Just got back...Mini-dining reviews

RyMickey

Disney Freak
We just got back last night from a wonderful trip! We spent 4 nights at AKL and 6 nights at BWV. We try to eat at least one nice meal out a day. Here's where we ate:

The Mara - What a start, I know, but if I don't go in order, I'll forget where we ate. With a party of 12, it's difficult to satisfy everyone, but AKL's fast food eatery had something for everyone. We ate 2 breakfasts and 2 dinners there. We loved the french toast brioche and the egg croissant sandwiches for breakfast (the ready-made fruit platters were great as well) and for dinner, we liked the pizzas (especially the caesar salad pizza) and the 'african' chicken kebob-like things (sorry, can't remember the name).

Tony's Town Cafe - Breakfast with the Pooh characters. They started us off with delicious cinnamon buns. Each person then got a huge plate of scrambled eggs (which were absolutely great!), hash browns, sausage, and bacon. Each table then got a plate of french toast covered with strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. Everything was absolutely wonderful! We had never eaten here before and would gladly go back.

Hollywood and Vine - Since there was only one showing of Fantasmic each night we were there, we decided to utilize the dinner package (although the seats are on the far right of the stadium, the seats were still great. You could see everything without a problem and not having to wait in line a a definite plus!). The buffet-style meal was wonderful. The salad bar was superb and the chicken, prime rib, and seafood pasta (granted, there was little seafood) were all excellent. Plus, there was the make your own sundae bar with brownies and cakes galore. We were very impressed with this meal. Once again, we hadn't eaten here before, but we'll definitely be going back.

Le Cellier - Another new restaurant for us...we tried it for lunch. Those of us that got sandwiches (the steak burger, the montreal chicken sandwich) were pleased with the meal (the sandwiches were decently priced around $9 and came with fries), but those who got entrees were disappointed in the quality of the meal for the price. However, the cheddar cheese soup was great! Overall, we would go again for the sandwiches, but not for the steak.

Liberty Tree Tavern - This is a favorite of ours every trip. A very good dinner with the characters. The turkey and filet mignon were great and the ham was wonderful. The salad they serve at the beginning with the raspberry vinagrette dressing is a favorite of ours. Everything was wonderful and the characters here always seem to be more relaxed than at any other character meal.

Rainforest Cafe - We ate here twice - on our arrival day in the Village and on the day we visited AK at, obviously, the AK counterpart. We love the Rainforest Cafe. The atmospere is wonderful and the price is just right for the quality and quantity of the food you get.

Whispering Canyon Cafe - We were a little disappointed with our meal this trip. We went for breakfast and were served family-style, all-you-care-to-eat waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns, biscuits, and great banana-nut? bread. Overall, though, the experience wasn't great. The eggs were watery, and the service just isn't as fun anymore. The first time we went, the servers were very rambunctious and poked fun at many a guest. We loved this, which is why we went back a few years later. We had noticed at that time that they weren't as ornery and the waitress said that they had been told to tone it down by upper management. We decided to try it again this year, and although they had upped the level of fun considerably since the last trip, it wasn't the same as the first time we went. The food isn't that good and the reason we went was for the fun. Oh, well.

ESPN Club - Went here for dinner one night. Nothing special. Decent burgers and a very good BBQ pulled pork sandwich. Service was quick and meal was adequately priced.

Chef Mickey's - This place used to have the best french toast, but a few years ago, they changed their recipe and started to use little pieces of bread instead of big ones (We actually found that we liked the Mara's french toast brioche better). Still, this is a very good meal. Everything is good and we've never been disappointed going to this breakfast. The breakfast pizza is yummy!

Those were our big meals. We snacked on Dole Whips (our first time and we loved them!), beaver tails in Canada, popcorn from all over, Cinnamon Yummies and chocolate cake from the Boardwalk Bakery, and french fries from DisneyQuest (they have great fries!).

Overall, we all thought that the food at Disney was much, much better than in years past. The quality is definietly up!

RyMickey

I wish that we had gone to Tony's for b-fast. I was very disappointed with dinner.

We went to Le Cellier for dinner and we loved the steaks, but we had Discovery Magic so that made the price better. I agree with you about the soup though.

Thanks for the reviews, that breakfast at Tony's sounds yummy! Also, I love Hollywood and Vine also, and can't wait to go back there Friday. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter