Its Tough To Be A Bug Scary

I guess if you're a first timer and have no idea what the attraction entails, it's understandable. But there are definitely parents who've experienced the ride before who still take their very young children on it. It's obvious that big spiders flying down, and cockroaches crawling up your posterior are not going to make young kids happy.

[QUOTE="Miffy, post: 56965132, member: 44252"Ditto the Behind the Seeds tour at The Land pavilion. The first 5 minutes of the tour are close-up encounters with insects.[/QUOTE]

Huh. We took this tour about a year ago and there were no insects at any point in the tour. Plants and fish--that was it.

[QUOTE="Miffy, post: 56965132, member: 44252"Ditto the Behind the Seeds tour at The Land pavilion. The first 5 minutes of the tour are close-up encounters with insects.

Huh. We took this tour about a year ago and there were no insects at any point in the tour. Plants and fish--that was it.[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear it! I took the tour maybe 10 years ago, and there were only 2 other people with me. The first 5 minutes of the tour took place in a room with a lot of tanks with insects in them and a film about how insects affect plants was shown. I wanted to run away! But I stayed (not watching, btw) and saw the rest of the tour, which was fascinating. If they've gotten rid of the insect part, I consider that a plus!

I loved it, but when we took our then-4 year old to see it, he was terrified. It's really loud and dark, and there is a giant evil grasshopper (Hopper) who is pretty menacing. It scarred him enough that he still never wants to go see it - and he's 13 now! :)
We had a similar experience. Went first time when our daughter was around 8 or so and she refuses to go back on. It isn't necessarily "scary," but it is dark and if you don't like bugs then likely won't like the experience.

We took our girls to see it on our very first trip. They were 9 and 5. It was our first park and first 3D/4D attraction and we had no idea what to expect. Both my girls were terrified and cried through the whole show. "But I don't want to be exterminated, Mommy!" It was BAD! Fast forward to now..... they are 16 and 12 now and were finally ready to try it again on our trip in December. They loved it this time (and had seen the movie since, so that helped), but there were many screaming and crying children in the audience.

It is the only thing I ever carried my child out of crying in fear, not just at Disney, but anywhere, ever. She wasn't a child who was scared of much of anything. Our first trip she had just turned 5. SM, ToT, Haunted mansion, no problem she loved them all and wanted more. Characters, scary scenes in movies, ect never bothered her. As soon as Hopper came out, it was OVER. She was terrified and crawling all over me to get away. She is 13, and we have never cared to go back.

We took DD on ITTBAB when she was 8 and found out then that she has a serious spider phobia (never knew before). She wigged out when the huge spiders descended from the ceiling. She is 18 now and still won't go near the show.

The effects and visuals are pretty intense, especially for little ones or people who are creeped out by bugs. There have been at least one or two crying, screaming kids at each show we have ever been to.

We tried with Daughter. Similar story. Loved Haunted Mansion, Splash MOuntain, Pirates of Caribbean, was so/so on Everest. Freaked out a couple minutes into bug story and we were heading for the exit. Shrug.

Our family enjoyed it. My kids first time on it was about 8 or 9 (on the same trip they were terrified on Dino, won't go on Haunted Mansion, etc). We've been bummed because we've been skipping it on our short trips for the last few years and my DD is begging to go on it again.

Our next trip is with my niece, who will be 3.5 years. I gather this is one of those things we should do WITHOUT my niece?

It's more of a "jump scare" than anything else. I wouldn't bring small kids to it, but that's just me.

We took DD on ITTBAB when she was 8 and found out then that she has a serious spider phobia (never knew before). She wigged out when the huge spiders descended from the ceiling. She is 18 now and still won't go near the show.

The effects and visuals are pretty intense, especially for little ones or people who are creeped out by bugs. There have been at least one or two crying, screaming kids at each show we have ever been to.
I also have a spider phobia. A serious one. I have never seen the show. But my husband did.

According to him, he wasn't surprised at all that children were leaving. It was pretty creepy, according to him.

I've never really been able to figure that out myself. It's got some moments that are jumpy but I wouldn't call it scary. Not any more than I call Haunted Mansion scary.

I guess if you're a first timer and have no idea what the attraction entails, it's understandable. But there are definitely parents who've experienced the ride before who still take their very young children on it. It's obvious that big spiders flying down, and cockroaches crawling up your posterior are not going to make young kids happy.
No it is not. Plenty of kids aren't scared by that. And even if they are, if you have never had your child in a place where they encountered either thing and you aren't bothered by it how would you think they would be.

[QUOTE="Miffy, post: 56965132, member: 44252"Ditto the Behind the Seeds tour at The Land pavilion. The first 5 minutes of the tour are close-up encounters with insects.

Huh. We took this tour about a year ago and there were no insects at any point in the tour. Plants and fish--that was it.[/QUOTE]
We did the tour last year. You spend a lot of time with insects. The first bit of the tour is learning how they use some wasps to control some type of fly. You didn't have that part? It was the first stop for us

If you are a person who can be startled, and laugh about it, you'll be golden at ITTBAB. OTOH, if you're the type of person who experiences sheer terror at such things as bugs & a little squirt in the face, spend the time at AK at a different attraction.

We did the tour last year. You spend a lot of time with insects. The first bit of the tour is learning how they use some wasps to control some type of fly. You didn't have that part? It was the first stop for us

Nope, nothing about wasps or flies. But I find that tours can vary depending on the guide you have that day, so I imagine that's what happened. We enjoyed it quite a bit, regardless.

Honestly I, Hopper, think the thing that scares small humans the most is all the big humans screaming.
Flik? ......... everyone loves Flik (insert my bug eyes rolling), not sure why.
Butterflies .... those colored moths? Who is afraid of them?
Four Eye Chili .... what is he doing? farting darts.
The very little terminator - looks like a alien dustbuster .... with a spray.
Nobody cares when they get soaked on Kali River? What's a few drops? Do you scream in Muppets 3D?
Many of the things us bugs do ... like stink bug, are typical human humor. Stinky gas, that's all.
Spiders, never even saw them the first few times.
Humans in front half up by me are usually so engulfed in smoke you can't see the lovely widows in the sky.
At least until some man screams like a little girl and tries to shield himself with his young human.
Yeah .... now she starts crying. Thanks Dad.
Then I suppose I get a little cranky but you know there are two sides to every story ...
Once Upon a Time? Wicked? You get the picture.
The scariest part of the whole show is when that long tongued lizard shows up!
But hey Flik ends it with an obnoxious cheerful and colorful Bug Broadway revue.

Still don't get why folks think we are scary .... don't blame us ...
.... it's those full grown screaming humans scaring all the crumb snatchers.

klxy.jpg

Thanks Hopper for YOUR input! :)

When I took my just-turned-five year old I prepared him ahead of time by talking about how we're going to see Robot Hopper. "People scream but we know it's a Robot Hopper, not the real Hopper" and how Robot Hopper tries to trick us with fake spiders. I covered his face during the spray and pulled him up onto my lap to avoid the sting. He seemed fine during it. As we left he said he liked it but "I don't ever want to do THAT. AGAIN."

My experience. Took my niece who was 7 or 8 at the time. Before we even went inside I explained tgat it was the bugs from the movie and no real bugs would be in there. She was fine. Lights go down and it starts...enter full blown melt down. My sister and I had no idea it would cause this. I mean she wouldn't stop crying. To this day I am not sure what happened. I almost got her calmed down before the end and that is when they make the announcement for the bugs or whatever to leave and it feels like they are crawling under you. Again, full blown panic. The child literally sat with her head buried in my side crying.

There is a part where it puffs of air are blown out toward the audience, then Hopper, the loud noises. I guess just sensory overload.

She had never, ever reacted this way over anything.
a few years later when she was 12 we went again..no problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter