Lancaster PA has anyone ever stayed there or been there. Is it safe?

Lancaster is beautiful, I have never had any issues. My BIL worked on a job there for about 6 months and never had issues either.

Do you mean staying in the tourist/Amish area or are you staying in the downtown Lancaster area?

We love Lancaster is absolutely gorgeous plus you are only a short trip to Hershey so you could plan a day trip and do all the activities that Hershey has to offer

Just a cute little Amish town, from what I recall. My mom and I stayed there for a weekend while visiting the Pennsylvania Renaissance Festival and didn't have any problems. Very pretty area.

You'll be fine. It's a very safe place. Take normal precautions--lock your car doors, lock your hotel room. If you want any suggestions for restaurants, let me know.

Just a cute little Amish town, from what I recall. My mom and I stayed there for a weekend while visiting the Pennsylvania Renaissance Festival and didn't have any problems. Very pretty area.

It's a small city. I don't believe many Amish actually live in Lancaster, but outside in more rural areas in the county. Supposedly the largest ethic group in the city is Puerto Ricans.

We love the Lancaster area , in fact we were there last weekend and seeing this thread reminded me to make our reservations for April. There are
so many things to do that we always find something new to enjoy every trip, we usually take "mini vacations" there about 3-4 times a year.

OP if you are interested in shows the 2016 Christmas show at the American Music Theater is excellent, we always enjoy the Christmas show but this years seemed even better than previous years and those years have been excellent.

Did you read something that makes you think it isn't a safe place? It's the heart of Amish country. There is some drug issues but there are drug issues in our affluent community. Sadly I imagine most communities have a drug issue. It won't impact your visit. Like someone above said, just practice common sense.

Gangs?

http://www.wgal.com/article/a-look-inside-lancaster-city-s-gangs/6224643

I doubt they target tourists, but they do have gangs. Not much different than many cities.

I'm not saying that Lancaster city doesn't have gangs because I'm sure that they do, but that article is over 3.5 years old so I don't know how accurate the information still is. In all of the times that I've been in Lancaster city I have never seen any gang activity or gang members and I have been there frequently. Yes still watch where you are walking and lock your car doors, but I do that everywhere - city or not. Lancaster is a pretty small city in comparison to most cities. Pretty sure Dutch Wonderland and Hershey Park will be closed unfortunately although they are both open some before Christmas, not sure how long though. I'm not sure if you're bringing kids/kids ages, but below are some fun things to do in the area.

Fun things to do:
-American Music Theater
-Sight and Sound Theater
-Fulton Theater
-Hands On House (preschool age touch museum)
-Lancaster Science Factory (elementary age touch museum)
-antique shopping in Adamstown (20-30 min drive from the city)
-outlets on route 30 (Tanger and Rockvale)
-Dutch Apple Dinner Theater
-Laserdome
-Central Market (downtown Lancaster)
-Spooky Nook Sports Complex (right outside of Lancaster and one of the largest indoor sports complexes in North America -tons of activities for all ages)
-Kitchen Kettle Village
-There are tons of Amish tours/museums although I've never actually been on any of them

My best friend lives near Lancaster, I make several trips a year, it's a very safe area

I'm not saying that Lancaster city doesn't have gangs because I'm sure that they do, but that article is over 3.5 years old so I don't know how accurate the information still is. In all of the times that I've been in Lancaster city I have never seen any gang activity or gang members and I have been there frequently. Yes still watch where you are walking and lock your car doors, but I do that everywhere - city or not.

Any sizable city has some warts. Here's one crime rate map.

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/pa/lancaster/crime/

HersheyPark is open after Christmas. The lights are beautiful, but Santa and the reindeer are back at the North Pole. The Fulton is performing "Beauty and the Beast". It has been held over until January 7. There is also the Dutch Apple Dinner Theatre. There is shopping at the outlets (in both Lancaster and Hershey) and at the Park City Mall. Enjoy your trip!

Any sizable city has some warts. Here's one crime rate map.

https://www.neighborhoodscout.com/pa/lancaster/crime/

I agree, Lancaster city like all other cities has issues, but I wouldn't hesitate to walk there after dark and it's a pretty safe city to be in. According to that crime rate map Philadelphia is safer than Lancaster. Not sure how accurate that is having been on campus and just off campus at Temple University and having spent considerable time in both areas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter