It's only 1600 miles! - First Road Trip to WDW - June 2016 PTR (COMPLETED)

DH-2-mamaduck

DisDad#446 - Family of 7 from MN
WDW - June 2016 Road Trip - PTR

How it came to be:
My two DD's have been talking non-stop about going back to WDW since 2014. We were looking at a beach vacation but all 5 of the kids said "DISNEY WORLD!" We just happened to get a UOC in the mail (we get like 4 or 5 PIN's a year to keep teasing us) that gave us a discount and free Hopper. I told myself Never again in June as it is a bit hot for my liking - there is a reason I live above the 45th parallel....but for my birthday and for fathers day, I get to go to WDW with my lovely DW and 5 wonderful children. This is the first trip we are going to drive to WDW, after all, it is only 1600 miles.
:drive:>:(8-):P:D:oops:o_O

Now keep in mind, this is not our first road-trip. We have always been making road trips. Every kid started out making 5-6 hour trips a few times each year to visit family. Then we have been taking longer trips: Black Hills & Devils Tower. Gateway/StL Arch & Nashville, Washington DC & Atlantic City, Way-West to CA and back hitting up parks & monuments along the way. That last trip was 10 days and 5000 miles in the car!

There have also been family trips to Orlando/Daytona Beach and Las Vegas due to competitive Gymnastics meets.

Previous WDW & DL Trips:

Disneyland 2003
81732ec5-1d9b-4019-82d0-4ef6e111d396_zpsdb6bfba0.jpg

Disneyland 2005
HPIM3056.jpg

Disney World 2006
Picture092.jpg

Picture091.jpg

Disney World 2009
DSC00088.jpg

Disney World 2014
IMG_5371_zps1e494011.jpg

WDW June 2016 - Happy Father's Day!

When:
June ~10/11 - 20/21, 2016
Who: Party of 7 (Me + DW and our 5 Kidlets)
Where: Pop Century x 2 Rooms

Why Pop Century? Well, did you notice I'm a family of 7? 2 joining rooms at Pop is the best deal (frugal side of me - "We just sleep there"). Plus Pop is a nice resort to roam at night and look at all the cool buildings. Several pools as well to choose from to go swimming in. Plus you can stroll over to Art of Animation resort and look at its buildings and statuary.

IMG_5239_zps19599b9c.jpg

Average Temperature for June:

Hi: 91 (HOT!!!!)
Lo: 71 (that's more like it)
Avg. Rain: 7.35"

Sunrise/Sunset:
6:28 am - 8:24 pm

Weekly Itinerary
(to the day, but not to the minute)
- 24 hours in car to get to FL :drive:
- 8.5 days at WDW! :yay:
- 1 day to go eat Cake by the Ocean :cool1:
- 24 hours in the car to get home :drive:

ADR's - Now Seating Party of 7 (I'm Gluten & Dairy Sensitive)
  • Kona Cafe
  • Yak & Yeti
  • Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant

Last edited:
First ADR made (Coral Reef). DD's are making requests. Two littlest ones want H&V...I ask the oldest two where they want to eat and I get: With Sophia the 1st! and Akershus with Princesses and Chef Mickey's....

Saw the invite over on the Dads board, so...

How it came to be: My two DD's have been talking non-stop about going back to WDW since 2014.

They seem intelligent.

I told myself Never again in June as it is a bit hot for my liking

Try August.

I never knew concrete could melt.

This is the first trip we are going to drive to WDW, after all, it is only 1600 miles.

Sure. That's short.
We did 2,000 miles when DDs were 4 & 8.
1,600 miles? Piece of cake.

One year ago today:

Click image for Video:

:laughing: Cute video. I laughed at the littlest ones getting right up on the table.
"You got us matching bracelets?" :lmao:

Sure. That's short.
We did 2,000 miles when DDs were 4 & 8.
1,600 miles? Piece of cake.

They are pro road trippers by now. Last year was our biggest road trip yet. 10 days, 5000 miles from MN to CA and back! "Hey look, more rocks! Let's go look at them"

So was excited that we could get in to Be Our Guest but looking at menu and it closer...eh, is it just the experience - which doesn't sound too exciting. Am I missing something?

They are pro road trippers by now. Last year was our biggest road trip yet. 10 days, 5000 miles from MN to CA and back! "Hey look, more rocks! Let's go look at them"

Yep. That qualifies!

So was excited that we could get in to Be Our Guest but looking at menu and it closer...eh, is it just the experience - which doesn't sound too exciting. Am I missing something?

Hmmm... depends. Breakfast, lunch or dinner?
Assuming lunch, since it seems to be the most common, the French Onion soup is really good. I've heard good things about the Tuna Nicoise salad (but it's not my thing, so couldn't say.) The turkey sandwich was a big hit with one of my readers and looked good on her TR. I really liked the Braised Pork, but DD14 found it too rich. The Master's cupcake was totally decadent, but most really like it. YMMV.

Hmmm... depends. Breakfast, lunch or dinner?
Assuming lunch, since it seems to be the most common, the French Onion soup is really good. I've heard good things about the Tuna Nicoise salad (but it's not my thing, so couldn't say.) The turkey sandwich was a big hit with one of my readers and looked good on her TR. I really liked the Braised Pork, but DD14 found it too rich. The Master's cupcake was totally decadent, but most really like it. YMMV.

I think it would be fine for me - it is always DW questioning the menus for the kids. I have to look at it again and ready through all the options. We were looking for Lunch.

Kids made a list:

• akershus-royal-banquet-hall-00.jpg

Akershus Royal Banquet Hall
    Buffet/Family Style, Casual Dining, Character Dining$$$, American, NorwegianEpcot, World Showcase1792 Reviews
    Table Service

• aloha-isle-gallery04.jpg

Aloha Isle
    Counter Service$, AmericanMagic Kingdom Park, Adventureland
    Quick Service

• beaches-and-cream-soda-shop-00.jpg

Beaches & Cream Soda Shop
    Casual Dining$, AmericanDisney's Beach Club Resort
    Table Service

• chef-mickeys-00-thumb.jpg

Chef Mickey's
    Buffet/Family Style, Character Dining$$$, AmericanDisney's Contemporary Resort3380 Reviews
    Table Service

• coral-reef-restaurant-00.jpg

Coral Reef Restaurant
    Unique/Themed Dining$$, American, SeafoodEpcot, Future World2214 Reviews
    Table Service

• hollywood-and-vine-gallery05.jpg

Hollywood & Vine
    Buffet/Family Style, Character Dining$$ ($15 to $29.99), $$$ ($30 to $59.99), AmericanDisney's Hollywood Studios, Echo Lake1575 Reviews
    Table Service

• kona-cafe-00.jpg

Kona Cafe
    Casual Dining$ ($14.99 and under), $$ ($15 to $29.99), American, SeafoodDisney's Polynesian Village Resort1569 Reviews
    Table Service

• le-cellier-steakhouse-00.jpg

Le Cellier Steakhouse
    Fine/Signature Dining$$$, American, SteakhouseEpcot, World Showcase1993 Reviews
    Table Service

• rainforest-cafe-animal-kingdom-00.jpg

Rainforest Cafe® at Disney's Animal Kingdom
    Unique/Themed Dining$$, AmericanDisney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park, Main Entrance - Disney's Animal Kingdom
    Table Service

• restaurantosaurus-00-new.jpg

Restaurantosaurus
    Counter Service$, AmericanDisney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park, DinoLand U.S.A.
    Quick Service

• san-angel-inn-restaurante-00.jpg

San Angel Inn Restaurante
    Unique/Themed Dining$$, MexicanEpcot, World Showcase1084 Reviews
    Table Service

• sci-fi-dine-in-theater-00.jpg

Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater Restaurant
    Unique/Themed Dining$$, AmericanDisney's Hollywood Studios, Commissary Lane2387 Reviews
    Table Service

• morimoto-asia-05.jpg

The Sushi Bar at Morimoto Asia
    Dining EventsPrices Vary, SushiDisney Springs, The Landing
    Table Service, Dining Event

• t-rex-prehistoric-family-adventure-00.jpg

T-REX ™
    Unique/Themed Dining$$, AmericanDisney Springs, Marketplace6435 Reviews
    Table Service

• yak-and-yeti-restaurant-00.jpg

Yak & Yeti™ Restaurant
    Unique/Themed Dining$$, Multiple CuisinesDisney's Animal Kingdom Theme Park, Asia1716 Reviews
    Table Service

Just measured DD(3) who will be 4 in April... 41.25" with shoes! This opens up a lot more rides she can go on! DD(5yo 3 mo) is almost 47"

Rides DD(3) can now go on:
  • The Barnstormer (35")
  • Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (38")
  • Dinosaur (40")
  • Soarin' (40")
  • Star Tours (40")
  • Test Track (40")
  • Stitch's Great Escape (40")
  • The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror (40")
  • Splash Mountain (40")
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (40")
DD(5) Can go on:
  • Expedition Everest (44")
  • Mission Space (44")
  • Space Mountain (44")

DD(5) I'm sure won't grow 1" in 3 months, so she'll have to wait for Rock N Roller Coaster.
  • Primeval Whirl (48")
  • Rock 'N" Roller Coaster (48")

Joining in. So far your plans are looking great but you might have to stay a month to get in all those requests in for Dining. :rotfl2:

I have never done a road trip to Disney before but then I have been taking my kids individually due to cost. I am planning on taking 3 next June so I will be paying attention to your TR for tips. It might be more economical for me to drive from Chicago to Orlando but I am not sure if my 10 year old mini van will make the trip. I will be keeping an eye on prices of planes and rental vehicles next year to see what I end up doing.
:coffee:

Joining in. So far your plans are looking great but you might have to stay a month to get in all those requests in for Dining. :rotfl2:
Yeah, we will narrow down. DW and I already kicked Le Cellier off.

I have never done a road trip to Disney before but then I have been taking my kids individually due to cost. I am planning on taking 3 next June so I will be paying attention to your TR for tips. It might be more economical for me to drive from Chicago to Orlando but I am not sure if my 10 year old mini van will make the trip. I will be keeping an eye on prices of planes and rental vehicles next year to see what I end up doing.

We are driving, at the sake of our sanity, for the $$ savings. ~$275/ticket x 7 = $2k (best case). Driving = $500 in fuel round trip (assuming we avg 18 mpg in the Suburban - usually >18). We leave Friday morning and stop in N-Illinois and visit my grandma for the afternoon and spend the night. Then spend 1 night at hotel $300....arrive Sunday at WDW. $300 for the hotel night on trip home. I should save $800-900 by driving because of our family size and will be a fun road trip. We plan on hitting Coco Beach for a day mid-vacation, so we can drive there and back.

I know a few people that when they go on the road trips, they get a rental vehicle. From Chicago, easy 1-day drive. What Make/Model minivan (2006?) and how many miles on it?

Ironing out the schedule today so I can start making more ADR's (Kona Cafe on the books)- usually pretty straight forward, but not so this year - maybe because we are there for 8 days. We plan to take a day off in the middle of the trip and drive to Coco Beach for the day - Anyone else do that? I haven't looked yet at where to go, but looks like most logical place to go as quickest....otherwise we could go to St Pete's on the gulf side. Any Suggestions?

We plan to take a day off in the middle of the trip and drive to Coco Beach for the day - Anyone else do that?

I've heard of a few peeps that have done Coco Beach.
Usually before or after, though. Not during.

otherwise we could go to St Pete's on the gulf side. Any Suggestions?

Did Tarpon Springs a million years ago and enjoyed it.

I've heard of a few peeps that have done Coco Beach.
Usually before or after, though. Not during.

Yeah, a bit odd mid trip. We were going to do it at the end, but a one day mid trip will work out well then I can spend Fathers Day at the parks.

Well, the schedule hasn't changed and no new ADR's - struggling this trip a bit of what to choose. Really just looking to make one more ADR for Father's day. Thinking we spend it at MK. Could do Be Our Guest or Crystal Palace.

Anyone eat Be Our Guest for breakfast? How was it? I see possibly one advantage...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter