I Recently Toured The T@b Trailer and Corvette Factories - UPDATED 5/16, 11/16

bama_ed

It's kind of fun to do the impossible-Walt Disney
All,

The past week or so I was on the road up to Ohio to camp out and visit family in my birth state. However, it is my nature to "sight see" along the way. On the way up to my destination, I stopped in Sugarcreek, Ohio at a non-descript building to take a tour of the Pleasant Valley manufacturing building where they build the T@b, T@g, Little Guy, and a new truck trailer. http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/news/little-guy-announces-cirrus-truck-campers

Although I own an Aliner, the T@b teardrop is a draw for many people. I was most interested in the T@b Clamshell model (kitchen in back) which was NOT in production that day but nevertheless I saw several beautiful trailers - there's one there to make everyone happy.

Pleasant Valley is the manufacturing company that builds T@bs. Little Guys is the sales company that you see as the company providing trailers to dealers - they work together very smoothly.

PV does a LOT of building in house (cabinets, frames, etc.) and works several lines (one for Little Guys, one for T@b/T@g, and one for Cirrus (the new truck trailer). The units are pushed down the line on a single rail to the next work station and supplies line both sides of a work line. After about 12 stations, a trailer is finished and ready to go.

What are these trailers? Little Guy was a company that started out selling small teardrops just big enough to sleep in. Small and light was the concept.

In 2009 they bought the US rights to the T@b line of trailers from the Dutchman company that stopped making them in the economic downturn. They were originally designed by a German company. Little Guy made improvements to the design and began building the teardrop T@B in 2011.

Then Little Guy merged the two concepts and designs to create the T@G, a Little Guy with T@B design concepts.

Enough talk. Let's see some pix of the plant. I visited on a Friday afternoon when the work crew was gone so I could get up close.

Here is the T@b/T@g line from the 2nd floor. Note the units nearest us are early in the build process and the ones further away are more finished. Supplies for this line are on both sides.

Here is the woodshop where raw sheet wood is made into countertops, desks, and cabinets to go in the trailers.

Here is the woodshop raw material receiving area.

Materials from the 2nd floor are dropped down a slide to the production floor as needed for each unit. Does your unit require a cupboard door face? It comes down the slide from the 2nd floor.

Here is the new pickup truck trailer line they are building (new this year I think). It's called Cirrus IIRC.

Between the production lines are corridors for stocking the build materials (forklifts, etc.). It's just in time production in action.

More to come and I have a new product announcement later on.

Bama Ed

PS - the Corvette part will come at the end.

Last edited:
Continuing our tour...

Also up on the 2nd floor are top parts of the aluminum frames for the roofs. The smaller ones on the left are for
T@gs and the right bigger ones are T@bs.

The folks at PV seem honest, hard working, well intentioned, and like they care about quality:

Stacks of trailer frames are ready to go.

I'm down on the floor now on T@b/T@g line.

The Aldi option (tankless water heater) is open for all to see.

Interior cupboards and countertops with sinks are being installed.

As I said, the trailers ride a rail as they slide from station to station as they are assembled.

What color trim do you want? It's all here.

Tops and side panels are installed and it's beginning to look like the finished product.

Add the trim and it's almost ready to take home.

Stay tuned for more pix and I will tell mummer why there might be hope (if you can wait for a year).

Bama Ed

Continuing...

Looks like a little flushie is ready to go in.

Off-road model option.

Fridge and stove ready to go.

Storage and wiring.

Front window is in.

The inside looks finished finally (as we moved down the line).

A cute little (and I do mean little) potty/shower stall.

This unit was on the end of the production line. It looked ready to hitch up to my Suburban. ::yes::

All labels, tags, and stickers are applied.

There was one Little Guy Silver Shadow IIRC clamshell on the end of the Little Guy production line.

Now for the product announcement. Mummer this might make you happy.

In the first post I showed the raw wood receiving area with that big white wall behind it. That is a temporary wall. PV moved into this building (new) between Christmas and New Years 2014 and after January 1, 2016 that wall will come down for a further plant expansion. A new, bigger T@b trailer will be produced that has a permanent bed in the back and the front dinette folds down for a 3rd person/2nd sleeping position. The German company is already making it. As my tour guide told me, "Customers are SCREAMING for a bigger T@B". Here is a review of the German model with pictures:

http://www.practicalcaravan.com/reviews/caravan/29648-tb-l-400td

PV will make design improvements probably but will likely keep the look of this new model. I would expect it to begin production in Fall 2016. Obviously no word on pricing but it is coming...

Bama Ed

PS - I will close in a few days with a brief description of my visit to the Corvette assembly plant in Bowling Green, KY. Not camper or Fort related, but cool all the same.

Last edited:
In the first post I showed the raw wood receiving area with that big white wall behind it. That is a temporary wall. PV moved into this building (new) between Christmas and New Years 2014 and after January 1, 2016 that wall will come down for a further plant expansion. A new, bigger T@b trailer will be produced that has a permanent bed in the back and the front dinette folds down for a 3rd person/2nd sleeping position. The German company is already making it. As my tour guide told me, "Customers are SCREAMING for a bigger T@B". Here is a review of the German model with pictures:

':jumping1: :woohoo: :dogdance: :dancer: :cool1:

Awesome pics and story! I can most definitely wait a year for a bigger model! TBH, there is no way the budget will allow for one for at least a few years!

Thanks Bama Ed!

Mummer, you are QUITE welcome. Going through the tour when the guide made the comment about the bigger T@b coming, I said to myself, "Mummer will like to hear that news". :yay:

Closing out the thread, on the way home to Alabama driving down I-65 in Kentucky, I had arranged to take the tour of the Corvette Assembly Plant in Bowling Green, KY. I have driven past it SO many times and seen many delivery trucks loaded with Vettes and as a kid (okay and recently) wishing one of the Vettes would just roll off the back of a delivery truck (as I was passing it) and coast to a stop at the side of the interstate for me to hop into and drive home.

Pictures are not permitted during the tour but I will pass on one story. I'm not really a car guy but by the end of the tour, I was a Corvette fan. At the end of the tour, we reached the point where the cars are completed and are started for the first time and driven off the assembly line to prepare for delivery. That first turning over of the engine is sort of the "birth" of the car. :rolleyes:

At that point in the tour they selected one tour member to come inside the ropes and sit in a Vette and push the START button. Well I was chosen! The cockpit wrapped around my big rear end and the engine rumbled to life. I was too excited but I think it was a red sedan with the upgrade engine (not a Z06). So since I was that car's "daddy" they observed the occasion.

The tour is only $7 scheduled in advance and offered to the public twice a day. Well worth a 60-90 minute stop to see a great American classic rolling down the assembly line.

Okay, I'm done here! :sunny:

Bama Ed

Cool stuff, I have a 2000 C5 Corvette. I have had it since I was 23. I've been to Corvette Museum twice but never toured the GM Plant. It's on my bucket list as well. It was a shame when the sink hole did the damage to the Museum. The T@B Trailer plant looked neat as well. Thanks for posting Ed, cool stuff!

Good tour guide Ed. We are still hoping for the Mammoth Cave trip next year and are planning on touring the museum and a distillery or two while we are up there.

Great job man.

Go for it tiggerdad.

I recently read that the Jellystone RV Park near Mammoth Cave (Cave City, KY) was rated one of the Top Ten Campgrounds for Families by the Travel Channel. http://jellystonemammothcave.com/ When I went on this trip I stayed at an RV park on the other side of the Interstate in Cave City (got in very late, left very early). The National Park sites don't have electrical hookups - I spent one night there years ago and took a tour through the original entrance which was cool.

Bama Ed

Yep, we already sited the Jellystone as our place to stay. Figure on staying several days to allow for caves and trails. I got a special liking for national parks. I want my kids to appreciate them, but not from the road. I mean from the trails.

That jellystone gives the kids something fun to do to help break up the exploring of the park tiredness.

When we go that way we'll head through Nashville. Who knows, maybe have lunch with @2goofycampers and @Born 2 Fish .

Notice I tagged them. Hint, hint.

Time for an update. phillymummer, you still out there?

Pleasant Valley Trailers (who builds the T@b trailers and other lines I mention at the top of the thread) announced the EXPANSION of their manufacturing building in April 2016. Could it be the expansion I mentioned above that would add space to build the bigger T@b?

It is a cached article from local newspaper but it's coming.....

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...0421/NEWS/160429790+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

• Pleasant Valley Teardrop Trailers' growth leading to expansion, tax break
  • A Sugarcreek company has received a tax break for a planned expansion of its facility for building camping trailers.
  • By Nancy Molnar

Times-Reporter staff writer

Posted Apr. 21, 2016 at 3:41 PM

A Sugarcreek company has received a tax break for a planned expansion of its facility for building camping trailers.Pleasant Valley Teardrop Trailers, LLC, expects to add 40 employees within two years at a total projected annual payroll of $1.6 million, according to Scott Reynolds, enterprise zone manager for Tuscarawas County."It's very good news for the village of Sugarcreek and Tuscarawas County," he said.County commissioners approved a tax abatement agreement with the company on Thursday that calls for the company to spend between $2.75 million and $3.8 million. A 75,000-square-foot building will be subject to a 75 percent, 10 year property tax abatement.Commissioner Belle Everett commended Teardrop Trailers' owner Joe Mullet for compensating his employees well."He's got a great operation there and I want one of those trailers," she said."Most of them have flat-screen TVs in them," said Commissioner Chris Abbuhl. "Some of them have little kitchens. You can even get a shower."Reynolds said the company sells trailers under its own name as well as making the Little Guy brand.Given the lowest estimated construction costs, the company would still pay an additional $12,000 a year on the new building, according to Reynolds. About $36,000 a year in real estate taxes would be forgone as a result of the tax abatement. After 10 years, the new building would be fully taxed.If payroll rises above $1 million per year, the village's 1.5 percent income tax on the additional payroll would be shared equally by Sugarcreek and the Garaway School District, Reynolds said.

Bama Ed

I'm still lurking around these parts! Thanks for the update! I am keeping my fingers crossed!! And hoping the bigger model is available with the "clam shell"!

Last edited:
UPDATE!

I was checking out these pics and the Little Guy website again......dreaming of buying one when I decided to ask about the dimensions of the bench in the clamshell model. Here is my message and the response.

My inquiry:
I am very interested in the CS model, but the only issue is we are a family of three. Would a person be able to sleep on the "bench" in the CS model? What are the dimensions?
The clamshell model is the only model we are interested in. We LOVE camping and want to cook outside during our trips.

The response from Little Guy:
I don't believe anyone could sleep there. It is only about 18" deep and 40" long. We do plan to incorporate a bunk into future models.

:banana::cheer2:

I thought you might like to hear this, Bama Ed!

UPDATE!

I was checking out these pics and the Little Guy website again......dreaming of buying one when I decided to ask about the dimensions of the bench in the clamshell model. Here is my message and the response.

My inquiry:
I am very interested in the CS model, but the only issue is we are a family of three. Would a person be able to sleep on the "bench" in the CS model? What are the dimensions?
The clamshell model is the only model we are interested in. We LOVE camping and want to cook outside during our trips.

The response from Little Guy:
I don't believe anyone could sleep there. It is only about 18" deep and 40" long. We do plan to incorporate a bunk into future models.

:banana::cheer2:

I thought you might like to hear this, Bama Ed!

I did love hearing it. 'Course, I knew it was coming all along (I mean since I had stuck my neck out long ago and said so. :teeth: Dammit it better be coming or else I'm :scared:).

Here's hoping you aren't shocked by the price tag whenever it comes out. However, if you end up ordering one of the new larger T@b trailers, mummer, I suggest you merge my Corvette experience in and find out when your trailer will be pushing down the assembly line and you be there to watch its birth. Maybe they will let you hammer a nail or turn a screw or otherwise make a ceremonial contribution to its creation.

I learned in the Corvette plant that owners who pre-order can come on the day their car rolls down the line and drive it off at the end. You can even pay extra to come a few days early and "build" the motor with a GM technician over your shoulder telling you every turn and twist to make (and he goes behind you tightening things up). They will stamp "Built by Bama Ed" on the engine block since I paid for the privilege. That way at the Vette rallies when I brag, "yeah, I built this baby" and somebody calls my bluff, I can pop the hood and show them the stamp on the engine block. So you should go to the T@b factory and share in your trailer's creation.

Can't wait for the announcement. Start saving your pennies. :crazy:

Bama Ed

PS - for comparison purposes, I checked British pricing where the big T@b is available. For comparison, their basic 320 model (similar to the current T@b) runs 8,900 Pounds Sterling or about $11,600 at today's exchange rates (which is low for a T@b in the US) before add-ons. The T@b L400TD (the biggie) in Britain today is 15,700 Pounds Sterling or about $20,500 before add-ons. And these aren't clamshell models but all I'm saying is you might want to save a few nickels, dimes, and quarters to go along with those pennies in your piggy bank.

Last edited:
That model looks so cool! Too bad is isn't a clam shell, though. :sad1: Maybe another model will come out soon.

That model looks so cool! Too bad is isn't a clam shell, though. :sad1: Maybe another model will come out soon.

Mummer, I'll just cut to the chase and tell you that in the forum link above, on page 7 someone asked about a clamshell model for the larger T@b and the answer was "not planned at this time". Personally from an engineering standpoint, I can tell you it won't happen. They're going to get this up and running and fine tune it first.

There might be an off-road type new model in the future or a one with an interior that's classic/1950s style but my prediction is no clamshell (although I won't say "forever" because forever is a mighty long time, no?).

It will be interesting to see what they price this new biggie at.

Bama Ed

Thanks Bama Ed! I didn't read all of the comments in the forum link. It does make me sad that they won't do a model with a clam shell but I think I can understand the reasons for it. Honestly, by the time I am able to afford a T@B, my DD will be grown up and out of the house, so a 2-person clamshell would be just fine. That is.... if they are still around in 10 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter