In Training: Marathon Weekend 2013 (Dopey Challenge)! 1/17 - LINK TO TRIP REPORT!

Congrats on the weight loss! I've been doing pretty good with maintaining my weight for the last few years. Certainly running has helped with that but I would like to lose a few more pounds that just won't budge. I know it comes down to eating better but with the holidays and long runs with training for the half that was not happening. A celebratory I-just-ran-over-10-miles beer and of course cookies and rich foods being all over the place these past few weeks has not done me any favors. Now that our vacation is in less than 10 days I'm going to try and be good until we're in Disney World. Then all bets are off while we're there!

Great job! Maintenance seems to be the hardest part...it certainly has been for me.

All bets are off when we're in Disney...HECK YEAH! :woohoo:

I'm right around there - but planning a little slower around 10:45/mile and planning on some character stops without big lines as well. If you want some slower company, I would be glad to run a while with you!

Yep, I'm definitely going to be going too slowly to run with you guys. I'll wave as you pass me! :wave:

Yep, I'm definitely going to be going too slowly to run with you guys. I'll wave as you pass me! :wave:

Well, you will have run a lot more miles on Friday and Saturday than I will have! I would be going very slowly if I was going Goofy (or Dopey, in your case)!

Well, you will have run a lot more miles on Friday and Saturday than I will have! I would be going very slowly if I was going Goofy (or Dopey, in your case)!

Yeah, I certainly don't anticipate breaking any records next weekend (!!!). :rotfl2:

Seriously, NEXT WEEKEND. AHHH! :eek: :woohoo:

Week 19: Run #2 (3 miles on the treadmill)
Thursday, January 3, 2013

9 miles completed/21 miles planned for the week
478.1 miles completed in training

ONE MORE WEEK ONE MORE WEEK ONE MORE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

@#&%(*#^%&(*@))!!!!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Oh yeah, I also ran 3 miles today.

BUT SERIOUSLY ONE MORE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ZOMGSQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :dance3:

IMG_3596.JPG

Continued in Next Post

I'm right around there - but planning a little slower around 10:45/mile and planning on some character stops without big lines as well. If you want some slower company, I would be glad to run a while with you!

I'll be wearing a Wonder Woman sparkle skirt and probably looking terrified! We can definitely start out together and see how it goes!

Congrats on the weight loss! Marathon training does make one hungry! "Panicky hunger" is a great description! :rotfl2:
I got done with my 18 miler last weekend and sent a text to my husband that I needed waffles. NOW! Sweet man made them for me from scratch as we were out of mix:love:

We leave one week from today too! They better still have Mickey 26.2 magnets when I get to the expo on Friday!

I just want to say, THANK YOU for your weight loss post. For me, the scale is not moving, and hasn't since I started running. And part of the reason is when I am training for a race, I am also doing what weight lifters refer to as "bulking". I'm trying to gain muscle all over--especially the legs--because I need them to be able to finish the race. I'm short (5'3") and still in the overweight range, but I have tried everything--Weight Watchers (no meetings near me, so that was a waste of $$), NutriSystem (lost 50 pounds, gained 60), but what has worked more is having my husband going through the same journey and us committing together. He's not running, but he is supportive in all of my running needs (who else would help lift a 300+ pound treadmill and take it in the house?)

One week until I leave too! OMG!!!!

AHHHHHH :banana: :banana: :banana:

I'll be wearing a Wonder Woman sparkle skirt and probably looking terrified! We can definitely start out together and see how it goes!

Cute! (The skirt, not being terrified.) You are going to have a BLAST!

Congrats on the weight loss! Marathon training does make one hungry! "Panicky hunger" is a great description! :rotfl2:
I got done with my 18 miler last weekend and sent a text to my husband that I needed waffles. NOW! Sweet man made them for me from scratch as we were out of mix:love:

We leave one week from today too! They better still have Mickey 26.2 magnets when I get to the expo on Friday!

Thanks! The husband gets all the credit for "panicky hungry." It's SO true. And OMG...aren't waffles so delicious? I'm not even talking about after running (but they are...that was my post-run food of choice after long runs), just in general. So sweet of your husband to make them for you!

The Mickey 26.2 magnets...they didn't have them when I went last year. :( Of course I didn't get to the expo until Saturday, so I'm hoping they will be there this year.

I just want to say, THANK YOU for your weight loss post. For me, the scale is not moving, and hasn't since I started running. And part of the reason is when I am training for a race, I am also doing what weight lifters refer to as "bulking". I'm trying to gain muscle all over--especially the legs--because I need them to be able to finish the race. I'm short (5'3") and still in the overweight range, but I have tried everything--Weight Watchers (no meetings near me, so that was a waste of $$), NutriSystem (lost 50 pounds, gained 60), but what has worked more is having my husband going through the same journey and us committing together. He's not running, but he is supportive in all of my running needs (who else would help lift a 300+ pound treadmill and take it in the house?)

Yeah, weight loss is so frustrating. :headache: I'm planning on hitting it a little harder after this upcoming trip. Did you ever try Weight Watchers online? I really like the program overall but am just not a fan of the meetings...sometimes I wonder if the online format is the way to go for me, but I really need the accountability of being expected to weigh in every week. That is where I got into trouble in the past, I think.

Anyway, that's great that your husband is going through it with you - hooray for teamwork! :banana: My husband is naturally very thin and has crazy insane metabolism, so while he's very encouraging and supportive we are definitely NOT on the same page when it comes to weight issues...:rotfl2: :sad:

So excited also but a little nervous for my first half!! We got into corral d with our tower of terror time!! We have a better time to submit so I'm hoping for a bump to corral C!!!! Did you notice the weather??!? High of 81 on saturday with a low of 59 and sunday is 82!!!! iIt could be a warm one.....

So excited also but a little nervous for my first half!! We got into corral d with our tower of terror time!! We have a better time to submit so I'm hoping for a bump to corral C!!!! Did you notice the weather??!? High of 81 on saturday with a low of 59 and sunday is 82!!!! iIt could be a warm one.....

Woohoo! You guys will have such a blast. I'll be curious to hear how you like it, especially after the Tower of Terror run.

I am only looking at Weather.com for weather right now and it has the high in the mid-70s...I'm trying not to worry about ti too much just yet. :)

Week 19: Run #3 (4-mile out-and-back)
Friday, January 4, 2013
Weather: high 20s with wind :( and sun :)

13 miles completed/21 miles planned for the week
482.1 miles completed in training

Splits:

Mile 1 - 10:08
Mile 2 - 10:14
Mile 3 - 10:09
Mile 4 - 10:07

Total time: 40:38 for 4 miles
Average pace: 10:10/mile

Notes:
Just TWO training runs left!!! :cool1:
The 5K is one week from TODAY! Woohoo! :banana:

I'm running out of pictures to use...so in honor of the 5K being one week from today, here's approximately where the 5K mark was on the old marathon course...Mexico in Epcot!
IMG_0292.jpg

Continued in Next Post

Week 19: Yoga
Saturday, January 5, 2013

Yes...the prodigal yogi has returned. :eek:

There's a studio a couple of towns over that I have been wanting to try for about a year now, and I just hadn't pulled the trigger. I was reading a thread about New Year's resolutions on another board that I follow and a lot of them involved yoga. Suddenly I thought, "hey, yoga sounds good!" So I went back to the studio's page and found that they had opened a second location super close to my house. On a whim, I signed up for a class.

I LOVED it. :) The class was called Warm Yoga Flow - the "warm" part means that the studio was heated to 80-85 degrees (which felt amazing) and the flow itself was for all levels, so it sounded good for me. I made a few mistakes (wearing a cotton shirt and not having a yoga towel - bad idea for a "warm" class, and I should have pulled my hair back more securely) and in hindsight it probably wasn't a great idea to return to yoga right before the races. But one of the cornerstones of yoga is that a person is only supposed to do what their body is capable of THAT DAY and not necessarily feel the need to push it. I kept up pretty well overall and came out of the class feeling incredibly relaxed...so much so that I might sign up to go again the day before I fly out to Disney, just to calm the nerves. We'll see.

The rest of this weekend I'm going to clean up the house a bit and take care of a few others things (bills, etc.) so that we can be ready to go in a few days. Woohoo!!

And in honor of the half marathon being one week from today...Mile Marker 13 from the 2011 Princess Half Marathon (the same course as the WDW Half Marathon):
IMG_0175.JPG

Continued in Next Post

Week 19: Run #4 (8-mile out-and-back)
Sunday, January 6, 2013
Weather: high 30s and overcast with occasional wind and light snow

21 miles completed/21 miles planned for the week
490.1 miles completed in training

I had a weird thing happen with my Garmin during the first mile of this run. I started it and didn't look at it at all until I was about a half mile from home...and the thing was saying I was already done with my first mile, and that it only took me about 5 minutes. Umm...okay? :confused3 Since I knew I was about 0.5 miles away from home I ran another 0.5 miles, reset the watch, and ran the last 7 miles. Very strange.

So besides that little hiccup, great last long run. Unlike my last few outdoor runs my legs actually felt like they warmed up, so they weren't as stiff (hooray for temps in the high 30s!)...I had a teeny bit of piriformis pain, but other than that I was a-okay. :thumbsup2 Oh right, I should also mention that I have a bit of shoulder/upper back soreness from yoga too. But otherwise I feel pretty good!

Splits:

Mile 1 - 10:32 (not 4:56 or whatever ridiculous thing my Garmin originally said...)
Mile 2 - 10:37
Mile 3 - 10:57 --> walk/water break at the beginning of this mile
Mile 4 - 10:37
Mile 5 - 11:32 --> Gu chomp/walk/water break at the beginning of this mile
Mile 6 - 10:22
Mile 7 - 10:47
Mile 8 - 10:17 --> walk/water break at the beginning of this mile

Total time: 1:25:39 for 8 miles
Average pace: ??? Probably somewhere between 10:40-10:45, too lazy to figure it out.

I'm declaring the pair of shoes I am wearing for the marathon broken in! Also...

Long runs are done. :yay:
Week 19 is done. :yay: :yay:

The marathon is ONE WEEK FROM TODAY!!! :yay: :yay: :yay:

IMG_0401.JPG

IMG_0402.JPG

Continued in Next Post

Week 20: STRETCHFEST!
Monday, January 7, 2012

It's here! It's Marathon Weekend...week! Or something. :)

Just a bit of light stretching and a few yoga poses this morning. Felt good! My hamstrings are definitely tight, so I'm going to try to be better about keeping up with stretching and foam rolling this week.

And now...

2 more days of work
1 more run
1 yoga class...

...and then I leave for Disney!!!!:yay: It's weird...I know the trip is SO close, but it still feels so far away. Maybe it'll hit me when I'm on the Magical Express...:goodvibes

IMG_5150.jpg

Continued in Next Post

I can't believe its actually here! I have no idea how I'm going to get through 3 1/2 days of work this week. Not much is going to get done, that's for sure! I'm nervous and excited all at the same time :goodvibes

I can't believe its actually here! I have no idea how I'm going to get through 3 1/2 days of work this week. Not much is going to get done, that's for sure! I'm nervous and excited all at the same time :goodvibes

OMG me too! I can't actually believe it is so close!

And now my 20-miler feels like it was so long ago!

Egads! We leave Thursday evening! Woohoo!

Good luck!! I totally know how you feel. just signed up for runner tracking stuff and somehow that made it so much more real...I am going to be bouncing off the walls!!

You will have a great time!! :goodvibes

OMG me too! I can't actually believe it is so close!

And now my 20-miler feels like it was so long ago!

Egads! We leave Thursday evening! Woohoo!

Egads indeed! Yeah, those long long runs are a distant memory. I feel like I've barely been running at all lately! :confused3 :rotfl2:

The saga continues...

Good news: My aunt is coming on the trip!
Bad news: I had to change our dining reservations again.

:faint: :faint: :faint:

Mom, you're killin' me!

Oh well. This time it was much easier...modifying a reservation from 5 to 6 is a cakewalk compared to changing from 4 to 5.

Oh man, I so want cake right now.

Anyway, after a quick call to a very helpful/awesome Cast Member everything's all updated and our ADRs are still at the same times...but I definitely had a mini heart attack when I got the text from my mom to try to add my aunt. I WILL NOT lose that 'Ohana reservation. I WILL NOT. :mad: :thumbsup2

Hustle and bustle of 'Ohana...
IMG_3759.jpg

My two favorite courses! The noodles...
IMG_3767.JPG

...and the dessert, of course. :lovestruc
IMG_3769.JPG

Continued in Next Post

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!