Kentucky Clerk Kim Davis found in contempt, going to jail

Apparently she now wants her name to be removed from an "authorization statement" which is required to be included with all marriage licences.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/jailed-kentucky-clerk-kim-davis-offers-remedy-sex/story?id=33532686

I'm not sure what exactly the "authorization statement" is. My guess it's a preprinted form that has the head clerk's name on it that attests that all the paperwork is in order.
Sometimes when people are sent to jail they use that time for quiet reflection. Other times when people sent to jail they decide to tell the judge how they want things done.
We'll stay tuned and see how it goes.

I am glad that couple got their license. But there HAVE been couples who came from other counties (Madison, about an hour from Rowan) and states (Ohio) to apply for licenses.

This is not directed at you specifically, but quite frankly, why does it matter where the couples were from? Do people think they were just trying to start something by asking her for a marriage license? It doesn't matter where these couples came from, she wasn't following the law, and that's that.

I am glad that couple got their license. But there HAVE been couples who came from other counties (Madison, about an hour from Rowan) and states (Ohio) to apply for licenses.
Oh my stars, happy couples arrived from (horrors) Madison! and worse, the state of (horrors again) Ohio!!!

I suppose this has caused some to go into pearl clutch mode. :teeth:

Life's too short. Seriously. I wish the couples every happiness.:goodvibes

Okay, once again correcting you because you are wrong. The guy or guys that released this man were agents of the government, disobeying a law on the books that all released illegal immigrants were to be turned over to ICE. They released the man into the public, disobeying a law, which ultimately led to this woman's death. That simple enough?

Ok - Kim Davis is acting as an agent of the government and is denying people their civil rights.
The "guy or guys" or girl or girls who released "this man" is/are an agents of the government. They didn't deny anybody's civil rights.
Then "the man" (boy, you are informed about this case), killed "this woman". He as far as I'm aware is not an agent of the government.

You are super passionate about this. Maybe you can start a thread where it could be discussed and be on topic.

I'm a born again Christian and I wish this women(and the bakery people etc...) would go away already. In my opinion she's doing a craptastic job representing Jesus in this situation and she's causing so much harm. I'm so tired of these people trying to make themselves "martyrs" all the while picking and choosing which parts of the Bible they want to follow.

I am not justfying what she did. She had the choice to step down and she should have. Her faith should not be questioned because she doesn't believe as you do or as some like to assume she does.
It's not her faith that is being questioned. It is her application of that faith and the effect on others. FWIW, I agree with you that she is not a hypocrite since she "sinned" prior to joining her current religion and, by definition of that religion, her "sins" were forgiven. There is a reason people say they are "born again".

One of her pretend defenses was that couples in Rowan county could travel to other counties to get licenses so it wasn't an "undue burden" that she wasn't issuing them. As far as I know, the roads there aren't one-way out of the county. What's good for the goose...

Not really.
You have no idea if she is a hypocrite as you don't know what changed or didn't change in her life.

She darn well knew cheating on a spouse was wrong when she did it. And to turn around and appoint herself the bastion of protecting marriage when she couldn't protect hers is hypocritical. And for her to rationalize it by saying she has had some sort of revelation and therefore none of that stuff she did counts is disingenuous.

Yup, exactly right. :goodvibes
Just to add, the couple live, work, and pay taxes in Rowan county.

It's kind of funny to me how often those facts have to be restated. I don't know why some are so eager to assume the couple must not be from Rowan County. Odd.

Because that fact is inconvenient to some people's agendas.

I don't think she is a private detective. It would be rather hard to research secret affairs.
AFAIK, you have to provide proof of a divorce when you obtain your licence to remarry. Perhaps she should also refuse to issue marriage licences to anyone who has been divorced to be on the safe side and not accidentally provide a licence to marry (with her name on it!) to people who have not divorced in a manner she deems appropriate.

Apparently Davis is going to hold a news conference from the jail at 2:30 this afternoon. You know, like all prisoners are allowed to do.

This is not directed at you specifically, but quite frankly, why does it matter where the couples were from? Do people think they were just trying to start something by asking her for a marriage license? It doesn't matter where these couples came from, she wasn't following the law, and that's that.

Oh my stars, happy couples arrived from (horrors) Madison! and worse, the state of (horrors again) Ohio!!!

I suppose this has caused some to go into pearl clutch mode. :teeth:

Life's too short. Seriously. I wish the couples every happiness.:goodvibes
My point is simply there are people on BOTH sides who are using this to get their "15 minutes of fame". Do you honestly believe these couples all of a sudden decided they needed to be married in Rowan County?

Kim Davis is wrong. She should have resigned when she decided she couldn't do the job. The judge made a wise decision in jailing her because any fine wouldn't have been paid by her.

Did anyone else see the story that Ms. Davis (apparently unknowingly) issued a marriage license to a couple comprised of one female and one transgender male (born female) in February. Oh my.

My point is simply there are people on BOTH sides who are using this to get their "15 minutes of fame". Do you honestly believe these couples all of a sudden decided they needed to be married in Rowan County?

Kim Davis is wrong. She should have resigned when she decided she couldn't do the job. The judge made a wise decision in jailing her because any fine wouldn't have been paid by her.
I believe in freedom. I think Americans have a right to decide when and where they get married. End of story.

Are there any couples in Rowan County that had been planning their wedding for months (paid for the venue, catering, etc) but then had to cancel it because they couldn't get a marriage license?

I believe in freedom. I think Americans have a right to decide when and where they get married. End of story.
I never said they didn't. I think it's hypocritical though for people to claim Davis is doing this because she wants attention but have no problem with people on the other side of the issue looking for attention.

I never said they didn't. I think it's hypocritical though for people to claim Davis is doing this because she wants attention but have no problem with people on the other side of the issue looking for attention.
Certainly free to think as you wish.

I don't care about the location a couple selects for their wedding. That's their decision. It's not my business. I'm certainly not going to call a happy couple, in love, hypocrites. That would just be mean spirited and odd to me.

Vegas? fine. Rowan county? fine. Local church of xyz town? fine. Justice of the peace? fine. See where this is going? :)

Who said anything about them looking for attention? If anything, them coming to the county made it reach national headlines faster. As it is, it took 3 months before this really came into the limelight. Maybe they were also going to show their support, in how absurd it is that this woman would deny them a marriage license.

Or maybe they really like a town in Rowan and want to get married in that county. It doesn't matter why, Kim didn't do what she was supposed to do. Side note: I haven't seen any news about the other couples as much as the one couple who lives in the county, so doing it for their 15 minutes of fame isnt really working out for them, if that is what you believe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter