Ijust back/stay away from DTD

maciemouse

DIS Veteran
We just got back from a great trip. We stayed at the Poly. It looked great. We were in a room over looking the quiet pool. No construction going on there as of now. Fences have been removed. It was busy and hot but we got to do everything we wanted. Had great visits to AK by touring the last 2 hours of the day. We went to evening extra magic hours in MK and really enjoyed the walk ons. The only complaint I have is DTD. Don't go unless you have to go. The traffic is horrible. We did use Disney transportation and it was a nightmare trying to get home. It took an hour and a half. It's just not worth it right now. All cast members were great. Parks were clean and pretty but lots of construction.

When you say traffic was horrible, does that mean on Buena Vista Drive/Hotel Plaza Blvd? Just wondering because we are staying offsite and a lot of our directions tell us to go that way. I am thinking it will be fine for going to the parks since it will be early when we go but I am concerned about getting back since DTD seems to have a big draw in the evenings. Wondering if I should be scoping out other routes to get home.................

Glad you had a great trip!

We just got back from a great trip. We stayed at the Poly. It looked great. We were in a room over looking the quiet pool. No construction going on there as of now. Fences have been removed. It was busy and hot but we got to do everything we wanted. Had great visits to AK by touring the last 2 hours of the day. We went to evening extra magic hours in MK and really enjoyed the walk ons. The only complaint I have is DTD. Don't go unless you have to go. The traffic is horrible. We did use Disney transportation and it was a nightmare trying to get home. It took an hour and a half. It's just not worth it right now. All cast members were great. Parks were clean and pretty but lots of construction.

Eh, we went at the end of May -- on a Sunday, at opening -- and it wasn't that bad. We parked at the Casting building across from the Marketplace and crossed Buena Vista Drive (there were CMs "guarding" the crosswalk), did our shopping and left as the crowds were accumulating.

The same rules as always still apply to DTD: If your schedule allows, avoid the weekends and go early.

You could take a bus from the MK to one of the resorts that has a boat to DTD.

Fair warning, right around dinner time the boats can get full. We stayed at POFQ and watched three boats come and go before they sent a dedicated boat for POFQ.

We were just there last week and went to DTD on Tuesday. We took the bus from our hotel and had no problems whatsoever. It was no more or less crowded than anywhere else we were for the week. In fact we were able to walk in to an immediate table at Portobello and had the best meal we had for the week. Our experience was great.

Yes,it was at hotel boulevard. One night we went to Joe's Crab Shack and I made the mistake of going that way. It was around 5:00. Horrible! When I went home I went the back way by Saratoga springs (same route busses are taking). The only back up I had going that way was on hotel blvd. Then we went to DTD on Sunday around 4. Rode Disney bus and got there fairly quickly, around 30 minutes. On the way back to poly, it was a MESS! It was around 7. The problem is, is that they are only letting 7 busses in the pick-up at a time. When one bus leaves, they let another bus in. Busses were backed up past Saratoga when we left waiting to get in. It was hot and lines and lines of people waiting for busses. As far as getting in t-Rex, we had no problems. It was just getting out of there. The whole area in front of DTD is crazy! Maybe not first thing or late at night but definitely around 5.

When you say traffic was horrible, does that mean on Buena Vista Drive/Hotel Plaza Blvd? Just wondering because we are staying offsite and a lot of our directions tell us to go that way. I am thinking it will be fine for going to the parks since it will be early when we go but I am concerned about getting back since DTD seems to have a big draw in the evenings. Wondering if I should be scoping out other routes to get home.................

Glad you had a great trip!

When we were there in May the intersection between Hotel Plaza and Buena Vista was a mess and then basically all the way down Buena Vista to the parking garage was a mess also. But if you come down HP and turn on BV towards DVC way it wasn't bad then.

When we were down during spring break, we were going to go to DTD one evening but the traffic was horrendous (barely moving) so we just drove right by.

I think that is the ticket is parking before you get to the front of DTD. There was a flashing sign that said all parking areas are full. They were putting people in the team Disney parking lot. We were just trying to get to hotel blvd to turn to go to Joe's Crab Shack. Everyone was trying to get into the right lane to go to team Disney since parking was full. It caused a lot of back up. We go to Disney 4 times a year and I've never seen it this bad. We are just going to avoid it for now until they are done. The busses do not go in front of DTD. The west bus depot is closed. The busses are pulling in and leaving from the Saratoga side of DTD. Even the bus area is under construction but still open. That must be why they are only letting 7 busses in at a time.

We plan on going early right when the shops open. How is parking then?

And, do they open at 9:30am or 10:00am? Better find that out first!

We were there three times recently and every time it was very crowded. Either it is very popular or the new restaurants / shops need to open sooner to ease some of these crowds.

Was there last week and went to DTD on Monday afternoon as well as Thursday afternoon, used Disney transport and had no issues. We really enjoyed our time there :)

Is the traffic bad on the west side of Buena Vista Dr. (i.e. past Typhoon Lagoon and toward Bonnet Creek)? We are staying at AoA, and from what it sounds like, the traffic is mostly bad on the east side of the new parking ramp. Is that true?

Is the traffic bad on the west side of Buena Vista Dr. (i.e. past Typhoon Lagoon and toward Bonnet Creek)? We are staying at AoA, and from what it sounds like, the traffic is mostly bad on the east side of the new parking ramp. Is that true?
We stayed at Pop and had no trouble hope that helps since AoA is next door to Pop.

We stayed at Pop and had no trouble hope that helps since AoA is next door to Pop.
I'm assuming you drove then? We definitely think we will drive if the parking ramp and traffic seem easier on this side of the ramp.
From what it sounds like, the buses are taking a roundabout way to get to the one bus stop, and this sounds like a crazy long wait and not convenient.

I'm assuming you drove then? We definitely think we will drive if the parking ramp and traffic seem easier on this side of the ramp.
From what it sounds like, the buses are taking a roundabout way to get to the one bus stop, and this sounds like a crazy long wait and not convenient.
we used the bus from Pop :)

You should have no trouble getting to pop. Just don't get off at I-4 on the DTD ramp.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter