Magical EBTA 2017

Hello everyone! this is going to be our first Disney cruise and we are all really excited but we have been on 3 carnival cruises. We are excited to go on our first Transatlantic cruise and excited to do the Fish extender gift exchange .we are working on putting out 10 messages so we can private message about joining Fish extenders groups.

Last edited:
Hello everyone! this is going to be our first Disney cruise and we are all really excited but we have been on 3 carnival cruises. We are excited to go on our first Transatlantic cruise and excited to do the Fish extender gift exchange .we are working on putting out 10 messages so we can private message about joining Fish extenders groups.
:welcome:

Does anyone have any information regarding advance booking for a character breakfast? Is it normal that it wouldn't be available yet to book even though I am within my booking window? (We may just be a tad bit excited.)

I seem to remember having to go to the desk, not shore excursion, to pick up the character breakfast tix. Is it possible that it has something to do with dining rotations? The breakfast was not something we did on line.

Quick tip we have learned from our years of traveling in north eastern Europe. From Copenhagen you can take a ferry and train to Helsinki, which includes amazing sights. Then get on a very cheap flight from Helsinki airport. It is a very cute, quite, and spacious little airport which our family enjoys our long layovers in. They have many great restaurants, shops, sitting areas, and private lounges. And if you keep your eye out you may spot a little sleep pod which is an cute little pod where you can take in a quick power nap. Some one way flights from Helsinki to JFK cost less than $200 per person. Average is 200-300 dollars per person.

When we stop at Dover is there a possible chance to get to London, if so how could you get to London at the quickest time possible?

Any advice on Amsterdam? What is close to the port? We planned on doing DCL Port Adventures at each stop, but the options are extremely limited in Amsterdam if you are traveling with young children.

Any advice on Amsterdam? What is close to the port? We planned on doing DCL Port Adventures at each stop, but the options are extremely limited in Amsterdam if you are traveling with young children.

The inner city of Amsterdam is on walking distance from the ship (about 15 minutes max). You can do a Canal Boat Tour with young children. You can do this on your own and it is not needed to do a Disney Port Adventure for this.

For lunch, search for a Dutch Pancake restaurant. There are a few of them in the city centra. Look for example: http://www.upstairspannenkoeken.nl/.
Really nice for children.

When you have more questions about Amterdam, ask me. I live already 51 years in a city 3 miles from Amsterdam. I will be on the EBTA cruise also together with my wife and friends.

Welcome, Kerpe!

Quick tip we have learned from our years of traveling in north eastern Europe. From Copenhagen you can take a ferry and train to Helsinki, which includes amazing sights. Then get on a very cheap flight from Helsinki airport. It is a very cute, quite, and spacious little airport which our family enjoys our long layovers in. They have many great restaurants, shops, sitting areas, and private lounges. And if you keep your eye out you may spot a little sleep pod which is an cute little pod where you can take in a quick power nap. Some one way flights from Helsinki to JFK cost less than $200 per person. Average is 200-300 dollars per person.

Good info! Thanks!

When we stop at Dover is there a possible chance to get to London, if so how could you get to London at the quickest time possible?

Hiring a private car has worked well for us. We've used Silverline Travel for quick, reliable round-trip transportation between Dover and London (in 2010 and again in 2015). silverlinetravel.co.uk

Here are some more thoughts about your Dover to London question... We're scheduled to be in Dover from 7:30am until 8pm, which would be more than enough time to get to London and back.

Taking the train is the most economical way and only takes a little over an hour each way, but you have to add time to get to and from the train stations and also factor in their departure times.

Going by car on a good day will take about 2 hours one-way. We'll be there on a Wednesday, so you would most likely encounter rush hour traffic delays, especially in the morning.

One positive thing about booking a Disney excursion is they are supposed to hold the ship if the tour runs late getting back.

Good luck deciding!

Here are some more thoughts about your Dover to London question... We're scheduled to be in Dover from 7:30am until 8pm, which would be more than enough time to get to London and back.

Taking the train is the most economical way and only takes a little over an hour each way, but you have to add time to get to and from the train stations and also factor in their departure times.

Going by car on a good day will take about 2 hours one-way. We'll be there on a Wednesday, so you would most likely encounter rush hour traffic delays, especially in the morning.

One positive thing about booking a Disney excursion is they are supposed to hold the ship if the tour runs late getting back.

Good luck deciding!

Thank you so much that helps a lot. Hopefully we will be getting some London souvenirs this summer ;)

For anyone heading to London on your own, let me highly recommend getting tickets to visit the Sky Garden (in the "walkie-talkie shaped building, 20 Fenchurch Street London EC3M 3BY). The tickets are free and can be booked approximately 3 weeks in advance at skygarden.london/booking The views are AMAZING!!!!

It just dawned on me that this will be the first time a Disney cruise ship enters the Amsterdam Cruise Port! Some ports greet a first-time arrival with water arches and great ceremony. I was curious what the ACP does and although I didn't find anything about a water arch greeting, I did learn this:

About the plaque & key ceremony
A maiden call – when a ship calls at a particular port for the first time - traditionally results in the plaque and key ceremony. During this celebration, which takes place on the ship, a delegation from the port warmly welcomes the ship's captain and presents him with a plaque & key (plaque of the city). The welcome delegation consists of representatives from the ports, Amsterdam Cruise Port (ACP) and staff of the terminal of call. In IJmuiden, the (deputy) mayor usually makes an appearance too. In addition to the plaque, the captain receives a copy of A Millennium of Amsterdam, a lovely book that outlines the origins of the Dutch capital, from ACP. The courtesies also consist of the captain giving a gift in return, usually also a plaque or a miniature version of the ship in question, followed by an extensive tour of the cruise ship.

http://www.amsterdamcruise.nl/news/...-in-its-role-as-port-of-call-for-cruise-ships

Exciting!!! :)

The inner city of Amsterdam is on walking distance from the ship (about 15 minutes max). You can do a Canal Boat Tour with young children. You can do this on your own and it is not needed to do a Disney Port Adventure for this.

For lunch, search for a Dutch Pancake restaurant. There are a few of them in the city centra. Look for example: http://www.upstairspannenkoeken.nl/.
Really nice for children.

When you have more questions about Amterdam, ask me. I live already 51 years in a city 3 miles from Amsterdam. I will be on the EBTA cruise also together with my wife and friends.

Thank you! I think this will be a good option for us!

A friend mentioned there are areas of Amsterdam that ought to be avoided, especially with young children. It seemed she sort of stumbled upon them. Any advice?

Thank you! I think this will be a good option for us!

A friend mentioned there are areas of Amsterdam that ought to be avoided, especially with young children. It seemed she sort of stumbled upon them. Any advice?

Like any other city there are areas you should avoid. But this is moslty during late evening and night. We will visit Amsterdam during morning and afternoon so my warning is only: take care of personal belongings. Pickpockets are all over Amsterdam. Especially in metro, bus and crowded places.

I will pass on something I learned on the DisBoards a few years ago. Icelandic Air usually has very good prices from Europe to major cities on the east coast of the US. But the really attractive thing about them is that they allow up to 7 days layover in Iceland and they still consider it a "single" direct flight. Flights right now from Copenhagen look to be about $444 for Copenhagen to Washington Dulles.

I will pass on something I learned on the DisBoards a few years ago. Icelandic Air usually has very good prices from Europe to major cities on the east coast of the US. But the really attractive thing about them is that they allow up to 7 days layover in Iceland and they still consider it a "single" direct flight. Flights right now from Copenhagen look to be about $444 for Copenhagen to Washington Dulles.
We are using this information, learned here, for our upcoming trip. We have passed it along to others as well! We are traveling to Newark.

Does anyone have any information regarding advance booking for a character breakfast? Is it normal that it wouldn't be available yet to book even though I am within my booking window? (We may just be a tad bit excited.)

Hey Lae, not sure what you mean character breakfast?

If you mean aboard ship: you don't need to book. One morning will be a character breakfast and you will be notified when. You'll sit at your usual table, etc. If for some reason you cannot make that date, because you have a spa booked or something, tell Guest Services when you get on.

Hey everybody!

So glad to be here. We were on the first TA cruise way back when, and I'm thrilled to be on another. It will be me, DH, and our 18 year old daughter. (She'll return home to graduate but her classes and exams will be finished!) BTW she's happy to finally be able to take advantage of the 18 and older activities and she was floored when I told her there was an adult pool!

I'm coming to the thread late, but please put us on the list for meet and greets and FE if anyone's planning that. So excited!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter