Laptop protection

Disneyluvr

DIS Veteran
Help, I need recommendations for the best, most economical virus, malware etc protection for my new laptop. I really don't know much about these things. I've only ever used my work laptop and the IT guy took care of everything, haha. Thanks for any help you can give!

Thoughts....
  • if I can't afford virus protection.... I just use the one that comes with Windows as a minimum.
  • Love Norton multi device... especially when on sale for Black Friday. With multi device, I split the cost with my computer, laptop, and mobile devices. In addition to malware protection... there's a software firewall. Wow... love the 10 device price on Amazon now.
    https://www.amazon.com/Norton-Security-Premium-Devices-Card/dp/B0144NYEY6/
  • If you use a lot of public wifi.... also consider a VPN
  • have you considered an external hard drive to backup your pictures and important documents. Hate to get ransom ware.

Have you checked with your ISP? I get Norton for free from Comcast. I know that Fios and RCN in this area provide McAfee for free.

I have used Norton, McAfee and AVG (free) over the years. I personally prefer Norton.
AVG free was fine for a while but I did end up getting malware, and removing it was a major headache.

If you are going to invest in computer security get a real firewall that sits between your router and your network. That is where you want to stop malware. Once it is at your endpoint it is too late. Even the best anti-virus can't ensure that any malware that gets to your machine is really removed. I prefer Ubiquiti or the free version of Sophos if you have a spare chasis lying around with two NICs in it.

I just run Windows Defender at home and run some utilities monthly but the real security is at the edge, not endpoint. And for the love of God if you are installing any IoT devices set up a separate VLAN and segregate your traffic. If you can't do this yourself hire someone to do it for you.

We have Bitdefender and can use it on several devices. We have had it for many years and have not had and issues.

I use malware byte. I Lao have norton. Why both? I have a dell and paid for support. If something is wrong they will, with your permission, take over your computer and fix it. If the problem is hard ware they will tell you and it is up to you to have it fixed.

The computer was slowing down badly and had to reload windows ( dell helped with this). Norton was not picking up all malware. I got the paid version of malware byte. It has been catching malware big time BEFORE IT GETS TO THE COMPUTER. The paid version catches malware before it gets into the computer. Periodically it also does a scan.The computer is a speed demon now.

Norton comes pre-installed with my device but I don't like Norton for the fact it annoys you with lots of popups every now and then. Tried multiple antivirus and found Avira quite fast you can always compare using comparisons like Avira vs Avast based on your system and usage.

Windows Defender is free and does a pretty good job catching most things. I would sprinkle Malwarebytes scans in periodically (maybe once a month?) in case you get any spyware or adware Windows Defender doesn't catch.

Since this is a laptop, I imagine you will be connecting to WiFi hotspots that are public and can be used by anyone. Do yourself a favor and invest in a VPN. Don't use a free one, use something like Private Internet Access or NordVPN. A VPN allows for an encrypted connection between your computer and its destination, protecting your data such as passwords, credit card numbers, even your emails so no one can snoop on your activity in public.

Finally, get a password manager. A password manager not only stores all of your passwords, but can automatically fill them in for you on websites so you can use complex, secure passwords like KjLd~SA99021jvlf! without worrying about remembering them (I know I couldn't!).

At the end of the day, you are going to have to end up paying for protection for your laptop, but it's the same as investing in a home security system with monthly monitoring fees, or cable. With so much of our data being stored electronically, it is on us to make sure we protect our personal information as best we can.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter