I must be crazy! - An October-November 2016 Solo PTR - Update 10/9 2 Weeks to Go - That's a Wrap

If you can't kick someone when they're down... then what's the point?

Be careful - this is what happens when you trying and kick me when I'm down
729c759bd2e44ecc50cae221eccd5ee7d912ad9657a06b6767411d7f8b364a5e_large

Now that I understand. Every time I write a dollar value down, I almost always write it in US dollars, although sometimes I'll put both just to show the ridiculous exchange rate.
Temperatures however, I almost always put in both Celsius and Fahrenheit.

I'll never use Fahrenheit automatically - it's just dumb. Those five countries who still use it can convert to Celsius like the rest of us!

Never seen How I met your Mother....
Until now! Just succumbed to the inevitable and got Netflix.
Been binge watching it.
Season 1 is done!

That's probably the best season - it sort of goes on a downhill slope from there. Plus avoid the last season - it's terrible and the finale is just one of the worst ever made.

They do have a coffee taste.
I don't like coffee taste either, but I love these things.
But if the slightest taste turns you off, then... yeah. Might want to pass. You can try 1 if you dine at Boma though. And if you don't like it, there's a whole buffet to choose from.

Boma has definitely made the maybe list now that I'll be staying at AKL. Although the Mara has peanut butter brownies so I'll probably just end up there!

The-Mara-Peanut-Butter-Brownie-3-600x543.jpg

Love the new plans! Congrats on finding a cruise you liked though I'm super jealous of the long plans!

Great score on the deluxe room! If nothing else you could go resort hop and do Disney Springs!

Thanks!

The only problem with resort hopping from AKL is that it is so far away from all the rest of them. I'm thinking I'll probably just do resort time and maybe Disney Springs.

Thanks!

The only problem with resort hopping from AKL is that it is so far away from all the rest of them. I'm thinking I'll probably just do resort time and maybe Disney Springs.

Wouldn't be terrible to take a bus to AK and then hop a bus to one of the monorail hotels. You could do a monorail crawl one of the evenings. A drink and appetizer or dessert at each! Then hop off at TTC or epcot or MK and just take a bus back to AKL.

Which was where I left you guys in the last update. I’d put in the request but was still waiting to see if I could be matched with a member. And guess what? I got matched!!! So I will be spending my first two days in Orlando at Animal Kingdom Villas – Jambo House. This will be all resort time as I wont have park tickets but I am super excited.
OMG! How exciting! I absolutely LOVE AKL!!! :simba:

Oh, you want to know what it cost me? I have secured a standard view deluxe studio in Jambo House for two nights for $372.
WHOA. Very nicely done! How exciting! :hyper:

I'll never use Fahrenheit automatically - it's just dumb. Those five countries who still use it can convert to Celsius like the rest of us!
But Celsius 232.78 doesn't sound nearly as good as Fahrenheit 451.

Boma has definitely made the maybe list now that I'll be staying at AKL. Although the Mara has peanut butter brownies so I'll probably just end up there!

Boma breakfast is one of the best breakfasts that I've had at Disney. Though it's a buffet, the food is tasty, it's turned over at a fairly quick clip, so it always tastes nice and fresh, and the variety is nice. Also, the juice is soooo good!

Be careful - this is what happens when you trying and kick me when I'm down
729c759bd2e44ecc50cae221eccd5ee7d912ad9657a06b6767411d7f8b364a5e_large

Wow. You have like an invisible force field!
But why would you be lying in the sidewalk with your bum exposed?

::yes::

Although I don't mind it so much when it's -40 out.

That's probably the best season - it sort of goes on a downhill slope from there. Plus avoid the last season - it's terrible and the finale is just one of the worst ever made.

Oh, great. Now that I'm hooked and have to watch the rest.

Although the Mara has peanut butter brownies so I'll probably just end up there!

You can get zebra domes at the Mara too... but you have to buy 4.

Wouldn't be terrible to take a bus to AK and then hop a bus to one of the monorail hotels. You could do a monorail crawl one of the evenings. A drink and appetizer or dessert at each! Then hop off at TTC or epcot or MK and just take a bus back to AKL.

You must be psychic! I was just typing up my next update while I had some free time and it was all about my plans for a monorail crawl!

OMG! How exciting! I absolutely LOVE AKL!!! :simba:

WHOA. Very nicely done! How exciting! :hyper:

Thanks - I'm looking forward to it and being able to relax without feeling like I'm missing out on the parks.

But Celsius 232.78 doesn't sound nearly as good as Fahrenheit 451.

:laughing:

Boma breakfast is one of the best breakfasts that I've had at Disney. Though it's a buffet, the food is tasty, it's turned over at a fairly quick clip, so it always tastes nice and fresh, and the variety is nice. Also, the juice is soooo good!

All the reviews I've read are pretty similar to yours. Although I'm guessing the juice is that POG/jungle juice they seem to serve everywhere and I'm not of fan of that.

Wow. You have like an invisible force field!
But why would you be lying in the sidewalk with your bum exposed?

Because clearly it would be a standard Saturday night :confused3

::yes::

Although I don't mind it so much when it's -40 out.

You and your weird super minus temps! We get to -10 and that's cold enough for me.

Oh, great. Now that I'm hooked and have to watch the rest.

You ever know, you may be one of those few special people who actually enjoys it.

You can get zebra domes at the Mara too... but you have to buy 4.

I did know that. I will be as likely to by 4 as I will be to 1 :rotfl:

Some years back, I went on the free tour at AKL where they talk about the restaurants. At end of tour they gave each person a free zebradome. Don't know if they still do that.

Another fun and free activity at AKL is night viewing of the animals.

Also, not free or even cheap, but the night safari open only to AKL guests looks interesting.

Because clearly it would be a standard Saturday night :confused3

:rotfl:

You and your weird super minus temps! We get to -10 and that's cold enough for me.

I love -10!! So warm and toasty. Don't even have to plug in the car.

You ever know, you may be one of those few special people who actually enjoys it.

I don't get it. If it was so lousy, why did it last so long???

I did know that. I will be as likely to by 4 as I will be to 1 :rotfl:

I know!

Some years back, I went on the free tour at AKL where they talk about the restaurants. At end of tour they gave each person a free zebradome. Don't know if they still do that.

Another fun and free activity at AKL is night viewing of the animals.

Also, not free or even cheap, but the night safari open only to AKL guests looks interesting.

I did look into the night safari but it's about $70 and for that I could do a really nice dinner at Jiko. And my stomach always overrules my head :cutie:

I love -10!! So warm and toasty. Don't even have to plug in the car.

You plug in your car?

image.jpeg

I don't get it. If it was so lousy, why did it last so long???

It's just that it gets progressively worse - so still good but not great on a slow slide down to mediocre. That can take a few years!

Last edited:
You plug in your car?

images

It usually doesn't get this bad. But, if it's -20C or lower and your poor car is outside and your block heater is not plugged in to keep the oil pan warmed, there will be no vroom-vroom later when you try to turn your key. It once took my car 4 days to thaw in my unheated garage once it had been towed home...

What she said. And the farther north you go.... When I lived in Churchill, MB I had three plugs on my car. One for the block heater, one for the in-car heater (nothing like sitting on a hard frozen seat) and a battery blanket to keep the battery from freezing solid.
Ah, good times. You haven't lived til you've walked across town to a friend's place when it's -45 out with 80kmh winds.

It's just that it gets progressively worse - so still good but not great on a slow slide down to mediocre. That can take a few years!

Great. I have so much to look forward to!!!

images

It usually doesn't get this bad. But, if it's -20C or lower and your poor car is outside and your block heater is not plugged in to keep the oil pan warmed, there will be no vroom-vroom later when you try to turn your key. It once took my car 4 days to thaw in my unheated garage once it had been towed home...

What she said. And the farther north you go.... When I lived in Churchill, MB I had three plugs on my car. One for the block heater, one for the in-car heater (nothing like sitting on a hard frozen seat) and a battery blanket to keep the battery from freezing solid.
Ah, good times. You haven't lived til you've walked across town to a friend's place when it's -45 out with 80kmh winds.

Whoa. That is an intense ice situation. Will it make you happy or sad if I say people in Canberra complain when it gets this cold?
BsdKeeDCcAAPDty.jpg:large

:laughing:

37 Weeks to Go

Because it’s going to be a little while before I’m able to book anything else (or my credit card will let me) I thought I’d use this week’s (and the next couple of) update to start planning out some of the things I want to do in WDW. What better way to start then with an nice adult beverage or two. No, not drinking around the world (that will come later) but it does involve changing locations.

Have you guessed yet?

Still guessing?

giphy.gif

Ok, you got it right, it’s monorail crawl time.

I’m thinking that the best time to do this will be one of the nights I’m staying at VWL because it will be the easiest to get back to after a few drinks.

I kind of want to end up at the Polynesian but it doesn’t really make sense seeing as it is the middle stop, so I’m left doing in the order than the monorail route planners intended.

After taking the boat (or bus) from VWL I’ll board the monorail at MK and head straight for the Contemporary. (I know I could walk this but it is a monorail crawl after all!)

The Contemporary has a few different options where I could stop in for a beverage and a snack. I could stop at The Sand Bar and overlook the pool.

upload_2016-2-6_10-6-59.png

Here I’d order the Banana Cabana - Cruzan Mango Rum, Coruba Coconut Rum, Crème de Banana, Orange and Pineapple Juice and a float of Grenadine ($9.50) as my beverage and maybe a Mickey Pretzel as my snack.

upload_2016-2-6_10-7-22.png

Or I could go to the Wave Lounge.

upload_2016-2-6_10-7-34.png

Here the Buffalo Chicken Flatbread would be calling my name alongside a Pimm’s Punch (Pimm's No. 1 Liqueur, Hendrick's, Odwalla Lemonade, and Wild Strawberry)

upload_2016-2-6_10-7-44.png

Or the final option would be the Outer Rim. I’m leaning towards this one because look at those views!

upload_2016-2-6_10-7-59.png

Here I’d want to order the Pimm’s Punch or the Pina CoLAVA (BACARDI BLACK RAZZ Rum with Piña Colada Mix and Raspberry Purée)

upload_2016-2-6_10-8-11.png

So out of the Sand Bar, the Wave Lounge or the Outer Rim where would you go?

After the Contemporary stop it would be back on the monorail and off towards the Polynesian.

I’m sure you’ve figured out where I’ll go here but let’s consider the options first. We have the Barefoot Pool Bar.

upload_2016-2-6_10-8-33.png

If I were to choose here I’d order the Mango Margarita (Patrón Silver Tequila blended with Mango Purée topped with a Passion Fruit-Mango Foam)

upload_2016-2-6_10-8-45.png

Or I could go to the Tambu Lounge.

upload_2016-2-6_10-8-54.png

Where I’d order the Lapu Lapu (Myer’s Original Dark Rum and Tropical Fruit Juices with Bacardi 151 Rum), because hello it’s served in a pineapple! I’d also order the Bread Pudding as my snack just to see what all the fuss is about.

upload_2016-2-6_10-9-4.png

Continued in Part 2

And that leaves the place I’m 99% picking – Trader Sam’s Grog Grotto.

upload_2016-2-6_10-10-31.png
Here I’d obviously break the bank and order one of the drinks with a souvenir glass (but not the nautilus – I cannot pay $50 for a drink). I’m thinking of either the Uh-Oa! (Myers’s Original Dark Rum, Bacardi Superior Rum, Orange, Passion Fruit, Guava, Pineapple, and Grapefruit Juices, Falernum, Cinnamon, and fresh Lime Juice. Recommended for Two or more Guests. Served in a souvenir Tiki Bowl) but that’s mainly for the effects because it’s still a $40 drink or the HippopotaMaiTai (Coruba Dark Rum, Bacardi Superior Rum, Bols Orange Curaçao, Orgeat (Almond), Organic Agave Nectar, and fresh Lime Juice). It will probably be the later.

upload_2016-2-6_10-10-44.png

And I’d want the Chicken Lettuce Cups as my snack!

Would you all pick Trader Sam’s or is it overrated?

After the second drink stop it would be back on the monorail to last stop of the crawl – the Grand Floridian. I think this is the trickiest one as it doesn’t have a lot of appealing options.

You’ve got the two pool bars – The Courtyard or Beaches.

upload_2016-2-6_10-10-57.png

These have similar menus where I’d end up picking the Key Lime Cooler (Skyy Citrus Vodka and Key Lime Juice blended with Vanilla Ice Cream) and a Pina Colada Cupcake as my snack.

upload_2016-2-6_10-11-9.png

If the pool bars don’t take my fancy there is the Citricos Lounge.

upload_2016-2-6_10-11-21.png

Here I’d probably order the Antica Umber (Buffalo Trace Bourbon, Solerno Blood Orange, Carpano Antica Sweet Vermouth, Lemon, and Bitters)

Or I could go to Mizner’s Lounge where at least they have some entertainment (even if it is an orchestra).

upload_2016-2-6_10-11-33.png

The snack options here are pretty tempting, like cheese plate or warm-chocolate banana torte tempting. As it would be the last stop I’d probably indulge in a dessert cocktail like the Godiva Chocolate (Stoli Vanil Vodka, Godiva Chocolate Liqueur, White Crème de Cacao, and Frangelico)

upload_2016-2-6_10-11-45.png

Having never been to the GF I’m happy to hear your thoughts on which of the locations you’d pick.

After that last drink it would be back on the monorail to Magic Kingdom and onto a leisurely boat ride back to VWL.

So there are my plan’s for my monorail crawl. Depending on what day I decide to do this (park day or other) I may end up including an actual meal either at the beginning or the end of the crawl.

If you’ve done the monorail crawl before I’d love to hear your experiences, your suggestions and any tips you might have.

After taking the boat (or bus) from VWL I’ll board the monorail at MK and head straight for the Contemporary. (I know I could walk this but it is a monorail crawl after all!)
I think there is a boat that goes between CR and VWL.

Wow! That pub crawl is quite impressive. I think I'd be done after one. Kudos to you for trying it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter