In a quandary whether to upgrade quick service to regular dining plan

married2mm

DIS Veteran
My dh& his mom love their food..big foodies.

They are not keen (at all) on character dining.
I would strongly encourage cd if we did upgrade otherwise it wouldn't happen..
The main reason is for me to eat vege meatloaf again at garden grill... when actually typed out this seems a little extreme..

I eat my own meals whether ts or cs;
mine!
Mine!
Mine!
however dmil likes to share -with choices from a bit of this & a bit of that!

Dh happily(?) shares and this is my issue.....
dmil would never eat a whole adult meal & dessert -either share an entree and dessert or app and dessert
So I'm thinking if we upgraded it maybe wasteful-but costs covered
Or, just order kids meals or apps etc and pay oop..
I realise I've rambled on-
Any assistance gratefully received.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Do you already have the QSDP? Did you pay for it? How many TS meals would you like to do? Since they are foodies, are you interested in doing some signature dinners? How many nights? Is it just the 3 of you? Do you still have time to get ADRs if you decide to upgrade?

It sounds like OOP all the way would suit you better, but a little more info would help us help you.

We have qsdp already & it was free.
There will *probably* be the 3 of us.
Last few trips ds decided he wanted to join us-but at the moment he's looking forward to peace at home !
We have an adr at Hollywood brown derby (which is definitely oop) and the only signature restaurant.
I've booked adrs-just in case &
also ones we'll definitely keep.
As long as dh & dmil are continually fed-they'll be content.
No specific restaurants are required.

Sorry just realised I didn't answer how long we have dining plan for-it's 5 nights.
However our vacation is for 14 nights (both onsite& offsite).

Have be our guest breakfast & lunch booked during dining plan period.
My definite adrs for our second week are cheaper options.

We have qsdp already & it was free.

Well, the upgrade price is around $20 per night per adult. Personally, I'd probably do it and put your TS restaurants during that 5 nights. If DMiL only wants an app or wants to share, you can save her credits and do a few more TS or add in another signature during that time.

You just need to do the math to see if it is worth it for you.

WHen on the DDP I always think sharing is a bonus. You can use the credits to further the plan.

I think that the cost to upgrade is minimal, so I would take a hard look at the meals you would order and then do the math. Personally I prefer more TS meals to CS, so I would choose the DDP and have nice sit down dinners in the evening, but only you can predict how your family would prefer to dine.

Dmil prefers meals early-
She'll be 87 on our trip so not really up for changing !!
It's either a window from 10.30-12.00 at the latest
I have booked one dinner reservation and I'll try and encourage her to come (5pm Sanaa)
I'm not very hopeful though

Dmil prefers meals early-
She'll be 87 on our trip so not really up for changing !!
It's either a window from 10.30-12.00 at the latest
I have booked one dinner reservation and I'll try and encourage her to come (5pm Sanaa)
I'm not very hopeful though

If she prefers to stay behind, I think it's okay. I had an elderly friend who once told me that the nicest thing her kids could do gif her was to just believe her when she would say she wanted to stay home. I think it's grand your dmil is on the trip and that you booked meals within her comfort window.

Have fun!

If she prefers to stay behind, I think it's okay. I had an elderly friend who once told me that the nicest thing her kids could do gif her was to just believe her when she would say she wanted to stay home. I think it's grand your dmil is on the trip and that you booked meals within her comfort window.

Have fun!

Thanks-we will.
And that's really useful to know-as I imagine dmil feels exactly the same.
She's not usually very forthcoming with how she feels-
"I'll go with you, wherever you're going"
Is a line often repeated-however sometimes reading between the lines I know there is specifically somewhere she wants to go..
Dh doesn't pick up on this-like ever!!

Thanks-we will.
And that's really useful to know-as I imagine dmil feels exactly the same.
She's not usually very forthcoming with how she feels-
"I'll go with you, wherever you're going"
Is a line often repeated-however sometimes reading between the lines I know there is specifically somewhere she wants to go..
Dh doesn't pick up on this-like ever!!

My DH would not pick up either.

I was glad when my friend told me that. I found out my Mom felt the same way.

My DH would not pick up either.

I was glad when my friend told me that. I found out my Mom felt the same way.

My mom has more energy than me!
She won't fly though & has no desire to visit wdw-each to their own..

And incidentally ; I've still not decided upon upgrading -trip isn't until May
So I suppose there's no immediate urgency-
And time to play around with ADR's & all the planning fun.

My mom has more energy than me!
She won't fly though & has no desire to visit wdw-each to their own..

And incidentally ; I've still not decided upon upgrading -trip isn't until May
So I suppose there's no immediate urgency-
And time to play around with ADR's & all the planning fun.

My Mom refused to fly ever.....until 9-11. WE were trying to figure out how to get her to Paris Island that November to see my nephew graduate, and had decided to rent an RV when she asked why we were not flying. Ummmmm....you never have agreed to fly anywhere, that's why. THe feisty gal, who have grown up during the depression, and who lived thru WWII announced that no terrorist was going to keep her off a plane! Well, okay then! LOL!

You have plenty of tiem to plan your ADR's and then run the numbers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts