If you could do one thing differently when purchasing DVC what would it be?

I would have tried harder to convince DW that it's a terrible deal and would have saved the money. I've found it to be obscenely overpriced for the value of the product, even at resale. It's a mediocre product, at best, and it exhibits the same problems of anything where you pay too much up front. (no incentive for DVD to do more than the bare minimum possible)

Just my opinion though. I could feed a lot of homeless cats for $48K, and they'd appreciate it more than the execs who just used that to pad their wealth.

Feline aids is the number 1 killer of domesticated cats

I would have tried harder to convince DW that it's a terrible deal and would have saved the money. I've found it to be obscenely overpriced for the value of the product, even at resale. It's a mediocre product, at best, and it exhibits the same problems of anything where you pay too much up front. (no incentive for DVD to do more than the bare minimum possible)

Just my opinion though. I could feed a lot of homeless cats for $48K, and they'd appreciate it more than the execs who just used that to pad their wealth.

I'm considering buying DVC in a year or so, so I'm trying to do as much diligence as I can. I realize that on this board, the vast majority of people posting are going to be happy about their purchases, so I'm interested in hearing about the downside as well. Was there a specific resort or incident that changed your mind? Did you end up going less frequently? 'I've been finding with our recent trips that renting points still yields a lower average per night cost than booking an equivalent hotel room at WDW, so I'd love to hear your thoughts as a counterpoint. Also feel free to PM if you'd be more comfortable that way. Thanks!

I'm considering buying DVC in a year or so, so I'm trying to do as much diligence as I can. I realize that on this board, the vast majority of people posting are going to be happy about their purchases, so I'm interested in hearing about the downside as well. Was there a specific resort or incident that changed your mind? Did you end up going less frequently? 'I've been finding with our recent trips that renting points still yields a lower average per night cost than booking an equivalent hotel room at WDW, so I'd love to hear your thoughts as a counterpoint. Also feel free to PM if you'd be more comfortable that way. Thanks!

I've posted about this at length so I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I've owned for almost 2 years now and and would love to sell the deeds. Owning DVC has been nothing but a money pit for a product that diminishes in quality every time. And it's convoluded, disorganized, and seems to always err in their favor unless you're constantly on top of things.

The problem is really the same as paying a building or remodeling contractor up front. Once they have your money, the incentive to provide a service is gone. Timeshares, including DVC, are no different.

That's smart, Disney is expensive and DVC isn't for everyone. But if you'll use points only at DVC resorts, plan at least 7 months out, can afford it (to me that's pay cash with no consumer debt), will at least every 2 years, value staying on property enough to pay more and are OK with the risks and compromises of a timeshare; DVC makes sense.

I've posted about this at length so I don't want to beat a dead horse, but I've owned for almost 2 years now and and would love to sell the deeds. Owning DVC has been nothing but a money pit for a product that diminishes in quality every time. And it's convoluded, disorganized, and seems to always err in their favor unless you're constantly on top of things.

The problem is really the same as paying a building or remodeling contractor up front. Once they have your money, the incentive to provide a service is gone. Timeshares, including DVC, are no different.
To a degree, it's not as bad as getting scammed but it's a long term commitment that will cont to increase yearly even when other things don't. But you can certainly get out of it. Even if you're upside down, all you're doing if you sell now, is admitting it. DVC's not bad but they are not as good as they could be. My experience tells me that other timeshares do the little things better, often including the ones with sleazy sales systems. Those that need to be continually courted need not apply, it's a prepaid room. It's a timeshare, nothing more or less, in this instances club simply means timeshare.

To a degree, it's not as bad as getting scammed but it's a long term commitment that will cont to increase yearly even when other things don't. But you can certainly get out of it. Even if you're upside down, all you're doing if you sell now, is admitting it. DVC's not bad but they are not as good as they could be. My experience tells me that other timeshares do the little things better, often including the ones with sleazy sales systems. Those that need to be continually courted need not apply, it's a prepaid room. It's a timeshare, nothing more or less, in this instances club simply means timeshare.

I agree completely. It's a mediocre timeshare. Some are better, a lot are worse. However, DVC commands a huge premium, so it's not unreasonable to expect better quality. Naive? Maybe. :) But not unreasonable IMHO. Resale potential is it's most redeeming attribute.

The only caveat I have is that the wife won't let me sell. If it were up to me, the deeds would already be under contract!

I agree completely. It's a mediocre timeshare. Some are better, a lot are worse. However, DVC commands a huge premium, so it's not unreasonable to expect better quality. Naive? Maybe. :) But not unreasonable IMHO. Resale potential is it's most redeeming attribute.

The only caveat I have is that the wife won't let me sell. If it were up to me, the deeds would already be under contract!
The worst part is that other than the smaller rooms and less functional studios, the rest could be easily fixed with some leadership and effort. Even the studios could be made a lot better with minimal changes.

The worst part is that other than the smaller rooms and less functional studios, the rest could be easily fixed with some leadership and effort. Even the studios could be made a lot better with minimal changes.
Doing the minimum to get by seems to be Disney's M.O. lately, unfortunately. It's not likely to change unless people quit going, which is highly unlikely. Too bad; it used to be such a great experience.

Doing the minimum to get by seems to be Disney's M.O. lately, unfortunately. It's not likely to change unless people quit going, which is highly unlikely. Too bad; it used to be such a great experience.
I don't think it's necessarily doing the minimum but I think they're trying to be so efficient that they have lost track of the needs of the guests in many cases and when they put things off for efficiency, they tend to fall through the cracks. Doing room deliveries for needed items on an hourly basis not their regular rounds would be efficient if they did it well. Here's an example, the last time we were there they forgot out midweek T & T. I called early afternoon, maybe 2:30 to 3 and according to the person in housekeeping, they were between shifts and there was no one available, not even someone tied up otherwise. The worst part is that it really doesn't take any more work to do things the right way, it just takes leadership and effort.

I don't think it's necessarily doing the minimum but I think they're trying to be so efficient that they have lost track of the needs of the guests in many cases and when they put things off for efficiency, they tend to fall through the cracks. Doing room deliveries for needed items on an hourly basis not their regular rounds would be efficient if they did it well. Here's an example, the last time we were there they forgot out midweek T & T. I called early afternoon, maybe 2:30 to 3 and according to the person in housekeeping, they were between shifts and there was no one available, not even someone tied up otherwise. The worst part is that it really doesn't take any more work to do things the right way, it just takes leadership and effort.

That's true in many areas, but other areas are simply cost containment. I'm getting way off topic here but have you had this misfortune of attempting to eat at Tony's restaurant in MK? Literally, I would have preferred to dumpster dive at the Olive Garden on Vineland Road. That is NOT an exaggeration either. It takes a special level of not caring to serve the slop they brought out to us. Whether it's ceiling fans, mug handles, hot tubs not working, taking 30 minutes to check in because "online checkin didn't complete the process" (whatever that means?!).. it's just becoming a more and more inferior product. C'est la vie.

Way back in '94 I was at WDW, and they tried to sell me on the original DVC. They used the ability to use points for booking the Poly as an incentive. I did the math of booking CRO vs using DVC points, and it did not make sense, so we passed. No one told me that using DVC points for Poly was a terrible value. I did not understand that I'd need less than 1/2 as many points to stay at what is now OKW. Had I known, I probably would have bought then.

Fast forward to 2013.

I was planning to bring all 6 of my grandkids to WDW, with thier parents. My plan was 3 separate trips in a 2br spread across 3 years. The plan was to sell after the 3 trips. Buying resale, even after assuming 20% depreciation and selling costs it would be less than 3 cash booking at AA.

I bought the points, took the trips, had a great time.

Then we took another trip.

Have 2more booked.

So what was the mistake? I should have bought more points. Lots more. I have a serious case of addonitis, but prices now are significantly higher than they were in 2013.

I'm similar -- except I'm taking both sets of GPs on two separate trips!

I thought you loved floating in the lazy river at SAB?

The one thing I wish I would have done was do more than just 25 points direct add-on. I originally bought a 150 loaded contract at VGF back in May 2016. I then found a cheap 130 point VGF contract ($122 a point) a month later and snagged that one. I was wanting to get the membership benefits, so I wanted to do an add-on. I noticed that BCV was incredibly hard to book, so I figured I should get a contract there as well -- but I only did the minimum 25 points. I wish I had done 35 or even 50 points. 25 points does not go very far. At best I can only do a few days every three years during F&W. I'm thinking I might need to buy a BCV resale to make it work better.

Therefore, if you're going to do an add-on -- if it is for 25 points, do it at your home resort. If you want another home resort, do more than 25 -- or plan on buying another contract resale. Otherwise, those 25 points are not enough to do anything, and you'll basically have points you can only use at 7 months.

I would have bought points at the GCV instead of SSR. Over the past 4 years we have used all of our points at the GCV and that 11 month window sure would be nice. The first three years, we did WDW, Cabo, and Disneyland but now it's all Disneyland. SSR was wonderful when we stayed at the THV and it's been easy to get reservations at AKV. We are thinking abut WDW in late 2017 so we'll see.

I purchased a loaded 200 point contract with an October use year. While this has worked out wonderfully and no real regrets, I think if I had understood use year a little better I would have gone for a June use year. I toyed with the idea of 2 100 point contracts to give to adult children, but the truth is my daughter's family could not manage the annual dues.
What is the difference in terms of the October vs. June use year for you?

I would have purchased BWV a lot sooner. Of the 4 resorts I owned, it is the only one I paid peak value for. It's a 70 pointer that was around $110. But, it is the perfect sized contract for us. I didn't mind paying that price because the contract sizenis very difficult to find.
Other than that, I am happy that I have points at the 3 resorts that have the best value at WDW (BWV, BLT and AK). I enjoy them all. Figuring out which one is the best is like figuring out which kid I love more. I like alternating between the 3 resorts, and most of all I can book these at 11 months and not fight it out with the masses at 7.

Honestly I have no complaints. We bought resale in 2014 with 160 points at AKV. We just stayed at AKV for the first time on the points, and we really, really enjoyed the resort. So I'm happy with my home resort. I would like to say the typical "I only wish we had bought more points" and while that is true - I really would like to have about double the points I have now, but I could not afford it, so I can say maybe I wish we had gotten 20-40 more points on THIS contract. Either way I was always considering that we would eventually get another contract.

Here's my one piece of advice: wait for the next recession before you buy!!!

We've gone 8 years without a recession. It's only a matter of time. During the last recession prices at BWV, VWL, SSR, OKW were in the $55 range! Beach Club for $80, Bay Lake for $90! Prices will literally drop 20% during the next recession.

I think the same way!! I figure there almost HAS to be a recession in the next 5 years - especially the way the stock market is being manipulated by the Fed/central bank. Assuming that I don't lose my job in the whole thing - that has always been my plan for a second contract - wait until a recession and buy low.

Another thing I keep thinking about is what is going to happen to the contracts as the leases approach the end - resorts like BCV and WLV that are going at such a premium only have 26 years left. Most people don't think about this, but in another 10-15 years the values on these contracts will start to plummet when they only have 10 years left vs the 25-30 of BLT, Poly, and AKV. (I don't know that that is advice of any kind, but for myself I will only buy resorts with longer contracts because of this.)

Would of bought earlier, only bought in 2010, also would of bought more points. Bought OKW resale at $59 a point.

My only regret is not purchasing sooner. I researched and saved for about 5 years and purchased BCV in 2012 which turned out to be a great time to buy in. My contract is now worth almost double what I paid. It was even a loaded contract and I was able to sell some points which made it an even better value. Today's prices are insanely high. I would love a second contract but I'm hoping prices come down a bit first.

My answer will not likely be helpful to you, but since you asked...I would've bought more points, hindsight being 20/20. I purchased 160 points direct back in '09. Incentives were great at the time; I received a 10% discount, 160 developer points and one other incentive that escapes me, I believe $500 towards the downpayment.

In any case, I figured 160 was plenty for visiting WDW every other year with a stay in either a one or two bedroom. Mind you, this was before Aulani and before my SIL moved to South Carolina which makes staying at HH a necessity when we visit.;) My eldest son just got married, so I gifted he and his new bride a week at AKV for their honeymoon but had to forfeit my week at Aulani since we have a family trip to WDW coming up next fall which consists of one studio for 15 nights and a 2nd studio for 6 nights.

Yes, I'm in a perpetual state of borrowing points. That being said, I only financed for a very short period of time and paid off my DVC years ago. I'm just waiting for it to be financially feasible for me to do a 100 point add on (cash or mostly cash) possibly within the next year, especially since I can now take advantage of the cast member discount on DVC thanks to my DIL!

Other than the occasional points famine, I have zero regrets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter