Magic Kingdom & Hoop Dee Doo Revue Review

mshanson3121

DIS Veteran
Second day at Disney :)

So, it was hot, much hotter than yesterday, lol. From about noon on was pretty bad, but again, with water, Frogg Toggs and making use of shade - totally doable. We had some really magical moments today, wow.

We tried to make rope drop, but yeah, due to a few issues getting out of the house (seriously, I think I had to make 4 trips back in for forgotten items) we didn't quite make it. We got into the park shortly after 9:00, but by the time we went through bag check and got our stroller it was probably 9:20 before we were under way.

So, our first attraction was meeting Mickey, however, it was already a 30 minute wait by the time we got there, so I went to get a DAS return time for Mickey, while the rest of the gang went and got in line for Tinker Bell who only had a 15 minute wait. Magic "luck" moment #1: The system froze while issuing our DAS return time. They let me go join the gang waiting for Tinker Bell while they continued to work on it. Soon after, dumbbell me remembered that we had a FP+ for Tinker Bell on another day. lol. So we left the line, the CM saw us leaving and asked what was wrong, so I told her oh I just remembered that we had FP+ so we'd come back later. So she said, "Oh! Well, tell you what, why don't you go see Mickey now? Your DAS return time froze, so just go ahead!" So, we basically walked right in! Only one family ahead of us! The kids were sooooo excited!

From there, we figured we would attempt to follow our touring plan, so we headed for Jungle Cruise. It was a short wait, but unfortunately our day had a bit of a rough start. DS (SPD, Tourettes) was really bothered by the engine noise of the trolley that takes you to the TTC, so that just put him in an anxious mood, and the ride I thought he'd love, he just really was timid and anxious about, especially as there are a couple sudden roars etc... from the animals. Thankfully we had ear plugs which we used the rest of the day. DD (5) enjoyed the ride.

From there we went to Aladdin's Carpets, which really saved the day, lol. They were both loved that ride and from there we went to Splash Mountain, which with a FP+ we literally walked on it, no wait. I admit, as we were walking past the hoardes of people standing in line waiting (a 90 minute wait by 10:15ish), I became a true believer and fan of the FP+ system. The kids LOVED Splash Mountain! I admit, we were worried, given how the day had started, but we really made it a game for our son and told him that each time we came to a drop, for him to scream, and he and his sister could have a screaming contest to see who was louder. It really gave him something to focus on other than the potential fear factor.

After Splash, we met Jesse & Woody. Line was quite long, about 30 minutes. It was so hot that the characters had to keep ducking inside about every 10 minutes to cool off, but no way was DD leaving without those signatures. Enter Magical Moment #2: DS is a real artist. He loves to draw. And what he has been doing is drawing each character on the opposite page of their signature in his autograph book. So while we waited in line, he did an amazing (for a 7 year old) drawing of Woody and wrote "Hero" on it. So when they finally got to meet them, he showed Woody and he made such a big deal of it. Woody and Jesse really hammed it up and went around showing everyone the drawing, Woody pointing to the word hero, pointing back at himself as if to say "That's me!" Then the cast members all passed the book around themselves look at it, coming over to him telling him how good it was, and asking if he was going to be their next Imagineer. It really made him feel good.

We ate lunch at Peco Bill's Tall Tale Cafe which we found reasonable and good. The wait wasn't too bad, but we also went at shortly after 11:00 to beat the rush, and by the time we were done it was really filling up inside.

From there we tried to do Country Bear Jamboree but it was down for repairs, so we went to the Tiki show which was cute, but DD was not handling the wait well, so her grandfather took her on the Magic Carpets ride 2x while we were there. From there it was on to Tom Sawyers Island, which was a nice break for us adults, lol. I highly recommend it - there's picnic tables and shade, lol! Also, don't miss the checker board set on the boat ramp! The kids sat there playing a game for a bit.

While on the raft back, DD caught sight of BTMR and that was that. She HAD to ride it. Which in a way was great, I knew she'd enjoy it. But the bad side was - she has ASD, was immediately fixated, she was also hot, tired and not even remotely understanding of the fact that the ride had a 60 minute wait and we had no FP+ for it, and I could tell that not riding was going to be a meltdown. But unfortunately, we had to leave the park before we could get a return time, so I admit, I tried a Hail Mary, Magic Lucky Moment #3: We went up to get a DAS return time, explained the circumstances, and they let us go right on! And she LOVED it. She was a little timid once we got up to it, but she said, "I going to be a brave girl!" and she was so proud of herself. For anyone with noise sensitive children - I definitely recommend ear plugs for BTMR, it is REALLY loud when going up the ramps. DS could never have managed that ride based on the noise alone.

It was time to leave after that, and as we were walking out, we were lucky to catch Dream Along with Mickey (it was about halfway through). The kids were literally shouting with excitement, and dragging us, running to see it. So we stood and watched the last 10 minutes, and I admit, being the emotional sap that I am, I teared up (okay, cried) as I was recording it, when it got to the part about just believing in your dreams, how they'll come true. For all the headaches of planning this frigging trip, it has been a dream of mine for a long time that I didn't think was ever going to happen. Heck, there was a time that we didn't even know if DD was going to be alive for her first birthday, so, to be there today with my children, with my daughter healthy, seeing their excitement... yeah. It means a lot.

So, from there we boarded the boat and went to Hoop Dee Doo Revue at Fort Wilderness. And here's my advice: YOU MUST SEE THIS. MUST MUST MUST. It is worth every penny. For starters the food was great, our waiter was excellent, but the show was hilarious. It had us in tears more than once from laughing so hard and the children LOVED it. Magical Moments #4, was really the whole show. We had paid for balcony seats, but because there wasn't large crowd, we got seated on the floor - and not just any seat, we got THE best seat in the whole house, dead center right next to the opening where they perform several acts out on the floor. We were one of the families they spotlighted for a song, we had characters standing right in front of us several times, engaging the kids etc... We've been to a few dinner shows, and this was by far the best. The level of interaction is amazing, the jokes are sooo corny but so funny, and the music was great. The kids loved playing the washboard!

We didn't even remotely follow our touring plan today, and it's okay! We're more or less just following the kids cues and trying to get our FP+ done. And so ends another day, and tomorrow we're off to Animal Kingdom!

Oh! And we are loving Memory Maker - totally worth the money. We're only two days in and between the stock shots and our photos we've gotten 165 photos. The kids LOVE the Magic Photos!

As for weather, it's been sunny, hot, with showers typically from 4-7, though we didn't get a drop of rain today. Temps have been high (today was 103), but the next 2-3 days are supposed to be a bit cooler and Monday's predicted high is only 89!

Last edited:
Thank you for your wonderful reviews. We can't make it back there after going for a lot of times. I love reliving through your new memories.

What a great review I really enjoyed reading this. Glad you had a great 2nd day and that you really enjoyed the Hoop De Doo Revue. It is so fantastic and is a must do.

We didn't even remotely follow our touring plan today, and it's okay! We're more or less just following the kids cues and trying to get our FP+ done. And so ends another day, and tomorrow we're off to Animal Kingdom!
Above is my favorite part of your review..........you had a plan.........but when things changed..........you went with the flow! :D This is really the best approach to having a wonderful trip..........have a plan..........but don't be so locked in that when the moment happens you don't take advantage of it! Excellent approach.........sounds like you had fun.

We haven't done the Hoop Dee Doo Revue but the more we hear about it...........the more we want to do it. Looking at Jan 2016 for our turn :P

Thanks again for such great information.

Doug :goofy:

How old are the members of your party? We always stay at Fort Wilderness, and my kids will have just turned 3 and 5 when we go next time. Trying to decide if they're old enough to enjoy the show at that point or if we will be spending a lot of money for nothing.

Above is my favorite part of your review..........you had a plan.........but when things changed..........you went with the flow! :D This is really the best approach to having a wonderful trip..........have a plan..........but don't be so locked in that when the moment happens you don't take advantage of it! Excellent approach.........sounds like you had fun.

We haven't done the Hoop Dee Doo Revue but the more we hear about it...........the more we want to do it. Looking at Jan 2016 for our turn :P

Thanks again for such great information.

Doug :goofy:

This was my favorite line as well! Best moments are always the unplanned ones!

I loved your review, and the Magical Moments you experienced are the reason we continue to return year after year. It is impossible to calculate the value of kindness extended in unexpected ways, and for my family, that value is measured in treasured memories.

Please continue to share your trip, I am enjoying it along with your family!

Another great day :thumbsup2 After all your careful planning and concerns I'm truly happy you guys are having a great time and experiencing those magical moments. As for HDDR, we did it last year with our boys 12 and 8 at the time. I'd been wanting to try it, figured we'd like it and I could check it off the list but everyone loved it! LOL DH got picked to be the angel........DS now 9 can't wait to do it again!
Looking forward to your AK review; glad it's supposed to be a bit cooler when you're there.

Thank you so much for sharing, I'm misty eyed now knowing exactly how you feel in those little Magical Moments. Have no shame about the crying--I can't even watch the planning DVD without crying so you aren't alone!

So glad you loved HDDR. Can't wait to see it again in September-it's a favorite of ours.

Wow, what a great day. Lots of magical moments for sure. Sounds like your kids really did great with all of the noises etc! I love the story about the picture of Woody, so cute.

This was wonderful to read!! Thank you for posting it. Also I've been going back and forth about purchasing Memory Maker, but after reading this, I am off to add it right now! :)

How old are the members of your party? We always stay at Fort Wilderness, and my kids will have just turned 3 and 5 when we go next time. Trying to decide if they're old enough to enjoy the show at that point or if we will be spending a lot of money for nothing.

Our son is almost 8 and our daughter just turned 5 - though with her ASD she's quite delayed socially/emotionally, so in a way she's more on a late 3/4 year old level. There were several babies, toddlers, preschoolers in the audience. In fact, in the last act, they brought a little boy up on the stage that couldn't have been more than 3!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts