• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is Walt Disney World going to 100% security screenings at the parks?

Anyone can fly the Flag at half staff on their own property at any time.

AKK

True. Generally, businesses comply with the president's orders. The Disney release just seemed odd, as if it was making the order itself instead of following the presedent's.

We are scheduled to leave this sunday so I spoke to guest services yesterday about security, and they told me NO ONE was armed, not even the police on disney grounds...

And the truth is if what if someone gave up to line with suicide vest ? people are looking for guns and the obvious, but no one is really thinking outside of the box on this IMHO....

If true, it is very foolish.

If true, it is very foolish.

I called yesterday, spoke to man for about 5 minutes. Perhaps they were referring to security officers that work for disney not carrying guns....would be odd if they are taking guns away from police in the parks IMO

Do what? Birkas are not costumes. Not sure why you are comparing the two
Besides, been in the parks a lot and can count on 1 hand, with fingers left over, how many birkas I've seen

Does not matter how many you have seen......how can people continue to be this ignorant...I do not care if you are wearing flip flops and a jimmy buffet shirt you should be scanned, body checked etc....

I called yesterday, spoke to man for about 5 minutes. Perhaps they were referring to security officers that work for disney not carrying guns....would be odd if they are taking guns away from police in the parks IMO
Just to be sure, you are aware just how little knowledge they give to CM who answer the phone?

Does not matter how many you have seen......how can people continue to be this ignorant...I do not care if you are wearing flip flops and a jimmy buffet shirt you should be scanned, body checked etc....
And you just made my point. What you are wearing is not a factor.

We are scheduled to leave this sunday so I spoke to guest services yesterday about security, and they told me NO ONE was armed, not even the police on disney grounds...

Whoever you spoke to was misinformed. There are Orange County and FHP officers on property all the time and they are armed. Disney Security is not armed.

If nobody was allowed to have guns, nobody would need to have guns. It sounds too simple doesn't it? When will everyone wake up? Full security is not a bad thing until laws are changed

If nobody was allowed to have guns, nobody would need to have guns. It sounds too simple doesn't it? When will everyone wake up? Full security is not a bad thing until laws are changed
Might sound great in theory, but how do you get rid of 300.000,000 guns in a country where people care more about this right than any other. It's impossible.

You can't uninvent a thousand year old device. And, its not really that simple, France, Belgium, the UK have all experienced attacks with real, actual machine guns even though guns are heavily restricted or almost entirely banned in those countries. The attacker chose a gun-free zone where he knew everyone, by law, would be unarmed. After reading a few articles posted above, the attacker reportedly had around 3 hours (2AM-5AM) to finish off his victims, which he could have done with grandpa's revolver in that amount of time. The big untold story story may be the amount of time it took the police to move in. We learned at Columbine that an active shooter should not be allowed to leisurely kill his victims without opposition. The current doctrine is that police are supposed to try to neutralize active shooters as soon as they can. I would like to hear more about what was actually done by police.

That's a damn shame that Disney springs was "this" close to being the place where this happened. I'm glad it didn't but still heartbroken that the incident even happened in the first place.

I heard there were 13 cast members unaccounted for, does anyone know if one of the victims was a cast member? I'm only curious for Disneys sake. Shame about the forbidden journey worker, I'm glad they closed it last night to honor him

That's a damn shame that Disney springs was "this" close to being the place where this happened. I'm glad it didn't but still heartbroken that the incident even happened in the first place.

I heard there were 13 cast members unaccounted for, does anyone know if one of the victims was a cast member? I'm only curious for Disneys sake. Shame about the forbidden journey worker, I'm glad they closed it last night to honor him

The news said this morning only 1 person was not Id'd.

AKK

Last edited:

No one except Disney Police is allowed guns in the park. I believe even those are kept locked up. If ANYONE tells security they have a gun at the gate. The weapon is taken and locked in a locker in the security areas behind the scenes. A while ago a Police Officer had one and it somehow got loose of him on I believe big Thunder, and it was found on the seat. At least that is what was in a small article.

AKK

Just a question...
Why don't they do security screening before people board transportation?
That would prevent such a huge backlog of people in one concentrated area. Screen folks when they get into line before boarding the monorail at the hotels. Screen folks when getting into line before boarding the boats. At some of the hotels, I am sure they could design the waiting areas for the buses to have one entrance with a variety of exits to screen before boarding. Obviously, some of the resorts can't accommodate that, so those buses should drop off in a different space where the screening could occur. For the cars/parking lots, maybe there is a way to move the screening further away from the gates in order to keep the access separate....
I know the costs of the screening would skyrocket because of the personnel/devices required, but the backlog would be much smaller and the wait time to enter would likely decrease. Plus, if there was a problem, there would be fewer guests exposed.

And the truth is if what if someone gave up to line with suicide vest ? people are looking for guns and the obvious, but no one is really thinking outside of the box on this IMHO....

That is not true. Uniformed OC Sheriffs Deputies that work at the entrances of each park and other locations are clearly armed. See them all the time. She likely meant off duty Police. They are not allowed to carry

My family went to MK today. We are Disney veterans and have never felt unsafe, but today I was a little on edge. We took a bus from Saratoga Springs. There was a Cast Member at the resort bus stop, presumably to give people wait times. I have seen these people doing this in the past, but they are not always there. I guess it takes a lot of man power to have someone stationed at each bus stop. When we arrived at MK around 10:30am, there was a HUGE mass of people waiting to go through bag check and then the wristband scanners. There were several K-9 units as well as regular police and many Disney security guards. Truth be told, I was VERY nervous while waiting to go in. I moved my kids over to the side near guest services while we waited on my husband to come through bag check so we were not standing in the middle of the crowd. I do wish there was some way to check people before boarding the transportation so as not to create such a bottleneck at the park entrance.

All this being said, I will continue to come to WDW, and enjoy my time here. I will not let the actions of radical people influence my choices, but I will be more cautious. My heartfelt condolences go to the LGBT community and Orlando.

Just a question...
Why don't they do security screening before people board transportation?
That would prevent such a huge backlog of people in one concentrated area. Screen folks when they get into line before boarding the monorail at the hotels. Screen folks when getting into line before boarding the boats. At some of the hotels, I am sure they could design the waiting areas for the buses to have one entrance with a variety of exits to screen before boarding. Obviously, some of the resorts can't accommodate that, so those buses should drop off in a different space where the screening could occur. For the cars/parking lots, maybe there is a way to move the screening further away from the gates in order to keep the access separate....
I know the costs of the screening would skyrocket because of the personnel/devices required, but the backlog would be much smaller and the wait time to enter would likely decrease. Plus, if there was a problem, there would be fewer guests exposed.

What about the resorts where guests can walk to a park? And people that drive or take taxis? And how would you do something like that at the resorts with the outlying bus stops and no queues? Make buildings for the queues, and staff them so no one can jump the line? That would cost a ton of money to do! Between CBR, CSR, and POR alone you are talking about 16 check points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter