Lots of new not so common Allergies...

stwestrox

Earning My Ears
My son just got diagnosed with a whole slew of new allergies.
On top of the known Wheat, Oat, Dairy and All Nuts (we've been very successful with these allergies at Disney World)... we are adding Soy, Coconut, Pea, Legumes (ALL beans/lentils), Potato, Tomatoes, All Night Shades (paprika, chili peppers..) and Sweet Potato..

I've checked out the diary free, soy free and gluten free and nut free lists along with cross checking ingredients..

Aside from being overwhelmed in our daily life figuring out what to feed our kid, what new dr appt to grab - I'm trying to figure out what meals to cancel/schedule..

It looks like he can still have the following at the quick serve stations.

Ener-G tapioca hotdog buns and hamburger buns
Allergy Free Chicken nuggets

Which gives us some options for quick service, but I need to book some reservation.

My son LOVES the allergy mickey waffles, but I've read that some places use the Bobs Red Mill flour - which contains chickpea flour.

Is there any way that we can let them know ahead of time that we are coming and find out what places use what?

If you have some of these extra allergies, were you able to eat anything at sit down restaurants???

Allergies are no fun.

My dd has celiac and years ago I used to call the special dietary needs number 407-824-5967. (that was maybe 5-6 years ago) At that time they used to take my reservation number and have each chef call me back to discuss dd's dietary needs.
You can try calling that number see if they can help. Also their email is specialdiets@disneyworld.com

My DS eats a lot of chicken and fish at Disney. It seems like every place has either salmon or mahi mahi. They will pan fry and lightly season it. Then for sides they give him steamed rice and a vegetable. I would expect a lot of meat and rice. Check into whether enjoy life products are an option, every place will have enjoy life cookies and rice dream ice cream. (the chocolate syrup for ice cream is hit and miss for a soy allergy)

They will likely also have rice noodles, which they will toss with oil and seasoning for no tomato.
For breakfast, any place that does Mickey allergy waffles will have either Bob's or Namaste mix, often both. They can make you waffles or pancakes with those. I didn't see you mention eggs- you will probably end up with a lot of eggs and bacon.

Special diets will send you a form to fill out if you contact them. For a two week trip with 2 dining reservations per day, the last two years we had two chefs call us before our trip each year. The rest of them just dealt with us when we got there. Last year nobody made anything to prepare (such as a special dessert). DS went through the trip basically having the same lunch, dinner and desserts every day regardless of where we went. At least he was safe.

I have had multiple chefs tell me in Sept 2012 and Sept 2013 that that Ener-G brand items are no longer found on property :(. It was my only safe bread option so I hate to share this info but didn't want you to be disappointed when you go. However, I have lots of allergies (most of what you guys face plus many more) and I've still had amazing meals. My very favorite places to dine at WDW are Sanaa at Kidani Village (Animal Kingdom Lodge) and Cat Cora's Kouzinna (Boardwalk). Both great with allergies and have gone above and beyond in providing me appetizers, meals AND desserts. On my last trip, many places were serving GNI (gluten not included) bread so you may check their website and see if that looks like it'll be safe. Hope your trip is great!

I don't have any experience with such extensive allergies, but I did want to tell you to watch out for the Earth Balance margarine. I don't know what kind Disney carries, but I don't think any of them are safe for you now because both the Original and the Dairy Free/Soy Free one contain pea protein.

I don't have any experience with such extensive allergies, but I did want to tell you to watch out for the Earth Balance margarine. I don't know what kind Disney carries, but I don't think any of them are safe for you now because both the Original and the Dairy Free/Soy Free one contain pea protein.

Thanks for this kind of tip, we are aware as we have 2 tubs to get rid of in our fridge.
At home we just switched to olive and grape seed oil.

We have a list of uncommon food allergies for my kids as well as a whole host of foods we've yet to even try because of the severity of their allergies. When I first took my ODS at 2 1/2 I sent on the form to Special Diets and included the list of his 20 safe foods. Last year we had some issues because I didn't reach out up front so on our next trip I requested to speak to the chefs where we were dining. All but one called me back and went through what foods he can have and what he likes and they even ordered something for his meal and fresh baked a batch of cookies at one restaurant. I find its easiest if you tell them what he can eat and likes to eat at home then they'd can work from there instead of saying "okay we are avoiding x, y and z, what can we have?"

I have had multiple chefs tell me in Sept 2012 and Sept 2013 that that Ener-G brand items are no longer found on property :(. It was my only safe bread option so I hate to share this info but didn't want you to be disappointed when you go.

There are places with Ener-G rolls though not a lot. Biergarten still has them and a few weeks ago when I was at the AK allergy kiosk it seemed as though several places had 3 different brands of rolls available: Ener-G, Udi's, and GNI. I think it was Ener-G I was served at BOG as well though it's possible they were GNI but I really think they were Ener-G (obviously you need to ask).

I think they've brought them back to more places than they had them when they first went to Udi's and then GNI. I suspect Special Diets heard from a lot of people about the brand changes and tried to go back to at least some of the older options. I'm just glad I can get Udi's at most places because my girls can't eat Ener-G or GNI but DD13 at least can eat Udi's (DD16 can't eat any breads at WDW other than the papadams at AK which are more cracker than bread). Actually, now that I think about it, at BOG DD13 was served Food For Life millet bread slices since they only had the Ener-G rolls. I was surprised that they had FFL.

According to the latest gluten free list from Special Diets, some type of Ener-G bun (hot dog, dinner roll, etc) can be found at the following locations.
AK: Flame Tree BBQ
AK: Tusker House
FW: Mickey's Back Yard BBQ
FW: Hoop Dee Doo Review
FW: Trail's End
GF: Citrico's
OKW: Olivia's Cafe
Pop: food court
POFQ: food court
POR: food court
SSR: food court
SSR: Turf Club
Epcot: Akershus
Epcot: Biergarten
Epcot: Coral Reef
Epcot: LeCellier
Epcot: Liberty Inn
MK: Be Our Guest
MK: Tony's Town Square

There are places with Ener-G rolls though not a lot. Biergarten still has them and a few weeks ago when I was at the AK allergy kiosk it seemed as though several places had 3 different brands of rolls available: Ener-G, Udi's, and GNI. I think it was Ener-G I was served at BOG as well though it's possible they were GNI but I really think they were Ener-G (obviously you need to ask). I think they've brought them back to more places than they had them when they first went to Udi's and then GNI. I suspect Special Diets heard from a lot of people about the brand changes and tried to go back to at least some of the older options. I'm just glad I can get Udi's at most places because my girls can't eat Ener-G or GNI but DD13 at least can eat Udi's (DD16 can't eat any breads at WDW other than the papadams at AK which are more cracker than bread). Actually, now that I think about it, at BOG DD13 was served Food For Life millet bread slices since they only had the Ener-G rolls. I was surprised that they had FFL. According to the latest gluten free list from Special Diets, some type of Ener-G bun (hot dog, dinner roll, etc) can be found at the following locations. AK: Flame Tree BBQ AK: Tusker House FW: Mickey's Back Yard BBQ FW: Hoop Dee Doo Review FW: Trail's End GF: Citrico's OKW: Olivia's Cafe Pop: food court POFQ: food court POR: food court SSR: food court SSR: Turf Club Epcot: Akershus Epcot: Biergarten Epcot: Coral Reef Epcot: LeCellier Epcot: Liberty Inn MK: Be Our Guest MK: Tony's Town Square

Wow, thanks! Ener-G is my only safe bread option so personally, I am glad to see that that have made a "come back"'of sorts. Thanks for giving a better update of information :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter