KathyRN Family's Trip Report: Adventures in Autism: WDW... A FEW PICS, FINALLY! pg 13

Kathy-- Bummed I am just finding your trip report at the end of it!!!!! I made it through the first four pages, but I will come back to finish it..brings tears to my eyes already, what a wonderful family you have!!!

Kathy, I want to get in here and post to your TR before it's put in the Completed TR section (cause I know you can't post to those).

I love your TR! It's absolutely brilliant! :thumbsup2 I'm not finished it yet but wanted to tell you how great it is! Wonderful job you did! :woohoo:

This thread (which took me about a week to read!) gives me hope that my vacation next week will go well. I was last at Disney in 2004 when my son, then 5, was not yet diagnosed on the Spectrum as HFA/SID. Now that we know about this I think things will go better. I'm hoping to see some of the benefits you cite (great idea about adding this to his IEP!). But if we don't that'll be ok too. I love your philosophy about being flexible. I'm definitely going to try to adopt that.

My pre-trip report is here: <well ok then. apparantly I'm too much of a noob to be allowed to post a link. But it's thread #1423157>. I hope to do live posts throughout next week if I find time. I will probably also focus on my own adventures in autism.

Wish me luck.

P.S. OK. I'll admit it. I teared up at the Eeyore story too. :sad:

Excellent job on the pictures. I love to be able to see what people look like. I picture them in my mind as I'm reading the TR so it's fun to compare what I'm picturing vs. what people really look like. Great job! I'm eagerly awaiting your next TR.

PS-You have a BEAUTIFUL family!!

Robert: Thanks! :goodvibes I sent you a PM. Have a wonderful time next week. (I am jealous!)

Lin: Wishing you and your family lots and lots of pixiedust:

Kathy

I also have a child on the spectrum ;) I don't want to leave this thread and not be able to find it again! :lmao:

Edited: Wow. I just finished. Thank you. You are an amazing writer - and I enjoyed every page.

kpk89: I think I remember you from Dorkapalooza, right? I'm glad you enjoyed that story because I accidentally tell it again later on!!

Kathy

((blush)) I play a minor role in Dorkapalooza, written by my friend AshClan. I am one of the original Disney Dorks! :rotfl:

I just finished reading your report, and it is wonderful!!! You really sum it all up in your epilogue, about gifts and sharing them and making the moments count. I will be sharing your report with a friend who is planning her family's first visit this fall, and whose oldest child has Aspergers. I'm sure your tales will be helpful to all families, and especially those with a child on the spectrum.

Thank you for writing this, Kathy!!!

I will be sharing your report with a friend who is planning her family's first visit this fall, and whose oldest child has Aspergers. I'm sure your tales will be helpful to all families, and especially those with a child on the spectrum.

Kim: That's why I decided to write it... Thanks! I hope your friend's family has the best time ever!

preschoolmom: :grouphug: Thanks for reading. (And posting!)

medicgirl911: Hope you get to finish; I know you're busy planning your trip... I keep checking in on your pre-trip report! I'm starting to get addicted to those, too!

DebIreland: Let's get a move on, shall we? You've still got nine days to go!! :hourglass

Halloweenqueen: I finally found my itinerary from Marathon Weekend. I've started a small TR... hope I can remember most of the details! If I hadn't taken so many notes last November, I would have never remembered half of what we did! ;)

Kathy

So I realize the last update to this thread was in 2007, nearing a decade ago. I know you may not see this at all, and that's okay. But I just joined the DISboards, and I found the link to this trip report through the disABILITIES post under helpful tips for autistics in Disney World. My son is 5 now, and though we've had him in speech therapy since he was three, he was diagnosed not too long ago as high functioning ASD. As I read through your report, I keep seeing things that bring tears to my eyes, because they hit so close to home for me. Someone else knows what it's like! Someone else GETS it! Someone else understands all the ups and downs and individual quirks that make my son so unique and different! I'm not done reading it yet, but I fully intend to finish. And I hope you see this and see that you're still helping so very much. This means the world to me. <3

I too have a 5 year old autistic son. He loves ALL things Mickey and I never dreamed that a trip to WDW with him could be possible. I've taken my daughter several times. I cried through your trip report (happy tears, I promise!) Thank you for this! It's hard to believe your Billy is almost 18 now. If you are still around Kathy....we'd love to know how your son is doing! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter