If you watch college football.....what teams (s) do you root for?

I am a UGA grad, so GO, DAWGS!! SIC EM!! WOOF, WOOF, WOOF!!!

My DD is a freshman at Alabama, so I am coming around to them. I'm practicing my ROLL, TIDE!! I will root for Alabama except if they play UGA- thankfully, they don't play each other often.

DH went to a university without football (can you imagine!?!) but is from Ohio, so he loves Ohio State. I am not a fan. He likes to debate SEC vs Big Ten with me- no contest, IMO.

That probably was me--I started in 1979 and graduated in 1983--but it's not 100% accurate as there was no class that never saw a win until their senior year. NU won the first game we saw as freshman in 1979--beating the almighty Wyoming Cowboys during what was then New Student Week--then lost 34 straight, meaning we didn't see a win until the Northern Illinois game in 1982. And there weren't a lot of close games in between, as I sat through (well at least until halftime) losses as bad as 65-0, 70-6 and 63-0 during that time. At least one of those was homecoming.

Well, it's entirely possible that my memory might be slightly fuzzy all these years later. ;) Please tell me my memory of them sinking the goal post in Lake Michigan is accurate? I do remember the "Stop State at 28" buttons everyone wore my freshman year.

Life-long USC Trojan fan.

College football is my second favorite sport behind college basketball.

I'm not real pleased with the state of Trojan football these days, but maybe there'll be some improvement this year.

Fight On!!

My husband went to USC for grade school!

Go Trojans!

My college was a small, private school, not known for football!

Well, it's entirely possible that my memory might be slightly fuzzy all these years later. ;) Please tell me my memory of them sinking the goal post in Lake Michigan is accurate? I do remember the "Stop State at 28" buttons everyone wore my freshman year.
Yes. The goal posts were torn down after the Northern Illinois game and the largest portion of them was carried to north beach and sunk in the lake. Smaller portions may have wound up in other places--like someone's room--but you didn't hear that from me. There are videos of the game online and the one of the fourth quarter includes the goal posts being torn down.

I believe I may still have a "Stop State at 28" t-shirt and a commemorative game ball stashed somewhere. Those shirts and buttons were from the prior year, when the major college losing streak record was 28 games and we were hoping that NU would beat Michigan State and not break the streak. Obviously that failed.

Life-long USC Trojan fan.

College football is my second favorite sport behind college basketball.

I'm not real pleased with the state of Trojan football these days, but maybe there'll be some improvement this year.

Fight On!!

Life long Trojan Fan here!! I grew up watching the games with my Dad and he ended up going back to school there later in life (for his Masters). I still love spending a Saturday afternoon watching USC football with my Dad :)

But yes, it is strange to see SC as an 11.5 point underdog going into a game. Hopefully we can turn things around this year.

Life long Trojan Fan here!! I grew up watching the games with my Dad and he ended up going back to school there later in life (for his Masters). I still love spending a Saturday afternoon watching USC football with my Dad :)

But yes, it is strange to see SC as an 11.5 point underdog going into a game. Hopefully we can turn things around this year.

Still not up to full strength from the NCAA trying to kill em. Of course now the NCAA is throwing millions of dollars at the assistant coach in question desperately trying to get him to settle his suit against em. In any case Paul Dee is now dead and his legacy down the drain. But on the bright side, Alabama never would have scheduled USC if they thought USC was going to be at full strength. So there's that.

Yes. The goal posts were torn down after the Northern Illinois game and the largest portion of them was carried to north beach and sunk in the lake. Smaller portions may have wound up in other places--like someone's room--but you didn't hear that from me. There are videos of the game online and the one of the fourth quarter includes the goal posts being torn down.

I believe I may still have a "Stop State at 28" t-shirt and a commemorative game ball stashed somewhere. Those shirts and buttons were from the prior year, when the major college losing streak record was 28 games and we were hoping that NU would beat Michigan State and not break the streak. Obviously that failed.

You really were a serious fan! Those are some awesome memories. Thanks for filling in some of the blanks for me. That all seems like a lifetime ago. Probably because it was. ;)

You really were a serious fan! Those are some awesome memories. Thanks for filling in some of the blanks for me. That all seems like a lifetime ago. Probably because it was. ;)
The video below is an old ESPN feature on the "Lake the Posts" phenomenon.

Wisconsin Badgers!

3613AC66-24EE-4DFC-86DE-3CA78F029C57_zpsu0tckzd0.jpg

60388057-CA3E-4B87-BF1A-42DCDA466B42_zpsxw4rzh3c.jpg

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter