I'm late on this - August 2016 Trip Report (my 30th)!

StarlitNight05

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! My name is Stacey :wave:

Recently I've acquired a bit of a problem. I'm a Disneyland addict! I'm a northern California native, and have visited the park numerous times as a child. I have really fond memories of making the 6 hour drive to Disneyland with my family -- my older brother and I endlessly harassing each other in the backseat driving my parents mad. Aww, the memories...

Fast forward many years later... I ended up meeting and marrying a wonderful man! We are a couple of goofballs and are pretty much children at heart.
Wedding_zpsimmlaeur.jpg

I ended up converting my husband to a DLR addict. It started with a few trips when we began dating, and most recently with my 30th birthday celebration! In late August, we ended up staying at Hotel Indigo for 3 days at DLR. We are lucky enough to live close to a major airport with non-stop flights through Southwest Airlines to SNA. It's a quick 1 hour trip, and honestly, I can't ever see myself driving to Anaheim ever again. Our room at Hotel Indigo was pretty nice, no big complaints there. One nice aspect is that Hotel Indigo is really close to the Anaheim Garden Walk. When we arrived our first night we stopped off at McFaddens for a beer. I made the mistake of getting the "manly sized" beer. It was bigger than my head. Needless to say that pretty much did me in for the night!
IMG_20160824_222735_zps0cfdmjee.jpg

Thankfully that "manly" beer didn't change the fact that I was up bright and early for our first park day! Hubby was just as excited as me and we were out the door ASAP to hit the Disneyland for rope drop. One complaint I do have about Hotel Indigo was the walk seemed so far! I was way too excited and wanted to be at the parks already (it was about a 10 minute walk).
Walking%20to%20DLR_zpskru84byw.jpg

We started off riding Star Tours -- the line was so short we almost walked right on. When we left we ran over to Space Mountain to pull a FP and went right back on Star Tours for a second time since the line was still very short. This time we were in the 1st row. Score!
StarTours_zpsvfvfpwuw.jpg

We still had some time on our Space Mountain FP so we went onto the Matterhorn. It took a bit of time to get on the ride since a girl was caught with a selfie stick as we were boarding the ride. They CM and guest had about a 5 minute argument about confiscating the selfie stick. I was getting a bit perturbed at this point. Just let them take the selfie stick so I can ride Matterhorn already!

Still a bit of time for our FP for Space Mountain, so we walked through the Star Wars Bay. I absolutely LOVED this part of the park. It was relatively empty and nicely air conditioned inside. And hey, I even got to hang out with BB-8 for a while...
BB8_zpsdmna8gss.jpg

We finally reached our window for Space Mountain -- well, technically Hyper Space Mountain. I was a bit underwhelmed by the extra effects for the "Hyper Space" aspect. It felt a bit forced to me. Regardless I still had a good time. Our ride pic was a bit ridiculous for this, so I have to share. My husband looks like he's sleeping, but I mainly loved the family in front of us. That Dad's beard was impressive to say the least!
Space_zps9zjhyfbf.jpg

After that we pulled FPs for Splash mountain and walked on PoC and BTMR. After riding Splash we pulled FPs for Indy. Waiting for the Indy ride we went onto Jungle Cruise, Tikki Room (dole whip please!), and people watched for a bit.

After Indy, we park hopped to DCA and rode CS, Monsters Inc (such a cute ride with no wait!), Little Mermaid, and Mickey's Fun Wheel. By that time, it was close to our early dinner reservation at Blue Bayou. I wanted to get there about 30 minutes early to request a waterside table, the CMs were extremely nice to me when I made my request. They asked if we were celebrating anything special, and my husband blurts out "It's her birthday... she's 30!" To which the CM replied "Wow, you don't look 30!" (Thanks hubby for outting me like that, hehe). We only had to wait about 15 minutes for our table. It was a great view! Our server was incredibly kind and even made me a custom birthday pin since they were out of the standard ones. We are vegetarians, so they ended up even making us a special pasta dish that was really delicious! For some reason I took pics of everything but the pasta, but it had squash, tomatoes, and spinach with a chimichurri sauce. We also got mint juleps and a nice little comped birthday dessert!
BB%20Drink_zpsnasdyvei.jpg
BB%20Dessert_zpsy3fht0t0.jpg

Oh and here is the the custom pin they made me...
Bday%20Pin_zpsu3zt4b5b.jpg

After dinner we went on It's a Small World since I didn't want to be jostled around too much with all the food in me! I've loved this ride since I was a kid -- there is something just so endearing about it. Shout out to the bagpiper (I'm half Scottish after all...)!
Bagpiper_zpsirjn96hx.jpg

After that ride we rode the teacups and went back over to DCA for a few rides. We ended with riding Tower of Terror with an almost 1 hour wait. It was worth it though!! I love that ride, and I'll definitely miss it.

Whew, so that was just day 1 of our trip. It was magical and lovely, and I was so blessed to be able to spend it with my wonderful husband. Disneyland is truly our happy place!
:earsgirl::earsboy:

Last edited:
Following. We are planning a trip this August. I have not been to Disneyland since 1992
Hi there! What time August are you going? We went August 24 - 26th (Thursday to Saturday). Here's a few observations:

1) The Thursday was the best day crowd wise. I think a lot of California schools are back in session by late August so weekdays were definitely lightly attended.

2) Temperatures are HOT. I've lived in California all my life, more recently in the Sacramento Valley region which is not uncommon for 100+ degrees in the Summer. Anaheim felt a bit more forgiving in that sense -- it was high 90s when we went. Totally doable with a lot of water and sunscreen. Little ones will probably need a midday nap.

3) Speaking of midday breaks -- that's probably the best strategy for dealing with crowds, especially if you are going during more high volume times (weekends, or earlier in August).

4) Mornings are so crucial, make sure to get there at rope drop. Fast passes run out early for popular rides (most notably, Space Mountain at DL and RSR at DCA). If you don't have Magic Morning (one day of your choice on a 3+ park hopper) or Early Magic Hour (as a DLR hotel guest), make sure to go to the park that doesn't offer it that morning:
  • Disneyland Park: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
  • Disney California Adventure Park (including access to Cars Land): Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter