If you could only do *1* character meal

melsc1

Earning My Ears
with a 2.5 year old which would it be? She's still way into Pooh, but has been showing lots of interest in the princesses, too. Is the character interaction better at some than at the others? Are there any that I should definitely avoid (bad food, too crowded, etc)?

Thanks for any light you can shed!

Melissa - heading to WDW in October (10-14) for the first time since 1983

If you can get into the princess meal, I would try that first, if DD is into it. Seeing a little girl in the castle with all those princesses is a magic moment.

If you can't get into CRT or the other princess meal, Try the Pooh breakfast. We took out little DD when she was 20 months and loved it.

Our family always does a meal at Chef Mickey's. We like Chef Mickey's since it is a buffet. I do better with them since I don't like eggs and they seem to be the staple at preplated measl. We love getting to see Mickey (my fave) and DD loves it too. Chef Mickey is a must for us and this year we are going to try the princess meal now that DD is really into them. She has had dinner in the castle and her photo with Cinderella, but we are going to try for the breakfast.

We are going in September and only have time for one breakfast b/c dh is making us do non-disney activities this trip. Anyway, I have a 2 1/2 dd. Last year we did Chef Mickey's and she loved it. (Tell them its her birthday and they will sing and give her a special birthday cake).

I heard about the Princess breakfast and had to try it b/c dd loves all the Princesses and has been dressing up like one every single day for weeks now. I told her about it the other day and she seemed pretty excited. It seemed much easier to get reservations than at Cindy's too. Maybe because not alot of people know about it yet.

Good Luck!
Katiebug

Just returned last week and had a great time. Crystal Palace was a hit with my 2 1/2 year dd (as well as my other children). We got in with PS in a reasonable amount of time (unlike other places we had PS for). The characters were good. Some better than others. Tigger was wonderful. He spent a little extra time with dd holding her hand, touching her cheek, and he kissed her. He became her new favorite! The rest of the meal she kept asking were Tigger went. The Eyeore that day was not real attentive. Piglet hung out by the buffet area but was great as well! If your dd likes the Pooh characters she will probably love this one!! Julie

We went this past October with my 4 year old daughter. We did just about every character meal offered. All the characters were great at each and every one. They all come around to the table and give plenty of time to take pictures and autographs. My top character meals food wise were Be our guest(dinner), Cinderellas Royal Table, and Garden Grill. The food really was not bad at any of the restaurants. If my child was into Winnie the Pooh the Crystal Palace is where I would be going. The food is a buffet and it was really good. If princesses, my vote would be Cinderellas Royal Table.

Last edited:
We liked Akershus for breakfast on our last visit. There were so many princesses and they had a parade throughout the restaurant that your little ones can take part in. Also, for breakfast they have a buffet with cold items (fruit, yogurt, cheese, salami, pastries) and then they brought out eggs, cheesy potatoes, sausage and bacon to the table served family style. For us, it was a better price than Cinderella's Royal Table and with a little better character interaction. The buffet was good for my kids because they didn't have to wait to start eating. Also, the food was pretty traditional breakfast items with a few Norwegian touches. We enjoyed it greatly!

is she freaked out by characters? If you don't know how she'll react, face characters would be safer and I'd pick a princess. I love pooh myself and my son prefers the fuzzy ones to the face ones but the little ones can sometimes get scared of the huge walking stuffed animals.

For princesses- Cinderella Royal Table.
Otherwise my favorite is Crystal Palace. I love breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

OUR OWN WDW CHARACTER MEAL & BUFFET RANKINGS (*rev: August 2017*):
Results are listed from best to worst
Best Food (quality first, then variety):
. . . 1900 Park Fare (B-D)
. . . Tusker House, moved from #1 Spot due to menu changes (B-L-D)
. . . Ohana (B)
. . . Garden Grill (B-D)
. . . Garden Grove Swan (D)
. . . Akershus Royal Banquet (B-L-D)
. . . Tusker House, (D)
. . . Cape May Café (B)
. . . Hollywood & Vine (B-L-D)
. . . Crystal Palace (B-L-D)
. . . Cinderella Royal Table, since new menu (B-L-D)
. . . Chef Mickey's (B-L-D)
Best Character Interaction (time with guest first, then friendliness):
. . . Tusker House
. . . Akershus Royal Banquet
. . . 1900 Park Fare (D)
. . . Garden Grill
. . . Tusker House
. . . Ohana
. . . 1900 Park Fare (B)
. . . Garden Grove
. . . 1900 Park Fare
. . . Chef Mickey's
. . . Cape May Café
. . . Hollywood & Vine
. . . Cinderella Royal Table
. . . Crystal Palace (barely enough time for a photo)
Best Atmosphere (surroundings and ambiance):
. . . Cinderella Royal Table
. . . Tusker House, Breakfast-Lunch-Dinner
. . . Akershus Royal Banquet
. . . Ohana
. . . 1900 Park Fare
. . . Garden Grill
. . . Crystal Palace
. . . Hollywood & Vine
. . . Cape May Café
. . . Garden Grove
. . . Chef Mickey's

For princess interaction, try Aukerhaus breakfast in Epcot.

If things haven't changed, she'll get to meet 5 princesses.. in a castle. And the breakfast foods will all be familiar, without the Norwegian slant that's there the rest of the day.

And drag out an old Halloween princess costume to throw over her shorts and T for the meal. The princesses will refer to her as "princess" or "Your majesty."

Auderhaus is a good one.. you get to meet Belle and get a picture right off the bat then all the princesses... one of my daughters favs.. plus you just outside of the Frozen ride... but i would FP that ride if could.. standby is still pretty brutal.

Having a daughter I have watched her grow up on these trips and meals. I prefer Akershus over CRT mostly because of the cost and the food is better. She preferred (and still does) Garden Grill over Chef Mickey's but we both love the breakfast at Tusker House and Ohana's (for Stitch of course).

Cape May on a non-park day. If it has to be a park day then Crystal Palace

Kae

We really Ohana, partly for the characters, but also because it is not a buffet. Everything is brought to the table and served family style. You can order more of any of the items. Never a worry about missing the characters and you don't have to try and manage a little one while carrying your own plate.

Personally, Crystal Palace is my favorite and it has the Pooh characters. I don't know why but it feels less chaotic there (to me) then most of the other buffets. Also, I really think it has the best character buffet food.

That being said, buffets are kind of stressful with the littlest ones. So Akerhaus or CRT might be best. Also, there is Boy Voyage Breakfast at Trattoria al Forno. I have eaten breakfast there before they started the character breakfast. It was really good(!) We are trying the charater breakfast there on our upcoming trip!

Cape May Cafe - all other character meals can only hope to be as good as it. Excellent food and service. They have Minnie, Donald, and Goofy.

Second would be 1900 park fare for either breakfast or dinner. Breakfast is Pooh, Mad Hatter, Alice, and Mary Poppins. Dinner is Cinderella, Prince Charming, Drizella, and Anastasia.

Both have good character interactions and service. 1900 PF is a bit more crowded than Cape May but not too crowded.

Avoid Chef Mickey's, Hollywood and Vine, and Akershus. They have poor food and service. Tusker House isn't bad but very overrated.

I would do either Crystal Palace or Akershus. You really can't go wrong with either! I find Crystal Palace to have the best character interaction with little ones. I've been very impressed with them at every trip, and in my experience, they just seem so much more patient and relatable with kids under 3, as compared to other costume character meals.

That said though, we also tried Akershus at our last trip & it has become a must do for future trips! The princesses are very sweet, very in character, and the restaurant in itself is so well organized in their interactions!

You really can't lose with either one!

On the flipside, we've been very disappointed with character interactions at Chef Mickeys & Tusker House. Very chaotic & loud atmosphere, character interactions don't seem very organized, and the interactions themselves seem very robotic and impersonal. Food was mediocre to poor at both as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter