Just Returned...HOT HOT HOT...Essentials to survive...please read

LoveThatMouse!

DIS Veteran
We just returned from our FANTASTIC but EXTREMELY HOT HOT HOT Trip June 22-27.:beach:
Here are my observations...

1. Socks and running shoes -or- your most 'tried and true' sport sandal etc. are a must. Saw LOTS of folks with blisters. Pack band aids. Please don't break in a new pair of shoes at Disney.

2. If possible, pack everything you need in a fanny pack. Carrying a huge backpack makes you that much more HOT. Honestly, you really won't need half the stuff you think you will in that huge tote bag or backpack.

3. Disney will provide cups of ice water anywhere you ask...

4. Pack a rain poncho and carry a packable umbrella. You will be super thankful for the umbrella even when it's not raining. It was a LIFESAVER at Epcot in the heat of the day for shade as we walked. We LOVED our umbrella more for shade than for rain protection. You will NOT regret this decision. PROMISE!

5. MOST IMPORTANTLY! For women, Spandex capri leggings should be considered over any type of shorts... I don't have thighs that normally rub together, but OH MY WORD they rubbed together this past week ....sweaty thighs rubbing together and a hem on a pair of shorts makes for a miserable day. The days that I wore a dri-fit tank and spandex leggings with socks and running shoes were my HAPPIEST. If you MUST wear shorts, buy some body glide. I have never seen so many miserable folks with unhappy thighs. By the end of the day, the number of folks doing the athlete waddle trying to put space between their rubbing thighs was painful to watch. Body Glide is not sold in the park. It would be a huge money maker for Disney if they did.

6. Use sunscreen and deodorant...enough said.
7. sunglasses:cool2:
8. and if at all possible, a mid-day break with a nap, shower, or time in the pool

so short list....
running shoes and socks (or favorite tried and true shoe of choice)
fanny pack
umbrella
spandex leggings
body glide
sunscreen
sunglasses
mid-day break

Just do it !

Last edited:
Totally agree on the pants vs shorts recommendation! Last September I solo-toured San Juan, Puerto Rico, and ran all over that place in the heat and humidity! Boy was I sooooo glad I wore my workout clothes (all wicking), including my yoga pants and running shoes, vs. regular summer clothes with shorts! What a lifesaver!

As for blisters on the feet, I got BAD blisters every single year at the park. Every time by the end of the first day, I would have blisters. Last time I went, I greased the bottom of my feet very well from heel to toes. I put my socks and shoes on and went out to enjoy the parks. NO more blisters. I was so happy and comfortable.

Last edited:
Funny that you mention "shoes" because I learned more about my feet visiting WDW than all of the other years of my life. You want to find out if a pair of shoes are comfortable...or not, wear them for a few days in blistering heat! My first intro to Crocs was on a WDW trip about 8-10 years ago. My son and I only wear dri-fit type clothes and my shorts have to be on the lighter side....regular cotton cargo shorts get disgusting in that heat. We've got it pretty down at this point but there have been days where we've worn our bathing trunks to parks because they're so light and airy. For men at least, my son and I pack very light with a few polo shirts for our evening ADR's. We have only been to WDW on vacation in July and/or August so the heat is always going to be part of it but we've come to embrace it and love it to be honest [but then again we're always in a pool too].

Work out clothes are my favorite for summer visits...and sports bras for the women. Band-aid makes an anti-friction stick that is easier to find than body glide. Be careful using either on your feet to avoid blisters, because they can become slippery and make it hard to walk...not that I know this from experience :rolleyes1

The only thing that differs for me is the shoe issue. I cannot wear running shoes in the parks no way no how. Even my good ones I run 5ks in. Nope, nope, nope. The only day I wore those I almost couldn't walk out of Epcot. It was our second full day of vacation and I thought I was in trouble. My tevas flip flops saved my feet last summer. But I am a flip flop wearer most of the year anyway! I hate regular shoes.

I have never been anytime other than summer (may, june, and august, and this year july) and what I always tell people is...do not push yourself. It is not worth making yourself sick just to get in "one more ride". Go take a break inside somewhere or go back to the resort for a swim break and a shower. You will feel like a new person when you head back to the parks for the evening.

Work out clothes are my favorite for summer visits...and sports bras for the women. Band-aid makes an anti-friction stick that is easier to find than body glide. Be careful using either on your feet to avoid blisters, because they can become slippery and make it hard to walk...not that I know this from experience :rolleyes1

The only thing that differs for me is the shoe issue. I cannot wear running shoes in the parks no way no how. Even my good ones I run 5ks in. Nope, nope, nope. The only day I wore those I almost couldn't walk out of Epcot. It was our second full day of vacation and I thought I was in trouble. My tevas flip flops saved my feet last summer. But I am a flip flop wearer most of the year anyway! I hate regular shoes.

I have never been anytime other than summer (may, june, and august, and this year july) and what I always tell people is...do not push yourself. It is not worth making yourself sick just to get in "one more ride". Go take a break inside somewhere or go back to the resort for a swim break and a shower. You will feel like a new person when you head back to the parks for the evening.
I have really comfy but ugly Ecco sandals, I can walk on them all day. Just have to make sure they don't appear in the pics. :o

I have really comfy but ugly Ecco sandals, I can walk on them all day. Just have to make sure they don't appear in the pics. :o
I have some Ecco sandals that I love and wore on the first day and the bottoms of my feet started to blister. Weird. Had never had that happen before so it was socks and my Nike Free sneaks from that point on. I was a happy camper afterward. I suppose each person must know his/her own best shoe.

Lots of great advice, and all normal stuff at the parks for us but for socks and shoes in the heat. No thank you! That is miserable to me. A good pair of sport sandals. No blisters no sweaty feet, lots of comfort.

Lots of great advice, and all normal stuff at the parks for us but for socks and shoes in the heat. No thank you! That is miserable to me. A good pair of sport sandals. No blisters no sweaty feet, lots of comfort.

Yeah, I like the idea of sport sandals. I really need to look into that. Just need to find something with good arch support, suffered for 6 months one time with plantar fasciitis and NEVER AGAIN, lol

Yeah, I like the idea of sport sandals. I really need to look into that. Just need to find something with good arch support, suffered for 6 months one time with plantar fasciitis and NEVER AGAIN, lol
Chaco's may have the best arch support. But make sure to try on and walk around in a pair first. They are not for everyone, even the style that doesn't wrap the toe. They may have too much arch support in them, they do for DH. I like mine but I don't wear them at Disney. I prefer my Teva's or my Merrel's.

DH's favorite are Keen's

We just returned from our FANTASTIC but EXTREMELY HOT HOT HOT Trip June 22-27.:beach:
Here are my observations...

1. Socks and running shoes are a must ... sweaty feet and any type of sandal do not make for Happy Feet. Saw LOTS of folks with blisters. Pack band aids.

2. If possible, pack everything you need in a fanny pack. Carrying a huge backpack makes you that much more HOT. Honestly, you really won't need half the stuff you think you will in that huge tote bag or backpack.

3. Disney will provide cups of ice water anywhere you ask...

4. Pack a rain poncho and carry a packable umbrella. You will be super thankful for the umbrella even when it's not raining. It was a LIFESAVER at Epcot in the heat of the day for shade as we walked. We LOVED our umbrella more for shade than for rain protection. You will NOT regret this decision. PROMISE!

5. MOST IMPORTANTLY! For women, Spandex capri leggings are far more comfortable than any type of shorts... I don't have thighs that normally rub together, but OH MY WORD they rubbed together this past week ....sweaty thighs rubbing together and a hem on a pair of shorts makes for a miserable day. The days that I wore a dri-fit tank and spandex leggings with socks and running shoes were my HAPPIEST. If you MUST wear shorts, buy some body glide. I have never seen so many miserable folks with unhappy thighs. By the end of the day, the number of folks doing the athlete waddle trying to put space between their rubbing thighs was painful to watch. Body Glide is not sold in the park. It would be a huge money maker for Disney if they did.

6. Use sunscreen and deodorant...enough said.
7. sunglasses:cool2:

so short list....
running shoes and socks
fanny pack
umbrella
spandex leggings
body glide
sunscreen
sunglasses

Just do it !

Now, I disagree. Socks and sneakers make the feet sweat, which makes me feel 100x more hot and sticky. We have all been wearing flip flops every day, and had not a single blister or aching foot. Using Glide on the feet helps with that though.And make sure to moisturize your heels EVERY night to prevent cracks. Bag Balm is really good for heels.

I agree with the thighs and using Glide. Better than anything I find are sundresses - they are far more breathable and leave you without that extra layer of fabric to rub.

Now, I disagree. Socks and sneakers make the feet sweat, which makes me feel 100x more hot and sticky. We have all been wearing flip flops every day, and had not a single blister or aching foot. Using Glide on the feet helps with that though.And make sure to moisturize your heels EVERY night to prevent cracks. Bag Balm is really good for heels.

I agree with the thighs and using Glide. Better than anything I find are sundresses - they are far more breathable and leave you without that extra layer of fabric to rub.

I have edited the original post to take into account the debate on shoe choice. I'm glad you haven't had shoe issues or foot troubles.:tigger:

Last edited:
Chaco's may have the best arch support. But make sure to try on and walk around in a pair first. They are not for everyone, even the style that doesn't wrap the toe. They may have too much arch support in them, they do for DH. I like mine but I don't wear them at Disney. I prefer my Teva's or my Merrel's.

DH's favorite are Keen's

I have edited the original post to take into account the debate on shoes. My DD wears her Chaco's EVERYDAY EVERYWHERE and has hiked hundreds of miles in hers but on a rainy day at Disney, they rubbed their first blister. She was heartbroken. We both agree that they have awesome arch support. I'm glad you and your DH have found your perfect Disney shoe::MickeyMo

Last edited:
I have edited the original post to take into account the debate on shoe choice. I'm glad you haven't had shoe issues or foot troubles.:tigger:

:) Like the part about tried and tested! So true. Both DH and I spent a few weeks breaking in our sandals before we wore them. I wouldn't wear any new shoe - sandal or sneaker to Disney, without having broken them in first!

I edited the original post to take into account the debate on shoes. :earsboy:
I will go edit to include the mid-day break suggestion now. This past week was our first ever time to do the mid-day break, and it really was a life-saver! A nap and a shower made me a new person ::yes::

Last edited:
I agree with you, OP, about running shoes and socks. Been doing that for 25 trips. I also agree with the fanny pack.
I was in first aid once to get some cough medicine, and several people came in with the thigh-rubbing chaffing. They said it is one of their most common complaints. They give them diaper ointment. They say it works the same and is cheaper than body glide, and available almost everywhere.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter