Leonard's Waikiki questions

cgattis

DIS Veteran
Two questions:

First, is there an on/off ramp both eastbound and westbound from the H1 right there at the exit close to Leonard's?

And second, are there certain times of day where it's a nightmare getting on/off there in either direction?

Thinking of stopping there on our way to Waikiki from the airport around 3:00pm and/or on our way to Hanauma Bay from Waikiki around 7:00am. Advice appreciated!!

yes, google will take you there. The issue isn't the off/on ramps... the issue is the parking lot. Very small. Also, crowds can be very big. Both times you picked are pretty good. You may look into Champion Malasadas. A little less know but where the locals go (like me)

have fun

I would allow your self a little extra time (just like 10-15 mins) if you are going to stop at Leonards on your way to Hanauma because once the parking lot fills they will close it until it empties a bit. We have had that happen to us when coming from Ko olina and getting stuck in traffic. Obviously you have done your homework and you know to leave early but 7 is about as late as I would leave it. Just give yourself a few extra minutes....

Many of the exits on H1 aren't lined up, so don't expect to get on and off at the same place like on newer mainland highways. Remember, Honolulu is a big city and exits have been added and taken away randomly. Expect to drive city streets after you exit. Knowing that will save you a headache. In this case, you're getting on and off roughly in the same area, but you're also driving some back roads to get there. Use the GPS, or look at a map first and you'll be ok.

at 3 (on a weekday?) from the airport you'll start to see a little backup where H1 and 201 merge at Middle St and then it will stay heavy traffic to Punahou. Another 30 min to an hour and it will be at a crawl from the airport to Punahou until well after 6 or 7. It does just open right up after punahou, so if you can stand it, it's not terrible.

Many of the exits on H1 aren't lined up, so don't expect to get on and off at the same place like on newer mainland highways. Remember, Honolulu is a big city and exits have been added and taken away randomly. Expect to drive city streets after you exit. Knowing that will save you a headache. In this case, you're getting on and off roughly in the same area, but you're also driving some back roads to get there. Use the GPS, or look at a map first and you'll be ok.

at 3 (on a weekday?) from the airport you'll start to see a little backup where H1 and 201 merge at Middle St and then it will stay heavy traffic to Punahou. Another 30 min to an hour and it will be at a crawl from the airport to Punahou until well after 6 or 7. It does just open right up after punahou, so if you can stand it, it's not terrible.
Ugh......I really hadn't thought about leaving the airport at rush hour (yes, a weekday)--not that I had that many choices of flights. Guess I'll be happy enough to be OFF an airplane that I won't care!

Yeah, that's why I asked about the exits. Been bit on that other places! Thanks for the great info!!

I would allow your self a little extra time (just like 10-15 mins) if you are going to stop at Leonards on your way to Hanauma because once the parking lot fills they will close it until it empties a bit. We have had that happen to us when coming from Ko olina and getting stuck in traffic. Obviously you have done your homework and you know to leave early but 7 is about as late as I would leave it. Just give yourself a few extra minutes....
Do you know if they do the same at the Diamond Head area? Or is there more room there for parking? I can't be both places "first."

The big parking lot for the Safeway/strip mall is always open if the Leonard's lot is full. They are only 500 feet away from each other.

Another suggestion about driving anywhere on the island, but especially the Waikiki area: Waze. Good for routing you the best way to avoid the worst of traffic. Unfortunately some times the only way to get there is through traffic. Kind of like most mainland cities.

Do you know if they do the same at the Diamond Head area? Or is there more room there for parking? I can't be both places "first."
I'd go to diamond head first. Get your hike done while it's still cooler. All the people that get to Hanauma Bay at 7-3:30 are leaving by 11-12. I've never had issues getting parking later in the day. Ever.

I'd go to diamond head first. Get your hike done while it's still cooler. All the people that get to Hanauma Bay at 7-3:30 are leaving by 11-12. I've never had issues getting parking later in the day. Ever.
Hm. Well that was my original plan. But my buddy at work who's been about ten times told me he'd do the opposite so the Bay wouldn't be so crowded. We're from the south (and he's a big guy), so he said the heat had never been an issue for him at Diamond Head. I'd rather snorkel last so we can hopefully see the blowhole at high tide after, so I may just go with your plan instead.

That is my plan also.. go to diamond head first, then snorkel at hanauma bay after. Depends on how long kids want to snorkel, I am also thinking about checking out the lighthouse. After all that fun, stop by to get some yummy donuts.

Literally every time I've been to Hanauma bay I've gone in the afternoon. Or nearer to lunch. To me it always feels like far more people leaving than coming. Face it, it's always crowded there though. But if I had my pick, I'd do diamond head first, then you'll get to swim after. (have you looked at tide charts already? I never check them here any more since I don't notice much difference in tides - used to live by them in maine where the tide goes in and out hundreds of feet)

We saw the Leonard's in Waikiki but did not want to contend with the parking lot. We stopped at the mobile Leonard's truck in the Waikele Shopping Center in Waipahu, which is on the way to and from Aulani. Right off the exit, ample parking, and no line both times we went. It was much more convenient, but I guess you'd miss the authenticity of seeing the actual location.

Literally every time I've been to Hanauma bay I've gone in the afternoon. Or nearer to lunch. To me it always feels like far more people leaving than coming. Face it, it's always crowded there though. But if I had my pick, I'd do diamond head first, then you'll get to swim after. (have you looked at tide charts already? I never check them here any more since I don't notice much difference in tides - used to live by them in maine where the tide goes in and out hundreds of feet)
I have, and the moon charts too LOL. High tide is late afternoon, so that actually works well.

We saw the Leonard's in Waikiki but did not want to contend with the parking lot. We stopped at the mobile Leonard's truck in the Waikele Shopping Center in Waipahu, which is on the way to and from Aulani. Right off the exit, ample parking, and no line both times we went. It was much more convenient, but I guess you'd miss the authenticity of seeing the actual location.
Hey now....so you're saying I will have the actual store right at my Waikiki hotel exit and the truck right at the Aulani exit. I may need more elastic-waist shorts on my shopping list......... :)

The truck is little ways before Aulani, but I think nkereina meant that the truck is right off the exit, which is on the way to Aulani. But certainly not out of the way. ;)

The truck is little ways before Aulani, but I think nkereina meant that the truck is right off the exit, which is on the way to Aulani. But certainly not out of the way. ;)

Yes exactly! Sorry for the confusion. But you will see the Leonard's truck from the highway, so you'll know which exit it is!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter