Last Min Viva Italia Quetions

figmentfan2009

Mouseketeer
We found that you are supposed to take "long sleeved shirts or shawls" for use in the cathedrals...

Long sleeved... in July... doesn't sound like a lot of fun... do we need long sleeves or do we need reasonably long short sleeves (t-shirt sleeves or short sleeved dress shirt sleeves) for the cathedral day(s)?

We found that you are supposed to take "long sleeved shirts or shawls" for use in the cathedrals...

Long sleeved... in July... doesn't sound like a lot of fun... do we need long sleeves or do we need reasonably long short sleeves (t-shirt sleeves or short sleeved dress shirt sleeves) for the cathedral day(s)?
For all the cathedrals we went in, you just needed your shoulders covered (and your knees). Short sleeves were fine. Who said "long sleeved?" That's the first I'd heard of that.

Sayhello

DH found it somewhere... not sure where... he saw it and got paranoid that all teh packing of the last 3 weeks has to be reconsidered....

not that he is excited or worried or anything

I've booked countless people on trips to Italy on AbD, Tauck, Trafalgar, and with a fabulous private tour company that creates custom trips. This is the first time I've ever heard of having to wear long sleeves! Maybe it's one of those "lost in translation" situations. (I married a Lebanese man -- he could do standup comedy with all the ways that he misinterpreted the English language.) ;)

I just pulled up a set of documents from the custom tour company, and this is what they have under "Etiquette" for Italy:

• Do not wear shorts, short skirts or spaghetti strap/strapless tops and sundresses while visiting churches.
• Do not intrude or cause any sort of disturbance while church services are in progress.
• Many churches, museums and art gallery’s forbid the use of flash photography and often ban the use of the camera altogether. Always ask politely at the entrance or to the museum or church guard if you can use your camera.
• Since 2005, it is strictly forbidden to smoke in restaurants, offices, bars and most public places. Some restaurants may have a separate smoking section, always ask first.
• Topless sunbathing is tolerated on non-family and out of the way beaches only.
• Bargaining is not appropriate in shops. Bargaining can be practiced at outdoor markets (with the exception food markets).

I know that theirs isn't the final word on the subject, but this is their business. On the many trips I've taken to Italy and other parts of Europe, I always wore short sleeves (not sleeveless) into every church/cathedral.

I don't think you'll have to repack! :)

Dotti

Definitely didn't have to wear long sleeves on the Viva Italia trip. Covered shoulders and covered knees are the only requirements. No photography in the Sistine Chapel or in St. Mark's Cathedral in Venice. In fact, you cannot take your backpack in St. Mark's either. Everywhere else is fine! Relax! You are going to enjoy your trip so much. If there is anything that you need while you are there, the guides will help you find it!

Last international flight we did was somewhat... lacking... in beverages (water, tea, coffee, pop... ) I know I can't take full water bottles through security... but I have a really cool smallish stainless steel water bottle...

If I have the lid off and I have it completely dried out before we leave... does anyone know if that would make it through security or would they confiscate it? I really hate having to buy water before I get on the plane if I don't have to and I don't have a problem with the local water from the fountains at the airport where I could fill it after going through security.

I know it is a goofy question... but I also know that we have multiple doses of meds that have to be taken in flight and I want to be sure that I can and I'm kind of a type A with the whole planning thing (can you tell?).

Thanks
:hippie:

Last international flight we did was somewhat... lacking... in beverages (water, tea, coffee, pop... ) I know I can't take full water bottles through security... but I have a really cool smallish stainless steel water bottle...

If I have the lid off and I have it completely dried out before we leave... does anyone know if that would make it through security or would they confiscate it? I really hate having to buy water before I get on the plane if I don't have to and I don't have a problem with the local water from the fountains at the airport where I could fill it after going through security.

I know it is a goofy question... but I also know that we have multiple doses of meds that have to be taken in flight and I want to be sure that I can and I'm kind of a type A with the whole planning thing (can you tell?).

Thanks
I had a cheap plastic water bottle. They were fine with it as long as it was empty. One leg, I forgot to empty it, and they made me dump it out. But they let me take it. It's the liquid, not the container that they're worried about. Honestly, many times I've just got a regular bottle that bottled water comes in, and as long as it's empty, they don't seem to care.

(Actually, in Israel, they just made me drink out of it... there you go!)

I dehydrate easily, as well as having meds I have to take, so I always take something I can fill up at the water fountain. No way I'm relying on them to give me enough water.

Sayhello

Sayhello is correct, it's the liquid, not the container. Additionally, our flight to Europe had plenty of beverages, especially the flight to Europe since most people were trying to get some zzzzz's.

DH was trying to bribe the kids to ask for extra drinks because they came through TWICE the entire trip from germany and once was for meal service...

DH was trying to bribe the kids to ask for extra drinks because they came through TWICE the entire trip from germany and once was for meal service...
I just walk up to the galley and ask for whatever drink I want. Just because they're not serving off the cart doesn't mean you can't go ask for a drink. :confused3

Sayhello

Thanks

My son took his stainless steel water bottle through security on our trip to/from California a few weeks ago and it wasn't a problem. On the way down he had it hanging on the outside of his backpack and on the way back it was inside. They didn't even check to see if there was anything in it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter