Kama'aina Kids Sitter Service review

twodogs

DIS Veteran
We just returned from our first stay at Aulani, 8 nights. I want to write a trip report, but don't have time just yet to do it justice. However, I know some others are traveling early this summer and had asked for a review of the sitter service, so I am going to post it now so it may help others.

We used the service as we (DH, my parents and I) were planning an all-day trip to Pearl Harbor. Kids were +/- about going (they are 8 and 10), and I did't want them to rush my parents through it. PH was a bucket list item for them, and one of the primary reasons for this trip and for choosing Oahu, since my dad is a retired military pilot.

I contacted the sitter service by phone about 2 months prior to the date needed, and although Aulani's site recommends booking at least 24 hours in advance, the sitter service said they get booked up weeks in advance, particularly in summer. So bottom line, as soon as you know your plans, book it. You can cancel up to 8 hours prior if needed.

I had to leave a message but Jenn Hew quickly returned the call and took all of our information. She emailed me the same day with the name of the sitter (Ashley), as well as a short form to fill out. The form notes that they can't take the kids swimming in pools or ocean while sitting.

There is a 4 hour minimum, and then they charge you in 1/2 hour increments after that. They don't charge you until the day is completed, so you just need to give them a ball park time that you will return. Since we were going to PH for 9AM Arizona tickets, we wanted to leave Aulani no later than 7AM. We had the sitter scheduled to arrive at 06:30. The day before, the service called to confirm our room number, and the sitter came straight to the room.

She was very sweet, and brought a big bag of crafts and activities. She gave the kids breakfast from our kitchen after we left, as planned. They made pineapple beaded key rings from her craft bag. I had looked at the Iwa the night before, and asked her to take the kids down around 7:45 to the Pau Hana room to register for the Canoe Racing activity, since activities had been filling up before they even got through the line at 0800. She did this as well as took them to the paper craft activity/bag designing activity that I asked her to check out (cost $25 extra, but she texted me to make sure price was ok). She was extremely familiar with Aulani and the entire process, since she sits there often. They got into the Canoe activity and they really enjoyed it.

While we were gone, she (on her own!) called the character line, and took them to meet all the characters for the day. She took lots and lots of photos on her phone, which she sent throughout the day, as well as kept up with our Photopass card so we would have those photos too. At the end of the day, she even went to the gift shop and added all of the Canoe Racing pictures onto our Photopass card. YEA!! At that point in the trip, I hadn't even figured out how to add pictures from the group events to our card...

She was strict with the girls about re-applying sunblock every 2 hours (again, her rule, which I thought was a good one), and had them wear their hats. They did go in the ocean to race the canoes, but I had asked her before we left if this was ok, and she said it was.

She took the kids to check out a movie for the night at Pau Hana (again, on her own but I was very happy she did), so they were ready with that when we got back at around 5pm. They also did the Scavenger Hunt, and the girls said she showed them some really cool things since she has done it many times. We left the kids key cards with her, and they had charging enabled. This made it easy for her to pay for the bag-making activity and their lunches/treats.

Charges for the sitter service went straight to my credit card, and we did give her a cash tip, though I don't know if that is standard or not. She paid for her own lunch and parking, though we offered to cover these things.

Overall it was a very positive experience and I would definitely use this service again. She seemed very responsible, fun, engaged and knowledgable about Aulani.

Thank you!!! I will talk to DH tonight about using this service at least one night so the 4 adults can get a night out together!!

Thank you for the review! My girls will be 9 and 11 and my older daughter cringed when I told her they would have to go to Aunty's one night while DH and I go out for our anniversary. This sounds like a good alternative!

I will say my daughters are almost 11 and 8.5, and they were fine going to,Aunty's. Met some other kids there and enjoyed it. We only used it for a few hours here and there, but it worked. It does close at 9pm which can be tight if dinner runs over.

We could not use it for our PH day since we were leaving so early.

Does anyone think 10 year old boy and a 13 year old girl would be ok with this service for an evening?

We went in 2014 when he was 7 and she was 10 and they both disliked Aunty's. She did the hula lesson there and thought that was "ok".
They both did the "Fish are Friends" activity and thought it was the worst ever. And for us, spending $60 per was not good. We got the "why did you send us
to this. It was sooooo bad."
But then again, I'm sure others loved it.
Needless to say, when our son acted up, just mentioning that he would be sent to Aunty's straightened him right up.

I think it would be great for kids your kids ages. You let them know the kids ages ahead of time so the sitter can plan. As I said, I had activities picked out and the sitter executed them well. I don't think they can leave the resort with the kids, so something at the resort like starlit Hui, scavenger hunt Etc might be fun, if it's in the evening. Movies are plentiful to check out and are free. If your kids like to cook/bake and you have a kitchen, maybe they could make dinner or some goodies with the sitter?

Hi there! 1st post planning a trip for Thanksgiving week! I was wondering do people use Aunty's to sneak out to dinner at a place close by like Monkeypod for example? I know the policy is you are supposed to stay on the resort when the kids are there, but I've seen a few posts here where people have reported doing that. You think it's pretty safe to do? It's not like they give you a beeper that will alarm if you leave the premises or anything is there? Haha. I would love to start making a a couple 'kid-free' reservations ASAP so any help would be appreciated! THANKS!

I actually called Aulani and asked just that question. They said you are welcome to leave the property but you have to be reachable by phone. We ate one night at Monkeypod and one night at Roys, and they did Aunty's both times. It does close at 9pm, so make dinner reservations early, as the restaurants are on Island Time and don't always move as fast as I am used to (this was not a bad thing at all, but we were almost late getting the kids one night because dinner was enjoyed slowly).

See this thread about reserving free Aunty's activities in advance so you don't risk them being at drop-in capacity on the night you want to dine out. http://www.disboards.com/threads/auntys-free-activities-registration.3489715/

Since you will be there at a really busy time, pre-reserving Aunty's is especially important.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter