I must be crazy! - An October-November 2016 Solo PTR - Update 10/9 2 Weeks to Go - That's a Wrap

Perspicacity and perversion. You've got everything I love in a woman.

Im-Glad-You-Think-So-Highly-of-Me-Tumblr.gif

Yup! Only 22.5 hours.
So, less than a day!

tumblr_inline_mxcevkBSEk1qejwey.gif

qlTZoZt.gif

Yay for Oct/Nov trips! Is the Garden View tea the one at the GF?
Yes, that's the one! I'd be up for meeting there with readers of this thread. Or has another location already been chosen for an OctNov DisMeet?

Thanks that is helpful. But unfortunately I've had to rearrange some of my trip so now I'll be in Disneyland after WDW (in November) so I'm going to miss their Halloween parties :sad:
It looks like my comment about the Disneyland Halloween party was in your reply accidentally attributed to Saphire5742?

Sorry you'll miss that event, but that gives you a reason to plan yet another trip after this one!

I've done quite a few WDW trips, but this is my first OctNov one!

Yes, that's the one! I'd be up for meeting there with readers of this thread. Or has another location already been chosen for an OctNov DisMeet?

I don't think any locations have been picked yet but I more than happy to meet fellow Disers!

It looks like my comment about the Disneyland Halloween party was in your reply accidentally attributed to Saphire5742?

Sorry you'll miss that event, but that gives you a reason to plan yet another trip after this one!

I've done quite a few WDW trips, but this is my first OctNov one!

Apologies for the misattribution - that's the problem trying to type up a response on an iPad!

Definitely a reason to go back - but in the meantime at least I'll be able to go to the parties at WDW :cutie:

I don't think any locations have been picked yet but I more than happy to meet fellow Disers!

We should plan to do the tea room if we all have overlapping days! We are either 10/27-11/6 or 10/28-11/7

We should plan to do the tea room if we all have overlapping days! We are either 10/27-11/6 or 10/28-11/7
It would be great to do the tea room with you all! My tentative days are 10/29-11/9 (start and end could change by a day or so). I have lunch plans already for 10/30 with another Dis'er. Would like to meet you all on one of the other days.:)

38 Weeks to Go

Seeing as I’ve used the last few weeks’ updates to tell you all about some other parks I thought it time to return to the trip at hand because a lot has happened since I last filled you in on the planning.

Where to start? It’s probably easiest to spreadsheet this one (a spreadsheet is always the answer am I right @Elevationist?) and use it to show you the new additions.

Week 1-2.jpg
Week 3-4.jpg
Week 5-6.jpg

So there it all is. All six weeks of it!

As you can see the new additions are the second cruise (although it comes first chronologically), booking Disneyland and the tentative surprise stay. I was hoping to have an answer on that last past before I posted this but I guess I will leave you hanging until I know :rolleyes1.

A bit more detail on the new additions for you. The cruise. As someone who has said they’d never cruise I’ve now booked not only one but two cruises (and I don’t even know if I’ll enjoy them yet!). When looking at other options to fill in my extra week I decided to have a look at some other cruises just to see what was out there. I did the broadest search possible just using the month of departure and I stumbled upon one that sounded interesting and would take me to places in the US I’d never been before as well as taking me on my first visit to Canada (@pkondz – I tried cruising to Winnipeg but apparently that’s not possible because of the whole being hours away from a coastline thing, jeez). It’s with Royal Caribbean on the Serenade of the Seas and I got a pretty decent rate for it.

RCI_Serenade_of_the_Seas.JPG

I’ll be staying in the smallest room known to man (one of their three studios) but I figure I won’t be spending much time in the room anyway. For the same price of my 3 night cruise on DCL I’m getting 7 nights with RC. Excuse the quality of the pic but they are the only ones I can find which actually show the type of room I’ve booked.

DSCN3945.JPG

The cruise departs from Boston, which is a city I’ve always wanted to visit and makes its way up the New England coast towards Canada before turning back round. It stops in Portland and Bar Harbor in Maine and Saint John and Halifax in Canada so if any of you have tips about things to do in those ports I’m all ears.

So that was the first big thing I’ve booked. But booking it led me to making another booking. Because the cruise is in October (taking advantage of all the beautiful fall foliage) I had to rearrange my initial plan of doing Disneyland before WDW. I’ll now be doing Disneyland in that extra week I have at the end of the trip instead. I started to do some pricing and found of that they were running a special offer through Disney on some good neighbor hotels where you got the 4th night free. This opened up a whole new range of hotels for me. The original plans had me doing three nights with a three day tickets at a moderate hotel for around $730. With the new offer I was able to put a deposit on a four night deluxe package with five day park hoppers for only $930. So for $200 more I get an extra night and two extra days in the park plus it will be in a much nicer hotel – the Anaheim Marriott.

Anaheim MArriot.jpg

King room.jpg

That’s the two big things I’ve booked since the last update - hopefully I can fill you in on the TSS next time.

Oh I’d almost forgotten to show you my Disney (non-park) purchases from my last trip – all from Uniqlo which carry awesome Disney stuff if you’re ever near one.

DSC00929.JPG

DSC00932.JPG

Jumper.jpg

See you next time folks!

Pardon my ignorance, what's the "hours away from a coastline thing"?

Are you still making themed cupcakes each week?

Looking forward to meeting up with you and LilPixie for tea, if that works out!

Thank you for the update - it worked out well for me, since I now need both hands to type so I will stop eating these addictive potato chips that somehow found their way home with me tonight...

It's amazing how often I get to the cashier and realise that potato chips have sneakily made their way into my cart...:rolleyes1

OK, this is just amazing. I'm not sure if I would go back to my job after 6 weeks off in a row - I'm only allowed 2 in a row. (relatively small size violin playing softly)
What am I doing wrong budget wise? Oh yeah, second child in a row in university, and that silly mortgage. But if I win the lottery, 6 weeks in a row at least, I promise.

It's definitely a perk of having a government job in Australia. And you know I have no expensive children or things like that so I can afford to treat myself every so often (my credit cards love me at the moment :cutie:)

I hope you love them as much as I loved my one and only cruise! I get motion sick even on some of the Disney rides, but no problem at all on the cruise. And you are correct, you will not be in your cabin much besides changing or sleeping.

I hope so too - although I'm definitely planning on getting sea-sickness medication from my doctor just in case.

I'm not sure how much time you will have in Halifax, but there are 3 things there that stand out in my memory. You can tour the Halifax Citadel, the site of the first British Fort in the area. You can tour Alexander Keith's Brewery, complete with "tour guides from the 1800's" and a good sample at the end of the tour. And my favorite quirky find was The Art Gallery of Nova Scotia, that has an exhibit and the house of an artist named Maud Lewis, who I think has some of the most amazing Canadian folk art.

Thanks for the suggestions. It's just a port day so I think its between 6-8 hours but I could definitely do a few of those things.

Disney math trimuphs yet again!

It's the only type of maths I enjoy doing :laughing:

Pardon my ignorance, what's the "hours away from a coastline thing"?

It was just a gentle jab at @pkondz and Winnipeg - you can't really cruise (at least ocean cruise) to Winnipeg as it is 2,100 miles to the east coast (Nova Scotia) 1,400 miles to the west coast (Vancouver) and 1.5 hours flight to Hudson Bay (Churchill). That's it :cutie:

Are you still making themed cupcakes each week?

I'm trying to - but haven't been able to for the last few weeks. It's been hectic at work and I've spent the last three days of this week at home in bed with a cold so I haven't felt up to doing it. But I do have a baby shower this week which I have to bake for so I'll be able to share those ones next week :goodvibes

Looking forward to meeting up with you and LilPixie for tea, if that works out!

Fingers crossed we can organize something that works with all our schedules :thumbsup2

week-1-2-jpg.148238

week-3-4-jpg.148239

week-5-6-jpg.148240

We've obviously been discussing the trip length here in the report, bit it's hard to fathom the scope of the trip until you lay it out like this. :love: So, are you going to live only out of a carry on bag?

It’s with Royal Caribbean on the Serenade of the Seas and I got a pretty decent rate for it.

I think RC will be good, but I am glad you are cruising them before the Disney Cruise.

So for $200 more I get an extra night and two extra days in the park plus it will be in a much nicer hotel – the Anaheim Marriott.

Good deal :thumbsup2

That’s the two big things I’ve booked since the last update - hopefully I can fill you in on the TSS next time.

J1wbz4sRsVJ84.gif

Wearing these in the parks? :)

The cruise. As someone who has said they’d never cruise I’ve now booked not only one but two cruises (and I don’t even know if I’ll enjoy them yet!).

I've only been on one cruise years ago with my family. Also RC but to Puerto Rico and the Caribbean. One of my favorite vacations. I am prone to motion sickness, but only had one night that I wasn't feeling too great.

I’ll be staying in the smallest room known to man (one of their three studios) but I figure I won’t be spending much time in the room anyway. For the same price of my 3 night cruise on DCL I’m getting 7 nights with RC. Excuse the quality of the pic but they are the only ones I can find which actually show the type of room I’ve booked.

dscn3945-jpg.148246

Looks decent enough. Reminds me of my hotel room in Copenhagen. Small but good enough.

So for $200 more I get an extra night and two extra days in the park plus it will be in a much nicer hotel – the Anaheim Marriott.

NICE!!!!

Oh I’d almost forgotten to show you my Disney (non-park) purchases from my last trip – all from Uniqlo which carry awesome Disney stuff if you’re ever near one.

dsc00929-jpg.148242

Cute finds.

Soooooooo jealous of your trip by the way. No way would I ever get approval for such a long vacation. At most 3 weeks and that's pushing it. Happy for you though and really can't wait to read all about it when the time comes.

Where to start? It’s probably easiest to spreadsheet this one (a spreadsheet is always the answer am I right @Elevationist?) and use it to show you the new additions.

Okay... I'm all set... Let 'er rip.

:eek:

:faint:

tentative surprise stay.

Oooh... what could this be?
Since you fly into MCO and then two days later are in Universal,
I'll go out on a limb and say it's not a surprise visit to Winnipeg.

Rats.

As someone who has said they’d never cruise I’ve now booked not only one but two cruises (and I don’t even know if I’ll enjoy them yet!).

:laughing:

Actually, I'm the same.
Never cruised... not sure if I want to spend money on a vacation that could make me feel sick.

(@pkondz – I tried cruising to Winnipeg but apparently that’s not possible because of the whole being hours away from a coastline thing, jeez).

We have rivers you know!!

dscn3945-jpg.148246

Here's my thought process... in order.
1. Whoa! That's tiny!!!
2. I like it! It's so cozy.

I really thought, "Just how much time are you going to be in your cabin anyway? How much room do you really need?"
If I'm travelling solo, I totally could see doing that.

if any of you have tips about things to do in those ports I’m all ears.

I think I already gave you everything I can think of.
If you like beer (I don't) the Alexander Keith's brewery tour is fun.
Heck, we don't like beer and we still enjoyed it.

Nice!

hopefully I can fill you in on the TSS next time.

soooo curious.

It was just a gentle jab at @pkondz

Thanks. I prefer my jabs to be gentle.

38 Weeks to Go

Seeing as I’ve used the last few weeks’ updates to tell you all about some other parks I thought it time to return to the trip at hand because a lot has happened since I last filled you in on the planning.

View attachment 148238
View attachment 148239
View attachment 148240

As you can see the new additions are the second cruise (although it comes first chronologically), booking Disneyland and the tentative surprise stay. I was hoping to have an answer on that last past before I posted this but I guess I will leave you hanging until I know :rolleyes1.

A bit more detail on the new additions for you. The cruise. As someone who has said they’d never cruise I’ve now booked not only one but two cruises (and I don’t even know if I’ll enjoy them yet!). When looking at other options to fill in my extra week I decided to have a look at some other cruises just to see what was out there. I did the broadest search possible just using the month of departure and I stumbled upon one that sounded interesting and would take me to places in the US I’d never been before as well as taking me on my first visit to Canada (@pkondz – I tried cruising to Winnipeg but apparently that’s not possible because of the whole being hours away from a coastline thing, jeez). It’s with Royal Caribbean on the Serenade of the Seas and I got a pretty decent rate for it.

View attachment 148252

View attachment 148246

The cruise departs from Boston, which is a city I’ve always wanted to visit and makes its way up the New England coast towards Canada before turning back round. It stops in Portland and Bar Harbor in Maine and Saint John and Halifax in Canada so if any of you have tips about things to do in those ports I’m all ears.

So that was the first big thing I’ve booked. But booking it led me to making another booking. Because the cruise is in October (taking advantage of all the beautiful fall foliage) I had to rearrange my initial plan of doing Disneyland before WDW. I’ll now be doing Disneyland in that extra week I have at the end of the trip instead. I started to do some pricing and found of that they were running a special offer through Disney on some good neighbor hotels where you got the 4th night free. This opened up a whole new range of hotels for me. The original plans had me doing three nights with a three day tickets at a moderate hotel for around $730. With the new offer I was able to put a deposit on a four night deluxe package with five day park hoppers for only $930. So for $200 more I get an extra night and two extra days in the park plus it will be in a much nicer hotel – the Anaheim Marriott.

View attachment 148250

View attachment 148251

View attachment 148242

View attachment 148243

View attachment 148244

See you next time folks!

First - I love a spreadsheet!! :-)
Second - Your trip sounds absolutely amazing! Fantastic!

We've obviously been discussing the trip length here in the report, bit it's hard to fathom the scope of the trip until you lay it out like this. :love: So, are you going to live only out of a carry on bag?

I've done six weeks with carry on only in the past but I'm definitely taking luggage this time - got make use of that excellent business class perk!

I think RC will be good, but I am glad you are cruising them before the Disney Cruise.

Me too - especially since I'll be starting with a tiny interior room and ending up with one with a balcony on DCL.

Good deal :thumbsup2

It was - but even though I seem to be getting lots of good deals the price of the trip as a whole is skyrocketing :cutie:

pretty-woman-it-s-very-expensive-frame-1-o.gif

Wearing these in the parks? :)

I reckon I could get away with it :rolleyes1

I've only been on one cruise years ago with my family. Also RC but to Puerto Rico and the Caribbean. One of my favorite vacations. I am prone to motion sickness, but only had one night that I wasn't feeling too great.

That's good to know - I'm usually okay with motion sickness but I've noticed that as I get older the less tolerance I have for it.

Looks decent enough. Reminds me of my hotel room in Copenhagen. Small but good enough.

Small hotel rooms don't bother me either - I think it has something to do with travelling in Asia (rooms in HK and Singapore are tiny) or having backpacked where you have no personal space - so a room of your own is all I really need.

Soooooooo jealous of your trip by the way. No way would I ever get approval for such a long vacation. At most 3 weeks and that's pushing it. Happy for you though and really can't wait to read all about it when the time comes.

Thanks. I'm lucky I have a reasonably good boss and if you save up too much leave they actually make you take it so I'm doing them a favour! :laughing:

:rotfl2:

Oooh... what could this be?
Since you fly into MCO and then two days later are in Universal,
I'll go out on a limb and say it's not a surprise visit to Winnipeg.

Rats.

Winnipeg's just across the road from Orlando right? Or have I stuffed up my big surprise visit :eek:

huge-tiny-.gif

:laughing:

Actually, I'm the same.
Never cruised... not sure if I want to spend money on a vacation that could make me feel sick.

I figure it's allowing me to see more places than I would have otherwise, plus I don't have to unpack and repack for a whole 7 days which will be nice.

Plus they have drugs for sea-sickness

We have rivers you know!!
I know. But let's just say that if you google cruising in Winnipeg you get something completely different :scared1:

Here's my thought process... in order.
1. Whoa! That's tiny!!!
2. I like it! It's so cozy.

I really thought, "Just how much time are you going to be in your cabin anyway? How much room do you really need?"
If I'm travelling solo, I totally could see doing that.

I'm hoping it's your second thought...

I think I already gave you everything I can think of.
If you like beer (I don't) the Alexander Keith's brewery tour is fun.
Heck, we don't like beer and we still enjoyed it.

I should have said you were excused. My apologies...

soooo curious.

How curious? This much?
vqpPVvS.gif

or more like this?

output_v05_VOK.gif

Thanks. I prefer my jabs to be gentle.

That's not what I've heard ;)

Last edited:
Winnipeg's just across the road from Orlando right? Or have I stuffed up my big surprise visit :eek:

Close. Not "across". More like down the road.
A mere 3,200kms. That's only 28 hours if you don't stop.
(Done that once, too.)

I figure it's allowing me to see more places than I would have otherwise, plus I don't have to unpack and repack for a whole 7 days which will be nice.

::yes::

Plus they have drugs for sea-sickness

I don't know if I'll ever do that.
A long time ago, in a country far, far away (Germany)
My sister wasn't feeling up to a long car ride.
So they gave her something for car sickness.
Worked like a charm. For the first time ever, she got car sick and ralphed (see what I did there?) in the car.

I know. But let's just say that if you google cruising in Winnipeg you get something completely different :scared1:

:laughing: And just for fun... I did! And you're right! :lmao:

I should have said you were excused. My apologies...

Love is never having to say you're sorry, so take that back!

That second one didn't work... so.... maybe?

That's not what I've heard ;)

:rolleyes1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter