• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lost several gift cards - now what?

disneypharm

DIS Veteran
My FIL sent 12 $50 Macy's gift cards to his 12 grandkids. DD15 received hers a few days before Christmas. We got a ripped envelope containing the $50 gift card in a plastic bag with an apology letter from the post office for the condition of the envelope. We never received the second envelope for DD13. FIL called us two days before Christmas asking about the GCs. We found out at that time that about only half of the 12 GCs got to his 12 grandkids. The other kids that got their GCs had the same ripped envelopes. Finally, right before the New Year's Eve, he went to his post office where he mailed all the letters to ask about these envelopes. They told him that there is nothing they can do!!!
Well, he can't find his Macy's receipt now. So is there anything he can do to locate these GCs or cancel them? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

My FIL sent 12 $50 Macy's gift cards to his 12 grandkids. DD15 received hers a few days before Christmas. We got a ripped envelope containing the $50 gift card in a plastic bag with an apology letter from the post office for the condition of the envelope. We never received the second envelope for DD13. FIL called us two days before Christmas asking about the GCs. We found out at that time that about only half of the 12 GCs got to his 12 grandkids. The other kids that got their GCs had the same ripped envelopes. Finally, right before the New Year's Eve, he went to his post office where he mailed all the letters to ask about these envelopes. They told him that there is nothing they can do!!!
Well, he can't find his Macy's receipt now. So is there anything he can do to locate these GCs or cancel them? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Did he use a credit card to purchase them? Sometimes dept. stores can track a purchase that way. I don't know whether they could cancel them though...

Did he use a credit card to purchase them? Sometimes dept. stores can track a purchase that way. I don't know whether they could cancel them though...

Thanks.
Not sure. I can ask him. What is the purpose of tracking them? Is it to reissue? I assumed that the postoffice will have some kind of insurance. They lost more than $300 GCs and just say sorry!! :sad2:

Regular mail probably won't have insurance, when we had our house fire right after Christmas DD was able to get her gift cards replaced only because her Grandpa had his receipt and they could track them to see that they were not used. I would have him contact Macy's and see what they tell him. Best of luck!

Regular mail probably won't have insurance, when we had our house fire right after Christmas DD was able to get her gift cards replaced only because her Grandpa had his receipt and they could track them to see that they were not used. I would have him contact Macy's and see what they tell him. Best of luck!

Thanks, so the store can replace the card with a receipt. I assume if he used his credit card, his credit card company and the store should be able to track the purchase and replace them. Hopefully, nobody took them. I think the stack of envelopes were ripped in an auto-processing machine in the post office and they couldn't deliver them. I'll let him know.

By the way, I am sorry about your house fire. Glad you could replace your DD's gift cards.

I would have him go to the macys store where he purchased the gift cards. He needs to know the date and the register that they were rung upon to make this as easy as possible. He also needs the gift card numbers from the kids who received their cards. If he has his receipt it would be ideal. If he used a credit card see if they can get a duplicate copy. If he paid via a macys he can print his receipt online.

He will want to talk to a manager not a supervisor. They will need to do some research. It could take a few days.

If that is not successful write a letter to macys in NYC. Attention Lundrgens office and ask for help explaining what has already been done.

The post office sucks!

Thanks.
Not sure. I can ask him. What is the purpose of tracking them? Is it to reissue? I assumed that the postoffice will have some kind of insurance. They lost more than $300 GCs and just say sorry!! :sad2:

Just a thought-even if he cannot find the receipt-would Macys be able to look up the entire purchase based off of a couple of GC numbers that actually did get received? It might be worth asking!

I would have him go to the macys store where he purchased the gift cards. He needs to know the date and the register that they were rung upon to make this as easy as possible. He also needs the gift card numbers from the kids who received their cards. If he has his receipt it would be ideal. If he used a credit card see if they can get a duplicate copy. If he paid via a macys he can print his receipt online.

He will want to talk to a manager not a supervisor. They will need to do some research. It could take a few days.

If that is not successful write a letter to macys in NYC. Attention Lundrgens office and ask for help explaining what has already been done.

The post office sucks!

Thank you. This is very helpful. I will give all this information to him tomorrow. Hopefully, he can get them replaced. He is such a great grandpa! He told all the grandkids that they will get new GCs soon. I hate for him to spend anymore money.

Just a thought-even if he cannot find the receipt-would Macys be able to look up the entire purchase based off of a couple of GC numbers that actually did get received? It might be worth asking!

Thanks. I just told DH that FIL should try that. All the kids and grandkids live in different states, so it has been a headache for him to try to find out what happened!

Omg. I read the title to this thread and suddenly remembered two $50 Disney gift cards I purchased online from Target and am 99% sure got thrown out with Christmas wrapping paper garbage. I will have to call Target in the morning to see if they can be replaced. I don't know when I would have remembered if not for this thread! We leave in 6 weeks and I've just been so crazy with the holidays. :(

I had a similar experience in that I lost $200 disney gc purchased at Kroger. I had no receipt, nothing. With my credit card alone, Kroger was able to trace back transactions and reload a new gc for me.

Best of luck!

Such a shame, hope everything works out. I know it may not as personal, but he could send e gift cards next time to avoid dealing with the post office's incompetence.

The only way the post office will take responibility is if he bought insurance when he mailed then from the post office.

With a receipt Macy's can reissue them if they have not already been used by someone else.

Tell him to mail GC in a padded shipping envelope the next time.

Do any credit cards still have purchase protection for recent purchases that are lost/stolen?

The only way the post office will take responibility is if he bought insurance when he mailed then from the post office.

With a receipt Macy's can reissue them if they have not already been used by someone else.

Tell him to mail GC in a padded shipping envelope the next time.

I was in the post office yesterday when someone purchased the insurance and the clerk specifically asked if there were GCs inside as the insurance will NOT cover those &to save your money. I found this surprising. I would act quickly with Macy's: TBH, IF I was a crook stealing GCS out of the ail, you bet I would use them almost instantaneously.

It is sad, but unfortunately I think you are SOL. The insurance will not take responsibility without insurance (not sure they would with insurance) and usually retailers treat GC as cash and will not reissue. In fact most GCs say that in the fine print. It doesn't hurt to check though. He may get lucky.

I'd have to think if some were going to "steal" a gift card, it's been long spent by now.

Maybe it's just me but I find it suspicious that so many of the grandkid's gift cards were torn open and missing all mailed from the same post office. To me it sounds like someone was feeling the mail for cards. :(

I have mailed gift cards, CD's etc & my kids have received them and never had an issue.

I agree with the pp who said to send e-gift cards.

Maybe it's just me but I find it suspicious that so many of the grandkid's gift cards were torn open and missing all mailed from the same post office. To me it sounds like someone was feeling the mail for cards. :(

I have mailed gift cards, CD's etc & my kids have received them and never had an issue.

I agree with the pp who said to send e-gift cards.

I agree, it sounds suspicious and since the grandkids all live in different states, it sounds like something fishy going on at the local post office FIL uses. He should talk to the main postmaster there.

We had an envelope delivered that was ripped open & the gift card stolen. It was insured & the post office did reimburse us.

Last year I sent a gift card out & got insurance. It ended up costing me so much extra. I would just rather send a check in the mail.

I heard that stealing gift cards from envelopes is common

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter