Is there really any planning to a UO trip?

kniquy

DIS Veteran
We are going to be doing a split - first 7 days WDW and 3 days UO -- I already booked RPR to get the unlimited express pass. I feel like I am doing something wrong with the UO portion of our trip because besides the room I am not planning anything. Am I doing something wrong or is this just how a UO trip is "planned". As we get closer we might look at one restaurant to do a nice sit down meal.

Does UO parks have shows that you can watch or are they pretty much a ride oriented theme park?

Am i missing something here or is a UO trip just a bit more laid back?

www.universalorlando.com

that is the site that will guide you in advance for your vacation at the darkside.

it will shows, rides, entertainment in the parks.

when you enter the parks, pick up the guidemaps as they will list all street shows and times.
regular inside shows will also have performance hours listed.

Horror Make Up Show is one of my favorites.
also the Blues Brothers street show is fun.

If you are used to the Disney D-Day logistic planning, then YES Universal is so laid back, especially with express pass! It's fantastic! As you get closer you can look at ride descriptions to get everyone excited. It's a great theme park to walk around, enjoy the sites (theming is incredible), and jump on rides.

I hope you enjoy the relaxed low key side!

IMHO, you are planning your trip out nicely by doing Uni for the last 3 days. The laid back nature of touring with the EP is awesome. And you certainly do not need to reserve restaurants 6 months in advance (or at all).

If you have the express pass you won't have to plan that much at all. Universal operates much more like a normal theme park and less like a resort, so you should have an easier time. However, I would plan on the Harry Potter stuff, as it is not included in the express pass. Best time to ride those are early morning or after dark.

I have never been to Universal during peak times so I can't speak on that however comparing a WDW to Universal trip in late January to mid February I can. Yes a trip to Universal is much more laid back. Its one of the reason why DH and I have been vacationing the last two years at Universal and going back for year three. Now if you are a super planner which many of us on disboards are there are items you can look into depending on your vacation habits and whose going. i.e. If there a picky eater then you can review the different places to dine. Make a list of the unique things to do/see at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter not to miss. Hints to help max out MIB. Those type of things.

Hehe. I love this question. This morning I planned our Disney trip and our Universal trip for this year. Our Disney trip is in September and I will start hard core planning in about 2 weeks for that. We are going to Universal this Tuesday, lol. I'll pack Monday.

We are doing a split stay next week, Universal three nights then Disney three nights. The trip is a gift for our 11 year old granddaughter and she picked the order of the trip. My husband and I went to Universal in November and stayed at RPR (and loved it!), which is where we will be again, so know how relaxed and easy the pace is, especially with the express pass. We have all been to Disney numerous times so aren't going to stress with the planning, we are there mid-week so hopefully the crowds won't be too crazy, we are doing MK and one other park (will just buy the tickets there), and with the new Universal ticket promo "buy two days get two days free" if granddaughter wants to go back to Universal on the last day rather than to another Disney park, that is fine with us!

We were there last week, 5 days at RPR. 2nd UO trip, 1st time staying onsite. We were originally supposed to take this trip in Sept but had to postpone so I had already purchased our AP's. I booked our room in early Dec at SF. I checked about once a week for a JP room at RPR and finally found one mid Jan. That was pretty much the extent of our "planning". I haven't even been on the boards keeping up with stuff for a really long time. About a week out I started reading restaurant threads to get ideas and started watching the uni edition podcasts to catch up.

No ADR's, no ride reservations, no itinerary. We woke up when we felt like it, walked to the parks when we were ready. Made our plans on the fly, changed them regularly and I didn't have to pull out my phone to reschedule anything. We rode what we wanted, when we wanted, as many times as we wanted. When we got hungry, we ate. DW and I couldn't get over how relaxing and stress free it was compared to our past Disney trips. It truly was magical :teeth:
We are supposed to go back in the fall yet here I am looking for dates in May because we can't wait to get back.:yay:

Love the way you plan/do the darkside trips

My way also

I book the room and that's it until I wake up each morning at the hotel

unlimited express is really nice, just make sure you ride all non express rides first thing because you will be spoiled not having to wait in line for the others.

This Disney loving family is being wooed away by the relaxing nature of a UO vacation. Staying at the HRH and the express passes makes it so wonderful! We only spend small chunks of time in the parks - with hardly any lines. We've learned to jump into the HP rides at times when the waits are low. The dark side rocks!

So much more laid back! I've been planning next month's Disney trip since about June of last year. I just booked a flight & hotel today for a trip to UO in April and now I'm done! I'll probably make a list of some must dos, but that's pretty much it. King Kong wasn't open last time I was there and neither was Toothsome. And the Jimmy Fallon ride will be opening up earlier in April, so I'll try to do that too.

As many suggested, UO doesn't require any where near the level of planning that a Disney trip does. Having said that, I suggest getting a good feel for the rides, attractions & shows and having a rough outline of what you want to do. Just showing up cold could cause you to miss out on many things. But an itinerary/touring plan really isn't needed.

As many suggested, UO doesn't require any where near the level of planning that a Disney trip does. Having said that, I suggest getting a good feel for the rides, attractions & shows and having a rough outline of what you want to do. Just showing up cold could cause you to miss out on many things. But an itinerary/touring plan really isn't needed.

Absolutely correct.

We always tell folks to check out the website and see where everything is just to give an idea of scale and park layout.......it's amazing sometimes folks who have never been and haven't done any research at all! Park layouts tell you where restrooms and other handy things too.

Stickies on here are another valuable tool.

We never plan anything at Universal.

We never plan anything at Universal.

I really like not planning, but after YEARS of Disney trips, I feel like I am doing something wrong for this upcoming vacation. I feel like there's something missing.. I haven't even thought about reservations for about places to eat yet!

I'd also point out that you can do the "pleasurable" side of planning, or at least what some of us find pleasurable--reading guides, websites, looking at maps, reading reviews, listening to podcasts (there are at least three I like for UO), deciding which things are at the top of you priority list ... it's more that you don't have to schedule things and then shape your days around food and ride appointments.

I really like not planning, but after YEARS of Disney trips, I feel like I am doing something wrong for this upcoming vacation. I feel like there's something missing.. I haven't even thought about reservations for about places to eat yet!

You're doing nothing wrong......honestly!

We know the place like the back of our hand, but we still love to read menus onsite and off as we spend a lot of time eating offsite......we always have a car though. So we spend our year looking forward to our next trip in different ways, plenty of ideas of what we want to do, just no plans........it's the only way for us to vacation!

We always have an idea of where we want to eat, especially if it's a new place.......but as for when we eat there, that just depends on what we do that day. HHN plays into our days too......so for us it depends if we decide to do a HHN or not where we eat.

This year we will be making one reservation as we are celebrating 2 special occasions.......probably be The Palm at HRH.....we love it there, and it gets busy even midweek. But that'll be the only one.

You'll have a blast I'm sure..........check the restaurant sticky out.......it has everything from the parks, hotels and Citywalk.......if you're going at a really busy time and have a definite place you want to eat at, then maybe make a reservation if it's a Saturday night. Other than that you can probably wing it.......:thumbsup2

You're doing nothing wrong......honestly!

We know the place like the back of our hand, but we still love to read menus onsite and off as we spend a lot of time eating offsite......we always have a car though. So we spend our year looking forward to our next trip in different ways, plenty of ideas of what we want to do, just no plans........it's the only way for us to vacation!

You'll have a blast I'm sure..........check the restaurant sticky out.......it has everything from the parks, hotels and Citywalk.......if you're going at a really busy time and have a definite place you want to eat at, then maybe make a reservation if it's a Saturday night. Other than that you can probably wing it.......:thumbsup2

Thanks Schumigirl! I don't think I am going at a busy time.. 2nd week in September before HHN starts, I believe. I also bought the meal plan because I like things pre-paid. The convenience outweighs the possibility of not saving money, so I will be eating most of my meals on-site :)

I have been reading a lot of menus. I always eat my first meal at Via Napoli in Epcot when I do WDW, but Epcot is usually not the first park I visit (It's usually AK for some reason). I like the fact that I can choose any restaurant and find it walking distance from either park I am in, I don't have to hop a bus to a monorail to a boat to go to dinner :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter