• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

I'm a huge packing cube fan now!

You know what more room in luggage means? .......... MORE ROOM TO BRING SOUVENIRS HOME! That could be dangerous! Haha

I use ones that I bought at our local Ikea - they were super inexpensive! They also come with double sided ones just like Eagle Creek, but at a fraction of the cost!

I love to unpack totally on vacation, so placing them in the drawer is so quick and easy!
I've been hesitant to get them because I also like to totally unpack and it seems like the benefit is more for people who live out of their suitcases? Do you just unzip it and place it in the drawer? We are doing a split stay so I would like to keep the packing and unpacking as easy as possible but we definitely like to "settle in" and put everything in drawers.

I just use different cubes for each of us, and put them in the drawers. Usually like clothes together, so like undies and socks in one, tee shirts in one, etc... It's easy to pull out what we need without totally unpacking it all that way, but it gets it all out of the suitcases.

I do like to totally unpack as well! I don't want to fuss with suitcases until we pack up to go home!

I like to roll my clothes rather than fold them; they get less wrinkles that way.

I might have to try packing cubes. My mom used to take gallon zippy bags and put outfits in them. She'd write the day of the week they would be worn on them. I still do that even though I pack my own bags now. :)

These things are a total game changer! I bought a set and started packing for our trip and liked them so much that I bought a second set. It's an OCD packer's dream come true!

Cubes help so much. I packed for a ten day trip to Scotland in a carry on- cubes made it all so organized!

THIS is amazing!! I have never heard of them before now...where in the world have I been? Thanks for the info...will definitely be purchasing some for us!

Thanks for the link . So they are basically suitcase organizers right ? So don't they take up more room in the suitcase ? It seems you would fit less clothing . I do like the idea of being more organized , but I don't see the benefits beyond that . Someone help me understand please .
I used to think the same before I started using them. I thought they were just a gimmick or more junk for me to haul around in my suitcase. However, I love them now & use them every time I travel. Great for cruises, bus tours & WDW. They help me keep my dirty clothes separate from the clean. Because each cube has limited space, it also helps me control how much I pack rather than just throwing extra clothes into the suitcase. The small cubes are excellent for electronic stuff including cords, wall adapters, etc.

What do you all think of a combination of packing cubes and Travel Space bags (the ones you pack and then seal and roll the air out of)??

I legitimately have OCD and one of my issues is the fear of needing something but not having it (I pack my pillow and bring it with me, not like a comforter like a blankie, but because the thought of not being able to sleep without my style of pillow causes anxiety), so I'm a terrible over packer (drives my husband crazy) so I spend hours the night before we leave trying to jam stuff in everywhere and it's a terrible mess by the time we actually leave.
And of course, I pack 15 too many outfits for a 7 day trip. So 2 weeks travelling overseas in the USA is hard work for me to ensure I have everything to placate the anxiety as well as keep under the weight limit of the bags etc.
So I feel like if I had these, I might be able to keep things sorted and under control (note, my OCD isn't about tidiness and order, not everyone with OCD is neat and tidy, drives me nuts when tidy people are like "Oh I have such bad OCD"... no you don't, you just like things to be neat.)

On top of all that, I have a collective behaviour, so I would end up buying too many of these and making it more complex than it needs to be.
And I've just seen how crazy I look... I swear i'm normal!!!! :)

What do you all think of a combination of packing cubes and Travel Space bags (the ones you pack and then seal and roll the air out of)??
This could work depending on the sz & number of the space bags. Another possible would be a compression bag. Its a nylon bag with straps often used to compress and carry hikers' sleeping bags but a pillow, extra clothes, etc would fit in it. I have a small one in case I need to pack a puffy jacket, extra sweater & rain pants for a trip but haven't had to use it yet. You could find in any AUS outdoor supply store. They are more $ than dry bags (usually over $25 CDN for one) but should last for decades so more an issue of will you actually use it. No doubt you already know about rolling your clothes up rather than packing flat to save space. Another possible (and I'm not trying to enable), is checking out the fee for one extra checked rolling bag (like a duffle on wheels) and then just paying it given how much you two are already paying for your flights. Maybe pack as many old throw-away clothes as poss (old socks, t-shirts, old pillow, etc) and then have the extra empty bag for souvenirs and goodies to bring back.

This could work depending on the sz & number of the space bags. Another possible would be a compression bag. Its a nylon bag with straps often used to compress and carry hikers' sleeping bags but a pillow, extra clothes, etc would fit in it. I have a small one in case I need to pack a puffy jacket, extra sweater & rain pants for a trip but haven't had to use it yet. You could find in any AUS outdoor supply store. They are more $ than dry bags (usually over $25 CDN for one) but should last for decades so more an issue of will you actually use it. No doubt you already know about rolling your clothes up rather than packing flat to save space. Another possible (and I'm not trying to enable), is checking out the fee for one extra checked rolling bag (like a duffle on wheels) and then just paying it given how much you two are already paying for your flights. Maybe pack as many old throw-away clothes as poss (old socks, t-shirts, old pillow, etc) and then have the extra empty bag for souvenirs and goodies to bring back.
Sam, I love you! Lol
I actually don't roll my clothes. I mess around with the bags so much when initially packing that rolling would be a pain. But we may need to discuss this further?!
We get 2x23kg checked bags each, so we Russian doll our bags, take 2 smaller filled ones packed inside the bigger ones.
This time I think we'll just stick with 3 in total.
Last time I only packed the 2 plus carry ons plus my big handbag and we managed, and that's with my big tri-pillow!!
I've got the compression bags, they're just plastic ones (Google Space bag travel) so I'll use those for hoodies and anything else chunky.

Consider rolling your clothes tight and then nesting tight together. Apparently it conserves space rather than packing clothes flat. More wrinkles. But more clothes packed tight. Good luck & Ta! My friend. Sammy

Consider rolling your clothes tight and then nesting tight together. Apparently it conserves space rather than packing clothes flat. More wrinkles. But more clothes packed tight. Good luck & Ta! My friend. Sammy
I'm pretty good at jamming shoes, undies and socks in the spaces that flat laying clothes leave.
But I may give this a go if I go the packing cube route.
I'm looking at cheap ones on eBay, at least that way I won't waste too much money on them if they don't work for me.

Has anyone used the cheap eBay China ones? I want to get an eagle creek compression folder and some slim tube for underwear, but it will cost a lot to get larger bags from some of the known brands, so was thinking of getting some cheaper ones from eBay. but am a bit nervous they would rip on the first use.

Has anyone used the cheap eBay China ones? I want to get an eagle creek compression folder and some slim tube for underwear, but it will cost a lot to get larger bags from some of the known brands, so was thinking of getting some cheaper ones from eBay. but am a bit nervous they would rip on the first use.
Considering the frequency of which I'll use them, I'm probably going to go with the China eBay ones.
I'm trying to find purple ones or ones you can get in custom prints but there don't seem to be any :-(

I've never heard of these before, but they are now definitely on my list of things to get before my next trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter