Last Minute June 2022 Trip

The full ETwB isn't running, but she is now meeting there in her blue dress. So, you have choices as to where you want to fit in a Belle meet.
That is so good to know! I do love the yellow dress, but we've never met Belle in her blue dress before, so that could be fun.

Topolino's + Where Will We Stay?

I was planning to skip Topolino's this trip. We didn't get a reservation at 60 days, it's impossible to get, sounds expensive, and my girls previously didn't care as much about the Mickey/Minnie characters. But then a good friend was telling us how amazing the experience was, I have been reading the fabulous reviews, and my girls announced that they very much would like to see Mickey in his painter's outfit. Our friends also told us that you can order as much as you want from the menu, and I've seen that verified in other reports. Add in their description of the Riviera, and we were sold.

The only problem was, we didn't have a reservation. I put out a request on a FB group just to see if we could snag one and got lucky just a couple of days later with someone offering the reservation for the day and time we needed! I excitedly texted my parents to tell them I had gotten the reservation for our last day of the trip, the Friday we were going to be leaving to drive home... and my mom's response was, I thought we were leaving the day before that?

What? Well, it turns out we had a little miscommunication (my fault!) and I thought we were checking out of our second resort on a Friday when the reservation actually only goes through Thursday. The same Thursday I had already taken off work and booked our Epcot day (and ADR) for. Oops! I panicked for a moment then told my husband and parents that we needed to book another hotel for that Thursday evening since we would need a place to stay after Epcot (and now had a dining reservation the next morning).

And then, as typically happens with me, my mind started wandering... if we were going to move to a new hotel for one night, why not stay two nights to make it worth it? We could drive home Saturday & Sunday rather than Friday & Saturday as we originally planned. Sure, we won't have a day of rest at the end, but it will be worth it. And if we need a place to stay the day we're going to Epcot, we should stay at a resort near Epcot, right?

I immediately texted our travel agent (who is also a close friend and the one who told us about Topolino's) that we needed a Disney hotel for 2 nights near Epcot. I was initially discouraged with the room prices of $550/night (we need 2 room), but then she told us we could book the Dolphin for under $300/night and we were sold. My husband's family stayed at the Dolphin twice when he was a child, so it has a nostalgia factor for him to be able to take his children there, I've never been, the pool looks nice and we can take a boat from the resort to Epcot. We were also able to confirm connecting rooms. I'm really excited now!

We can take the boat to Epcot, then Skyliner to the Riviera for our breakfast reservation on Friday. I'm thinking we'll spend Friday afternoon at the pool (this will be the end of a very long trip) and if we're up for it, maybe head to the Boardwalk for dinner and drinks (I've wanted to check out the Abracadabar for awhile now), and watch fireworks from there. Is there quick service in this area we should consider? I'm thinking maybe the pizza place on the Boardwalk but open to other suggestions.

On Saturday I'm hoping we can get in a little pool time, maybe one or two of us will go to the Boardwalk Bakery to pick up some treats to bring back, and we can hang out until close to check-out at 11am (or later if we can get a later check-out). We're planning on driving about 7 hours back home that day, so we'll want to be on the road by about 12:30pm anyway.

We're now looking at a 16 day trip, spread across 5 hotels/resorts (if you count the hotels to and from Orlando), with 5 work days, 4 park days and 9 ADRs.

That’s great news!
I love the Boardwalk area and I really want to try the Swan and Dolphin at some point (saving some Marriott points for a visit some day!)
We loooooved Topolino’s when we went two years ago, so much that we went back with my sisters family in February - it was their first glimpse of Disney at the beginning of the trip (we were lucky enough to get a last minute reservation too!) and they were sold! You will love it and your girls will too!
Plus going there with the skyliner is an added bonus! Maybe the girls would enjoy a visit to AoA after a brief skyliner ride if it’s not too warm?
Enjoy your trip, it’s coming soon!!! 😊

That’s great news!
I love the Boardwalk area and I really want to try the Swan and Dolphin at some point (saving some Marriott points for a visit some day!)
We loooooved Topolino’s when we went two years ago, so much that we went back with my sisters family in February - it was their first glimpse of Disney at the beginning of the trip (we were lucky enough to get a last minute reservation too!) and they were sold! You will love it and your girls will too!
Plus going there with the skyliner is an added bonus! Maybe the girls would enjoy a visit to AoA after a brief skyliner ride if it’s not too warm?
Enjoy your trip, it’s coming soon!!! 😊

Thank you!! I didn't realize they were Marriott properties, wonder if we can earn points for staying there. I'm glad to hear Topolino's was such a hit! Such a great idea to head to AoA after that, I've always wanted to go check it out and think the girls are the perfect age to enjoy walking around there. I will add that to our list!

Thank You, Dining Alerts!

Thanks to dining alerts (didn't realize disboards would block the name of the service I used), I now have every reservation I was chasing! It was a struggle to try to book 1 day at a time for 2 weeks. In hindsight, I wish I had slept in and just relied on dining alerts and FB to find what I needed for our off-site stay.

I just happened across a dinner reservation for Yak & Yeti a couple of nights ago and received my final dining alert during work today - Homecomin' for 6 on one of the nights we still had open! I had previously snagged one reservation for 4 and another for 3, 30 minutes apart from each other on the same night that this one opened up. I was planning to show up early and ask if we could all be sat together, but knew it was not a sure thing. Getting a reservation for 6 was such a relief! And hopefully I made someone else's day by dropping the other two reservations I had. Our reservations now include:
  • Chef Art Smith's Homecomin' (dinner)
  • Jaleo (dinner)
  • Story Book Dining at Artist Point with Snow White (dinner)
  • Jiko (dinner)
  • Liberty Tree Tavern (dinner)
  • Yak & Yeti (dinner)
  • Chefs de France (dinner) - will switch to Le Cellier if it becomes available
  • Steakhouse 71 (lunch)
  • Be Our Guest (lunch)
  • Topolino's (breakfast)
  • Trattoria al Forno (breakfast) - if they don't bring back characters by our trip, may switch this to Boma or Kona instead
Trying not to think about how much weight I will gain during this trip, but it will be worth it!

Magic Kingdom

This is one of the hardest days for me to plan because there is just no way for us to see everything we want to see in one day. On previous trips we’ve always had at least 2 days at MK (sometimes 3), so we could fit everything in. This means we’ll need to really narrow down our list of what is most important to us.

It’s also difficult because I keep changing my mind as to which ride(s) to rope drop and which to try for LL first. Advice is welcome!

Coffee: Need to pick some up before we head into the park, no time when we’re heading straight to the rides! Worst case we could pick up some coffee at the TTC and take it with us on the boat or monorail, and sip until we get to the rides. Also planning to either eat breakfast before we leave or pack some granola bars to take with us this day.

7am LL: Jungle Cruise

ILL: Seven Dwarfs Mine Train

Rope Drop: Big Thunder Mountain or Pirates, whichever has a shorter line

Hoping to ride both pretty quickly if that works out, and maybe Magic Carpet rides as that is the top ride the girls have requested at MK, or we could hit that whenever we come back for Jungle Cruise.

LL Priorities
  • Jungle Cruise (#1)
  • Peter Pan (#2)
  • Big Thunder Mountain / Haunted Mansion / Pirates
  • Space Mountain – Pretty sure I’m the only one in my family who will ride this, but it’s my favorite ride at MK and I would be sad to skip it
After we’ve gotten these big 5-6, either via LL or rope drop, my plan is to look for LLs that are near where we are physically and close in time, but I’m really not sure what to expect here. I have a feeling we will do more running back and forth than normal.

Lunch: Be Our Guest

Afternoon Break: TBD – I think we’ll need an A/C and drink/snack break but not sure where we’ll land

Dinner: Liberty Tree Tavern. I wanted Jungle Navigation but the time slot we got was too close to the fireworks. I originally had an alert for an earlier Jungle Navigation reservation because my parents have never eaten there and I think my dad would love the puns. But, the food there hasn’t been consistent for us and we had a really nice meal at LTT back in 2017, so I’m thinking we might give it another try and forget about Jungle Navigation. I see they now offer a vegetarian meatloaf which I’m interested in trying and I would love another Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake, one of my favorite desserts in all of WDW.

Must Dos
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train – only if we can get an ILL
Jungle Cruise
Peter Pan
Big Thunder Mountain
Space Mountain
Mad Tea Party – everyone else will ride while I ride Space Mountain
Pirates
Haunted Mansion
It’s a Small World
Dumbo
Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Meet Mickey in Town Square Theater
Buzz Lightyear’s Space Ranger Spin
Under the Sea
Meet Ariel at her Grotto
Hall of Presidents – has surprisingly been a hit with the girls each year and there’s A/C!
Mickey’s PhilharMagic – not normally a must-do but I want to see the update
Disney Enchantment

Do you think we can hit all our must dos in one day? We’ll have from 9am to 10pm.

Nice To Dos
Gaston – if he’s meeting again
Tiki Room – love the classic song but okay to skip, though the girls did ask for this one
Meet the Princesses – I think the girls will want to do this, but will only see them if line is short or we get a convenient LL
Carrousel – it’s a classic but if we have to skip something, this is it
Monster’s Inc Laugh Floor – actually a “must” for me but not for the rest of my family so okay to skip if we need to
Meet Tinker Bell
Enchanted Tales with Belle – not sure it will be back yet, but even if it is, may skip due to the time requirement
Barnstormer – girls say they don’t want to ride this so won’t push it unless they’re interested while we’re there
WDW Railroad – not likely to be open anyway
PeopleMover
Carousel of Progress
Winnie the Pooh – unless there’s a short line or LL that makes sense, this one isn’t worth the wait to us

What are we skipping?
  • Astro Orbiter – never been on it, no need to start this trip
  • Country Bear Jamboree – always cute but not a must-do when we just have one day
  • Splash Mountain – I love this one but don’t love getting wet and the girls won’t ride it
  • Tomorrowland Speedway – we’ve still never done this one
  • Riverboat/Tom Sawyer Island

Outfits & More Meal Planning

I must have been living under a rock because I decided to check out the Be Our Guest lunch menu and was shocked to see that it's a fixed price menu even at lunch! Only $62/adult and $37/kid. As a vegetarian, I would be paying $62 for a salad followed by another plate of vegetables. I realize you're paying for the castle experience, but we just can't justify a $400+ lunch (with taxes and tip). We've eaten there twice before, have met the Beast (both girls were terrified), so just can't do it.

I'm thinking about keeping the reservation for now just in case they switch back to a more normal menu before our trip, but otherwise will drop. I think we'll do Casey's Corner or Columbia Harbor House for quick service lunch instead. Having no lunch reservation will give us more flexibility with LLs anyway.

I finally finished our outfit planning for this trip. We're going much more simple this time, with only one outfit for each of us per day. On our past trips I had multiple outfit changes (sometimes up to 4 outfits per day) and while it was fun and made for great pictures, this trip will focus more on experience and a little less on chasing characters. The girls are actually asking to have outfit changes though! We'll see, but going to try to stick to the one per day. Since I'm planning more last minute this time, I had to stick with items that were ready to ship vs. some of the custom items I ordered in the past.

Here's what we're planning / have ordered:

Snow White Dinner at Artist Point: Matching Snow White dresses and we'll wear the same shirts we wore last time
1652144171440.png

Epcot: I was on the fence with the dresses but the girls loved these and we'll spend a lot of time in the World Showcase this day. I'm wearing my World Traveler shirt from last year and ordered Pat a new "Snacking Around the World" shirt
1652144255408.png

Animal Kingdom: This day might be my favorite. I ordered new shirts for me and Pat
1652144352529.png

Hollywood Studios: While I was tempted to get something Star Wars this year, I ended up sticking with Toy Story. We can wear our tshirts from last year and I got the girls new dresses
1652144491938.png

Magic Kingdom: I wasn't loving options for this day, but I picked out 4 possibilities and let the girls pick their favorite. The rest of us will wear our shirts from last year (hopefully my parents know where theirs are!)
1652144541094.png
I also bought a few Disney t-shirts from Target and may get a few more items that they can wear on other days. I'd love to find something special for Topolino's but haven't found anything I love (for a reasonable price) just yet.

Love the outfits! My girls have the same Toy Story dresses. They picked Woody, Jessie, and Buzz.

I'm thinking about keeping the reservation for now just in case they switch back to a more normal menu before our trip, but otherwise will drop.

They just added in earlier hours and they made the "brunch" menu still super expensive fixed price only. My guess is that the days of a BoG quick service are officially behind us :-(

Love the outfits! My girls have the same Toy Story dresses. They picked Woody, Jessie, and Buzz.
They are great options! I love that they're light and comfortable for the summer.
They just added in earlier hours and they made the "brunch" menu still super expensive fixed price only. My guess is that the days of a BoG quick service are officially behind us :-(
That is not a good sign for us :( I think you're probably right, it's disappointing but I just can't justify the price for lunch, especially when we've eaten there before.

Hollywood Studios

I have no idea if or how we will fit everything in here. I love the thrill rides in this park, but also don’t want to spend much of our day away from my parents and the girls who will not ride them.

Coffee: At our hotel before we go

7am LL: Slinky Dog Dash

ILL: Rise of the Resistance

Rope Drop: Toy Story Mania; there are only a few rides our whole family will ride here so I’d like to start the day with one of them. We can check out the line for Aliens right after this.

LL Priorities
  • Slinky Dog Dash (#1)
  • Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway
  • Smuggler’s Run
  • Tower of Terror
  • Toy Story Mania
  • Alien Swirling Saucers
This day is tough for me to plan. I’m tentatively thinking we’ll start with Toy Story Mania and Aliens, then let LL guide us for the day.

Lunch: Woody’s Lunch Box – I love the vegetarian totchos!

Afternoon Break: Baseline Taphouse – between the pretzel, lemonade and beer options (the flight with 4 beers sounds good!), I’m hoping this will be a less crowded option for us to sit for a bit. It’s also close to Star Tours, so those who want to ride that could go while the rest hang out at Baseline.

Dinner: Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo

Must Dos
Slinky Dog Dash
Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway
Tower of Terror
Muppet Vision (must do for my dad – my parents will take the girls while we ride ToT)
Frozen Sing-Along
Toy Story Mania
Aliens
Star Tours
Smuggler’s Run
Rise of the Resistance
Fantasmic – if it is back, which is not looking likely

Nice To Dos
  • Rock n’ Roller Coaster – Pat and I love this one but the rest of our party won’t ride, so unless there’s a short line / LL and we get a break in our day, we’ll prioritize Tower of Terror as our one alone ride for the day.
  • Beauty and the Beast Show – I love this show, but it’s not an absolute must-do compared to other things on our list this day
  • Disney Junior Play and Dance – my parents took the girls on our last trip and said they enjoyed it, would be cute to see
  • Indiana Jones – this show scared our older daughter on our first trip, I would love to see it again if we have time to fit it in
  • Meeting Olaf and Disney junior Characters
What are we skipping?
  • Cars show – saw it once before, and the girls haven’t asked for this one
  • Little Mermaid Show – always fun to see when we have time, but I don’t think we’ll have time this trip
What would you change?

We're on the few week countdown to our trip! I spent this weekend trying to make sure I've ordered everything we might possibly need for the trip. I ordered a rain cover for our double stroller, rain ponchos, activity books for the car ride and waiting in lines, and a new handheld fan for hot weather. I also ordered the girls life vests as they've outgrown the toddler floaties we had, and thanks in part to Covid, we had pulled them out of swim lessons for a long time and I'm a little nervous about water safety since it's been so long. I feel like I'm forgetting other things we will probably need!

I also finally started a trip report for a mini getaway Pat and I took to Orlando back in April. We went without the kids to attend a wedding and added on a day at Universal and some fun at City Walk while we were there. You can read my mini trip report here.

I'm also finalizing our plans since Disney just announced early opening times on some of our days. I continue to make changes to our dining reservations too. This is where we've landed for now:

Dinners at Homecomin', Jaleo, Storybook Dining, Jiko, Liberty Tree Tavern, Yak & Yeti and Chefs de France.

Lunch at Steakhouse 71 on a non-park day.

Breakfast at Topolino's and Boma. I have kept Trattoria just in case the characters were brought back, but it's not looking like that will happen before our trip at this point, and we've never had breakfast at Boma before, so I'm likely going to cancel Trattoria in the next few days.

I really wanted to add a breakfast day at Kona but I don't think that will happen. We debated a brunch our first day in Orlando but I'm leaning more toward letting everyone sleep in and going to hang out at the pool when we're ready vs. trying to get ourselves together to make it to a reservation on time. Every other day is either a park day with plans or Pat and I have to work. We could maybe get by with breakfast on a work day, but work has been crazy for us both and I'd rather start early / sign off early (maybe wishful thinking) so we can enjoy our evenings.

I can't wait to be on our way!

I'm so bummed about Trattoria. That was such a great character meal: low(er) price (by Disney standards), two unique characters, excellent food. I really want that one back!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter