• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Back - Quick Review of our Dining

DisneyHardin

DIS Veteran
We are big lovers of the dining plan, so we were pretty bummed that it didn't come back in time for our trip. After going without it, I'm not sure we will go back because we did spend less and didn't feel obligated to order things we really didn't want because they came with the plan.

I didn't take any picture of our food, so this will just be a quick overview.

11/2 - Lunch - Epcot - We had a late lunch at Rose & Crown. We got a Scotch Egg appetizer, DH got Bangers and Mash and I got the Fish and Chips. The egg seemed just a little undercooked - the sausage wasn't raw, but it could have stayed in the fryer a little longer. DH really enjoyed his bangers and mash. The fish and chips were fantastic. It was the largest portion I've ever seen there - it included 3 HUGE pieces of fish. DH and I could have shared it. I only ate a little over half.
Dinner - Polynesian - We were staying at The Poly and had dinner at Cap'n Cooks. DH had a burger/fries and I had the nachos. We got them to go and just ate in our room. Both meals were really good.

11/3 - Breakfast - Polynesian - We did a mobile order from Cap'n Cooks and ate in the room before heading to MK. I had the waffles with bacon and DH had the breakfast burrito. Both were great and the mobile order was very efficient.
Lunch - MK - We got lunch from Casey's. It was the first time we had eaten there and it was good. I wasn't super hungry, so I just got an order of fries. DH got the footlong Chili Cheese dog and fries. It was way too much food. We should have just ordered one meal and I could have eaten some of his fries. He only ate about 2/3 of the hotdog. I hated throwing out so much expensive food.
Dinner - Contemporary - We had dinner at the new Steakhouse 71. It was fantastic - probably our best meal of the trip. We got the crab cakes for an appetizer - they were very good, but were just 2 tiny cakes and wasn't much for the price. We both got the NY Strip steak for our protein - DH had the mashed potatoes and I had the mac and cheese. His mashed potatoes were fine, but nothing great. The mac and cheese was great. The steaks were well cooked. DH got the house steak sauce and I got the mushroom sauce. I didn't like the mushroom sauce, but I think it was just my taste and not that it was bad. I wish I had gotten the house sauce because it was great. We shared a piece of the chocolate cake. It was great, but very rich - with both of us eating, we still only ate half.

11/4 - Breakfast - Polynesian - We did another mobile order from Cap'n Cooks. I got the kids meal with oatmeal - it is a fantastic bargain for breakfast. It was a bowl of oatmeal, 2 sides and a small drink for $5.49. I got bacon as both of my sides, so I had a total of 4 slices of bacon. DH got the burrito again.
Dinner - Disney Springs - We skipped lunch because we were having an early dinner at Disney Springs. About 4 though, we got hungry, so we got the cheese dip with tortilla chips at Jock Lindsay's Hangar Bar - it was good and filled the hunger, but wasn't anything I would rush out to order again. We had dinner at The Edison. We started with the candied bacon - it is fantastic, but really expensive for what it is. It's almost $5/slice for the bacon. After having eaten the cheese dip less than an hour before, we decided to share The Edison Burger with fries. It really is the best burger I've ever had. This was the second time I've had and it was just as good as the first time.
Snack - Polynesian - Since we ate dinner kind of early, we got hungry about 8, so we went up to the Tambu Lounge and got some noodles and ribs. There was a problem with the computer sending the order to the kitchen so we waited a really long time. The bartender then gave us a piece of bread pudding for free as a thank you for being patient with our food. Everything from Tambu was great.

11/5 - Breakfast - Polynesian - We had the exact same thing as the day before.
Lunch - Epcot - We just got lots of different things from the Food and Wine Booths. My favorite was the strawberry ice cream from the Shimmering Sips booth.
Dinner - Grand Floridian - We had dinner at Narcoossees. This is normally one of our very favorite restaurants, but it was very disappointing this trip. First, we were seated at the WORST table in the restaurant - it was practically in the lobby right next to the check in podium. There was a constant stream of people pushing past our table and the girl with the ipad who kept track of which tables were ready to be re-seated just stood right by us the entire night - I know it was because there was no where else for her to go, but it seemed like she was hovering over our table. The rolls were good, but were so crusty they were almost hard to eat and they made a HUGE mess when you cut into them. We got an order of calamari for an appetizer and it was okay. My DH got the filet for his meal and the piece of meat was really good, but the sides weren't that great. His roasted carrots were burnt. I got the Shrimp Scampi and it was terrible. The actual shrimp were delicious, but the pasta and sauce were totally flavorless - each bite of pasta tasted like I was eating a big glob of glue. DH got the Devils Food Tiramsu desert, he said it was good. I didn't try any because I don't like things that are coffee flavored. I left the restaurant almost in tears because that meal was $175 pre-tip and I felt like we could have had a better meal at Cap'n Cooks. I'm not sure if we will give it another try next year or not.

11/6 - Breakfast - Grand Floridian - We went to breakfast at The Grand Floridian Cafe. It was really good. I got the French Toast with bacon. DH got the steak and eggs - it was a great bargain for a sit down restaurant. It was $20 and included a good sized sirloin steak, eggs and cheese hashbrown casserole. This was our first time having breakfast here and we will definitely be back.
Lunch - We just stayed around the hotel, so we both had burgers from the Oasis Pool Bar. They were hot and fresh and were as good as you could probably get from a QS.
Dinner - The Beach Club - This was our first time going to Beaches and Cream - I have always wanted to try it, but had never been able to get an ADR prior to them expanding it. I'm glad we went, but don't know if I will ever feel the need to go back. The restaurant SOOOO LOUD - we couldn't even carry on a conversation because it was so loud in there. I got the grilled cheese and DH got the grilled chicken sandwich. He didn't really care for the sandwich - there was twice as much bun as chicken in it. The highlight of the meal was definitely desert - we shared the No Way Jose and it did not disappoint. It was just too much - even with both of us eating on it, we didn't even eat half.

11/7 - Breakfast - Polynesian - Same thing we had the other days
Snack - DHS - We shared one of the big pretzels from Baseline Tap House - it was so good. Soft pretzel with beer cheese is one of my favorite snacks and this is one of best ones.

That's all - we got on the Magical Express at 1:30 to head to the airport!!

Thanks for your reviews! We had a similar experience at Narcoosees.. I know so many on this board have had great dinners there so we might try it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter