I think we’re done with the parks

cedricandsophie

DIS Veteran
I’m just curious if anyone feels the same. We are DVC members, with over 1000 points at several resorts. We love the ambiance of the resorts and because of our maintenance fees will keep coming yearly. But with the price of tickets continuing to go up, for a family if 4 the multi park ticket is over $800 for a day, we can afford it but the value just isn’t there anymore. I don’t think we will be going to the parks for several years. I’m hoping that others will feel the same way and maybe Disney will realize that there is a point where the prices will drive down attendance. Maybe not, though, based on the huge crowds we saw at Epcot during our last visit.

Anyway, it’s fun fir us to just enjoy the ambiance of the resorts.

We said the same thing on our last vacation. It's just too expensive without an annual pass. We will just visit the resorts and hangout for some fun in the sun at the pool.... and possibly..... go to USO... omg... never done that before.

We love WDW, but the value isn't there for the price anymore. They need to fix this soon. I hear too many people saying the same thing.

Just go less often but for longer. A 10 day pass will cost around $61 per day per person in a low season. But I get what you mean. Disney is expensive. But so is everything else. Since we have dvc, I find other vacations to be more expensive.

Not a DVC owner so coming from a guest paying for room and tickets perspective. No, I have not changed. I have an upcoming 7 night 7 day PH trip coming up in April. I had an AP that I had to let lapse in early Sept because of a temporary change in finances. I'm crossing my fingers and praying to the mouse gods that they will bring back the out of state get a 2nd mortgage on your home and sell your first born AP before I'm able to go again around Dec. 2023. Hindsight and all I realize now I should have just sucked it up and renewed my AP even though I knew I would only have one trip in that renewal period and that way I could have renewed it the next year. I've been going to WDW since 1983, my son grew up going every other year and I have been going at least twice a year and sometimes 3 or 4 times for the last 8 years. I've seen all the changes, price increases, lose of benefits, etc. and I still love going. Yes, it's more crowded, no I don't buy Genie+ (didn't do FP or FP+ that much either), yes it's more expensive. But I still get that contented feeling when I drive under that sign and the first time walking in the parks is still just as magical as it was back in 1983 for both me and my son and now his wife and baby.

Just go less often but for longer. A 10 day pass will cost around $61 per day per person in a low season. But I get what you mean. Disney is expensive. But so is everything else. Since we have dvc, I find other vacations to be more expensive.
haaaa. I love this. I saw that too and told my husband if we went for 10 days we could save money on park tickets! He just about fell on the floor and told me there is no possible way he would ever go to the parks for 10 days. We are down to only two park days per visit when we go and that is with him barely agreeing to it. I know it's the most expensive way to purchase tickets, but it's either that or nothing.

yes, I agree that park tickets have gone up greatly over the past few years!

+ this!

Since our daughter was born, we’ve only done longer (5+ day) trips. Next month we’re doing a cruise, so I added a couple of days to our trip for a quick DLR visit. The two day passes were almost as expensive as our last 5 day trip. Surge pricing, ticket price increases, and adding Genie+ since we have limited park time - it’s really getting to be more of a 1x per year splurge than a fun thing to do on a free weekend. At least the multi-day discount helps bring it down to a more reasonable amount.

I get that there are lots of very good reasons for high ticket prices - not all of them purely related to maximizing profits. But I think it is a fundamental change that Disney needs to fully understand the long term impacts, and tread carefully.

DVC here also. Our last few visits, we've spent less and less time in parks. We go every two years and our last trip was only 2 out 6 days in parks. Spending more time visiting other resorts and relaxing at the pool. Next trip may only be one day because I really want to ride TRON. With rising prices and nothing new in parks it's just not worth it for us.

haaaa. I love this. I saw that too and told my husband if we went for 10 days we could save money on park tickets! He just about fell on the floor and told me there is no possible way he would ever go to the parks for 10 days. We are down to only two park days per visit when we go and that is with him barely agreeing to it. I know it's the most expensive way to purchase tickets, but it's either that or nothing.

yes, I agree that park tickets have gone up greatly over the past few years!
+ this!

Since our daughter was born, we’ve only done longer (5+ day) trips. Next month we’re doing a cruise, so I added a couple of days to our trip for a quick DLR visit. The two day passes were almost as expensive as our last 5 day trip. Surge pricing, ticket price increases, and adding Genie+ since we have limited park time - it’s really getting to be more of a 1x per year splurge than a fun thing to do on a free weekend. At least the multi-day discount helps bring it down to a more reasonable amount.

I get that there are lots of very good reasons for high ticket prices - not all of them purely related to maximizing profits. But I think it is a fundamental change that Disney needs to fully understand the long term impacts, and tread carefully.
It's great to hear other people's perspectives and situations. We are from Hawaii, so we don't have a choice but to go once every other year. Going every year would be a splurge. But when we go, we go for 2 weeks so a 10 day passes are great. I've heard visitors from UK and other countries get 15 or 20 day passes. That would be amazing. I'm ok to not have APs, but I do wish Disney offered multi-day passes you can use throughout the year. But I too understand why Disney has priced day tickets the way they have. If it were cheaper, the parks would be even more crowded, which makes me shudder.

Non-DVC/Florida AP here. We just returned from a quick Disney trip. We just had a long talk about doing only 1 sit down Disney table service (character meal or otherwise) per trip since they are ridiculous prices now. For other meals we will mobile order/quick service as well as mix in eating off property (like McD's for breakfast etc.) to save some money. We will also stay off property much more since there are great hotels surrounding Disney with far more amenities that are priced similar to most Values or Moderates. Mousesavers website has tons of great deals on off property Disney World hotels that are fantastic! We may still splurge from time to time, but the prices have hit a tipping point for us.
Also non-DVC/FL AP holder. My last trip I stayed off-site. We’ve been staying at Swolphin for a number of years to use EEHs, but even that’s getting ridiculously expensive. EEH at Epcot are not very productive and paying the premium price for just MK EEH doesn’t return value. I might consider DAH at MK along with an off-site stay next year. I’m sure I won’t be at a Disney resort.

We have a nearby timeshare and love the Disney atmosphere, but not so much the always increasing park admission.

I've been a Disney stockholder for years and hoping that the return of Iger will help things.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter