Kona Cafe, a hidden gem

scanne said:
We ate there last summer and were treated to a special dessert by the pastry chef - KoKo Puffs!

I know they're not on the menu anymore, but maybe if you ask you can get an order.

IMG_1645.jpg
I am planning on Kona...I have heard so many wonderful things. I didn't know if I should have breakfast or dinner....or...both? I don't care if I have to pay OOP but should I go to the same place twice?

Kona cafe is a favorite of DH and I. He loves the beef teriyaki salad! We just stayed at the Poly last week and went to lunch twice. Once right after we checked in. It has gotten more popular as it was the busiest I've ever seen it.

We LOVE Kona Cafe! We had the best meal ever at Kona in August. It is the first time we had eaten there and the food and service were awesome. The mahi mahi is the best entree I have ever eaten at WDW.

Maggs

We ate there on our trip last week and loved it! At first I was disappointed because I couldn't get an Ohana reservation, but after eating at Kona I was glad I couldn't get it!! :Pinkbounc The food and service were wonderful!! I did ask about the KoKo puffs and our waitress said they only make them for special occasions like anniversaries. Told her I was on my honeymoon, but that didn't get me anywhere. lol

I found Kona in May - my mom and I had had a fairly bad day and a bad experience at another restaurant earlier. But the CMs at Kona went out of their way to show us true Disney magic :goodvibes The food was great, the service was wonderful, it was just a perfect dinner. I wrote a letter about our server when we returned home, and I got a call from her manager so I know she got it :teeth: 3 more weeks and we'll be back :Pinkbounc

We enjoyed our quiet breakfast there during our trip earlier this month. I had the famous Tonga Toast and I even ate it with *gasp* SYRUP! On the side of course. It was wonderful. I'm definitely getting that again.

This is the ADR I'm most psyched for on our next trip - breaskfast at Kona!! Macadamia Pineapple pancakes are waiting for me! :woohoo:

Our family actually prefers it over Ohanas, a little more quietier and you dont feel like you are busting your gut from overeating.

We ate at Kona for the first time just a few months ago and it was WONDERFUL!!
The food was so good and the waitress was just the best. :teeth:
She was great with the kids and very attentive all around.

I would go there again in a heart beat!! :thumbsup2

We ate there on our last trip and it is a must do everytime now. Make sure you ask for Debi as your server. She is wonderful. :cheer2:

Hi all, I would love your input please?

I'm trying to decide where to eat after my wedding at Sunset Pointe, Polynesian next November. I was looking at OHanah's but I'm not sure my guests will like the food so now I'm looking at Kona Cafe. Do you think this will be a good option as we will be in wedding attire?

It's a little on the noisy side, and the restaurant is wide open to the upper level of the building so if it gets crowded in there some of that noise can spill over into the restaurant. But then again, most restaurants at Disney are at least moderately noisy. If that doesn't bother you (just giving you a heads up in case you were looking for "intimate" dining) they seem to do well with big parties. We sat next to a pretty large group on our last trip and the servers really took care of them. The food is just . . . yum. Even plates I saw being carried past us of things I haven't tried looked mouthwatering. If it were me trying to choose between the two I'd definitely go Kona. You don't get the MK view, but the food is 1000 times better and you can always walk out to the beach in the evening after your meal to relax and gaze out over the lake to the MK . . . maybe even time it out so you're wandering out as the Electrical Light Parade makes it's way past the Poly and/or Wishes begins at the MK.

I wouldnt call it hidden anymore. The secret is out. Getting into Dinner or Breakfast if difficult most of the year.

I wouldnt suggest Ohanas for a wedding party. Lots of family's with children and the cast promotes fun games throughout the dining room. Konas is open to the lobby and can get very noisy.

Suggestions: Citricos, Flying Fish, Cal Grill, Artist Pt, Yachtsmans Steakhouse, or Narcoossees.
These restaurants have separate areas where your party could be seated together and it wont be as noisy.

I am glad to hear such great reviews of Kona. We are trying for the first time in January and are really looking forward to it.

i am also trying kona in january....

just mom and I....DD will be in neverland club :wave:

last trip she was actually upset no kids club most nights :confused3
kerri

luvmarypoppins said:
Our family actually prefers it over Ohanas, a little more quietier and you dont feel like you are busting your gut from overeating.

We ate at Kona for the first time in Sept. DH and I both loved the food and the service was very good. But I can say nothing good about the atmosphere. If the noise level was lower in Kona I can't imagine how noisy Ohana must be. We thought Kona was incredibly noisy and the tables were way too close together. It was impossible to have a quiet conversation. We weren't expecting Kona to be noisier than the food court at POP. That said we will go back on our next trip - the food was great.

:cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

okay I will admit food is good but I found ambience lousy......

seems more like a diner to me without the walls.

Is this just me???

We just ate there last week. We had had breakfast there 7 years ago I think and weren't overly impressed THEN but then again, breakfast anywhere never seems to do squat for us. But dinner THIS time was an AMAZING, experience! Honestly we loved it the most of ALL our dining during our 11 day trip. I SO wish we could have gone back there! The food we had was TOP NOTCH. Honestly, I liked it every much if not more than Jiko an Bluezoo. Sorry Bluezoo fans. There just wasn't much there for a non-seafood eater like me. I went for the hubby. He liked it very much but enjoyed Kona better. The food was still good but I wasn't favenbous about it liike I was my teriyaki filet! MMMMMMMMM! :cloud9: And that white chocolate cheescake! I wanted to go there just to see if I could get one to go it was SO GOOD! I've NEVER had a craving for cheesecake before that one!

It's a MUST do!!!!!

I just had to add this! This is a little piece of HEAVEN! And I'm not one to bother to eat cheesecake more than once every couple years but something about this, pehaps that little "fan" (which I didn't like as much as the rest of it) it had caused me to want to try it and after such a spectacular meal there, I was even MORE motivated to try something! Hubby and I REALLY should have gotten one for each of us because it was alsmot a rush to see who could eat more of it without looking like they were trying to scarf more than the other. :rotfl:

IMG_0130.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter