KathyRN Family's Trip Report: Adventures in Autism: WDW... A FEW PICS, FINALLY! pg 13

Human nature being what it is, my first impulse is to brag that it was all due to my extensive planning and preparation. I went back and read my earliest pre-trip entries from almost a year ago and had a good laugh at myself…such ridiculous obsession over each and every detail! :rolleyes:

I'm still like that and I don't think it will change :lmao:

Kathy said:
Life is all about how you handle Plan B.

T-shirts give good advice ;)

Kathy said:
Walt’s legacy does indeed live on in the theme parks that bear his name. Everyone can come to WDW to play, even if they have physical or psychological challenges. It’s the most accommodating vacation place on earth. And that means so much to families that live with the day-to-day struggles of autism. The cast members really seem to care about you and your children. They just make you feel so welcomed, so accepted, and so valued. It does feel magical. It feels a lot like….love.

That’s why we love Walt Disney World and that is why we will go back again and again.

Kathy, you're epilogue was so well written. It brought tears to my eyes.

I hate when trip reports have to end.

Thank you for sharing your adventures with us. I don't know about the others, but for me, it was funny, entertaining and educational.

You are one special lady :hug:

I hate when trip reports have to end.

It's funny, but ending a TR feels just a tiny bit like re-living the end of the vacation! No wonder some of these trippies go on for 20 or 30 pages!:rotfl:

Blue: It was so nice having you along, take care!

Kathy

Excellent TR. :goodvibes
I highly recommend that you keep writing them.
Thank you for taking us along for the ride while you re-live your trip!

I am still way back in the pre-trip part of your report, but I had to tell you that this

Like the time we were at EPCOT UK and Pooh and Eeyore suddenly popped into the toy store and Billy just walked up to Eeyore and started talking to him in complete sentences. “Hello, Eeyore, do you want to play a game? (Eeyore starts to play patty-cake with Billy) “That was fun!" (He takes Eeyore by the hand.) “Come on, Eeyore, let’s go home!” I was standing there in shock and then the tears just started welling up in my eyes. My son was seven years old and I had never heard him actually carry on a conversation with anyone. Not even me. I felt like grabbing Eeyore by his other hand and running so I could take him home with us and it could never end. The CM handler just put her arm around my shoulders after I had blubbered a quick “My son is autistic; he never talks this much”, and she said to me, “Isn’t it wonderful!” Then she started crying, too!

The parents who started lining up behind us must have thought we were nuts or something, but I didn’t care! It’s the countless little WDW moments like these that give me such joy and hope , and allows me to cope with the day-to-day struggles of parenting a handicapped child.

brought tears to my eyes. How excellent is THAT!?! :cloud9:

Sorry to go on and on, but I just feel like I need to say "Goodbye" to everyone! :hug:

csuzannet: It was a pleasure!

kpk89: I think I remember you from Dorkapalooza, right? I'm glad you enjoyed that story because I accidentally tell it again later on!!

Halloweenqueen: I'm looking forward to reading about the Seven Dwarfs' trip!

tweentoddlermom: Thanks! Love your avatar!

Kathy

I hope Linnie doesn't read your final post. She'll fall apart. Brought a tear to my eye also. Very good report. There should be a link to this report on the disabilities board.

Great report and thank you for all your time and effort on it.

Look forward to reading the next one.

MDF

Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us. You're a beautiful writer and storyteller and I thank you :hug:

Wow. What a great story. I laughed, I cried, I felt so connected with your family. Thank you for sharing this with us... :hug:

It's not really "good-bye" Kathy - I am leaving tomorrow for WDW with my 12 year old autistic son. You should know that your trip report was wonderfully written and lots of us will follow you....of course, I couldn't hope to match your wonderful report. Thanks again for sharing! :sunny:

soonermickey: I will, but I'm not starting so early this time!!

Marion: :hug: to you, too, and thanks!

Tiggerbelle: You are really sweet (and so funny!) Have a great trip next month!

lalapodip: Oh, I do hope you and your family have tons of magical moments! :goodvibes Bon Voyage!

Kathy

Well, I know my report is done....I've just been itching to post some pictures. Forgive me, but I have this fear of posting images of my children's faces anywhere on the internet, including a family site such as the Dis. I didn't have too much to choose from because:

1) 90% of my pics are of my kids,

2) I am the family photographer, so there are very few of just me,

3) My still shots are just the same old shots that everybody takes,(the castle, the hat, the golf ball, blah, blah, blah), so I didn't think they were particularly interesting!!

Next trip, I will try to take pics with a TR in mind!::yes::

First up: A shot of our villa from the "front"; our door was on the 2nd floor right behind the palm tree in the middle.

wdwtrip06-438okw.jpg

The view from our "verandah":

wdwtrip06-442okw.jpg

Billy and Tricia holding hands in Epcot:

wdwtrip06-123epcot.jpg

Billy gives Pooh-Bear a big hug:

wdwtrip06-77mk.jpg

Eddie poses as Aunt Rae looks on:

wdwtrip06-241ltt.jpg

(Well, he's already posted a bunch of pictures on My Space, so I guess one on the Dis won't hurt!:rolleyes1 )

Tricia and Billy contemplate Splash Mountain:

wdwtrip06-436mk.jpg

This is the CM that was so kind to us during Woody's Cowboy Camp:

wdwtrip06-408mk.jpg

Billy doing the Hokey-Pokey with the CMs:

wdwtrip06-424mk.jpg

wdwtrip06-426mk.jpg

wdwtrip06-427mk.jpg

A hungry Ed in the "living room" at 50's PTC:

wdwtrip06-450ptc.jpg

Ed and me with "Dad's Electric Lemonade"...can you tell I'm a lightweight??

wdwtrip06-452ptc.jpg

Uncle Chris...what a funny guy!

wdwtrip06-467ptc.jpg

Aunt Rae with Nelson, the PTC chef:

wdwtrip06-456ptc.jpg

Billy having a blast with the dessert menu on the view-finder:

wdwtrip06-471ptc.jpg

Tricia is mortified when Uncle Chris tries to play matchmaker:

wdwtrip06-468ptc.jpg

"Here comes the airplane...!"

wdwtrip06-466ptc.jpg

I guess I was taking too long to set up this shot....

wdwtrip06-474ptc.jpg

And I guess I'm taking too long to f-i-n-i-s-h this report!!!

Good-bye, again, until the next pre-trippie!!

Kathy

Kathy! I can't believe you did it!!! :cheer2: :yay:

The villa looks gorgeous :thumbsup2

It really looks like you were all having a great time - even Aunt Rae! :goodvibes

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I know how nervous you were about posting them but don't feel bad, you're not alone in this. I still have some anxiety about it.

Thank you for sharing your photos. It means a lot. I understand your aprehension about posting them. They were wonderful pictures of your WONDERFUL family!!!

Until next time......

Love the pics Kathy!!! It's so great to be able to put faces to names, since we have come to love your family so much over the past few months. Can't wait for the next TR! :banana:
Missy

So great to see pictures! I love the ones from 50s Prime!

Do you plan to do a trip report of your couple's trip?

So great to see pictures! I love the ones from 50s Prime!

Do you plan to do a trip report of your couple's trip?

I'll try. At first, Ed was skeptical about this whole TR thing. But after he read about our trip he now wants me to do a report on our marathon weekend. Of course he does, because he is the star! ;)

It may be difficult because I didn't take any notes. So I'll give you the standard Mommy reply...."We'll see..."

Kathy :flower3:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter