I'll be the first....

rapunzelmom

Mouseketeer
Hi all
I will be the first post! I am a single mom to a wonderful DD8. She came home to me from Guatemala. Pre motherhood I have been a Disney addict and have about 20 visits many as a solo logged. As a single parent, I love Disney vacation as there is ALWAYS something to do and built in kids to do them with!

What are you tips for single parent travel? I budget for a great "adult beverage" every day and time to relax and enjoy it!

Welcome... I now you will have a lot of fun with your DD. Where are you wanting to stay? I have been to Disney World 4 times and on 6 cruises. My DS is 19. I would answer any questions you have.

I'll join you...I'm a newly single parent to Dd12 and DS 7...heading down for my first single trip at the end of month. Meeting some friends for a few days and bringing mom for support.

I'm in! I'm a single mom to two teenage girls, age 14 and 18 (she's leaving for university soon! Ack!). Been separated for 2 1/2 years now. The ex was never the Disney fan, though he did go with us in 2007, and one of the best parts of being single is being able to indulge my Disney vacation addiction! Head down now at least once every year or two with each of the girls for some one on one time. Looking ahead to spring break next year with the two of them :)

I'm a single mom. My DS is 13 months. We just took our first Disney cruise to celebrate his 1st birthday. It was just the two of us and it was perfect! We wore matching Mickey PJs to bed every night while we ate Mickey Bars in bed. We will continue this tradition every cruise.

I'm still nursing, so no adult beverages for me right now. However, as soon as DS stops nursing, there will be a large glass of red wine in my hand. Lol

I'm so excited about this forum and I'm looking forward to many exchanges on here with each of you! It's so nice to engage with other single parents. :)

So excited about this board!!! :) Single mom of 2 (will be 3 in 2 short months) year old little boy! We are taking our first Disney vacation in September for his 3rd birthday! I've talked my best friend into joining us at WDW and on the Disney Cruise because I didnt want to look weird being the only single mom on a family cruise. Ive since learned that I will not be the only one :)

I am so excited for this forum! I am a single mom to my 7 year old son. I was married before I had him..but things changed fast and got scary after he was born. My ex had his rights terminated before my son was a year old. My son had ADHD and autism....I have no family support...just us two...so it took me awhile to be comfortable traveling with him. Last year we took our very first vacation on a disney cruise and now I am so excited to do more traveling!

I completely understand how fast things can change when you get pregnant! Hence the reason I'm a single mom to a 13 month old. This past year has been rough for us (and it's still ongoing). Our Disney cruise was my way of celebrating DS's 1st birthday and to celebrate making it through our first year. It was a much needed break from all the drama.

I'm glad you and your DS took the leap and started traveling together. I wish you many many more vacations together! Boys LOVE their moms!

I'm a single mom to a 10 year old boy. We've done WDW three times, one ABD trip, and one cruise with another booked for this December. I'd be happy to answer any questions about those trips, as well as about other non-Disney trips we've taken (most recently to Universal and the Grand Canyon).

Last edited:
I'm a single mom. My DS is 13 months. We just took our first Disney cruise to celebrate his 1st birthday. It was just the two of us and it was perfect! We wore matching Mickey PJs to bed every night while we ate Mickey Bars in bed. We will continue this tradition every cruise.

I'm still nursing, so no adult beverages for me right now. However, as soon as DS stops nursing, there will be a large glass of red wine in my hand. Lol

I'm so excited about this forum and I'm looking forward to many exchanges on here with each of you! It's so nice to engage with other single parents. :)

I completely agree!! I must say that the pros of being a single parent totally outweigh the cons.. Jase was about 9 months old when we started traveling. It's plain and simple... If he cant go then I don't go! He sure loves his mom but not as much as I love him! I can't imagine having life any other way! Soak in every moment! I promise you they go by fast! I almost have a 3 year old and long for the 2 am feedings when he was a newborn. Keep up the good work mom!!! :) (JUST FYI we have matching PJs for the cruise too :) )

I keep looking back at the early years of vacation and think how did we make it.
I agree! I always wonder how I'm going to make it work but it always happens! Alot of people tell me that he will not remember these vacations so young but I don't pay them attention. He enjoys them in the moment and we have pictures he can look at down the road! I just think they are jealous that I'm making it work and put my child first!

I have been a single mom to an almost-17 year old beauty for 14 years :) We did Disney World on her 3rd birthday, have had several camping trips and adventures, just the two of us. We did her 8th birthday on a 7 day Disney cruise, and have another one scheduled for next February. She will be 17 then.

It's probably because it's just been the two of us for so long, I have never flinched taking her on trips. We have always both had a great time. She didn't really hang in the clubs for some reason when she was 8. I think she was probably worried that I wasn't going to have fun myself, LOL. But there are so many family options, I loved spending a week with her, as I was working full time then. We are super excited for our upcoming trip. On our first cruise, she and I met some great people here on the DIS boards before we left, so she had friends throughout the trip. She has now met a girl her age with the same interests they chat online so she will have a friend then too. She is excited to check out the teen clubs.

I'm in! I'm a single mom to two teenage girls, age 14 and 18 (she's leaving for university soon! Ack!). Been separated for 2 1/2 years now. The ex was never the Disney fan, though he did go with us in 2007, and one of the best parts of being single is being able to indulge my Disney vacation addiction! Head down now at least once every year or two with each of the girls for some one on one time. Looking ahead to spring break next year with the two of them :)

I hear ya! Mine is headed off to college is a little over a year! Where has the time gone?

I'm so excited to see this forum. Someone just messaged me that we should have a single parent area. I totally agree. I'm a single parent of a 13yr boy. His father and I were high school and college sweethearts got married got pregnant right away and things went really bad. My x has visitation when he decides to use it but it's been just the two of us since before he was born. My DS has ADHD and is on the autism spectrum. Traveling can be a challange. I travel either by cruise or to Disney World every 16 to 18 months since he was 2. I'll be happy to hear all of your tips and add some too.

My x has visitation when he decides to use it but it's been just the two of us since before he was born.

I completely understand this! Its a shame that Jase's dad lives not even 2 miles from us but never has time for him! He sees his daughter in North Carolina more often than Jase. Some days I just want to take him to court and have him sign over his rights!

How exciting!

Like a few other parents I see up there, I'm a single mom to a wonderful little boy who is just on the doorstep of the dreaded teenage years! He as been formally diagnosed with ADHD and ODD, with a newly discovered learning disability - all of which has a great impact on the way we do WDW.

The boy and I have been to WDW four times, with a fifth trip planned for September. We have done trips wit other people, and a trip with just the two of us. Without these forums, and the valuable tips and hints that all these wonderful people share (I have been a lurker since 2009!), we might NEVER have made it through with the unique challenges that being a single parent can bring!

I'm really excited to see what kinds of things we can share with each other in this special, new area!

How exciting!

Like a few other parents I see up there, I'm a single mom to a wonderful little boy who is just on the doorstep of the dreaded teenage years! He as been formally diagnosed with ADHD and ODD, with a newly discovered learning disability - all of which has a great impact on the way we do WDW.

The boy and I have been to WDW four times, with a fifth trip planned for September. We have done trips wit other people, and a trip with just the two of us. Without these forums, and the valuable tips and hints that all these wonderful people share (I have been a lurker since 2009!), we might NEVER have made it through with the unique challenges that being a single parent can bring!

I'm really excited to see what kinds of things we can share with each other in this special, new area!
Looks like you will be going right after us :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter