Just back from Potter Paradise.....AGAIN! April 2017 trip report starting post #28

theSurlyMermaid

DIS Veteran
Seriously.

Look, I'm not one for hyperbole but the Harry Potter themed areas of Universal Studios must be the best in the world. For a Potter-phile it is simply a must. I was blown away by Diagon Alley, simply blown away. And not even because of the ride. The rides are absolutely secondary, even though they are great. I mean the immersion. It is breathtaking, truly.

So we just got back. We were there from Wednesday (though that doesn't count as we did not arrive until Wednesday night at 10pm and basically went straight to sleep). We stayed at the Royal Pacific resort, more on that in a minute. It was me, DH, DS9 and DD6. We haven't been to Universal since Hogsmeade opened. Short kids, not enough for them to do, etc. etc. Plus we are DVC members so we always go to Disney. However, with Disney not offering enough new experiences and Universal having the big P (Potter) we decided to go back. My son finally finished the series and was on his second reread. I wanted him to know the story completely when we went.

So first things first, the resort. We've stayed at Royal Pacific before and it's nice, but nothing to write home about. We are already planning to do Portofino next visit. We are used to one bedroom DVC villas and the last one we stayed at was Grand Floridian so this was going to pale. We had a split reservation due to room availability, I guess, and they couldn't make it into all one reservation. I wouldn't say they went above and beyond to try to fix this, which was a mild pain because our room charge cards stopped working in the middle of the park the next day (because we had a new room we needed to check into) and we needed to re-check in and re-do express passes after our first park day on Thursday. It wasn't the end of the world but it was a bit of a pain to have to get up really early to do the early entrance and also pack our stuff up and leave it at the concierge. Just an extra thing to do when we were all tired from getting in so late the night before. And about that late night, the Universal shuttle we took from the airport was well over half an hour late. We called at least three times and they had a lame excuse each time and a promise to be there in "5-7 minutes", which of course did not happen. The best part was informing the staff at Royal Pacific about this and having the reaction be a collective, "Wow, really? Bummer." Not exactly going above and beyond to remedy the situation. In fact, they seemed surprised that there even WAS a Universal shuttle, which was a little startling. But again, more a mild pain and nothing that would ruin the trip.

But the parks themselves, specifically Diagon Alley, were what we were there for and they did not disappoint. Diagon Alley is simply stunning and it is world class in every way. I ate at the Leaky Cauldron for almost every meal and they were the best meals I had. I prefer it to the Three Broomsticks, which we ate at multiple times on our last trip. Hogsmeade in general always seemed more packed than DA. I am not sure if that's because there are more rides in Hogsmeade or because its smaller or what, but that's what I found. However, I preferred DA by a whole lot. As I said before if there's a better immersive theme park experience, I haven't visited it. So back to the Leaky Cauldron, I loved the food and I loved the smaller environment. We moved on from there to Florean Fortescue's, which we visited every day of the three days we were there. Incidentally, I tried to order Butterbeer ice cream with a topping and they said they can't put anything on it because its trademarked. So I changed my order. I had Chocolate Chili, Clotted Cream ice cream and Strawberry Peanut Butter each of the three days we were there. I'd recommend all of these.

Gringott's was a 45 minute wait made longer when the ride went down but the theming was so great and the weather so pleasant I didn't think it was too long. The ride itself was awesome, even with my tendency for motion sickness. Forbidden Journey is a no go for me but this one I didn't get any motion sickness on. I rode it twice (though not in a row). DS is also motion sickness prone but had no trouble. DD won't do any rides that make her "tummy feel weird" so she waited in the parent swap. She also didn't much love the dragon shooting the fire out of his mouth on the top of the bank but I thought it was amazing. I think it was a little too real for her.

Beyond the Potter-verse, the rest of the park is clean and pleasant, but nowhere near as incredible. That's not to say it isn't fun though. The Mummy is as good as remembered (it did make DS a little queasy though) but the real fun for him began on Rip Ride Rockit. He just hit 51 inches this year so this was his first time riding this ride. I LOVE that he'll do the thrill rides. Just a few short years ago, he was riding Woody Woodpecker six times in a row and look at him now. Anyway, I rode with him the first time and despite my mom-spazz that he be as secure as possible in his cart, he did GREAT. He picked some song by No Doubt while I went with Beastie Boys. I wasn't sure what he would think of it given that he was more "meh" on the Mummy, but he LOVED it and it was his favorite ride hands down. In fact, when DD and DH went back to the hotel to rest, DS and I hit the park again because we hadn't gotten enough of Diagon Alley and Rip Ride Rockit. We wandered through Diagon Alley after eating at the Leaky Cauldron again (another great meal) and he selected an interactive wand which has to be the single greatest theme park souvenir ever invented. It's totally genius. ALL he wanted to do with his Elder Wand was find magic spots and practice. I had to drag him on Gringott's again (20 minute wait!). Then we hit RRR in the dark. It was even better than the first ride. In fact, it wasn't until our fourth time riding on our last day that we had a bum ride….last row. It rattled my sinuses so much and made him motion sick. Bum cart? Last row? I don't know.

DD managed to find stuff to do despite her hesitation about rides. She discovered Woody Woodpecker and rode it 18 times over three days. Yes, 18 times. Its the first coaster she has truly loved, just like DS. God bless Woody Woodpecker. It's even better the Goofy's Barnstormer though I'm not sure why. She also liked the MiB Alien Attack ride and the Minions. But her heart belonged to Woody. Sure, she had some great moments on the Pterandon Flyers, but that line is so frustrating you just can't go on it again and again once it gets crowded. Anything over 20 minutes, forget it. It loads too slowly and only two at a time. But it is a great ride and she did love it.

Which bring me to my whine about DD. She would not ride the Flying Hippogriff. Her eagle eye determined it was faster than Woody (she's right, but whatever) and we could not get her on it. So at Islands of Adventure, besides Pterandon and Dr. Suessland she sat around a whole lot and waited for us to ride. I'm not sure how much fun that could have possibly been but she is a cautious, stubborn child. I almost didn't get her on Woody. But I'm patient and hopefully she'll be ready next time.

Islands of Adventure was a great time for DS. He rode everything. Jurassic Park River Adventure remains one of his favorite rides ever (mine too, come to think of it) and we rode it 5 or so times. We had a lucky streak of getting front row multiple times which was even better. Then he rode Dudley Do-Right and Popeye's twice in a row. He was absolutely soaked and so were we. Which brings me to a gripe. We had regular lanyards to carry our cards in and our paper Express passes and park tickets got totally soaked. Why paper tickets? Why isn't the express pass tied to the hotel key? I thought it used to be? I know not all the hotels let you do Express Pass anymore but surely there's a way around this. No need for so many tickets and paper ones at that.

Getting back to food, besides Leaky Cauldron we ate at Mythos (good food, slow service) and Cowfish. We enjoyed Cowfish and it was really refreshing NOT to have a bunch of reservations in advance. There is truly something to be said for winging it. I'm glad we tried this place, as I would have been happy just eating at Leaky Cauldron every meal. I very nearly did.

We finished out the trip hanging at the pool at RPR. I can't understand why the parks close at 6 on Saturday after closing at 7 (IOA) and 8:30 (US) during the week. But it worked out for us as I was dead on my feet after three days and just wanted to sit by the pool. But seriously, RPR, no pool slide? Really? This is another reason I'm going to go back to Portofino Bay. My kids love the pool and specifically pool slides. It didn't even occur to me that there wouldn't be one at RPR. BUT I did discover I am awesome at hula-hooping. I haven't done it since I was a kid but I still got it. I even got a small crowd around me cheering me on. Who knew? So we did end up having a great time by the pool and staying until they closed.

All in all, the trip was great and end of April is a GREAT time to go. It was more crowded Friday and Saturday but Thursday was awesome and the WEATHER. We last went in August which was utterly dreadful. It was a breezy 82-85 degrees every day this time. We will definitely be returning this time of year.

Glad you had a great trip!

What a shame about the shuttle AND the staff's reaction. Thankfully we have never experienced anything like that with the staff, as we love RP. Hopefully you will like Portifino on your next trip :) Each hotel has their fans.

We were a little disappointed about the lack of slide at RP our first stay, but now I love that there is no slide. When my boys want a slide, we pool hop; but they also love the pirate ship play area, and spend more time playing with other kids instead of standing in line over and over for a slide. We usually pool hop mid-day when it's hot and crowded in the parks & enjoy RP's pool in the evenings.

Totally agree with you about the HP theming....LOVE! And the interactive wands, but souvenier/toy ever; our whole family enjoys casting the spells.

Glad to hear another great review of Cowfish, that will be new to us this summer.

GREAT trip report. Enjoyed reading all about it. We are also DVC people and haven't done Universal in years (2011 maybe) so are looking forward to returning now that all 3 of our kids can ride the bigger rides. We've got another two months to go!

We are also staying at RPR and now that I am reading about the lack of slide, I'm second guessing my decision. I guess we can always pool hop since we have 3 park days and I think that will be more than enough for us, especially with the FOTL access.

Good to hear about the reviews, haven't even thought about our food options yet!

Glad you had a great trip!

What a shame about the shuttle AND the staff's reaction. Thankfully we have never experienced anything like that with the staff, as we love RP. Hopefully you will like Portifino on your next trip :) Each hotel has their fans.

We were a little disappointed about the lack of slide at RP our first stay, but now I love that there is no slide. When my boys want a slide, we pool hop; but they also love the pirate ship play area, and spend more time playing with other kids instead of standing in line over and over for a slide. We usually pool hop mid-day when it's hot and crowded in the parks & enjoy RP's pool in the evenings.

Totally agree with you about the HP theming....LOVE! And the interactive wands, but souvenier/toy ever; our whole family enjoys casting the spells.

Glad to hear another great review of Cowfish, that will be new to us this summer.

Yeah, we were surprised and annoyed by the shuttle and the lack of reaction by anyone. But it should also be said that the shuttle was very much on time for the trip back and it's a nice shuttle….we watched Despicable Me on the way from the airport and Prisoner of Azkaban on the way to the airport.

We actually have stayed at Portofino before and I remember it was REALLY nice but we also remembered RP to be a great place. I don't think we did the pool the first time we stayed, there was no time. I definitely remember a slide at Portofino though. It's mostly for DD…she has a huge thing for the pool slide and since she often is opting out of rides in the parks I like for her to have the slide to feel brave on.

Good to hear about the reviews, haven't even thought about our food options yet!

The best part is you don't have to freak out and make reservations! We didn't have a single reservation the entire time and not only did we just walk in, we had minimal wait times. One of the best parts about Leaky was we were seated fast and had our order within 10 minutes of walking in the door. But for some reason every time we walked past the Three Broomsticks the line was out the door!

The best part is you don't have to freak out and make reservations! We didn't have a single reservation the entire time and not only did we just walk in, we had minimal wait times. One of the best parts about Leaky was we were seated fast and had our order within 10 minutes of walking in the door. But for some reason every time we walked past the Three Broomsticks the line was out the door!

VERY good to know...although it might be a different story during the high crowds of June for us!

I completely agree with you & the immersion factor -- the Potter areas are like walking into the books & movies. It's amazing! We liked Leaky Cauldron better than Three Broomsticks, too. I didn't dislike Three broomsticks; it was my favorite until Leaky Cauldron opened. Like you said, it wasn't as crowded & the food was amazing!

Too funny about your daughter & the Woody Woodpecker ride -- 18 times! LOL! At least she found something she loved, right? We've been to Universal 3 times (about 2 years between each trip) & my DD1 was itching to go on Rip Ride Rocket -- But it broke down the first TWO times we were there. The first trip, it wasn't running at all, and the second trip it broke down when she was in line (like the ride before she would have been on. She was SO mad!!!). She practically made it her mission to get on that ride when we were there last fall. LOL! Then when she did, the lines were walk on so she rode it FOUR times in a row. :crazy2: DD2 & I went & did other stuff while she enjoyed her RRR marathon because I would have been pukey just watching her!! ROFL!

And about that late night, the Universal shuttle we took from the airport was well over half an hour late. We called at least three times and they had a lame excuse each time and a promise to be there in "5-7 minutes", which of course did not happen. The best part was informing the staff at Royal Pacific about this and having the reaction be a collective, "Wow, really? Bummer." Not exactly going above and beyond to remedy the situation.

This is in line with my experience with the shuttle - except mine was an hour+ wait on the way BACK TO THE AIRPORT!!! After two panicked calls, I boarded the shuttle 45 minutes before my flight was due to board. It had me slightly stressed to say the least. No one at the hotel seemed to care. I called guest services after I got home and the rep on the phone was sympathetic, but I never heard back from Universal about the issue. It took three more phone calls to finally get someone to offer me a refund.

Wow, I'm sorry that happened to you! Well, that's the last time I ever use that shuttle service. Even just hopping in a cab would be a better option. Good grief.

Loved your trip report! Do you (or anyone else) have any tips/tricks on using the interactive wands? We're going in two weeks for our first ever Universal visit. My DD and Nephew who will both be 11 are so excited about the wands. Does it take a long time to stop and do the spells? I know when they did SOTMK at Disney, sometimes there was a decent size line in some of the spots. Is this similar with HP?

April is a great time to go to the darkside.
you had some ups and downs but sounds like the trip was a winner for the family!

Loved your trip report! Do you (or anyone else) have any tips/tricks on using the interactive wands? We're going in two weeks for our first ever Universal visit. My DD and Nephew who will both be 11 are so excited about the wands. Does it take a long time to stop and do the spells? I know when they did SOTMK at Disney, sometimes there was a decent size line in some of the spots. Is this similar with HP?

We usually go about the same time...my kids could happily spend a whole day running around doing spells :) Sometimes you will find lines, but at that time of the year, we've never seen a spell line longer than 5 people. There are so many spots, you can also hit another and come back to one later if it's a busy one.

As for tips, when you find a spell spot, look for the camera (usually you can see a red light), point the wand at it. Make your wand movements with just your wrist and hand. The smaller the movement the better. If you make your movements too large, you go out of the camera's view.

Seriously.

Look, I'm not one for hyperbole but the Harry Potter themed areas of Universal Studios must be the best in the world. For a Potter-phile it is simply a must. I was blown away by Diagon Alley, simply blown away. And not even because of the ride. The rides are absolutely secondary, even though they are great. I mean the immersion. It is breathtaking, truly.

So we just got back. We were there from Wednesday (though that doesn't count as we did not arrive until Wednesday night at 10pm and basically went straight to sleep). We stayed at the Royal Pacific resort, more on that in a minute. It was me, DH, DS9 and DD6. We haven't been to Universal since Hogsmeade opened. Short kids, not enough for them to do, etc. etc. Plus we are DVC members so we always go to Disney. However, with Disney not offering enough new experiences and Universal having the big P (Potter) we decided to go back. My son finally finished the series and was on his second reread. I wanted him to know the story completely when we went.

So first things first, the resort. We've stayed at Royal Pacific before and it's nice, but nothing to write home about. We are already planning to do Portofino next visit. We are used to one bedroom DVC villas and the last one we stayed at was Grand Floridian so this was going to pale. We had a split reservation due to room availability, I guess, and they couldn't make it into all one reservation. I wouldn't say they went above and beyond to try to fix this, which was a mild pain because our room charge cards stopped working in the middle of the park the next day (because we had a new room we needed to check into) and we needed to re-check in and re-do express passes after our first park day on Thursday. It wasn't the end of the world but it was a bit of a pain to have to get up really early to do the early entrance and also pack our stuff up and leave it at the concierge. Just an extra thing to do when we were all tired from getting in so late the night before. And about that late night, the Universal shuttle we took from the airport was well over half an hour late. We called at least three times and they had a lame excuse each time and a promise to be there in "5-7 minutes", which of course did not happen. The best part was informing the staff at Royal Pacific about this and having the reaction be a collective, "Wow, really? Bummer." Not exactly going above and beyond to remedy the situation. In fact, they seemed surprised that there even WAS a Universal shuttle, which was a little startling. But again, more a mild pain and nothing that would ruin the trip.

But the parks themselves, specifically Diagon Alley, were what we were there for and they did not disappoint. Diagon Alley is simply stunning and it is world class in every way. I ate at the Leaky Cauldron for almost every meal and they were the best meals I had. I prefer it to the Three Broomsticks, which we ate at multiple times on our last trip. Hogsmeade in general always seemed more packed than DA. I am not sure if that's because there are more rides in Hogsmeade or because its smaller or what, but that's what I found. However, I preferred DA by a whole lot. As I said before if there's a better immersive theme park experience, I haven't visited it. So back to the Leaky Cauldron, I loved the food and I loved the smaller environment. We moved on from there to Florean Fortescue's, which we visited every day of the three days we were there. Incidentally, I tried to order Butterbeer ice cream with a topping and they said they can't put anything on it because its trademarked. So I changed my order. I had Chocolate Chili, Clotted Cream ice cream and Strawberry Peanut Butter each of the three days we were there. I'd recommend all of these.

Gringott's was a 45 minute wait made longer when the ride went down but the theming was so great and the weather so pleasant I didn't think it was too long. The ride itself was awesome, even with my tendency for motion sickness. Forbidden Journey is a no go for me but this one I didn't get any motion sickness on. I rode it twice (though not in a row). DS is also motion sickness prone but had no trouble. DD won't do any rides that make her "tummy feel weird" so she waited in the parent swap. She also didn't much love the dragon shooting the fire out of his mouth on the top of the bank but I thought it was amazing. I think it was a little too real for her.

Beyond the Potter-verse, the rest of the park is clean and pleasant, but nowhere near as incredible. That's not to say it isn't fun though. The Mummy is as good as remembered (it did make DS a little queasy though) but the real fun for him began on Rip Ride Rockit. He just hit 51 inches this year so this was his first time riding this ride. I LOVE that he'll do the thrill rides. Just a few short years ago, he was riding Woody Woodpecker six times in a row and look at him now. Anyway, I rode with him the first time and despite my mom-spazz that he be as secure as possible in his cart, he did GREAT. He picked some song by No Doubt while I went with Beastie Boys. I wasn't sure what he would think of it given that he was more "meh" on the Mummy, but he LOVED it and it was his favorite ride hands down. In fact, when DD and DH went back to the hotel to rest, DS and I hit the park again because we hadn't gotten enough of Diagon Alley and Rip Ride Rockit. We wandered through Diagon Alley after eating at the Leaky Cauldron again (another great meal) and he selected an interactive wand which has to be the single greatest theme park souvenir ever invented. It's totally genius. ALL he wanted to do with his Elder Wand was find magic spots and practice. I had to drag him on Gringott's again (20 minute wait!). Then we hit RRR in the dark. It was even better than the first ride. In fact, it wasn't until our fourth time riding on our last day that we had a bum ride….last row. It rattled my sinuses so much and made him motion sick. Bum cart? Last row? I don't know.

DD managed to find stuff to do despite her hesitation about rides. She discovered Woody Woodpecker and rode it 18 times over three days. Yes, 18 times. Its the first coaster she has truly loved, just like DS. God bless Woody Woodpecker. It's even better the Goofy's Barnstormer though I'm not sure why. She also liked the MiB Alien Attack ride and the Minions. But her heart belonged to Woody. Sure, she had some great moments on the Pterandon Flyers, but that line is so frustrating you just can't go on it again and again once it gets crowded. Anything over 20 minutes, forget it. It loads too slowly and only two at a time. But it is a great ride and she did love it.

Which bring me to my whine about DD. She would not ride the Flying Hippogriff. Her eagle eye determined it was faster than Woody (she's right, but whatever) and we could not get her on it. So at Islands of Adventure, besides Pterandon and Dr. Suessland she sat around a whole lot and waited for us to ride. I'm not sure how much fun that could have possibly been but she is a cautious, stubborn child. I almost didn't get her on Woody. But I'm patient and hopefully she'll be ready next time.

Islands of Adventure was a great time for DS. He rode everything. Jurassic Park River Adventure remains one of his favorite rides ever (mine too, come to think of it) and we rode it 5 or so times. We had a lucky streak of getting front row multiple times which was even better. Then he rode Dudley Do-Right and Popeye's twice in a row. He was absolutely soaked and so were we. Which brings me to a gripe. We had regular lanyards to carry our cards in and our paper Express passes and park tickets got totally soaked. Why paper tickets? Why isn't the express pass tied to the hotel key? I thought it used to be? I know not all the hotels let you do Express Pass anymore but surely there's a way around this. No need for so many tickets and paper ones at that.

Getting back to food, besides Leaky Cauldron we ate at Mythos (good food, slow service) and Cowfish. We enjoyed Cowfish and it was really refreshing NOT to have a bunch of reservations in advance. There is truly something to be said for winging it. I'm glad we tried this place, as I would have been happy just eating at Leaky Cauldron every meal. I very nearly did.

We finished out the trip hanging at the pool at RPR. I can't understand why the parks close at 6 on Saturday after closing at 7 (IOA) and 8:30 (US) during the week. But it worked out for us as I was dead on my feet after three days and just wanted to sit by the pool. But seriously, RPR, no pool slide? Really? This is another reason I'm going to go back to Portofino Bay. My kids love the pool and specifically pool slides. It didn't even occur to me that there wouldn't be one at RPR. BUT I did discover I am awesome at hula-hooping. I haven't done it since I was a kid but I still got it. I even got a small crowd around me cheering me on. Who knew? So we did end up having a great time by the pool and staying until they closed.

All in all, the trip was great and end of April is a GREAT time to go. It was more crowded Friday and Saturday but Thursday was awesome and the WEATHER. We last went in August which was utterly dreadful. It was a breezy 82-85 degrees every day this time. We will definitely be returning this time of year.
Very helpful - thank you for your report! :)

Another big agree on the total immersion of the Harry Potter areas. I absolutely love it there!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter