so wonderful in how they took care of us, we want to stick with Disney. So the question would be, are we ruined forever for Disney?

Has anyone gone back to Disney after a wish trip? We are considering the Disney Cruise, right now they have "kids sail free" and we could actually afford it! We're just worried that after doing a wish trip, we're spoiled for just a "normal" vacation. If you read our TR you know our wish trip was complicated with the NoroVirus that broke out, which of course my kiddo's caught. We still had so much fun and realized that taking a vacation brought so much joy to us, we really want to do it again, and Disney was so wonderful in how they took care of us, we want to stick with Disney. So the question would be, are we ruined forever for Disney?

We are returning in 2 weeks....had our wish trip last May. I am also worried it won't be as magical! But we are super excited to be going back! Can't wait to return to GKTW for a quick visit also!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter